Beware if you are selling a quad

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Beware if you are selling a quad

Post by quad1100 »

I had an interesting experience today. I am selling my TRX250r and being a member of the ASA I have read about a couple of scams going on where people take it for a ride round a corner and never see it again, thus leaving a stolen vehicle sitting in front of your house.

My story is a little different, guy calls me up (unlisted number) and wants to come and look at it, I find out he is actually only about 5 minutes away so I ask if he wants to meet me at my house, he say’s sure, so I give him the directions. I get home for my lunch hour expecting him to show up, but after about an hour no luck. Feeling a little concerned, I lock up the house and actually unplug the garage door power. Tell my next-door neighbor to watch out to see if anyone shows up and I went back to work. Well about 2 hours later he tells me there were 2 black guys (the caller sounded black), the neighbor on the other side of him saw them in her back yard, so he starts looking around for the guys and a few minutes later sees them about 5 houses down in a park, they called the police but they never showed up. Eventually the guys were gone, he never saw the vehicle. Well come 5 o’clock I get home and find out my side garage door had been kicked in, actually the doggy door, nothing was missing as far as I could tell. Don’t know if my neighbor spooked them or what? I wonder if they tried opening the garage by pushing the button?

Dang, can’t even trust to sell a vehicle now, what is it coming too…

azsandrider
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by azsandrider »

I will soon be selling my Banshee, my Mule, and a sandrail.

I plan on meeting interested buyers at a shopping center nearby. There is no need to allow strangers acessto your address or see what else is in your garage.

I will also ask for photo ID before any potential test rides and I will record the info. A honest, actual interested buyer may think I'm a little strange but they will understand. A dishonest person acting like a buyer will refuse and quicly leave.

Also, no one gets possession of the item until the check has leared, including a cashiers's check, as they can be faked too. Heck, these days, even cash is is to be suspected!
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg »

Good Advice, I will be selling 2 baja cars here soon and the same applies. They come to your house and check all your stuff out and then it is gone. That s**ks

Need to think about this.

sbheg
Proud ASA Volunteer

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

Wire transfer the money, then you don't have to worry.
Alex

Member of DUNERs, ASA, CORVA, SDORC, BRC, and the human race

RichB

Post by RichB »

azsandrider wrote: I plan on meeting interested buyers at a shopping center nearby. There is no need to allow strangers acessto your address or see what else is in your garage.

Also, no one gets possession of the item until the check has leared, including a cashiers's check, as they can be faked too. Heck, these days, even cash is is to be suspected!
Been doing the same thing for a couple years now. I've had prolly a 1/2 dozen folks set up meetings with me and never show/never hear from them again.....makes me think that not having them over to the house was a wise choice.
ASA Member

Return to “Wide Open Sand”