Lifted trucks?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Lifted trucks?

Post by Sloppyduner »

Besides the obvious reason, it looks cool, I want my wheels to fit in the wheel wells, what other reason could there be to lift a truck, hummer or any other vehicle? To me the single most ridiculous thing I see are lifted H2s. What the heck? The design of the Hummer isn’t good enough for your off roading needs? Oh wait. I take that back. I have NEVER seen a lifted H2 off road. I have seen a couple at Olds that weren’t lifted. Now that’s funny. But seriously would lifting one help?

Then there are the 2WD lifted trucks....Why?

I’m NOT putting anybodies vehicle down, no pun intended, I just want to know WHY some people think higher I better. Are there reasons I’m missing? Clearance? I’ve seen stock Jeeps take the same path as lifted Jeeps and other 4X4's. I’m confused...As usual.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Wolfpack
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Wolfpack »

You hit it on the head: ground clearance.

1. Less chance of high-centering in uneven terrain and on transitions.
2. Allows negotiating steeper incline transitions (up or down) without the bumpers contacting the ground.

As for lifting a 2 wd, same thing. Good driving skills in a 2 wd can take you just about anywhere that a 4 wd will take you. Just about. There's less margin for error in a 2 wd so you have to be on your game, but it can be done.

And, oh yeah - it looks cool.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

WildomarVoice.com

MFortie
1st Gear Member

Re: Lifted trucks?

Post by MFortie »

Sloppyduner wrote:Besides the obvious reason, it looks cool, I want my wheels to fit in the wheel wells, what other reason could there be to lift a truck, hummer or any other vehicle? To me the single most ridiculous thing I see are lifted H2s. What the heck? The design of the Hummer isn’t good enough for your off roading needs? Oh wait. I take that back. I have NEVER seen a lifted H2 off road. I have seen a couple at Olds that weren’t lifted. Now that’s funny. But seriously would lifting one help?

Then there are the 2WD lifted trucks....Why?

I’m NOT putting anybodies vehicle down, no pun intended, I just want to know WHY some people think higher I better. Are there reasons I’m missing? Clearance? I’ve seen stock Jeeps take the same path as lifted Jeeps and other 4X4's. I’m confused...As usual.
It looks cool. 8) That's why I lifted my truck (and to clear the tires mo betta.) I actually lost a lot of carrying capacity (Dodge 3500 4x4) when I changed my rear leafs -- too bad I gave the stockers away already... :cry:

My truck is not for offroad - that's what the Jeep is for ('98 TJ), the buggy, the bikes & ATVs...

'Course I only went about 4" and it was a suspension vs. a body lift, so maybe I'm not the right one to answer this!

Regards,

Mark

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla »

What's a matter there SloppystockheightDakota, chicks in lifted H2's makin' ya feel all puny? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad »

ChuckZilla wrote:What's a matter there SloppystockheightDakota, chicks in lifted H2's makin' ya feel all puny? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
^^^^^^^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

mbacon
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by mbacon »

It's all those speed bumps out there. Need a good lift to get over them.

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound »

I wish I never lifted my truck, and I actually use it off road occassionally. Not enough to offset for the inconveniences of daily driving though. It gets worse gas mileage, rides worse, is more difficult to load, wife hates driving it, etc...
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

Aluminum rims are lighter.......better tires float the sand better.....Another plus side is you can go into deeper water.

I lifted my old (79) Chevy 4x4 truck when the 235 x 15 tires on yellowing white spoke wheels finally started coming apart....I went to a 33" tire on a 10" chrome steel wheel for better looks and ground clearance....It was a $1000 truck that I put $850 in new wheels and tires. :)

Sold it last year for a 97 stock dodge 1500 4x4......When the tires start to go??
Might look into some rims and tires that float the sand better.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I'm all for bigger tires. But at the same time I'll all for keeping the altitude low. Look at the extreme rock crawlers - they're all about ground clearance but they still sit real low compared to a lifted truck.

If I hadn't sold my Ramcharger (2" body lift 4" suspension lift and the 35" BFG's still rubbed a little when fully stuffed) I was going to take out the body lift and cut out the fender wells instead. Sitting that high with the short wheel base it just never felt very stable off-road. And after seeing a RC with 38" tires and no lift (just customized fenders) I was sold on loosing some altitude.

