Illegal gray water dumping - what to do

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Illegal gray water dumping - what to do

Post by WoodIsGood »

I saw 3 different rigs happily dumping their gray water as they went down the road Sunday. Anybody that tried to pass them in the left hand lane got a gray water wash for their car. Ticked me off. What's a guy to do? By the time you call it in and get a LEO in the area the tank will be empty so there's no proof of what they were doing. Their actions give all us RVers a black eye.

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash »

NOTHING beats the guy I saw about ten years back dumping his BLACK WATER TANK on the dirt road between the canal and the pavement at Gordon's.

There were LOGS all over the road. REAL NICE!!! :evil:

He MAY have knocked off the plumbing on the whoops getting out, but either way, the "trail" was pretty disgusting and he wasn't stopping!!

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

I saw a guy headed east on interstate 8 just after sun down dumping his gray water also.....Pretty obvious he knew what was going on as we went buy and motioned about the water he just snickered a bit.

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Rekd »

For those of you with camera's on your fones, take video of the license an of the offense, then report it.

I remember a thread here a year or 3 ago about dumping grey water in the dunes. This is much different, as you're only allowed to allow fresh water and feathers from (live) chickens to leave your vehicle while moving on public roads in Ca. Or so I'm told. :wink:
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Dumping of sewage or gray water in the dunes is specifically prohibited too.

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad »

Rekd wrote: This is much different, as you're only allowed to allow fresh water and feathers from (live) chickens to leave your vehicle while moving on public roads in Ca. Or so I'm told. :wink:
You are absolutely 100% correct!
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

crash

Post by crash »

I thought leaves were allowed as well.(?)

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Sorry Crash, you are under arrest:

CVC 23114(a) - a vehicle may not be driven or moved on any highway unless the vehicle is so constrcted, covered, or loaded as to prevent any of its content or load other than clear water or feathers from live birds from dropping, sifting, leaking, blowing, spilling, or otherwise escaping from the vehicle.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

WoodIsGood wrote:Dumping of sewage or gray water in the dunes is specifically prohibited too.
I haven't found any source to show this. Only black water.

Washroad?? Glamisbound? Anyone?

You got info on this?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

He MAY have knocked off the plumbing on the whoops getting out, but either way, the "trail" was pretty disgusting and he wasn't stopping!!
What would he be able to do if he did stop? If that pipe breaks it's done.... You can't put it back in....

If dropping grey water in a hole is illegal than I am guilty.... 100 gal water tank, 30 gal grey.... I am not going to drink the rest.

crash

Post by crash »

At least if you stop it's all in one place and not strewn all over the road! Duct tape it up and get home, but to just let it go as you drive away is pretty sh**** :lol: . Also, to not stop after you hear THAT loud of an impact is foolish and the pontential for more parts coming off on the highway is very likely. IMO continuing, even if it got accidentally knocked off, is very irresponsible.

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

It is my understanding you can be cited for black and grey water dumping in the dunes.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

gelwell wrote:It is my understanding you can be cited for black and grey water dumping in the dunes.
I've seen LEO's approach a camper who was dumping grey at Gordon's and he was allowed to finish. I should have asked the LEO then what the rules were, because I'm in a similar boat as Brian; not enough space to hold grey.
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Rules are pretty clear:
DUMPING. Dumping of sewage (black) and/or gray water is prohibited.
From the BLM's ISDRA rules page:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro ... _regs.html

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

jhitesma wrote:Rules are pretty clear:
DUMPING. Dumping of sewage (black) and/or gray water is prohibited.
From the BLM's ISDRA rules page:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro ... _regs.html
That's what I was looking for. Thanks! :D
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

I could be wrong but i thought only gray was allowed to be dumped. This is water from Shower and washing hands only correct?

If so then i need to stop as well. I normally crack the hatch and let it trickle out over the weekend. What is the difference of me showering inside the motorhome with the gray water draining out throught the pipes and onto the ground vs. me using my outside shower and showering?

Just curious.

I dont need any tickets as the trips are expensive enough!
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

phx450 wrote:I could be wrong but i thought only gray was allowed to be dumped. This is water from Shower and washing hands only correct?

If so then i need to stop as well. I normally crack the hatch and let it trickle out over the weekend. What is the difference of me showering inside the motorhome with the gray water draining out throught the pipes and onto the ground vs. me using my outside shower and showering?

Just curious.

I dont need any tickets as the trips are expensive enough!
I used my outside shower a couple times for that very reason, but was cited anyway for nude in public. :wink:
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Brian_A wrote:If dropping grey water in a hole is illegal than I am guilty.... 100 gal water tank, 30 gal grey.... I am not going to drink the rest.
So buy a portable gray water tank like this to hold the rest. Or run gray water into a bucket and dump it down the toilet into your black tank if it has extra space. Or hire one of the pump and fill outfits to haul off your waste. Or just don't use as much water. :shock: :shock: Lots of options that don't involve dumping on the ground.

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Using an outside shower is OK. Why? Because the water is not going into a holding tank that can contain all kinds of things and then onto the ground.

