BBS Transition

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

BBS Transition

Post by crash »

Congrats to those responsible for the transition to the new BBS. So far, at least for me, there have been no hiccups.

Not sure I like the extra layer of indexing, but will wait till I used it a little longer before passing judgement.

Good job guys. 8)

crash

Re: BBS Transition

Post by crash »

Seems like the BBS has slowed considerably this afternoon.

Guess I jinked it with the above comment. :(

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by ggorman »

We are trying to keep an eye on things. I had to restart the webserver yesterday, it was hung up. Yahoo and Google are spidering us like crazy which slows it down for everyone. It also causes Apache (the webserver) to run out of resources and lock up.

Unfortunately I'll be on a plane for the rest of the day so the other team members will have to keep tabs.

Greg
ASA Volunteer and Supporter
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Rekd »

Wasn't letting me do any searches an hour or so ago. All better now though.
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

crash

Post by crash »

I am not able to click on "Board Index" immediately after clicking "submit" when making a post. This forces me to wait for the page to reload before moving back to the index. Not a major thing, but slows down my rapid posting!! :shock: :? Maybe that's what was intended. :roll:

crash

Post by crash »

Nevermind. It just let me do it. :D

crash

Post by crash »

Search function failed to work for me about two minutes ago.

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

Information

Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes.
:roll:
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

ggorman wrote:Yahoo and Google are spidering us like crazy which slows it down for everyone. It also causes Apache (the webserver) to run out of resources and lock up.
I think Jason is trying to find ways to throttle these bots back a bit. It beneficial to have them here, but they do seem to be "running amok".
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

We've been getting nailed around mid-day every day for awhile. The new BBS just makes it easier for us to see who is is and we now know it's google and Yahoo that are hammering us.

The search is occasionally unavailable because it can be very system intense. So if the BBS detects that the server is really busy it temporarily disables the search until things slow down - I'm still fine tuning the point at which it decides the server is too busy and it needs to deny search.

And I'm working on tuning the server to deal with the daily hammering we've been getting. This pre-dates the new BBS. The new BBS is actually making the problem a little better since the new BBS is easier on the database than the old one was. But the hammering is such that it doesn't really mater - we're getting hit hard enough it doesn't matter what BBS we're running.

The problem is we're running out of connections for incoming requests at times - I can increase the number of possible connections...but since we're also pushing the processor pretty hard that's not a very good idea. Right now we're evaluating our server configuration and working on balancing it to best deal with the kind of traffic we're currently seeing.

But hey, the gallery search works again. And when the BBS search is available (just don't expect it to be up over the lunch hour for example) it's a lot better than it used to be since it now includes ALL posts even the very old ones that didn't used to show up.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

jhitesma wrote:We've been getting nailed around mid-day every day for awhile. The new BBS just makes it easier for us to see who is is and we now know it's google and Yahoo that are hammering us.
Yeah, they're on here as much as crash. :lol:
'79 CJ5

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Maybe I'm not understanding how things are supposed to work, but I'm confused by the fact that when I log in there are many forums with a "sand colored" icon which I thought indicated a forum with new posts since my last login, but when I click "view new posts" only threads from a few of those forums (the ones which actually have new posts since my last login) show up. So what does the sand colored icon really mean?

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB »

The new bbs is really cool, but i miss the "view posts since your last visit" feature.
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

f-BOB wrote:The new bbs is really cool, but i miss the "view posts since your last visit" feature.
It's still there on the main page. I will be adding the links to it on other pages back in, just haven't gotten to it yet.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

WoodIsGood wrote:Maybe I'm not understanding how things are supposed to work, but I'm confused by the fact that when I log in there are many forums with a "sand colored" icon which I thought indicated a forum with new posts since my last login, but when I click "view new posts" only threads from a few of those forums (the ones which actually have new posts since my last login) show up. So what does the sand colored icon really mean?
The sand colored icons that show in the forums do indicate that there are New Posts in one or more topics in that sub forum. The View new posts link should open a page with those same topics listed. That way you don't have to navigate though all of the forums to see them.

The "View new posts" link that is at the top right of the page is basically the same as the "View posts since last visit" was on the old BBS. What is missing and what Jason is referring to is locating it on the bottom right of each page as well.
'79 CJ5

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

LoBuck wrote: The sand colored icons that show in the forums do indicate that there are New Posts in one or more topics in that sub forum. The View new posts link should open a page with those same topics listed. That way you don't have to navigate though all of the forums to see them.
When I logged in just now, at the main BBS page there were 11 sand colored icons which should mean there are 11 forums with at least one new message in them. But when I click on "view new posts" only 6 messages from 5 forums show up. When I look at the forums not represented in the "vew new posts" list there are messages that I haven't read, but they aren't new messages since my last login.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

The icon color represents unread messages. Not necessarily unread since your last visit.

The "posts since last visit" apparently does just that. I never used the old function or the new one as I don't read most forums so using that I have to wade through a lot of posts I'm not interested in to get to the few I am.

If someone who is familiar with the old function and the new function can explain the differences I can see if there's a way to emulate the old functionality. When I asked the alpha testers if it was working right they seemed to imply that it was so I didn't worry about it.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

It looks like the difference between what I'm seeing and what WoodIsGood is seeing is that as Admin, I read every new post every time I come on the board. For that reason the "View new posts" link works the same for me as the old "View posts since last visit". I never have unread posts when I come back, everything is "new".

