Class A licenses?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

curlie
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Class A licenses?

Post by curlie »

One of our dune family got a ticket for hauling his toy trailer without a specialized CDL; a type A? Anyway, I just wondered how many of us are breaking the law towing our more than 10,000lb. GVW rigs. And, if you've gone through the process, just how difficult is it?

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by YFZ Bob »

I have had my Class A (All endorsements) since 1985. But that was back then when the CDL TEST was easy.

I have watched at the RV/CDL testing center here in San Bernardino, although some other testing centers may vary with "Happy" DMV Employees... I haven't witness anyone failing one yet. :wink:

RV.Net
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea ... page/1.cfm

California Driver License Classes— Vaild as of January 1, 2005...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_ ... #classanon

Noncommercial Class A License Requirements

Adults:

To obtain an original noncommercial Class A license, you must:

Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
Pay the application fee.
Pass the basic Class C law test (unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past 12 months).
Pass the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test.
Submit a Health Questionnaire dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application.
Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
Pass the skills test.
Pass a driving test towing the type of vehicle you wish to tow.
Minors

Complete the items listed above
Meet the additional requirements listed in the California Driver Handbook in the Provisional License section.
Examinations:

Law test. You must pass the law test based on the information contained in this booklet.
Pre-Trip inspection test. The pre-trip test checks the driver's understanding of the features and equipment on the vehicle which should be inspected before operating the vehicle. This test does not have to be done to both sides of the vehicle for items that are on both sides such as wheels, tires, etc. Inoperable, missing, or unsafe equipment will postpone the driving test .
Skills tests. Skills tests are designed to demonstrate your skill in stopping, backing in a straight line, completing a right turn around a cone or marker, and alley dock.
Driving test. The driving test includes entering and exiting a freeway, freeway driving with lane changes, right and left turns into one-way and two-way traffic, railroad crossings, and driving on a grade or steep hill, etc.
Health Questionnaire. A Health Questionnaire (DL 546) form is required and must be given to DMV for review and approval before your license is issued and then every two years after that. The Health Questionnaire expires two years from your signature date. Failure to maintain a valid Health Questionnaire form with DMV will mean that your license is valid only for Class C and, if endorsed, for Class M1 or M2 vehicles. The Health Questionnaire forms are available at all DMV offices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Trip Inspection for Noncommercial Class A License

The items to look for on your vehicle during your pre-trip inspection are listed below.

Tires, Wheels, Lugs, Rims

Visually check for and describe how you would check:

That tires are inflated properly.
Tires for excessive tread wear, bumps, cuts, cracks, or cut valve stems.
That all wheel fasteners (or lug nuts) are present, tight, and free of rust.
Wheels and rims for cracks and other damage.
Lights

Turn on lights­check that high and low beams work.
Check clearance lights, side marker, and identification lights.
Check that all reflectors are present and not damaged.
Check dash display lights, left and right turn lights, emergency flashers, and headlight high beam.
Brake System­Test Parking Brake

Allow the vehicle to move slowly and apply the parking brake.
Landing Gear

Make sure chains are connected in an X pattern so that the tow bar cannot drop to the ground.
Fifth-Wheel Trailer Hitches:

Check for:

Damaged or missing parts.
Mounting to towing vehicle is secure.
Plate is completely greased.
Sliding fifth-wheel is locked.
Trailer kingpin is not bent or broken.
Trailer Hitches (other than fifth-wheel):

Check for:

Ball firmly seated in coupler.
Coupler is locked to the ball and secured.
Load equalizing arms attached (if using weight distribution hitch).
Antisway devices connected (if used).
Trailer and tow vehicle level to ground.
Connected safety chains, lights, brakes and breakaway switch.
Fire Extinguisher

Locate the fire extinguisher if one is required for your vehicle.

SKILLS TEST

Please make an appointment for your skills test.

DRIVING TEST

Please make an appointment for your driving test.

quad1100

Re: Class A licenses?

Post by quad1100 »

curlie wrote:One of our dune family got a ticket for hauling his toy trailer without a specialized CDL; a type A? Anyway, I just wondered how many of us are breaking the law towing our more than 10,000lb. GVW rigs. And, if you've gone through the process, just how difficult is it?
Wow, that's the first time I heard of a real ticket! Can you supply any details?

Where was he?
Who issued the ticket, CHP?
What does he pull, doubles?