Now, I really don't wanna see a bunch of nekkid guys waiting in line to use an outside shower. :shock: :shock: :shock: just to save space in their gray water tanks!
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

What is the difference of me showering inside the motorhome with the gray water draining out throught the pipes and onto the ground vs. me using my outside shower and showering?
There is none. Which is why it is so ridiculous. I have heard the reason for it was that some people use chemicals in their holding tanks. Should just install a branch line that completely bypasses the tank and goes straight to the earth. No different than washing outside in an outside shower or bucket.

crash

Post by crash »

I guess, technically, if you were to install a bypass that didn't allow the shower water to go into the tank, you would be OK. But after all the pain and expense of doing that, you may as well just put in the 70 gallon grey tank. The portable is probably the better idea. I know when we go on long trips, the grey water space is THE limiting factor. I try to make sure we stay at campgrounds that have, at minimum, a dump station. A lot of places also have a campground specific "no fluids" rule. Not even outside showers. :wink:

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

even though i use no chemicals in water tank? Only chemicals i use are in the toilet.

I know that the gray water out of my hauler wont hurt the dunes. Biodegradeble soap! although my toothpaste might do some damage.
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

crash

Post by crash »

Hey maybe if we all dump our grey tanks while we're out there the Mexicans will stop bitching about the lining of the canal!! :lol:

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

phx450 wrote:even though i use no chemicals in water tank? Only chemicals i use are in the toilet.

I know that the gray water out of my hauler wont hurt the dunes. Biodegradeble soap! although my toothpaste might do some damage.
I brush my tooth outside... :wink:

So is urinating and defecating illegal in the dunes?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

So is urinating and defecating illegal in the dunes?
It can't be. The rangers sponsor overnights hikes into the dunes.... I don't see anyone carrying a porta poty. When nature calls.......

as a matter of fact hiking in any national or state park pretty much requires doing you business in nature.

So if your in a tent you can put whatever you like on/in the ground, if your in an RV your stuck with a different set of rules it sounds like.

crash

Post by crash »

Actually, I've watched a video presentation where they showed some National Parks require "pack it in, pack it out". ALL OF IT!! They even went into what the fines were for being stopped without a suitable "poop" carrying device! :shock: :oops:

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

"No, officer. I simply don't poop" :wink:
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

I read about that as well crash and as far as I know that is only Mt Whitney that is requiring that.... seems pretty silly as big as that mountain is and the fact they only allow so many permits each year to hike the mountain. Bear crap is good for the environment.... human stuff isn't.
Somewhere along the way humans became alien to the earth.

wacky. It will probably be all parks eventually.... but carrying a bag doesn't mean you will necessarily use it.

crash

Post by crash »

Have I ever related on this board that I have a friend whose theory is that, sooner or later, all conversations turn to the subject of "poop"????

Anyway, here's a link to the tread lightly page that talks about packing the poop out. :sick: (I thought we had a clothespin on the nose emoticon, but I can't find it)

http://www.treadlightly.org/page.php/re ... iking.html

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

Well the topic was related to poop....
the link you provided doesn't say you are required to pack it out.... said a shallow hole 6" to 8" deep would do the trick.

crash

Post by crash »

I understand that. I was just showing that it is an accepted "best practice" that is actually documented. And I beleive it does elude to the fact that some areas may require it.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

crash your full of poop, matter of fact, you all are full of poop :lol: and if you leave your poop up in the mountains the poop rangers are going to bag your poop to collect dna and come after you :lol:

People are lazy and inconsiderate of others, i.e. they don't think about getting their nastiness on other peoples equipment when they pull this meneuver on the road.

Don't know why a local town/city entrepreneur has not found a way to capitalize on this issue, i.e. have conveneient dump stations in or near the town/city. The one that I have used occasionally, Shell Station in Westmoreland, ususally has a long line down the street and is a pain the the poop shoot to get in to. Using the Ironwoods is a pain to get back on to 78 on a busy weekend. The guys dumping you in the dunes are expensive, but convenient. I just decided to forget all the hassle when going home and bought a Tote. I empty at home, and wheel it to the clean out in the back of the hoose.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

ddjthomas
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ddjthomas »

Sandcock wrote: I just decided to forget all the hassle when going home and bought a Tote. I empty at home, and wheel it to the clean out in the back of the hoose.
I have a sewer solution from camping world that allows me to dump at home with out using a tank to haul it back and forth.

With the RV in the driveway it is only 50 feet to the front clean out AND its down hill. The instructions say you can dump 30 feet away and 3 feet uphill. Or it says you can go up to 100 feet if you use 1 inch PVC.

SEWER SOLUTION I use 20 feet of 1 inch PVC to extend the 30 feet of sewer solution hose to make it all the way to the clean out.

Awesome at camp grounds also, because you use water pressure to dump the black, you can leave the grey open all the time and not worry about it backing up on you during a shower.
Donny
AKA: Digger
feet in the sand.....
you gatta love that

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Did you know that President Bush has a special agent that bags his poop where ever he goes?

