BuggyWorld experiences???

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

railcrzy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

BuggyWorld experiences???

Post by railcrzy »

How has your BUGGYWORLD experiences been? :evil:

Well I know im not the only one dissapointed in BUGGYWORLD, and im not up for being sued for slander, BUT WHAT A BUNCH OR CRAP. :x

I had a tranny buit by HIM and i told him i wanted a 091 built. Im building a 4 seater chenowth with possible turbo.

NO PROBLEM!

Well i dont know much about trannies except my last one i broke the ring and pionion and I had it rebuit by Rancho (sorry rancho should have came back) and rancho said u need this and that. R&P 486 bla bla bla.

Well why I dont know but i went to BUGGYWORLD HE offered to build me a new tranny for my new car. So I said ok to whatever, figuring he knew what do, and what i needed.. :?

Well he 1st sold me a 92 trans telling me its all the same as o91. Then 4th trip to glamis my R&P broke.

After meeting some fellow duners and how they were very disappointed with BW i took my broken tranny to another shop and inquired that it was a 538 R&P they said too week they would have never buit it that way.

Well when i asked him about using a 486 he said " If you could find one"
All the tranny shops for buggies have them they are $350. hE JUST USED WHAT HE HAD ON HIS SHELF.

So im about done venting, any how now my 1st and 2nd cluster is not set up ideal for my NEw 486 R&P that I should have had in the first place.

I asked HIM about helping me out on a new r&P or Cluster or anything all i got was There is no warranty, and he said i need to take my foot out of it, HE HAS heard im hard on sh** Hello hence OFFROAD
Long story short, I would never go back to BUGGYWORLD

By the way my brother bought and sold the same year one of HIS cars, the front end was braking of everytime he hit a bump. :shock: trash
Go Hard or Go Home!

Larry
http://WWW.ROOFSBYBAKER.COM

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander »

I think we have all shared your experiences and it is very frustrating when you feel like you are be taken advantage of or even cheated. Engines and trannys have always been a purchase made on faith because once it is together you can’t see what they did. I have lost faith in many shops because of poor workmanship. Live and learn. I always try to learn from my mistakes and never make the same mistake twice, but it seems no matter what I do I learn something new everyday. Some days are better than others.

Once you find a reliable tranny guy with a good reputation STAY WITH HIM. He may take longer than other shops because word of mouth is the best selling tool and he will have lots of customers in line before you. This is a good thing.

Nothing lasts forever and duning is hard on everything mechanical. Some guys drive hard and feel that’s what they built it for and if it breaks that’s the price of having fun. Some drivers are easier on their machines and try not to break things. Most I think are in the middle of the two extremes.

Now about driving-
A driver’s driving habits directly relate to how long your tranny will last. If you like to drop the hammer from a dead stop be sure you preload the tranny before you launch. Preloading the tranny is when you ease out the clutch until you feel the tranny just start to engage, but you are still on the edge of moving. Now let the clutch out and go for it. If you hold the clutch all the way in and then release it all at once that puts a shock through the tranny that will shorten its life span.

If you jump or the rear wheels come off the ground, are you on the gas when you land? Try to at least be neutral on the throttle when you land. Some drivers push the clutch in when they land to take the strain off of the tranny when the spinning wheels find traction when you land. An exception would be if you are making a mid air correction by revving the engine or hitting the brakes while you are airborne. Gassing it in the air brings the front end up a little and tapping the brakes brings the front end down a lot. If you hit the brakes too much you could endo. A lot of drivers like to be on the gas when they land because it smoothes out the landing and it does do that, but it is hard on the tranny.

Turning brakes may shorten the life span of a tranny. It seems to be open to debate. I learned that using a lot of steering brakes is hard on the tranny, but I have had some duners tell me it doesn't make much difference. I would take the advice of your tranny builder on this one. He should know. Consider him like a priest and be honest to him on how you drive. He may have some suggestions on how to make your tranny last longer, and that will help keep up the fun factor in duning.

I don’t want to sound preachy, but everything listed above I learned the hard way. I hope my advice will help somebody from making the same mistakes.
Last edited by Sand Commander on Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

azpyroguy
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster

Post by azpyroguy »

I am nearing the end of my second season with my Arizona Transaxle built 2D4S-HD (upgraded input shaft, and output bearings), and it does not feel a bit different than it did the day I got it... in fact shifting is still nice and tight. I never use reverse under power, only idle or slight above idle, I never use that "use your starter to get unstuck trick", when I go airborne I try to disengage the clutch, and rarely have I ever landed under power (only by accident a few times), I use my turning breaks extensively.....

So if you looking for a good Tranny Builder, I suggest Arizona Transaxle, is a bit slow, but I think that he builds really good gear boxes.