I'm just curious because out of all the guys in our group I am the only one with the class A non-comm, the only other one in our group with a class A drives a tractor trailer for a living.

azpyroguy
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster

Post by azpyroguy »

curlie wrote:One of our dune family got a ticket for hauling his toy trailer without a specialized CDL; a type A? Anyway, I just wondered how many of us are breaking the law towing our more than 10,000lb. GVW rigs. And, if you've gone through the process, just how difficult is it?
We have a 37ft diesel pusher, and 24 foot trailer.. with a GVWR of around 30k total... and in AZ I am not aware of any requirements... if so.. then I am breaking the law to...

When we bought the moho, we asked if we needed anything special, they said not needed...

Maybe its just a Cali thing...
Scott Swenka, Former ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

550hp Tatum Evolution Long Travel
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 40' 5th Wheel
2019 Tesla Model S P100D
2011 Dodge Challenger Blown 426

Dark Matter Armory and Precision

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

In California you need a Class A license if you wish to tow 10,000 or more pounds.

You can drive any motorhome with a Class C (regular ol' car license).

I have had a Class A since they were Class 1 (way back in the 70's) and the only endorsement I don't have and refuse to get is haz mat.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

I have a Commercial Class "A" also, NO Hazmat either.
I think a 5th wheel can weigh up to 15k before the class"A" requirement kicks in?? at least thats the way I read it.
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

YumaDune
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Class A licenses?

Post by YumaDune »

Only in the Kommunist Republik of Kalifornia!! Although after watching a 100K Snow Birds wander aimlessly through Yuma every winter I wonder if this is not a 1/2 bad idea??
It's Just Sand!!!

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob »

SandJaws wrote:Only in the Kommunist Republik of Kalifornia!! Although after watching a 100K Snow Birds wander aimlessly through Yuma every winter I wonder if this is not a 1/2 bad idea??
:lol: One reason I Keep Clear of Quartzite, Az during the Migration months... :lol: I'd admit, it's one of the most interesting places of Swap Meets.

airkuld
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by airkuld »

SandJaws wrote:Only in the Kommunist Republik of Kalifornia!! Although after watching a 100K Snow Birds wander aimlessly through Yuma every winter I wonder if this is not a 1/2 bad idea??
Ya know, as a citizen of the KRK, I gotta say I don't have a problem with people having to be licensed to drive the big sand rigs down the freeway. If your smart enough to earn the money to pay for all that, you should be smart enough to pass the written and drive tests too.

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

Mr Big Wrench wrote:I have a Commercial Class "A" also, NO Hazmat either.
I think a 5th wheel can weigh up to 15k before the class"A" requirement kicks in?? at least thats the way I read it.
This is correct-over 10K for a bumper pull, 15K for a 5th wheel.

azpyroguy-yes, this is ONLY for California....doesn't apply to AZ.
Julie Monroe

azsandrider
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by azsandrider »

Julie's right.

If you reside in Ca then you must adhere to their DL restrictions.

In Az we don't have these requirements and other states must recognize Az DL and registrations due to an interstate agreement. This does not include equipment stuff, like window tint or Az street legal ATVs and Golf Carts.
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

azpyroguy

Post by azpyroguy »

azsandrider wrote:Julie's right.

If you reside in Ca then you must adhere to their DL restrictions.

In Az we don't have these requirements and other states must recognize Az DL and registrations due to an interstate agreement. This does not include equipment stuff, like window tint or Az street legal ATVs and Golf Carts.
Actually from what I found out the Window tint does follow the interstate agreement.. because in my home state of Iowa, they want 90% light pass on drivers and passengers windows.. and AZ allows 65% light pass..

I was stopped by a state pooper up there, for not having a front license plate and dark tint (OK in AZ)... then when he realized that I was from AZ... he was said "Oh... sorry.. AZ has different laws.. carry on.."

The other stuff (Street Legal ATV, etc..) I believe does not carry through on interstate agreements...
Scott Swenka, Former ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

2019 Tesla Model S P100D

curlie
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by curlie »

I believe our duner was coming in to 86 from the Julian side, and I'm pretty sure a CHP pulled him over. He was in a 3/4 ton P/U, pulling a 28' trailer. After going to the DMV and receiving a 138 page manual, a friend who just took the test tells us that there is a short version manual for RV's.

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider »

azpyroguy wrote: Actually from what I found out the Window tint does follow the interstate agreement.. because in my home state of Iowa, they want 90% light pass on drivers and passengers windows.. and AZ allows 65% light pass..