He has a special porta potty on AF1 when he is out of the White House....

Poop?

Now Grey water, I do not dump it in the dunes, however I see no issue with dumping it.

S
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

NO POOPING IN THE DUNES :!: Last time out when I got back to camp I had poooooooooooooooop on my left rear wheel.........don't know if it was dog or people poop..........poop on your equipment is wrong :lol:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

Just stay away from the bushes and you should be safe.

crash

Post by crash »

"I Fling Poo!"

Sorry, I got a picture of a monkey with this statement on the back of my buggy, and it just seemed like an appropriate statement at this time. :D

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

cool avatar brian_a. Navy or Air Force :?:

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

Brian_A wrote: It will probably be all parks eventually.....
Not a chance. Greens don't want to pack it out either, so they won't push for it. The only ones that will push for it are those that don't (or won't) use the area.
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

I used my outside shower a couple times for that very reason, but was cited anyway for nude in public.
Really :shock: Were you actually cited Rekd? What was the fine?

Before I got my toy hauler (for thxgiving) I used a shower bag for years and a bathing suit. Seemed to work just fine and all the ladies in camp got a thrill. Or as Fat ba$tard would say "Look at my sexy body!"

All this poop talk has me wanting to go :D

Like a lot of rules in the dunes it seems to be at the discretion of the LEO as to whether they cite you this or any infraction.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

gelwell wrote:Really :shock: Were you actually cited Rekd? What was the fine?.
No, I wasn't cited. Hell, I wasn't even nekked. :wink:
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Rekd wrote:
gelwell wrote:Really :shock: Were you actually cited Rekd? What was the fine?.
No, I wasn't cited. Hell, I wasn't even nekked. :wink:
Ok got ya. I was wondering in this world of political correctness if we now had to make concessions for nudists now in the dunes. You know their own special place just for them since they are an endangered species. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Can you imagine Washroad a dune nudist? There a visual I wouldn't want to see :shock:

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

gelwell wrote:Can you imagine Washroad a dune nudist?
Yes, I can. And did. Now I have to go back to therapy... :roll:
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

cool avatar brian_a. Navy or Air Force

Navy.
It's a pic I got off the blue angels website awhile back.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

airdale or blackshoe :?:

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Rekd wrote:
gelwell wrote:Can you imagine Washroad a dune nudist?
Yes, I can. And did. Now I have to go back to therapy... :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: It'll probably be extensive! Years of it! :lol: :lol:
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Voice

Post by Voice »

This issue comes up ever so often...

Q:"What's the difference between an outdoor shower and my grey water"?
A: Lots. For one, the law says that once it hits a holding tank it becomes "waste" and is therefore different than going directly to the ground. For another, Gray water includes sink drainage which can include all sorts of bacteria and nasty things like raw chicken or whatever you wash in your sink, add to that the holding tank issue which is a breeding ground for this stuff and you get a pretty nasty mess. And another, a holding tank is capable of being drained all at once in one place, as opposed to an outdoor shower which would be a limited amount over a short period of time. And finally, it's simply ILLEGAL to dump gray water in the ISDRA, with a hole or without, driving down the road or while sitting still. It's nasty, it stinks, it's inconsiderate and if all 50,000 people did it on one weekend you'd have an enviromental disaster. If you are dumping your gray water at Glamis, please stop.

Q: "Why is it illegal for humans to defficate in the open while the bears can do it and it's considered natural?"
A: There's not 100,000 bears at Glamis. (or 100,000 of any animal). It's the shere numbers of humans which make public deffication so enviromentally unfriendly.
Hey, if ya gotta go, you gotta go, but you really should be taking care of your own crap. Show some consideration please.
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Good input with a bit of wisdom Voice :wink:

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

What I don't understand about the whole"Mess"
If You hauled the water down there, why can't you haul it back to a dump station or home??
Since its O K to dump fresh water and you want to go home lighter, dump the fresh tanks.
I have a pump and 55 gallon barrel if the grey water tank fills up,
never filled the black tank, (YET).
You can use this pump to empty the tanks at home into your sewer cleanout if needed.
JMHO
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Illegal gray water dumping - what to do

Post by RAD4EVER »

[quote="WoodIsGood"]I saw 3 different rigs happily dumping their gray water as they went down the road Sunday.

Ahh Poop!
Have to fess up......I've let the gray trickle the last days on sand only!
That's only after I used my emergency trick of 30 yrs. of various RV/trailer's by carefully letting the full gray water tank push it's higher level of fluids into the lower level black water tank. Have to pay attention to fluid's transferring by closing Blacks shutoff very quickly, or.... you are going to have a poopy mess at the dumping station.
Remember, this emergency is only for the desperate!
At times: Wife, two daughters, myself or Wife, grandson,grand-daughter, nephew, myself and so on and so on!
HOW DESPERATE IS THAT?
Rad4Ever
PS: Tried and died doing the portable gray water tank thing....just too heavy to drag around lifting up the steps or back of truck bed....lame I know, but........most often I take everything to the dump station!
Whew!

Return to “Wide Open Sand”