Has HiFuel$$$ curtailed your offroad outings?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Has HiFuel$$$ curtailed your offroad outings?

Post by RAD4EVER »

The past weekend the gas lid was nailed shut for Ontario to Glamis and back!
The four of us didn't make the cool diners to and from Glamis.
Vons last minute shopping didn't figure in this time.
Shopping at the Sand Highway malls didn't happened.
Didn't have to fill the truck twice.
Didn't have to fill up the propane tanks.
Didn't have to top off the toybox gas tank.
Didn't have to buy fuel for Toys.
Didn't get to drink a mug of coffee as the morning sun broke the landscape.
Anyone here felt the pinch of high fuel prices?
RAD4Ever
PS: Nearing the secret compartment of my wallet for the last of my eight one-hundred $ bills to offset a damage/replaced StangGT4.6 plastic manifold, crashed computer and $$ for paint and repairs for vandalized 4X4 truck :evil:
RAD Caught in a dust storm :oops:

[Edited by Woodglue - 04/03/08 @ 7:10p - relocated thread from the Duner Connection Forum]

Woodglue

Re: Has HiFuel$$$ curtailed your offroad outings?

Post by Woodglue »

R4E,
There are several threads on this bbs tuning into the same thought. The conclusion of most all of them is Yes, the increasing expenses are making it more difficult for most. Concurrently, in terms of a vacation, I contend that you STILL can not take a cheaper trip ANYWHERE than a trip to the Dunes.
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandcock »

$226 for fuel to and from G, and fuel for the quads. More than I have paid in the past by about $30-$40. Got to make my first clean-up appearance at olds and experience the tp streamers that I've never seen due to concentrating on riding :shock: Got to witness the flower bloom at olds to :wink: Would have never seen flowers riding :D Time spent well worth it 8)
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

Believe me this sucks but this is my lifestyle and I will spend it to do it. But I take more days off to get more bang for the buck.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

gelwell wrote: But I take more days off to get more bang for the buck.
That is probably the best way to curtail your costs... take fewer trips, but make each trip longer.
This equates to less miles driven to / from the dunes for the same amount of days spinning paddles. :wink:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

JakeTheRake
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by JakeTheRake »

Is there any chance that this will lead to more people "roughing it" since it costs so much to haul out a fifth wheel? Also, will this lead to less high dollar buggies being out there since they drink so much gas as well?
Jake Brittain
Fallbrook

'06 YFZ450 SE

ddjthomas
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ddjthomas »

JakeTheRake wrote:Is there any chance that this will lead to more people "roughing it" since it costs so much to haul out a fifth wheel? Also, will this lead to less high dollar buggies being out there since they drink so much gas as well?
I doubt that! Most of the people that can afford those cars are not affected by rising gas prices.

By the way I spent about $240 to haul my fifth wheel out to and back from the dunes last weekend. (that's just deisel, from Mesa, AZ)
Donny
AKA: Digger
feet in the sand.....
you gatta love that

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB »

My Easter Weekend trip cost $450 in fuel including the T/H and my truck. Mind you I pumped a good 15 gallons of 91 octane into the wife's car when we got home so, less that, we actually spent about $400 in fuel. Now did it hurt that the cost of this trip was about $100 more than last year's trip on average? Yes, but since I've made so few trips due to other circumstances, I cringed while filling up, but knew that it may be my last full blown trip this season so tried no to think about it. Good thing the tax return came in when it did!
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

f-BOB wrote:My Easter Weekend trip cost $450 in fuel including the T/H and my truck. Mind you I pumped a good 15 gallons of 91 octane into the wife's car when we got home so, less that, we actually spent about $400 in fuel. Now did it hurt that the cost of this trip was about $100 more than last year's trip on average? Yes, but since I've made so few trips due to other circumstances, I cringed while filling up, but knew that it may be my last full blown trip this season so tried no to think about it. Good thing the tax return came in when it did!
FBob,
Maybe next year will a little better for us. Mucho drakmas going out the door right now. My truck is a gasser.....about .65-.75 cents a gallon less? So getting slammed for 450 plus whatever goodies for camping needs at this time has to be a bummer? We're having to cut back on just about everything and like most of us, wait and see how our investments pan out?
Server/Admin gigs at the moment become non-existing, making it difficult to latch on to vocational training schools in San Bernardino (Inland Empire) County? The best offer came from San Jose?
No $$$$...no playtime?
Might have to head back to machine shops and row with the slaves [-X
RAD

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla »

$300 last trip. Hated the gas cost but loved the ridin'!
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I'm actually looking forward to the end of season so I can stop the $450 coach fill ups. And the $400 drums of race fuel. And the packing, unpacking, packing, unpacking, packing, unpacking...you get the picture.

