gas-hogging, noise-making, peace-disrupting, human-carrying

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

gas-hogging, noise-making, peace-disrupting, human-carrying

Post by Rekd »

Attn: "gas-hogging, noise-making, peace-disrupting, human-carrying machine" owners..

Please stay out of Death Valley. You are ruining it for the rest of us Volvo driving hippy/asian americans.

Mkaythks :wink:
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash »

If THAT'S not the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is.

The writer is also, apparently, a racist. (Calling his friend or himself an "Asian-American")

For those of you that may misinterpret the above statement, I have deduced that anyone who tries to attach their race heritage to their standing as an AMERICAN is nothing more than a RACIST plane and simple. However, I DO feel if the person is less than two generations removed from their original country it is OK. So, by my definition the person does have a chance of not being racist, but, really, what does race have do with this article WHAT SO EVER???? Why would they even want or care to label themselves when it appears all they were trying to do is bash people in bigger rigs than theirs?? What an idiot.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Re: gas-hogging, noise-making, peace-disrupting, human-carry

Post by Sloppyduner »

Rekd wrote:Attn: "gas-hogging, noise-making, peace-disrupting, human-carrying machine" owners..

Please stay out of Death Valley. You are ruining it for the rest of us Volvo driving hippy/asian americans.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

Actually, I found this article to be somewhat silly and humorous.

The Volvo transportation sends up a liberal flag as well as the position of disdain for the brutes that interrupted the natural tranquility of the trail.

crash wrote:
Why would they even want or care to label themselves
It seems that these labels were written so as to present the writer and the writer's pal as being distinctly separate in culture and attitude from the American Neanderthals who were deemed recklessly charging through the pristine land.

crash

Post by crash »

The funny thing is, if memory serves, I believe Ford is the majority owner of Volvo, so while trying to distance themselves from those "peace disrupting" machines they unknowingly are driving, not only a vehicle themselves, but one that is made by the same parent company as the ones they are bashing!!! SOOO hypocritical it's funny, your right!! :lol:

crash

Post by crash »

This from Wikipedia:

"Renault owns Samsung Motors (Renault Samsung Motors) and Dacia., as well as retaining a minority (but controlling) stake (20%) in the Volvo Group. (Volvo passenger cars are now a subsidiary of the Ford Motor company)."

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

Most of the extremely noisy machines were the standard Jeep Wrangler model souped up with some four-wheel drive modifications, but also a few large black Suburbans jacked-up with enough clearance to run over a coyote without touching its hide, and even some random American four wheel drive trucks.
I like the education of this author. It implies that Jeeps and Suburbans (Chevy) aren't "American four wheel dirve trucks"... :roll:
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

crash

Post by crash »

That's pretty much what I was getting at. He's taking a swipe at ALL American made 4X4s when the reality is this asshat is driving one!!!!

I LOVE when people think they are "holier than thou" yet the more they move their mouth, or in this case type on a keyboard, the more they just look like idiots!!!! :lol:

DunePrincess
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by DunePrincess »

Amen!!!!!
Dune Princess
a.k.a Mrs. Grumpy Wookie

crash

Post by crash »

Here's what this schmuck has to say about the NBA:

"However, with the NBA All-Star game being held in Las Vegas that weekend, there was also an obvious flight path, as easy to spot as the constellation, with a row of airplanes across the entire night sky carrying fans to watch the spectacle unfold. One reporter called the basketball debauchery the Hip Hop Woodstock."

And a remark about where HE came from:

"We tried to ignore the fact that the beautiful Eastern Sierras are even to this day being drained by greedy developers. Yes, this infamous valley has pipes running all the way south in order for the Babylon whence we came to exist."

Again as if he isn't doing the EXACT SAME THING!!!

"The night before a jeep had approached the dirt road off which we were camped. You could hear it coming seemingly forever. For miles the low rumble of the engine and the squeak of the suspension of the off road vehicle could be perceived."

