Olds Hill Trash Situation

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

glamispilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by glamispilot »

The hill has never looked better .
i went out today for a few hours and the hill is clean .judging by the load i hauled in today and last weekend Pepole are finaly getting it.only 6 bags of trash today which is GREAT!!!

This makes me Happy .Tim :D :D :D
"Picking up trash one piece at a time"
Clean Dune's Makes Me Happy
http://www.glamisweather.com

FunRunner
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by FunRunner »

That's good news; the way it should be. The cleanups have certainly helped. It would be neat if everyone would get into keeping the dunes clean. It's the only way to fly. 8)

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

IF ALL the PEEPS cared as much as YOU do, You could Be out of a Job
:lol:
Thanks Again
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog »

That is pretty good. Especially if you consider that Four Stroke Wars were last weekend.

Thanks for your effort Tim.

Barley101
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Barley101 »

That's some good news! Glad to hear that the word is hopefully getting out there to even the idiots!
"Life is a Garden..
Dig it!"
- the immortal words of Joe Dirt

YumaDune
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by YumaDune »

Tim, we were there and picked at least two. To bad the clowns camped in back of us didn't do the same. Sunday morning one of the Mom's tried to get one of them on a quad to slow down. He intenionally swerved towards her! We proceeded to the camp and asked them what's the deal? Their response is there's no rules and they can do what they want? Monday morning we saw the results of no rules... a nice stack of trash.... Go figure.. Next time we'll take pic's and give them to BLM or ISCO.
It's Just Sand!!!

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Sandjaws: We proceeded to the camp and asked them what's the deal? Their response is there's no rules and they can do what they want? Monday morning we saw the results of no rules... a nice stack of trash.... Go figure.. Next time we'll take pic's and give them to BLM or ISCO.

That's not a bad idea; sort of a neighborhood watch type deal. If people can't be responsible, and by their inconsiderate actions, make it bad for everyone else, maybe they need to be watched and reported.

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Olds Hill Trash Situation

Post by f-BOB »

SandJaws wrote:Tim, we were there and picked at least two. To bad the clowns camped in back of us didn't do the same. Sunday morning one of the Mom's tried to get one of them on a quad to slow down. He intenionally swerved towards her! We proceeded to the camp and asked them what's the deal? Their response is there's no rules and they can do what they want? Monday morning we saw the results of no rules... a nice stack of trash.... Go figure.. Next time we'll take pic's and give them to BLM or ISCO.
Did you explain to them that there are rules and consequenses for breaking them? Of course depending on what rule they're breaking, the consequences vary :twisted:
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

alsheppard
1st Gear Member

crowds,trash

Post by alsheppard »

I've been going to Glamis since 1981. You never used to see the trash and the trashy people at the dunes. In the last few years there seems to be a group of people who go to the dunes, not to ride, but to party and raise hell. They party and leave trash all over the place and drink till beer comes out their noses. At New Years kids were parking their cars one foot from the side of my motor home. It was so crowded people were almost in each others camps. I don't know what the answer is but I'll end up staying at the River year round instead of duning in the winter. if it doesn't improve. Terrible, not even fun any more. What's the answer?
AlofCA

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Al, I'm not sure where you camp, but we tired of the noise and show offs, excessive drinking etc., and opted to move our camp spot; that's why we ended up down the washes, where we cluster in groups, and seldom encounter the problems you mention, although we do have our moments of irritation.
I think you run into a lot of the same thing at the river don't you? the scenery might be somewhat better in some instances :wink: Overall, I think it is a matter of respect; and some of the young people seem to lack respect for others, who are not part of their culture.
You don't think it's a case of we're getting too old, do you? :lol:
BTW, welcome aboard; there's plenty of room here, and you hardly ever encounter any out of handedness. :P

theboofooguy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by theboofooguy »

I've been goin to Glamis since '68....Anyone remember 9 Grand Hill? Anyway, I moved to Idaho......the only way I know to be able to dune in peace without all the drunken idiots.... :x

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

Roger said it,
Move somewhere where the "Irritation Factor" is lower.
Too bad We have to change our camping area, but If thats what it takes, I will do it.
YES, I had to deal with a litle more dust, but the closest people were at least 200' away and only 1 night were we interupted by some Jergoff "tuning' His Quad.
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

alsheppard
1st Gear Member

Trash, Partying

Post by alsheppard »

Like most long time duners, I've camped at almost every place there is to camp at the dunes. For the last several years our group has camped at wash 15. I understand that big holidays are crowded and I can live with that. It just seems that in the last few years that Glamis is becoming like spring break to young people. I try not to be an "old fart" but the dunes is becoming less fun. Were not giving up yet but I just wondered if other long time duners were feeling the same way. There is nowhere else like Glamis that is regularly reachable. I just hope it can tone itself down a notch.
AlofCA

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Al, I totally understand your frustration, and I don't really think it's a case of being an old fart. Like Bob said, down the washes, you do get more dust, on a busy weekend, but the pads are awfully busy.
We were camping at Wash 14, where I heard, there is a memorial, for our deceased buddy, Marty. I haven't seen it yet;
Part of the problem, is just the increased popularity of Glamis, and not all of the craziness is the young crowd. The performance of the vehicles has gotten out of hand; that's just my opinion, but I'm sure there are many long time duners who share that sentiment.
It's part of the reason people move from a state, such as CA. It gets to the point where it is hard to escape the idiots; So Cal has it all, but the high cost of living there, doesn't just pertain to the cost of housing. :(

alsheppard
1st Gear Member

Partying, Trash, People

Post by alsheppard »

Roger-

You're absolutely right, hit it on the head. Guess we'll hang in there and see what happens. We love the dunes.