Two more trips for me and I'm pulling the plug. That will give me about 12-14 (sorry, I don't keep a diary like Obee)trips for the season.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

My coach can make a round trip on 1 tank of fuel. I have cut back from 91 octane in the moho to 87 and the fuel mpg isn't much different but saves me several $ at the pump.
What left-over fuel for the quads goes into the moho for return trip. Tank holds 65 gallons, and even using the generator as much as we do, never used more than 55 gallons.
It's not the cost of fuel that keeps us from going; it's life/work getting in the way this year.
We are taking a non-riding trip to Pismo next month, and the Gilroy Garlic Festival in July (that's a 2 tank trip! but the camping is free!). Then we'll see what we can do about getting to the dunes in October.
Thinking of stretching the T-Day trip an extra day to avoid the traffic on the way home.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Washroad wrote: Thinking of stretching the T-Day trip an extra day to avoid the traffic on the way home.
I'm looking forward to when my kids are done with school and we can do that too, though I'm not in a hurry for them to grow up or for me to get older.

Unlike Glamisbound, this season is coming to an end all too soon for me. I'm even considering making a one day trip since I can't seem to find enough weekend openings in the family's schedule.

Yes, the fuel costs more, but it's still really a somewhat minor expense when you consider the money tied up in most people's toys, trailers, tow vehicles/motorhomes. But with each $1 higher it goes it becomes more major - though at $10/gallon I'd still go as long as I could find someone to ride with.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

you can ride with me anytime big guy :wink:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Gas is about the smallest expense for me. 30 miles round trip...15mpg in the truck that's 2gallons of gas. Even if it was $4 a gallon it's still less than I usually spend on food for a trip. The 2.3 Ford in my rail sips gas - even the VW powered people I go out with fill up more often than I do. Even when the other cars in camp have to stop and gas up I've never had to fill up even over a multi-day trip. I always bring 5 gallons with me...but either end up sharing them with someone else or dumping them into the truck at the end of the weekend.

Even so I haven't even made enough trips to justify my season pass this year. Just not a good year for duning. Too many other things in life right now (mostly good) keeping me busy. Hoping to get my monies worth with some late season day trips...but not looking like I'll have a lot of time for that either.

saychz316
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by saychz316 »

fuel costs not really beating me too bad. let me explain. i have a company truck that i have with me an average of 2-3 days per week, so my f-350 sits those days.
when i goto the dunes or desert, initial fuel costs are higher yes, but what im saving in daily driving costs, it averages out, if not saves me a couple bux. i bring ~18 gallons of gas for the generator, and ~35 in the fuel station. whatever dont get used between the bikes and genny, gets pumped into mommas rig when i get home. so i cant really count that as a cost. gotta put gas in her rig no matter what. food, drinks, beverages, all get eaten there or home. we dont eat any different camping, than we do at home. still have to eat, wether its here or there. so i dont count that as a cost. whatever food comes home, gets unloaded and finished off here.
so taking all that into consideration, it only runs me about 60-75 dollars in unleaded for the bikes and genny, and about 220-250 in diesel right now for a glamis/ocotillo run. about 250-300 depending on usage for total fuel, depending on weather, kids moods, mommas moods, etc. food/drink/beverage is about 250, but like i said, you have to eat here or there.
08 Weekend Warrior CR-3905
06 Ford 4x4 F-3 Fiddy Stroker
07 KTM 525 XC-W
06 Raptor 700R
70 Redneck that pilots all of the above.
74 Ole' Lady
06 Raptor 350
03 Little Girl
07 Honda CRF-50
04 Little Girl
?? Long Travel Rail (Someday)
We are all proud to be ASA Members. Are your kids and spouse members?

