New California Laws effective 7/1/07

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

I received this in an e-mail from one of my co-workers. Any truth to it?

New Driving Fines for 2007
1. Carpool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 posted on the highway is old). Don't do it again because 2nd time is going to be double. 3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.
2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don't cross the lane on solid lines or intersections.
3. Block intersection - $485
4. Driving on the shoulder - $450
5. Cell phone use in the construction zone. - Double fine as of 07/01/07. Cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving.
6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and drivers get tickets .
7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.
8. DUI = JAIL (Stays on your driving record for 10 years!)
9. As of 07/01/07 cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving. Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy - easy money for police department.
I thought the carpool violation was rasied from $271 to $341 a couple years ago? :?
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

Good thing my cell phone is broken and I am too lazy to get a new one... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash »

I just looked in a 2006 drivers handbook for both commercial and regular licenses. As far as I can see, chnaging lanes in an intersection is OK. I was suprised because I was taught by a commercial license holder that it was OK for class C vehicles, but not for commercial vehicles. It even has pictures in the commercial handbook showing changing of lanes while making turns through intersections. Very surprising to me. Maybe that's ALL changed for 2007, but I doubt it.

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Rekd »

crash wrote:As far as I can see, chnaging lanes in an intersection is OK.
I think it depends on the intersection. There are some intersections that have a dotted white line going right to the intersection, others that have a dotted white line going close to the intersection, then going solid to the intersection.

Here's how I base my (albeit ignorant) decisions; if the line is dotted, it's ok to cross it. If it goes solid, don't cross it.
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

crash

Post by crash »

I'm talking about WITHIN the intersection. Oh, and those solid white limit lines make it pretty difficult to NOT cross a solid white line when going through an intersection. :D

I DO understand the intent of the markings, such as on freeway offramp lanes so it's illegal to cut in at the last 100 feet or so, but there DOES seem to be MANY contradictory situations the way the streets are currently marked and how the rules are written.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

What about the cell phone / hands free law?
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

crash

Post by crash »

I had heard that that was already in place and that they were just giving warnings until sometime in the future to get people used to the idea. I knew that one was coming. I have just been laughing lately whenever I see someone slowing down or swerving to answer the phone. I can't wait for that one. However, like most new laws I feel the previous laws, enforced correctly, would have been sufficient. What are they gonna go after next? No radios in cars? No kids under 10 in cars? No billboards? I mean really, our laws are getting pretty ridiculous.

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

Woodglue wrote:What about the cell phone / hands free law?
I thought it took effect 7 of '08
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:
Woodglue wrote:What about the cell phone / hands free law?
I thought it took effect 7 of '08
It does.
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

That's exactly why I was wondering if any of this was valid. I thought I remembered it being Jul 2008 too.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Hands free cellular phone law goes into effect 07/01/07, just a couple weeks from now.

I haven't heard about the car pool lane fines going up. If they did, I doubt they would make that significant of a jump, but I could be wrong. Best advise, don't break that particular law because the Judges don't like it.

All fines are double in construction zones!

There is already two laws in effect, one that gives the officer to write a ticket to a passenger for not wearing a seat belt and one for the officer to write to the driver for allowing it. Most officers will not normally write both. If the passenger is young, the Officer will normally cite the driver since it's their responsibility. If the passenger is say 15 or older, he'll get the ticket.

DUI already ='s jail. I'd say 80-90% of 1st time DUI are booked into county jail now. Occasionally someone will get issued a notice to appear and given a "quick release" from the police station, under certain conditions.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

crash

Post by crash »

I've heaard the average cost for taking care of a DUI is around $10k. :shock:

I'd rather buy some gas for the toys than have a drink. But that's just me. I'm not a drinker.

Sanman
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Sanman »

Just went to DMV'S web site and new laws for cell phone are as stated:

Cell Phones—Operative July 1, 2008
(AB 1613 Chapter No. 290)
Requires the use of hands-free wireless phones as of July 1, 2008, with limited exceptions.

and the link, http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/leg/leginfo_dl.htm
so who is right?

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I'll have to double check on that. We've been told '07. I'll see what I can find out. DMV info may be a typo!
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by norocksplease »

I'll be needing a new phone i guess.....

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

That's all part of the conspiracy Norocks :shock:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

September 28, 2006
California Passes Cell Phone Law
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed legislation that prohibits the use of handheld mobile phones while driving in the state.