Still curious what the new owner of that truck will do. He's got a stable full of them (around 40 vehicles mostly Dodges) and was excited that I had all the trim (except one piece of chrome) and other factory bits to go with it. Not sure if he's going to "restore" it or just clean it up a little...but I have a feeling I'll see it around. I've seen him run a few of his trucks at Buttercup before and he does things right. Even if it probably will be yellow the next time I see it :D

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

ChuckZilla wrote:What's a matter there SloppystockheightDakota, chicks in lifted H2's makin' ya feel all puny? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
On the contrary Chucky. I LOVE my truck just the way it is. Ya it COULD be cleaner. And no I haven’t done any serious off roading in it. But I have been VERY happy with where it has taken me. All though I was a bit worried at first leaving camp in Johnson Valley. I thought I was spinning but I was just in neutral. #-o Maybe at the end of next season, or when the truck is paid off I’ll test it’s limits and go till I safely get it stuck just to see what it could do. I hope the beast and GW are around for that. Heck I’ve never even aired down.... yet. I’m VERY happy with stock. I’m keeping mine as is. Oh sure I would like to get some real A-arms and stiffer shocks, but the jury is still out on lift.

On another note. I was looking at my rail (about all it’s for, at this point) and noticed my rail has much less clearance than my truck, and I would take my rail a lot more places than my truck. Lower center of gravity. Low is good.

And on Jasons point. I don't know how many late 90's F150s are around Fontana raised high and still have those fender kits. :-k do they really think they are going to go through all that travel AND still need room in the fenders? See thats what I'm talking about. Looks cool (to them) but really? I guess if you have the money you can do what ever you want to YOUR truck.

It is my opinion that an off road vehicle wheels & tires should be wider than normal MORE so than taller. Most of these lifted trucks I see don’t go with tires much wider than stock. On my old F250 I went with wider tires and I did much better in sand...Huh Rich?

Wider tires I see lifts I don’t.

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

Ground Clearence. Bigger tires mainly. You cant put on bigger tires when the truck is stock.

This may help or not for your thoughts but here is some comparisions

I had a tundra 2001 , v8 no lift. 4x4. Stock. 14 mpg city and 16mpg highway. Never got stuck at glamis, had to get a running start to get out of Comp hill at night.

My 05 duramax diesal lifted 6 inchs on 35s. 18mpg in town and 20 on highway. I can pull a truck up out of comp hill.

Im a big believer of the wide tires in the dunes. Stock trucks with the cookie cutter tires get stuck or you need to keep momentum up big time.
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider »

Don't forget to put on mudflaps when you lift your truck or risk getting a citation....

In Az, 3/4 ton trucks or less that are lifted in ANY way, including just putting on bigger tires from stock are required to have mud flaps that extend no higher than 8" from the ground.

In AZ, ALL 1 ton or larger trucks are required to have mudflaps. Yes, a stock 1 ton 2 wheel drive non-dually non-lifted pickup is required to have mudflaps in AZ. Luckily most LEOs don't realize this.

But having a lift without mudflaps is like yelling to traffic officers and other LEOs "STOP ME!"...
:shock:

:D
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Tim, has the law been changed to include all trucks...or is it still just Pickups?

RX 4 INSANDITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RX 4 INSANDITY »

Don't forget to put on mudflaps when you lift your truck or risk getting a citation..
:shock: :shock: :shock: :?

Hi Tim--

Does Arizona actually enforce these laws and how long have the laws been in place :?: If they do enforce this, do they enforce for out of state vehicles :?: :?:

--Mike
Offroading and Concern for the Environment are NOT Mutually Exclusive

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

California also requires mudflaps when the tire extends out past the edge of the wheel well. I know officers (non-off roaders generally), who often enfore this law. It is only a fix-it ticket though.

Here's the section of interested...