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

Good morning,
Did three trips this weekend that had nothing to do with offroading. Just thought I would report on Motor home and pickup truck drawn travel trailers while leaving out pickup trucks with dirt/quad/utv's loaded in the bed.
While on the 10 west, 605 south, through La Mirada and the 57 north, 10 east...we only witness 2 pickup truck drawn trailers on Friday.
The next day, from the 15 onto the 210 west, 57 south to Lambert Road to Hospital and back....one class A motor home pulling a small suv.
Last night same trip, not one RV of any type on the freeways?
Now, I'm sure there was RV's out in numbers, just while out there this weekend, we took notice of a very rare sight?
Light on the paddle,
RAD
PS: I drove wife's 26 mpg I 35 at $3.99 per gallon! Filled it upped from EEK level Friday :oops: Cost @ 3.99 X 15.5= $61.84 :oops:

crash

Post by crash »

All the RV's in the southwest were at the NASCAR race at PIR!!

If we are in a recession, you wouldn't know it by going to a NASCAR race. The house was PACKED!! and there were more RVs there than I have ever seen at this event. Beers were $8 a piece, but there was a constant line. Our group of four easily spent $1500 this weekend, and we aren't drinkers and stayed with family so no hotel rooms. Good weekend, but not cheap.

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

crash wrote:All the RV's in the southwest were at the NASCAR race at PIR!!

If we are in a recession, you wouldn't know it by going to a NASCAR race. The house was PACKED!! and there were more RVs there than I have ever seen at this event. Beers were $8 a piece, but there was a constant line. Our group of four easily spent $1500 this weekend, and we aren't drinkers and stayed with family so no hotel rooms. Good weekend, but not cheap.
I've been to NASCAR races and have to say "That's where the money's at" :shock:
I'm a firm believer in.... packing a wad of 20's once you inter the gates. My friends ask why would anyone sit in the 90-100 plus watching cars go around the track for 400 plus miles? My reply "If you have to ask...you wouldn't understand"!
I know you folks had a great time!
RAD
PS: Still....freeways being 99 percent empty of RV's while on the road was spooky :cry:

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Last weekend, I saw more folks than I expected for a Mid-April weekend.
Had a decent amount of desert traffic on the way out there too. I found myself wishing that their outings had been curtailed by HiFuel$$$.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

Woodglue wrote:Last weekend, I saw more folks than I expected for a Mid-April weekend.
Had a decent amount of desert traffic on the way out there too. I found myself wishing that their outings had been curtailed by HiFuel$$$.
Well, got my truck back from the Collision Center and I'm bummed!
Whoever did the paint and finish jacked me upped big time by doing such a banged upped job that the tonnul cover I had in the garage looks like sh....?
Pretty neat when the Pros bring the new look to a truck!
Went to fill the tank up at $3.77 Reg. in which in the past couple of months the ATM purchase are limited to (ARCO) $98.10 max!
I make up the difference with cash :cry:
Wood,
What happened on the road to make you wish........
RAD
PS: Was told by the attendant that I could make a $150 atm purchase and receive change at the outcome of fill up? In which I would've gotten back $18?

Hemet Duner
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Hemet Duner »

Can't let this slow us down. Still fairly cheap when compared to the Lake. Boat gas is far more expensive and you go thru a lot more! Once more for this season - Friday next. :)
JT

ChoppedLiver

Post by ChoppedLiver »

Washroad wrote: We are taking a non-riding trip to Pismo next month, and the Gilroy Garlic Festival in July (that's a 2 tank trip! but the camping is free!).
WR you'll have to stop on your way through and see us the new Lazer Star facility in Paso!

DSTMULE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DSTMULE »

NOPE, it is one of the few vices I have left....it puts a smile on my face and as i get older that means a lot to me. Life is too short not to have a good time.
Brakes...........We don't need no Stinkin Brakes

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

Woodglue wrote:
gelwell wrote: But I take more days off to get more bang for the buck.
That is probably the best way to curtail your costs... take fewer trips, but make each trip longer.
This equates to less miles driven to / from the dunes for the same amount of days spinning paddles. :wink:
This is exactly what we have been doing. I have also replaced a couple of our dune trips with hardpack trips to cut a couple of hours off the drive and thus lower the fuel costs. We have also made a few day trips with just the truck and bikes in order to get my riding fix....got to ride!
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

