To move back or not to move back. That is the ?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

rpickens
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

To move back or not to move back. That is the ?

Post by rpickens »

We moved to Texas about 10 years ago. Bought a house, made friends, had kids,ect,ect.
Well my Sister in law told my wife that after her yongest graduates(in 2011) we could move in with her for about a year or so to save for a down payment on a house. We have a great house in a great subdivsion but ther are a lot of appartments in the area and those appartments have gone to section 8. The grade school that my son will be going to in the fall is top notch. But after that the schools go down hill. So we where thinking of moving to another city with better schools when he is close to 6th grade or after 6th grade. Well where my sister inlaw lives, the schools are awesome.
We would also be able to go to the beach,snow ski, Glamis,Dumont,Pismo,ect. NO BUGS,the weather,we could swim at night in the pool, we would live close to family,ect.
On the other hand we would loose our great neighbors, have to down size on the house,traffic and have a higher cost of living.
Out here we can get a great home for 200K. In Ca we would have to spend 400K to 500K to get a decent house.
I do miss CA but I am just trying to figure out the pros and cons.
I know this has nothing to do with rails or quads just trying to get some good points of view.
Rolland Pickens
Supporting member Arlington, TX
Please help me run a marathon by donating to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
http://www.active.com/donate/tntntx/tntntxRPicken

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Re: To move back or not to move back. That is the ?

Post by jhitesma »

If you're thinking about moving to CA now is the time to do it.

I had a friend who moved from Socal to TN in '06 - cashed out his house got a new custom built house in TN and still had money in the bank. But after a few years there discovered that he just didn't like TN. He just moved back to CA this this month. The house he found is bigger and nicer than the one he had before and he payed less than half what he sold his old house in CA for. In fact - despite a bidding war on the house he still got it for well under asking price. "Buyers market" doesn't even come close to describing what a good time it is for a buyer right now.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Our public schools here in So.Cal were/are over crowded. We weren't in the best area either. We ended up putting out daughter in a private school from K-8th. It was about a decent new truck payment. And we only have the one kid, but I think it was the best money we ever spent.

On the other hand I think if anybody is going to move back to Ca. now is the time given the direction of housing market. And Glamis is a lot closer.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

rpickens
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by rpickens »

In Moorpark (where we would live) the schools are excellent and are ranked high. We have 3 nephews that went to school in Moorpark and they are all going to major univerisities. The schools out here are crowded as well. I think that problem is nation wide. Time wise we still have to wait a few years before we move.
Rolland Pickens

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

The grass sometimes appears to be greener on the other side of the fence and most of the time you still got to mow it. Find a place where you are at peace in your thinking and go with it. It's all about being content in life...sometimes you have to put up with the down side of life and sometimes we are blessed with the good side.........contentment is some where in the middle :wink:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad »

Tanya Tucker once said, "Texas is a great place to be from and a great place to 'go home' to but a terrible place to live."

I dunno. I have friends in the panhandle who wouldn't leave if they could, friends near you in the Dallas area and they love it.

The political climate in California sucks and is getting worse.

Don't forget; Texas has no state income tax and California does.

Our property tax is pretty bad, not as bad as Texas, but figure a $400,000 house/condo taxes will be about $4000 a year. Due to the no income tax, Texas property taxes are much higher but you still end up paying less taxes in Texas. Of course, income in Texas is somewhat down from here.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

crash

Post by crash »

All this stuff about contentment, bigger house, smaller house, blah, blah blah, to me, and apparently Sloppy, mean NOTHING. Do what is right and best for your kids!! That's what being a parent is about. You won't regret it.

ChoppedLiver

Post by ChoppedLiver »

Don't sell yourself short on SoCA. We just moved to Paso Robles and there are a lot of good deals here right now. For instance near me there are brand new townhomes 4bd 2.5 bath for $260,000 and that includes a boat slip on the lake. The elementary school close by is new and uncrowded. I'm not saying move here but there are deals to be had in CA outside of southern CA. Oh and Pismo is only 45 min away...

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie »

Personaly if your are looking to come back I would rent for a year or so. The housing market while getting better is still correcting in So. Cal. Yes for some it may be a great time to buy. For others (like myself) waiting a little longer will be prudent. That being said it also depends on your reason for buying. Residence long term or a few years and look to move again. I have been watching the market for sometime now. Here are a couple links of a couple sites I like to review. Take a look and decide for your self.

http://piggington.com/

http://patrick.net/housing/crash.html

rpickens
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by rpickens »

We wouldn't come back until 2011. Then we would be living rent free for a year or so at my Sister in-laws house to save for a down payment. Unless the market rebounds and prices go through the roof again, that is the plan. We are in Ca now visiting family for a couple of weeks and the weather has been fantastic. We are going to pay off our dept and get our finances in order and do the move. We miss it out here.
Rolland Pickens

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie »

Sounds like a good plan. Best of luck. :)

Return to “Wide Open Sand”