Another slam to us 4 wheelers:

"...and worthy of the long trek out those 27 miles, past obnoxious trains of four-wheel drive vehicles, dusty washboard roads, and the rattling of the tin in the wind at Tea Kettle Junction."

crash

Post by crash »

Here's the asshats bios:

Terah Shelton (14 articles )

I'm a freelance travel writer based in Atlanta. I’ve watched the sunrise at the beginning of America, trekked through the jungles of the Bokeo Nature Reserve, searched for William Clark’s grave in St. Louis, hustled gondoliers for free gondola rides in Venice, sailed the Mekong River in Thailand, learned the art of Laotian cooking in Vientiane, studied the Soufriere Hills Volcano on Montserrat, walked the Slovenian Coast, and much more. My work has appeared in numerous magazines and newspapers (trade and consumer) including Byline, Southern Arts Journal, Beauty Store Business, Event Solutions, Industry, Nuts 4 Chic, Not for Tourists, Intelliguide Professional, STAR Service Online, Trips and Journeys, Go World Travel, Bootsnall, and the Arkansas Traveler. I'm a travel contributor to the Gwinnett Daily Post and Accent Gwinnett. I'm also the founder and editor of Traveler's Pen, a blog addressing and answering travel related questions, and a former blogger for WrittenRoad.com, noted as one of Writer's Digest's 101 Top Websites for Writers and Vagablond.com, an e-zine dedicated to upscale travel. I also teach 'How to Travel the World on Your Budget' at Emory University and online.

Find out more at : http://www.terahs.com

Last 5 articles for this contributor :

100 Greatest Adventure Books of All Time
Leave No Trace Principles
The Outdoor Enthusiast Next Door: Jacob van der Merwe (Part 2)
The Outdoor Enthusiast Next Door: Jacob van der Merwe (Part 1)
Question of the Week: Earth Day

E. Raphael Harris (153 articles )

Hi there! Thank you for visiting outdoor-weblog.com. My life leads me down a path that winds through this vast globe searching for the ultimate expression of the natural world. My love for nature, sports, and travel stems from growing up under the shadow of Mt. Tamalpais, also known as The Sleeping Princess for its picturesque sillouhette. The second tallest peak in the Bay Area is an incredible biome with hundred-foot Redwood trees and pristine fresh water lakes. My friends and I grew up surfing, hiking, rockclimbing, downhill skateboarding, swimming and exploring all the nooks and crannies that this unique state park had to offer. This is how I discovered that one of the best ways to imbue the wonders that this biosphere has to offer is to get out there and participate in adventure sports. Since those days of charging around Mt. Tamalpais and trips to the Sierras to snowboard and backpack, my travels have taken me to many wonderful countries. The list includes: Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Ecuador, and parts of Europe including Slovenia and Croatia. Everywhere I have traveled the mystique of the natural world unleashes my senses and excites my imagination. This is the place to come for stories about adventure and travel within the Golden State of California and beyond. I will be providing you (the outdoor enthusiast) with images and words that will inspire you to get off your couch and into nature. Only when free from the lure of TV and the comforts of home can you experience what is offered every single day in sacred places that reside outside the vortex of urban sprawl.

E. R. (Emergency Room) Harris has a BA in English from the University of California at Santa Barbara and a Single Subject Clear Credential in Physical Education from San Francisco State University. Also schooled in the punishing waves of Ocean Beach at the turn of the century and the power of the natural world on a daily basis from birth.

crash

Post by crash »

That second guy sounds like he's GOT to be good buddies with my good buddy DP!! :?

crash

Post by crash »

I tried to send a nice little reply to these guys, but the security code window just shows as a red X. Maybe someone else can pass along our thoughts. Here's the comment/bio area. It's at the bottom of the page.

http://www.outdoor-weblog.com/contributors.php

I think it would be great if the other side of the probable story was told on that blog.