NOPE, it is one of the few vices I have left....it puts a smile on my face and as i get older that means a lot to me. Life is too short not to have a good time.
DSTMule you got that right. In the grand scheme of things the bottom line is life is just that too short. F it, riding like most of us is our way of life that only few truly really understand. So spend the money you will anyway on somethin' you may as well spend the way you want. =D>
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

So spend the money you will anyway on somethin' you may as well spend the way you want.
:? :| :? :|

You sure have a way with words Duke :lol: :lol:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

thor

Post by thor »

$450 for me to go there and back. that's just fuel for my truck :cry: :evil:

crash

Post by crash »

Not slowing me down. Just not making the longer haul to the dunes. I've gone more in the last couple months than I did all last year. I think alot of people aren't going though, as the places we have gone are near desserted.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

I think people have gone numb, i.e. there is no outcry like there was a couple years back. The politicians aren't making any noise. I looked up what Californians pay in state taxes at the pump and it infuriates me. We pay 7-1/4% per gallon plus and additional 18.4 cents. The State is making mucho coin. I read a while back (sorry woody can't remember where) the politicians do not know what they are going to do with the addition capital. It's almost like a hush thing with our State politicians. Common sense says you pay off the deficit and get the schools squared away, but I can see them wasting it and we, the constituents, won't even know it. :shock:

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

Sandcock wrote:I think people have gone numb, i.e. there is no outcry like there was a couple years back. The politicians aren't making any noise. I looked up what Californians pay in state taxes at the pump and it infuriates me. We pay 7-1/4% per gallon plus and additional 18.4 cents. The State is making mucho coin. I read a while back (sorry woody can't remember where) the politicians do not know what they are going to do with the addition capital. It's almost like a hush thing with our State politicians. Common sense says you pay off the deficit and get the schools squared away, but I can see them wasting it and we, the constituents, won't even know it. :shock:
SC,
If I remember correctly, there was a San Diego mayor whom became Governor of California, who in turn returned a billion dollar surplus?
One more item, spearheaded the raiding of California's power industry by allowing the outside money brokers to buy and sell back power to Californians?
RAD

SandCarFan
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by SandCarFan »

Sandcock wrote:The State is making mucho coin. I read a while back (sorry woody can't remember where) the politicians do not know what they are going to do with the addition capital. It's almost like a hush thing with our State politicians. Common sense says you pay off the deficit and get the schools squared away, but I can see them wasting it and we, the constituents, won't even know it. :shock:
The state agencies are paying more for fuel as well. Road crews, mass transit bus's, CHP cars, etc., etc.. that's one place the extra money may be going ... unless the bureaucrat's continue coming up with more pet projects to squander tax revenues on.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Have you ever seen a 15 million dollar bond proposed to be paid for by a 1/4-cent tax from you, where the bond will be paid off over a 15-year period? That's a lot of 1/4-cents put out by all to pay off the bond. This shows what 1/4 cent tax can do. So if you look at the current situation, we are paying approximately .29 cents per gallon, which is some major coin collected. I can't find the article, but there was an article in the San Fran Chronicle a few months back stating that the politicians would be able to use the taxes collected to help pay off the State deficit and were looking at ways to use the left overs :shock: I say, do the good folks of the Great State of California a favor and find ways to lower this tax \:D/ When the gas goes up to $5 a gallon it will be .3625 cents plus the 18.4 cents, or .5465 cents. That's a lot of revenue generated.

crash

Post by crash »

Sandcock wrote: I say, do the good folks of the Great State of California a favor.....
Wow! I bet that would work out to some hefty coin for the 10,000 or so of us! :shock: :lol:
Last edited by crash on Wed May 21, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

especially that race fuel you put into your toys :lol:

crash

Post by crash »

For the record, I only own ONE toy that requires race fuel. That's a race car. All my other toys run on pump gas. Unless you really need that extra few HP, race gas, IMHO, is a waste.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