Effective July 1, 2008, the legislation prohibits drivers from using a wireless telephone while operating a motor vehicle unless the driver uses a hands-free device. Drivers who violate the law will face a base fine of $20 for a first offense and $50 for each subsequent offense.

The law allows drivers to use a wireless telephone for emergency purposes, drivers of commercial vehicles to use push-to-talk phones until July 1, 2011, and allow drivers of emergency response vehicles to use a cell phone without a hands-free device.

California joins Connecticut, the District of Columbia, New Jersey, New York, and some local jurisdictions in prohibiting the use of handheld mobile phones while driving.

For more information on the laws in your area, see HR.BLR.com's Cell Phone Laws & Policies Center.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Snopes has this one busted:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/california.asp

Sorry GB, but kind of bad timing for you to be off on this after the "cops are wrong - no they aren't" of the thread about the rhino shooting. That's at least three sources now saying that it's 2008 and NOT 2007.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

jhitesma wrote:Snopes has this one busted:

Sorry GB, but kind of bad timing for you to be off on this after the "cops are wrong - no they aren't" of the thread about the rhino shooting. That's at least three sources now saying that it's 2008 and NOT 2007.
Hum??? The only one I got wrong was the '07 versus '08 start for hand free cell phone use. I thought I did pretty well. Just goes to show you no ones ever happy with a Cop :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Glamisbound on Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Oh, and BTW, snopes is somewhat misleading on the DUI portion. In San Diego, the normal response for a DUI arrest is to book the subject into count jail on O.R. (own recognizant) since they are intoxicated. In fact, most local PD have a policy to book them, with a few exceptions. Believe me, you don't want to find this one out the hard way.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

ChoppedLiver

Post by ChoppedLiver »

crash wrote:I just looked in a 2006 drivers handbook for both commercial and regular licenses. As far as I can see, chnaging lanes in an intersection is OK. I was suprised because I was taught by a commercial license holder that it was OK for class C vehicles, but not for commercial vehicles. It even has pictures in the commercial handbook showing changing of lanes while making turns through intersections. Very surprising to me. Maybe that's ALL changed for 2007, but I doubt it.
Believe it or not there has never been a law saying you can't change lanes in an intersection. It's not recommended by some due to people turning in front of you but its is legal and I do it all the time. I know this as I was a CHP Explorer for 4 years and I knew the Vehicle Code as well as most officers and usually more than most Sheriff Deputy's. I also got a A in my Vehicle Code class at Fullerton College. (Naturally)

My big peeve that is illegal is "failure to yield". I'm not talking about a pursuit but when you are turning left and the person opposite of you turns right into the right lane. (essentially coming together right next to each other) The person turning left has full right of way to all lanes unless there are multiple left turn lanes. That can be cited 2 ways; failure to yield and running a red light. Usually since it is legal to turn right on a red it was failure to yield. Interesting tidbits. I'm real surprised that they made a law actually saying the speed limit is 3 MPH above posted. LAME. The police will not be able to change the way they enforce it due to variations in speedometers. Besides unless there is special enforcement MOST PD's have a 15 MPH limit before they will cite. (well at least they used to) Oh well...

crash

Post by crash »

Really? I thought the left turner had to yield to oncoming traffic? If the person ends up turning right I didn't think it mattered. It was my understanding that left turners always yield unless they had a left arrow or they were within the intersection when the light changed.

Are you saying that when the light is green for cross traffic that the left turner has right of way over the oncoming right turner?

I just reread your post. It seems you are saying the left turner has the right of way when the light is red for oncoming traffic. How about when it's green and there are multiple lanes? Does the right turner have FULL right of way to ALL the lanes they are both turning into? It sure seems to me that would be the case. If so, how come commercial drivers ALWAYS turn right, use all lanes, but make sure to end up in the far right lane?

16ds_an2x4s
1st Gear Member

Post by 16ds_an2x4s »

I'm pretty sure he means a green turn arrow. If oncoming traffic has a green light, left turn yields. Oncoming traffic will never have a green (right turn) arrow at the same time you are making a left (at least that I've ever seen?)