27600 cvc (California vehicle code). No person shall operate any motor vehicle having three or more wheels, any trailer, or semitrailer unless equipped with fenders, covers, or devices, including flaps or splash aprons, or unless the body of the vehicle or attachments thereto afford adequate protection to effectively minimize the spray or splash of water or mud to the rear of the vehicle and all such equipment or such body or attachments thereto shall be at least as wide as the tire tread. This section does not apply to those vehicles exempt from registration, trailers and semitrailers having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds, or any vehicles manufactured and first registered prior to January 1, 1971, having an unladen weight of under 1,500 pounds.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider »

Here is the Arizona law:

"28-958.01. Rear fender splash guards

A. A person shall not operate a truck, trailer, semitrailer or bus on a highway unless the vehicle is equipped with rear fender splash guards that comply with the specifications provided in this section.

B. The splash guards:

1. Shall be attached in a manner that prevents the splashing of mud or water on the windshield of other motor vehicles.

2. Shall extend to a length of not more than eight inches from the ground.

3. Shall be wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected.

4. Shall be installed close enough to the tread surface of the tire or wheel to control the side throw of the bulk of the thrown road surface material.

5. May be constructed of a flexible rubberized material.

6. Shall be attached in a manner that, regardless of movement either in the splash guards or the vehicle, the splash guards retain their general parallel relationship to the tread surface of the tire or wheel under all ordinary operating conditions.

C. This section does not apply to:

1. A vehicle commonly known as a pickup truck with a manufacturer's rating of three-quarter ton or less, except that this section applies if the pickup truck has been modified from the original bumper height design to raise the center of gravity of the pickup truck.

2. A truck tractor or converter dolly when used in combination with another vehicle.

3. A single axle trailer with fenders wide enough to cover the full tread or treads of the tires being protected and that extend to a length of not more than fourteen inches from the ground."

As you can see, Az law requires splash guards (mudflaps) on ALL trucks but gives an exception for pickups of 3/4 ton or less UNLESS they have been altered from the manufacturer's stock height.

The laws applys to ALL vehicles they meet the statute driven in Az, including out of state vehicles just visiting. The splashguard law was inacted in 1985, I think.

In my city, we don't have 'fix it tickets' so an actual citation is written. If the person puts mudflaps on, brings in a receipt with a photo of them on the truck, the judge usually suspends the fine on the first offense.

I know I pulled one guy over in three different times in several months and he got a suspended fine the first 2 times and a $100 fine for the third ticket. There was another guy who, under oath, swore to the judge he had put mudflaps on. The judge reccessed the court and had me go out and check the guy's truck for mudflaps, which were not on his truck. Needless to say the judge was not happy about the guy lying under oath and gave him the max fine and was debating whether to have him booked into jail for perjury. That would have been funny, a simple equipment ticket turned into a felony, but the judge let him off after the guy became really sorry and really scared of going to jail.

It is up to the individual LEO's descretion to decide to cite or not. It is a good tool to use to legally stop a vehicle to check it out, like working DUI patrol at the river, especially since all the tandem boat trailers don't have mudflaps on them.....

:D
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

RX 4 INSANDITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RX 4 INSANDITY »

Getting back to sloppy's original question, I was tired of my truck looking like a grandpa's truck, so I had it lifted to accomodate larger tires. 8) A Dodge 3500 SRW with a 3 inch lift (which is virtually nothing) will accomodate 20 inch wheels and 35 inch tires. Throw some Amp steps for a cool factor and I was no longer looking like a grandpa. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I am close to the CA law that GB posted because I added some fender flairs. It at least makes it look like I tried to comply and it added more to the cool factor IMHO. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I have seen lots of truck here in the East County of SD that would have real problems meeting these requirements. Once in a while I see some really bad looking mud flaps on trucks. they must have got caught. :D :shock: :shock: :D 8)

Its all about COOL :!: :!: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

--Mike
Offroading and Concern for the Environment are NOT Mutually Exclusive

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

RX 4 INSANDITY wrote:
Its all about COOL :!: :!: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
--Mike
Well ya thats a given with you Mike. It would seem to me though that just the simple fact of YOU being in, or around, the truck would make it cool.

I thought there was a limit on the amount of emoticons per post :-k How do you get around that?

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry »

I didn't lift my truck, although I went from what was a skinny 31" tire from the factory to some nice wide 33"

Before:

After:
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

Here in phoenix i have now have been on the recieving end of 3 tickets for no mudflaps.

I refuse to put them on. But i have paid right at about $400 for the tickets.
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

Return to “Wide Open Sand”