I just don't see this working out at all. I'm not even planing a trip to Glamis at this point in time. All I'm trying to do is bring myself to fill up my Dakota. I just saw "the cheap station" here at 4.05 for reguliar. And what do I do during the Summer? Work on my rail. Oh poor fricken me. I can't even think of filling up my small truck to run around town why in the world would I want to get another toy going? But still the rail needs to be done, my Odyssey, that I don't really WANT to get rid of, needs seasonal maintenace...Why? They're not going any where. Oh and the F-250? Just a starter, battery and tires plus smog and registration THEN insurance so I can park it because gas is too high. Glamis? Summer nite rides? Vegas? I don't think so.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Summer nite rides?
We gotta rideshare :wink:

crash

Post by crash »

Man Sloppy. Your above post is an eco-freaks dream come true. Sounds like they've totally changed your attitudes and lifestyle by contributing to the increase in oil prices through the use of environmental laws and lawsuits. That's really too bad. :(

MattV

Post by MattV »

I have to wonder how much this is really affecting most people. I hear everyone complain about high fuel prices, but very few people seem to be doing anything differently. I have not observed a reduction in RV traffic on the road, nor a decrease in the number of boats going to the lake, or toys being pulled to wherever. No one I know seems to be making any real changes to what they do.
This weekend at the cinders should be interesting. I wonder if it will be the usual Memorial Day crowd. Unfortunately, this wont be a good weekend to judge by since any decrease could be just as easily caused by 90% chance of snow in the forecast. We shall see.
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

MattV

Post by MattV »

crash wrote:Man Sloppy. Your above post is an eco-freaks dream come true. Sounds like they've totally changed your attitudes and lifestyle by contributing to the increase in oil prices through the use of environmental laws and lawsuits. That's really too bad. :(
I managed to catch some of the questioning of a Shell Oil exec. the other day. Leahy of Vermont, perhaps one of my least favorite people in the world, essentially asked the guy how he could justify current prices in a "free-market". It was quickly pointed out that the oil industry is far from being a free market since congress would not authorize drilling in places like Alaska, and the outer shelf and has made it so very difficult to build new infrastructure through over-regulation.
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

crash

Post by crash »

Interesting you should bring that up MV. See my just posted rant on this very subject here:

http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... &sk=t&sd=a

:lol:

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

The cost of fuel is going to affect the price of just about everything.

Think about it.....almost everything you touch/use/need each and every day is moved by a truck at some point.

We charge a surcharge for fuel when it gets over $2.00 per gallon. Right now, our surcharge is right at 35%.

So, a load that normally charges $300 is now.....$405.

So that 1 pound of ground beef, that shirt you put on your back, the gas you pump into your car, it's all going to cost more.

Screw with the fuel that trucking uses and you get screwed on everything.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

crash wrote:Man Sloppy. Your above post is an eco-freaks dream come true. Sounds like they've totally changed your attitudes and lifestyle by contributing to the increase in oil prices through the use of environmental laws and lawsuits. That's really too bad. :(
WTF am I suppose to do? lie? Gas prices are nuts. Cash is kinda tight in my house. Should I go into debt to buy gas so I can go out and show the greens I can still go play? It almost makes me feel bad for buying my Skoal. Notice I said almost :wink:

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Sloppyduner wrote:. . . Glamis? Summer nite rides? Vegas? I don't think so.
In this thread you were just encouraging folks to join you on a ride. Which is it?

I'm toying with the idea of joining Sandcock at Glamis this weekend. But if so it will be the Tahoe pulling my open trailer and sleeping under the stars to keep the cost down since the rest of my family isn't interested in going.

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Washroad wrote:The cost of fuel is going to affect the price of just about everything.

Think about it.....almost everything you touch/use/need each and every day is moved by a truck at some point.

We charge a surcharge for fuel when it gets over $2.00 per gallon. Right now, our surcharge is right at 35%.

So, a load that normally charges $300 is now.....$405.

So that 1 pound of ground beef, that shirt you put on your back, the gas you pump into your car, it's all going to cost more.

Screw with the fuel that trucking uses and you get screwed on everything.
Welcome to Economics 101, I have to finance my gas every month because I dont carry $100 bucks around in my wallet. It is not just trucking but everyone in transportation. The airlines are getting creamed- 4 went out of business in April alone. You will see a lot more businesses and people getting creamed. My fear is that this will spin our entire economy out of control. They are saying by 2010 gas will be $7/gal. we will be screaming for $4 as a bargain. The problem is that it will get to a point that people wont be able to afford to go to work, do I hear public transportation?