I was stopped by a state pooper up there, for not having a front license plate and dark tint (OK in AZ)... then when he realized that I was from AZ... he was said "Oh... sorry.. AZ has different laws.. carry on.."

The other stuff (Street Legal ATV, etc..) I believe does not carry through on interstate agreements...
In Az, only restrictions we have on window tint is none on the windshield, except for a small band at the top, and the front side windows must allow 33% +-3% light to transmit through. All other windows can be as dark as you want.

I carry a window tint meter and give out quite a few tickets for windows being to dark.

Az only gives out one plate for the rear and other states recognize that. Window tint is not covered in interstate compacts and that Iowa Trooper was either confused or just being nice.
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

azpyroguy

Post by azpyroguy »

azsandrider wrote:
In Az, only restrictions we have on window tint is none on the windshield, except for a small band at the top, and the front side windows must allow 33% +-3% light to transmit through. All other windows can be as dark as you want.

I carry a window tint meter and give out quite a few tickets for windows being to dark.

Az only gives out one plate for the rear and other states recognize that. Window tint is not covered in interstate compacts and that Iowa Trooper was either confused or just being nice.
I have only had one problem with an AZ officer, and unfortunnatley it was in Mesa (sorry azsandrider..), I got wrongfully charged for an accident in 98, even though the other party admitted to the officer that he leaned down to light a smoke, wrongfully changed lanes, had no current insurance, no current plates, and was doing 10 over speed limit.... all he got was one ticket for no insurance, and I got nailed for causing the accident, even though I was hit in the right rear quarter panel...I was only doing 4-5 mph, and was spun 1.5 times, and hopped a curb and rolled to a stop in a parking lot...officer guessed that he was doing 55-60 when he hit me..

However whenever I am back in Iowa, the response to calls is slow, heck in a town of 125k people, I got hit by some lady, and it took 2 hours to get a response!! When that town per capita has the higest ratio of officers to population. I think the last time I checked there were something like 550 officers when I visited back in 2003.

Here is AZ, I have found that when I call (if needed), 20-25 minutes in the most that I have ever had to wait... and if my alarm on my house goes off, my shortest wait was like 3 minutes!!! So I have no complaints on the officers in AZ.. just in Iowa...

2019 Tesla Model S P100D

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

curlie wrote:I believe our duner was coming in to 86 from the Julian side, and I'm pretty sure a CHP pulled him over. He was in a 3/4 ton P/U, pulling a 28' trailer. After going to the DMV and receiving a 138 page manual, a friend who just took the test tells us that there is a short version manual for RV's.
Yes, they do have a thin version of the manual, either version will work. Just skip all the stuff that does not pertain to you if you use the commercial manual ie. Doubles, Air system, hazmat, Etc…. It’s really hard to find anyone at DMV that even knows about this law, I studied out of the commercial book and after all was said and done they handed me the RV version. I just happened to have ran across someone who knew about the law.

This hole thing did not make me a safer driver, but it did make me a legal one.

BTY, I’m sure every technician grades different, but when I took the driving test I got marked down every time I was the first vehicle at a stop light. Apparently when you drive a big rig you come to a stop so you can see the first line of the cross walk, this is so in case there is someone walking in front of your vehicle you can see them. Well I stopped before that line, but you could not see it, really stupid if you ask me because my hood line is not 6 foot off the ground, but I still passed.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

I ... give out quite a few tickets for windows being to dark.
:shock: :? :shock:

:roll: Say, honest to Gawd.

:lol:

Tint on the windows I believe is one of the MAJOR reason's for crime in this nation. :wink:

Right......

If I was a COP, I'd not write for letter of the law tickets, unless it was the 29th of the month and I was a few short of my quota.

No seat belts
No helmet's
Tint

If these are the only infraction, I'd just let them go. There must be bigger law breakers somewhere to nab.

Click it of ticket my arse 8)

These Do not infringe on anyone rights but owners breaking these laws.

What a waste of taxpayers money.

Public safety?
or
Mind and body control by the government?

Flame away... Image

Steve

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

If I was a COP, I'd not write for letter of the law tickets, unless it was the 29th of the month and I was a few short of my quota.
Steve, allow me to educate you a little. "Letter of the law" tickets...no such thing. Letter of the law refers a verbatim interpretation and enforcement of any specific law. It's not a "type" of law as you imply.

