Glamis mishaps...

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Glamis mishaps...

Post by norocksplease »

Anyone got some funny pictures, videos, or stories to tell about funny stuff and goof ups that happened at glamis?

I'll start

Found this on google
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ar&pl=true

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck »

From the Fun Stuff Photos Album:

Heidi the Dog says.."Always be sure to wear protective eyewear while riding in the dunes and desert!"

Faceplant - Noah shows us the proper way to faceplant in a sand dune at Gordons.

"Suburban sinks like rock" - Walt Manchur submitted this pic of his friend Ed Wyatt's Suburban in some winter-time Winchester Bay quicksand.

Jean Bindels sent this photo in without any info. It just looked like "stuck x 3" to me. :shock:

There's more in the
Click the Pic

If anyone has some they want to have in the album, send them to funstuff@americansandassociation.org
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

kev
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by kev »

Not Glamis, but pretty cool...

http://www.break.com/index/sanddune1.html

RacingRay
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by RacingRay »

I did one last trip out real similar to the roost video. My son got stuck (finally, usually it is me) So I hook up the strap to pull him out. My other son stands behind me not in front naturally and I start to pull well it's real soft so I am thinking I gotta pull him through a ways. I feel it tugging real hard and my sons yelling something as loud as he can but I can't see a thing so I am thinking I got to pull harder. With 2 LS1s screaming you can't hear much anyways. Well finally I come to a dead stop and now I am stuck again. I get out to survey the situation and when I look behind me all I see is WET sand a big pile where my sons car should be. No people no car just a small dune behind me. My thoughts were oh &#$@!) they are going to be mad!!! They were indeed! All I could think of to say was next time try standing in front of me and giving me some hand signals. This is one I promised them some day we could sit around the fire and laugh about but they still don't see the humor in it yet. :lol:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

GREAT!!!! Now if he didn't gas it right when he did he would have rolled down that hill? That's SKILL

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

SANDUNERS
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by SANDUNERS »

Sometimes when your the lead and look back,,, you go down into something you didn't want to... :wink:

The canvas roof had an inch of sand on top! DON'T try reverse in VERY SOFT SAND... (it don't work) :wink:
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Witches eyes come in all sizes. Took us 2 minutes to turn it 90 degrees 2 hours to get it out. Quad and 4 people pushing wouldn't do it. Another Baja tried, it got stuck. A jeep tried but he started digging in too, and said screw that. It was a Suzuki Samurai that pulled me out WITH EASE

Same trip. I call it a wash 3 lowering kit. Six years later though this truck helped pull a newer 4X4 F350 with a 30 ft WW out of a hole in wash 16. What a difference new wider tires make :D

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

azpyroguy
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster
ASA Board Member • CF Chairman • Webmaster

Re: Glamis mishaps...

Post by azpyroguy »

norocksplease wrote:Anyone got some funny pictures, videos, or stories to tell about funny stuff and goof ups that happened at glamis?

I'll start

Found this on google
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... ar&pl=true

I would say that this would be an excellent place to put the pictures of us digging Bob Mason out the weekend of March 18 in Buttercup... he was following me.. I caught the edge of the witches eye... he went straight into it.. and flatened both his front tires, and stratteled the witches eye....there was about 2-3 feet under his car...

The funny thing is that we were doing no more than 10-15mph when it happened...

Jerry - you still go those pics....
Scott Swenka, Former ASA Board of Directors, Chairman - ASA CF Program & ASA Website Admin

550hp Tatum Evolution Long Travel
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7
2008 Keystone Fuzion 382 40' 5th Wheel
2019 Tesla Model S P100D
2011 Dodge Challenger Blown 426

Dark Matter Armory and Precision

Jerry Seaver
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Jerry Seaver »

Bob been going to the dunes for 35 plus years. Goes to show you that things like this can happen to anyone. He hit this going slow, if he had been going faster it could have been bad.

Both front tires were de-beaded.

He pulled the tires off, cleaned the sand out and re-installed the tires and was good to go.

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by YFZ Bob »

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

My first evening trip out to Buttercup when I visited Yuma for the first time:

Matt had a little mishap with his truck:

And of course the friend who went to get him out had his own mishap (in his dad's truck no less, he had ridden his harley down from PHX for the weekend and didn't have his own truck with him):

A few months later I got to experience the north dunes for the first time...and learned both what a witches eye is - and why when someone says "follow me and stay in my tracks" you should stay in their tracks!

You can see his tracks just to the right of the eye in this shot...the tracks I was supposed to follow:

The dirty socks on my antenna were my flag. Being my first trip I thought flags were only required on OHV's - thankfully the ranger who pulled me over was very friendly (despite it being thanksgiving) and said as long as I had "something flag like" 6' above the ground by the time he got back from his truck he'd let me off. The dirty socks were the first thing I had on hand. He took one look at them...laughed a little...and said to "be safe" then let me go:

In the end after getting unstuck I did eventually find a way to the top of olds though:

You would think that by the time I had my rail I'd have learned. In my defense a great line in Matt's rail is seldom even a decent line in mine:

And even Matt's rail has had it's own share of issues. I wasn't there when it happened but apparently both inner heims on the lower A-arm failed at the same time while he was ideling around:

Thankfully our worst problems happen when there are no cameras around :D

Return to “Wide Open Sand”