Scott.
Sand Commander wrote:I think we have all shared you experiences
and it is very frustrating when you feel like you are be taken advantage of or even cheated. Engines and trannys have always been a purchase made on faith because once it is together you can’t see what they did. I have lost faith in many shops because of poor workmanship. Live and learn. I always try to learn from my mistakes and never make the same mistake twice, but it seems no matter what I do I learn something new everyday. Some days are better than others.

Once you find a reliable tranny guy with a good reputation STAY WITH HIM. He may take longer than other shops because word of mouth is the best selling tool and he will have lots of customers in line before you. This is a good thing.

Nothing lasts forever and duning is hard on everything mechanical. Some guys drive hard and feel that’s what they built it for and if it breaks that’s the price of having fun. Some drivers are easier on their machines and try not to break things. Most I think are in the middle of the two extremes.

Now about driving-
A driver’s driving habits directly relate to how long your tranny will last. If you like to drop the hammer from a dead stop be sure you preload the tranny before you launch. Preloading the tranny is when you ease out the clutch until you feel the tranny just start to engage, but you are still on the edge of moving. Now let the clutch out and go for it. If you hold the clutch all the way in and then release it all at once that puts a shock through the tranny that will shorten its life span.

If you jump or the rear wheels come off the ground, are you on the gas when you land? Try to at least be neutral on the throttle when you land. Some drivers push the clutch in when they land to take the strain off of the tranny when the spinning wheels find traction when you land. An exception would be if you are making a mid air correction by revving the engine or hitting the brakes while you are airborne. Gassing it in the air brings the front end up a little and tapping the brakes brings the front end down a lot. If you hit the brakes too much you could endo. A lot of drivers like to be on the gas when they land because it smoothes out the landing and it does do that, but it is hard on the tranny.

Turning brakes may shorten the life span of a tranny. It seems to be open to debate. I learned that using a lot of steering brakes is hard on the tranny, but I have had some duners tell me it doesn't make much difference. I would take the advice of your tranny builder on this one. He should know. Consider him like a priest and be honest to him on how you drive. He may have some suggestions on how to make your tranny last longer, and that will help keep up the fun factor in duning.

I don’t want to sound preachy, but everything listed above I learned the hard way. I hope my advice will help somebody from making the same mistakes.
Scott Swenka, Former ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

550hp Tatum Evolution Long Travel
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 40' 5th Wheel
2019 Tesla Model S P100D
2011 Dodge Challenger Blown 426

Dark Matter Armory and Precision

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by norocksplease »

I agree with azpyroguy, if you ask around, there are many unhappy mendeola owners, but the ones that are happy, usually bought theirs from AZ transaxle. Don't know what they do that's so special, but something is special about their work.

railcrzy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by railcrzy »

Well after talking to a few tranny shops and friends with the tranny knowledge.

Not 1 person said they would have sold me a "BUILT" IRS tranny for a big car and motor that would have a 538 R&P. For $2000 at that.

It probably works fine for the 91 freeway. 8)

I was told by everyone 486 or even I think 450 would be used.

I hope this thread helps others who may not know what they want in a tranny.

The Right Gear Box is doing mine now, they are very helpful in educating me and advising of what to use on different apps.

Yeah they are very busy too. Thats a good thing.
Go Hard or Go Home!

Larry
http://WWW.ROOFSBYBAKER.COM

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound »

I had it rebuit by Rancho (sorry rancho should have came back)
The Right Gear Box is doing mine now
Listen to your inner voice Railcrzy...Rancho has never let me down (nothing against wright gear box)!!
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

SANDMAN
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by SANDMAN »

I have used Wright Gearbox, Rancho and Stuff Vw (San Jacinto) and ALL of them where honest and fair priced. That was in a 3 year time span. So, yes Larry I guess Iam hard on my stuff too. :lol: :wink:
Pete De Palma
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Wolfpack
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Wolfpack »

MY one and ONLY BuggyWorld experience came back in about 1999 or 2000 just after I bought a used 2 seat beater made by Sand Toys. I was new to the sand scene and was basically looking for information on how to improve the suspension, and if they could do what I was considering. I have to tell ya', I left there feelin' like a complete dope. I have never stopped back in, and as I have reason to drive by there often I find it surprising that they are still there if they treat other potential customers as I was. I tell myself maybe I caught'em on a bad day - but my gut has told me not to give them my business. And I haven't.

I found this tidbit attached to the monitor of my insurance agent: "Your customer may forget what you said. But they will never forget how you made them feel." I wonder if they'd get it.

As for tranny work, I went to KCR Transmissions, 9000 Arlington, #108 Riverside, CA 92503, (951) 688-1904, based upon word of mouth that I had heard. Told'em what I was runnin', how I drove, and what I thought I wanted. 5 seasons later that tranny is as solid as the day I brought it home. It sprung a little oil leak right outta' the chute, and they fixed that no questions asked. I'll go back to them without hesitation.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

WildomarVoice.com

Return to “Wide Open Sand”