"We were having a great rock crawling session until we met these two hippies in a Volvo that were coming the other way. They were outside their vehicle with a shovel and pick ax tearing up the trail to make it more of a road so they could get their little Volvo into some of, what had been until then some of the most technical driving of our trip. These jackholes insisted on US going off the trail to go around them, instead of them backing up only about 20 yards into a wide section so the five of our vehicles could pass. Then they started commenting about how we "really tore up the hillside going around them", and wanted to know what WE were going to do to repair it? We then gave them the one finger salute and continued on our way down, what had now become, a road thanks to these idiots. One just has to wonder. What are uninformed, ill prepared idiots like that doing in a beautiful place like this? Have they never heard of the buddy system? Anyway, about a week later we heard a tale about these two guys in a Volvo that got their car destroyed by a bear cause they apparently didn't know to keep their food outside in a tree. The ranger that was telling us the tale said he couldn't see how they even got into the area they were in as they had to use helocopters to remove both the occupants AND their now destroyed Volvo. I just smiled and we continued on our way."

8) :lol: :lol: 8)

crash

Post by crash »

HEY!!! Found this on the same site:

I love the outdoors. I always have. I spent a good portion of my youth in Oregon hanging out in the deep backwoods of Smith River Road. My time in Oregon is something I cherish to this day. It taught me a lot about respect for the outdoors at a young age.

I spent another large part of my youth in the San Bernardino Mountains and deserts. From Little Mountain to Glen Helen to Arrowhead to Waterman Canyon where my oldest brother's ashes are spread.

As I got older, I started getting more into off-roading, continued hiking, camping, surfing and any number of other outdoor activities. I carry my respect for the out-doors with me most times, and while I try not to judge other people for their beliefs, sometimes I can't help myself.

Like now.

A fellow blogger and outdoor enthusiast recently wrote a post over at the Outdoor Weblog about a trip to Death Valley and an encounter with a group of off-roaders who were out to enjoy the same area that our fellow blogger was enjoying.

The post reads like off-roaders are some kind of thugs that don't have any respect for anyone or anything. The rant states:

The chain of grinding pistons and crunching gravel made such a disruptive commotion in the tranquil valley that I was startled - as if from a peaceful dream, to the reality of a Monday morning alarm clock.

they were not too fond of us, a hippy and an Asian- American rolling past them in a Volvo All Wheel Drive.

so on past the line of gas-hogging, noise-making, peace-disrupting, human-carrying machines and out of the flat valley we continued our journey.

So because this fellow is a "hippy" and/or "Asian American" and drives a Volvo, somehow that makes them better than those that ride American made 4x4s? (Which, by the way, the brands our friend listed, Jeep and Suburban (Chevy), are both American.

What this fellow blogger doesn't realize is just how much effort us "gas-hogging", "noise-making", "peace-disrupting" "human-carrying machine" driving people go through to make sure we have as little impact on the environment as possible.

I would suggest taking a look at places like the ASA and other off-road sites to see just how much we, as fellow outdoorsmen, do to make sure we take care of it where we play.

[edit]
Here are a few places to look...

Off-Road.com's official stance on the environment and off-roading
SDORC - About Us
Nevada Off-road
4Wheeler's Code Of Conduct
About Virginia Beach Jeeps Off-Road - Virginia Beach Jeeps Off-Road (Virginia Beach, VA) - Meetup.com
- Dirt Road Magazine - Jeep Club Information - (dirtroad.com)
Wheels24 - Drive Out
Land Rover US - Environmental Respect

BRAVO!!! BRAVO!!! :D :D :D

crash

Post by crash »

I've visited this blog before, but didn't realize that there were all these other areas. I am recognizing some blogs and can't remember if it was from llinks on this BBS but this is worth a look, even if somebody else has already tried to show us this, here it is again:

http://www.undermyhelmet.com/

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

Crash, Under My Helmet is my blog. The outdoor blog is part of the same blogging network. (We both get paid by the same people for blogging).

How bad is it when you troll members of your own blog network?? :wink:
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

Flipper
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Flipper »

The chain of grinding pistons and crunching gravel.
If I only need air in my tire, the grinding of my pistons doesn't matter :?: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This guy is "silllyy stuiped", I always hear my rods knock before the pistons grind! :mrgreen:
We need to add some chlorine to the gene pool!

If you don't respect the dunes, who will respect you? Pack It In, Pack It Out

Return to “Wide Open Sand”