Thanks for your insight.
AlofCA

OBSESSED

Re: Trash, Partying

Post by OBSESSED »

alsheppard wrote:Like most long time duners, I've camped at almost every place there is to camp at the dunes. For the last several years our group has camped at wash 15. I understand that big holidays are crowded and I can live with that. It just seems that in the last few years that Glamis is becoming like spring break to young people. I try not to be an "old fart" but the dunes is becoming less fun. Were not giving up yet but I just wondered if other long time duners were feeling the same way. There is nowhere else like Glamis that is regularly reachable. I just hope it can tone itself down a notch.
I Understand & Feel your pain...

TG 2004 was my last. I can take and handle the idiots, however, the duning safety factor is lacking.

Since Cathy and I can take off almost any weekend, we just may not dune/camp/whatever on any of the **six major weekends** ANYMORE/ever

It's more that the dunes get so tore up by the 2500lb rails with no ackerman steering that push the sand in every turn. It's like duning over speed bumps. Not fun...

I know, it's all part of the whole Glamis experience, it is just I will be passing on that part starting soon.

I may go out the weekend before on all these weekends:
**Haloween
**Thanks Giving
**New Years
**MLK
**Presidents
**Easter

Cathy and I have been talking about it for a couple of years now…
Why endure Rudeness/Crowded Areas/Unsafe Dunes?

Anyway, we have two rails so we are not susceptible to the wait when another rail can't go.

Since we can go any weekend, the only reason we’d keep going is the Dune Fellowship and the campfire stories…

Steve
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

RichB
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by RichB »

The $64,000 question is where can you go to get away from it? We started out on Gecko and then switched to Wash 16 for all the reasons already mentioned however, the last time I was at Wash 16 it was just like Gecko, only with dust heaped on top. :( It amazes me that people don't think AT ALL about others. I mean, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if you blast music with mega bass speakers 4' from someone else's trailer (@ 2a.m.) you'll be negatively impacting them.

My family doesn't have much of an option for Glamis on non-holiday weekends and we only get there once or twice a year so we're trying to mitigate as much of the bad parameters as possible, it's just getting very hard to have a sane camp expereince.

It's a **** shame that duning errr partying at the dunes, has become the thing to do. A lot of the new generation of silver spoon 30-somethings and punk teen/early twenties people are not the typical off-roader we think of. Matter of fact, I don't even like calling them duners or off-roaders, they're posers, and yes, I mean poser as a derogatory label.

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Trash, Partying

Post by Ross & Alice »

alsheppard wrote:Like most long time duners, I've camped at almost every place there is to camp at the dunes. For the last several years our group has camped at wash 15. I understand that big holidays are crowded and I can live with that. It just seems that in the last few years that Glamis is becoming like spring break to young people. I try not to be an "old fart" but the dunes is becoming less fun. Were not giving up yet but I just wondered if other long time duners were feeling the same way. There is nowhere else like Glamis that is regularly reachable. I just hope it can tone itself down a notch.
Nothing beats Glamis, but Dumont seems to have less hassles.
Ride Safer by Riding Sober
Friends of Dumont Dunes

alsheppard
1st Gear Member

Dumont

Post by alsheppard »

I've never been to Dumont. I've heard stories. Is the riding any good? What is the camping like? Maybe I should go there for a change of pace. What do other duners think of Dumont?
AlofCA

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

Been there Done that.
Holiday weekends are crowded, but not as bad as Glamis.
I think it is more FAMILY friendly.
I need to get back out there soooon.
JM0.02
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

Ross & Alice
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Dumont

Post by Ross & Alice »

alsheppard wrote:I've never been to Dumont. I've heard stories. Is the riding any good? What is the camping like? Maybe I should go there for a change of pace. What do other duners think of Dumont?
Riding is awsum especially if you have a head for heights and can handle razors.
Camping is easy,, A-Holes are easily rounded up by the LEO's.
Off weekends are awsum,, holidays aren't as bad as some say IMHO.
Glamis Annual pass is no good at Dumont,, ya have to pay seperate.
Cleanup coming soon.

The photo gallery doesn't seem to work here anymore so I can't post any pix.
Ride Safer by Riding Sober
Friends of Dumont Dunes

jhitesma

Re: Dumont

Post by jhitesma »

Trailer Park Casanova wrote: The photo gallery doesn't seem to work here anymore so I can't post any pix.
What's not working? No one else has reported anything lately.

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Obsessed:
Since we can go any weekend, the only reason we’d keep going is the Dune Fellowship and the campfire stories…
Well, there you have it in a nutshell; it's all about the comradery and fellowship of other duners to run with; a lot of the people can only get away on those big weekends, and point to that. If you're lucky enough to have a few compatible duners to run with on the off-weekends, that is likely the time to go.

RichB

Post by RichB »

We never have a shortage of great folks to hang with but it can be so blunted by aholes nearby it takes away from the enjoyment.

I cherish the dune time with terrific friends but with the expense of just getting to the dunes so high it sucks to get there and have to constantly worry about unruley neighbors parked on top of you and worrying about the kids cause people are driving through the middle of your camp (despite best efforts) etc etc.

It's a darn shame a good relaxing holiday weekend to the dunes is the exception rather than the norm.

alsheppard
1st Gear Member

Post by alsheppard »

You all are so right. I've read all of the posts from you veteran duners and it seems the same. Everybody loves the riding, driving and the camping and the fun times. Good people and good times. Ever stop and think about how many people never get to sit around a camp fire? Duning is a wonderful pastime. I hate to see it spoiled by people who can't see it for what it really is. Maybe the party till you puke fad will wear off and real duners will be able to enjoy the sand like they used to.
AlofCA

Return to “Wide Open Sand”