That doesn't stop jackarses from pulling a right... especially when I'm trying to pull into that gas station on the corner :evil:

I've seen this one before, good lookin out though Woodie 8)

Voice

Post by Voice »

Rule of thumb:
If you've got a green light (arrow) then you have the right of way.
If you've got a red light (turning right on red) you NEVER have the right of way.
Turns should always be made into the closest lane: (Left turn into left lane, right turn into right lane)
Changing lanes in intersections has always been legal but discouraged. (also discouraged is changing lanes just prior to entering an intersection.)
It is illegal to enter an unsafe intersection... (So, if someone is making an illegal turn and you hit him you could also be cited)

Just do what the UPS trucks do... only make right turns. :D

Also, I find it interesting that WE cannot use our phones but Cops and Firefighters can... What gives? Is it dangerous or not? Or are we just not "trained" to drive while talking on our phones??? LOL

Ahh, a couple of other things:
Making a U-turn can mess up those guys trying to turn right while expecting you to do a normal left turn. In these cases I try to not only signal, but also use hand signal (while emphatically pointing to where I'm going) and make sure the guy turning right sees me.
As for those times when you need to turn left and then quickly right (into a driveway) I'll change my turnsignal from L to R while in the middle of the turn... and always watch out for those Yahoos trying to run that red light and make a right turn in front of me.
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

1. Carpool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 posted on the highway is old). Don't do it again because 2nd time is going to be double. 3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.
2. ---
3. ---
5. --
6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and drivers get tickets .
7. --
8. --
9. --
#6 is going to Pi$$$ my wife off and may lead to our divorce! Good thing the windows are tinted so the officers can not see a couple of these things….
#1 & #4
So if I read this correct, It is cheaper to drive the shoulder than to cheat in the CP lane...
----------------
One time...
Traffic was backed up from the Lake Street in Elsinore... To the Magnolia off ramp in Corona... I mean the 15 North was grid locked
I hate to be late or make anybody wait...
So as we got on going north...Getting on at Central, I came upon the backup.
I asked Blake if he had any warrants out against him...
"NO, why?"
I swerved on to the shoulder, and drove it to almost the 91 Freeway in Corona...
Blake was laughing all the way!
So was I...
We made it, however, it would have been worth $500 to see the looks on all the faces of those we passed... And those birds were flying!
A couple of slow lane drivers, even gave me a swerve in to my way on the shoulder! The nerve of those guys! One guy made me drive up and around him on the hill side on the right...
We made it, and we were not late...

S
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

crash

Post by crash »

What a great idea! Let's all use the EMERGENCY lanes and cause TOTAL grid lock that may cause someone their life. Great idea!!

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Good one O :?: I know you gotta be diggin for a thread fight cause you know what the majority of us are thinkin when we read:
I swerved on to the shoulder, and drove it to almost the 91 Freeway in Corona...
Blake was laughing all the way!
That guy is a ADAM HENRY :P
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

This is what Pendleton just sent out.

New Driving Fines for 2007

1. Carpool lane - 1st time $1068.50 starting 7/1/07 (The $271 posted on the
highway is old). Don't do it again because 2nd time is going to be double.
3rd time triple, and 4th time license suspended.

2. Incorrect lane change - $380. Don't cross the lane on solid lines or
intersections.

3. Block intersection - $485

5. Cell phone use in the construction zone. - Double fine as of 07/01/07.
Cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving.

6. Passengers over 18 not in their seatbelts - both passengers and drivers
get tickets .

7. Speeders can only drive 3 miles above the limit.

8. DUI = JAIL (Stays on your driving record for 10 years!)

9. As of 07/01/07 cell phone use must be "hands free" while driving.
Ticket is $285. They will be looking for this like crazy - easy money for
police department.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Yeah, but it aint true:
jhitesma wrote:Snopes has this one busted:

Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Yeah, but it aint true
my bust :oops:

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

That guy is a ADAM HENRY
U used to be a Cop or something? You've said a couple things in previous posts that, including this, that make me wonder...Hum... Sandcocks undercover or something :D
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

U used to be a Cop or something?
Not a cop. Not undercover :lol: Just a paid call fireman for San Marcos way, way back in the day for about 3-4 years, 79-83.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Same thing... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny story about Adam Henry. Story goes a Cop wrote that on the back of his copy of the ticket. Defendant to the case to court and got a copy of the ticket to prepare his defense. Asked the Cop in court what Adam Henry meant. Needless to say, we don't write that on our tickets any more... :lol:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Return to “Wide Open Sand”