On the other hand, if WoodIsGood (or anyone else) does not read every post each visit, there will still be some unread (sand colored icons) posts in the forum. However only the new posts will come up by using the "View new posts" link.

Is that clear? :-s
'79 CJ5

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

LoBuck wrote: Is that clear? :-s
Clear to me. I think that is different than it used to be. As I recall the colored icons were only there for new messages since my last login with BBS2, but sometimes I recall wrong. The BBS3 system of leaving the icons colored until I read a thread is not necessarily bad and maybe even better. Thanks for your time.

ChoppedLiver

Post by ChoppedLiver »

Ok Team I'll chime in here to get others opinions on my opinion... The subject lines and the screennames need to be larger and bolder. I find my self hunting for them....

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

WoodIsGood wrote:
LoBuck wrote: Is that clear? :-s
Clear to me. I think that is different than it used to be. As I recall the colored icons were only there for new messages since my last login with BBS2, but sometimes I recall wrong. The BBS3 system of leaving the icons colored until I read a thread is not necessarily bad and maybe even better. Thanks for your time.
I'm about 99.9% sure that it was the same with v2. I seldom read the for sale section so it was almost always colored for me even though I check the site just about hourly sometimes.

As for the sizes, I'm not sure what "Subject lines" are smaller - which page and where? The usernames I've noticed that as well and been thinking about doing something about it. I just can't tell if it's actually that they're smaller...or if the changes to the area where they're displayed just makes them look that way since there's more stuff there now.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Just did a test and apparently the usernames are basically the same size as they were before - it's just the layout that makes them look smaller:
asasample.jpg
asasample.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 7092 times
Ok, if you measure carefully there is maybe a 1px difference, but the anti-aliasing makes it hard to say for sure...and anti-aliasing is system specific so it's not quite the same for everyone (one of those fun things about designing on the web.)

The big difference is that before the styles used hardcoded point size for the fonts - but that's not a good thing in webdesign because due to the differences in browsers, platforms and fonts 10pt on my computer may not be the same size as 10pt on your computer (it should be in theory - but theory and practice don't agree in this case.)

With BB3 the styles did the "right thing" and switched to using relative font sizes based on percentages. This makes things more consistent across browsers/platforms. So it's possible that for some people the size may have changed - though in that case what they were seeing before is not what was intended.

I wonder if making the names left aligned again would help....

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

BTW - I know that even in my example the sizes look pretty different. But if you measure the difference is VERY VERY small. Too small to reliably control.

But due to something about the layout they end up looking a lot smaller now.

When I made that sample in Photoshop I pulled guides along the top of the "d" and bottom of the "g" in "woodglue" and they were within one pixel of each other.

The other thing that may be causing them to look smaller is that the new style specifies a specific font while the old one only specified font families. The specified font is VERY similar to the old default font but there are some slight differences - you'll notice the verticals in the "W" look a little thinner even though the height of the characters is basically identical.

Of course...not everyone may be seeing that quite the same. If you don't have the specified font on your system, "Lucida Grande", then it will go back to the same font specification as before - starting with "Verdana" if you don't have that then "Helvetica" if you don't have that "Arial" and finally if you don't have any of the named fonts it will just tell your computer to use it's default "sans-serif" font. (which on a windows machine is usually Verdana or Arial and on a mac is almost always Helvetica.)

crash

Post by crash »

Um....don't mess with something that's working!!

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

As my dad would say:
No need to pick fly[poop] out of the pepper
:wink:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

crash

Post by crash »

Not that I was really paying attention, :wink: but........where did the ability to see a user list sorted by total number of posts go?

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Click on MEMBERS in the upper right corner of this page, then, Click on POSTS, then go to page 96 and you will see the members organized by post-count from lowest to highest, downward.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

long time duner
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by long time duner »

I just want everyone involved in running this board how much I appreciate all your efforts. Without a doubt I spend more time on here than anywhere else on the net, except maybe e-Bay, and love reading about other duners. Props to all!

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Thanks. Its great to hear that.
'79 CJ5

crash

Post by crash »

Woodglue wrote:Click on MEMBERS in the upper right corner of this page, then, Click on POSTS, then go to page 96 and you will see the members organized by post-count from lowest to highest, downward.
Or you can click POST header again and see from highest to lowest. Thanks WG. It is more efficient to just click a column header than to type in and sort the way we used to. Good upgrade.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Nice note with kind words long time duner!

I too like this board a lot, good folks on here. I like the board more for what it brings me in the dunes. Connecting with like minded duners for quick rides around Olds, long full-day rides down to Buttercup and back, camping trips, Night Ride Trips, etc.
I'm headed out to the dunes tonight, my son and I will be camping just with folks from this board. For sure, there will be stories on Monday. :wink:
If I could ever get my camera back from repair :roll: , photos would accompany the stories.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

crash

Post by crash »

I knew I had jinxed things by congratulating those in charge on the transition for having very few hicups. Should have waited a month or so I guess.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

crash wrote:I knew I had jinxed things by congratulating those in charge on the transition for having very few hicups. Should have waited a month or so I guess.
Nahhh, blaming the upgrades for the crash makes as much sense as blaming the air you put into your tires yesterday for your motor seizing today.

Return to “Wide Open Sand”