Wouldn't it be great to have the Union Pacific load our MH's, trailers, etc on to flat bed rail cars and take us to Glamis on the 3:10 to Yuma? What a new possible revenue source for them. The problem is it would take them days to get there.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

MattV wrote:I have to wonder how much this is really affecting most people. I hear everyone complain about high fuel prices, but very few people seem to be doing anything differently. I have not observed a reduction in RV traffic on the road, nor a decrease in the number of boats going to the lake, or toys being pulled to wherever. No one I know seems to be making any real changes to what they do.
This weekend at the cinders should be interesting. I wonder if it will be the usual Memorial Day crowd. Unfortunately, this wont be a good weekend to judge by since any decrease could be just as easily caused by 90% chance of snow in the forecast. We shall see.
My personal observations is that people are making reductions, albeit minimal. I feel like I've noticed reduced RV trafic on the roads and I know based on what I've read that the RV industry is getting hammered. I've made personal observations all year long on this site and others that crowds size has been reduced at Glamis and other offroad areas this year, which has been substantiated, which I can only contribute to the economy (gas) etc.

There is a point where this becomes a problem for everyone. For many of us, it's now. For some, it might be at $6 bucks a gallon, for some it may be $10 a gallon. One thing is for sure, it's on EVERYONES mind NOW, else we wouldn't be talking about it all the time.

Raise your hand if you like paying $4 a gallon for gas, or $5 a gallon for diesel fuel.

And props to Sloppy. It's doesn't make him an eco nazi for admitting that the rising cost of EVERYTHING hurts his ability to be able to go to Glamis or bling out his toys. Geez!
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

crash

Post by crash »

I never called him an eco-nazi. I was just pointing out that this is EXACTLY what those eco-nazis want. I fully understand the down attitude Sloppy is feeling about fuel prices. Maybe it's time for him to cut back on a few vehicles. Maybe he should sell something. I know I am seeing this fuel thing as a great thing on one hand and a horrible thing on the other. The good part is that the price of big rails and big boats are coming down fast. I just bought one I never thought I could afford for about 1/3 what it used to be worth a couple years ago. Point is, it's not ALL gloom and doom, and the above statement by Slop, I KNOW, put a smile on the face of one or two of our "enemies". :( I don't like that, but I like Sloppy just fine, and I don't want to see him lose his good times at the dunes to the eco-freaks way of thinking. I feel his statement was pretty much like throwing in the towel, and I just hope that he, and others, won't actually do that.

I know I have made statements like "That's it! I'm selling everything!!" when I was piiissssed about a new law or expense, but it was just for illustrating my frustrations. I will NEVER quit. Even if I have to go to another state or even country. I love speed. Hopefully Slop is in that frustration boat with that statement.

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 »

When and if you start using less the cost will go up even more, why because fuel tax is by the Gallon, which is to say they will need to tax you more per Gallon to prevent loss of revenue. Just a little something to look forward to, as we will eventually start down the same slippery sloop Europe did decades ago...TJ :|
The Country is ran by the few that show up.
They are lead by the even fewer that step up.

http://WWW.TEAMSTEALTH.ORG Noise issue information.
http://WWW.OHMVR.COM Total Off Road Recreation!

Tom Tammone

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

The fact is that we are using less NOW. This is impacting us NOW. It is documented! Here's an excerpt from an article on MSN.com this morning...

...There are signs they are adjusting grudgingly. U.S. motorists drove 4.3% less in March -- the biggest monthly drop ever -- the Federal Highway Administration said Friday. The decline in vehicle miles traveled was the first for March since 1979, an agency statement said....

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... rkets.aspx

Still, no relief in sight. Blame it on the upcoming hurricane season predication. Blame it on the Cyclone in Myanmar or the Earthquake in China. Blame it on the failing dollar or OPEC. The rising consumption in third world nations or the corruption in Russia...whatever. There are a billion reasons right! It boils down to greed among global oil monopolies that are in collusion to gauge at the pump with government approval.

Anyone watch the senate oversight hearings a week or so ago? The oil executives got a real kick out of them. They were a real waste of time of course b/c it was just a dog and pony show.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Return to “Wide Open Sand”