If these are the only infraction, I'd just let them go. There must be bigger law breakers somewhere to nab
Yeah, probably. However, cvc (California Vehicle Code) is also used as a TOOL to "nab" "bigger law breakers". I've pulled vehicles over for no front plate, tinted windows, no seat belts, and many other infractions and ended up with a PAL (parolee at large), felony warrant suspects, scum bag dope runner, gang bangers, and other HARD CORE criminals, that may just have been on there way to victimize you or someone you know.

What a waste of taxpayers money
I don't think so (read above), do you???
Public safety?
or
Mind and body control by the government?
Public safety for sure. Most COPS are not out there to jack-up the average citizen. Most of us try hard to do a good job and put bad people away so they don't hurt innocent people. One of the ways we do that is by using the laws to our advantage.

And if you are still not convinced, I invite you come do a ride-a-long with me so you can see for yourself!
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

383STROKERINAK5
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by 383STROKERINAK5 »

Does anyone know of an online class for a Class A license? I want one but don't have the time to go to school. Phil
99 F250 SUPERDUTY 4X4 7.3
80 K5 BLAZER-383 STROKER
01 BANSHEE
92 ALJO FIVER

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob »

383STROKERINAK5 wrote:Does anyone know of an online class for a Class A license? I want one but don't have the time to go to school. Phil
Here's a CDL Pre-Test site... http://www.cristcdl.com/index.html

Whew! Glad I got mine when I did... Six Pax of Soda and a few transmission later. :lol:

Class "A" CDL

Allows you to drive a tractor trailer or a straight truck, but not a passenger or school bus. Written test included: General Knowledge*, Air Brakes*, Combination*, Tanker, Doubles & Triples, & Haz. Mat.

Price Is $4,200.00 :shock:

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

Anybody with decent memory can read the book and pass the test.
The pre trip inspection is probably the toughest part of the exam, so spend time and practice the inspection, nothing tricky, just things you should do anyway.
The drive test isn't too bad, If You have any experience with trailer towing You should be O K

I took the drive test with a Dump Truck/Trailer/Backhoe and passed, If You can back up in a straight line, turn right without hitting the curb or crossing over the center line and If I remember right parrellel park between some cones etc. You should be O K. Just remember the basics of safe driving and go for it.
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

dune flyer
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by dune flyer »

Does the class A "non commercial" change what length you can tow or is the 65' the max in calif. no matter what licence you have.

Glamis Bill
1st Gear Member

Post by Glamis Bill »

Anybody with decent memory can read the book and pass the test.
The pre trip inspection is probably the toughest part of the exam, so spend time and practice the inspection, nothing tricky, just things you should do anyway.
The drive test isn't too bad, If You have any experience with trailer towing You should be O K
This is true. I obtained my Class A commercial licence for the sole purpose of pulling doubles to Glamis. Only two restrictions I have are no air brake and no manual trans. As for the test, the toughest part was the pre-inspection, the rest was pretty straigth forward. Study the booket front to back and practice, practice, and practice.

The funny part was when I pulled into the commercial licensing center with my truck and fifth wheel and told them I was here to take the class A test. There were some seriously puzzled faces in that room. :shock: Finally, the supervisor came up and asked me just what the heck I was doing here. I told her the same thing, here to take the class A test. Well, after a call to Sacramento, she came back and said "you learn something new everyday". It was up hill from there. She dinked me on everything she could during the pretest and with unfavorable results. The second time through, no problems. I had the pretest check off sheet from before to study and a much more friendly officer :D .

The only other pain in the arse is the physical every two years, and I believe that is required for the non commercial as well.

good luck.

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB »

curlie wrote: I just wondered how many of us are breaking the law towing our more than 10,000lb. GVW rigs?
Probably most of us. Ignorance of the law certainly isn't an excuse, but I was not aware of this until now. Funny how the folks that sell trailers that fall into this range fail to mention it to their potential customers, at least not where I got mine. :x

$4200 for a class A Non-com? Really? Yet another reason to hate the ridiculous government in this state :evil:
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

The test/license is only like $50 to $60.
Not sure what the physical costs, but You can pick up form at DMV and have Your Doctor fill it out.
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

bbchevelle
1st Gear Member

what the

Post by bbchevelle »

this is why my rig and my money stays out of kalanofunya i like to spend my money where they welcome me and my family
come on gramps lets hit the dunes

Return to “Wide Open Sand”