Out of state vehicles

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Out of state vehicles

Post by Brian_A »

I recently escaped Southern CA and moved to Texas. There is no off-road vehicle registration here. I am planning to meet some friends and family in Glamis (as these are the only things I miss about SoCal) over the christmas and new years holiday. What rules apply to vehicles for out of state riders as far as vehicle registration?

ddjthomas
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Out of state vehicles

Post by ddjthomas »

Proof of ownership has been a big deal lately and buy and "OUT OF STATE" green sticker when you get to Glamis. The sticker used to be $20, but it may have increased.
Donny
AKA: Digger
feet in the sand.....
you gatta love that

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

Nevada is currently the same in regards to OHV resgistration (none is needed). I still have my California Green Sticker on my quad (registered through 09), so I have just been using that until it runs out.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

dunernr
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by dunernr »

You need a "Non -Residant" permit/sticker for each OHV, they are $30 each...

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

And where would this Texican buy his out of state permit? Does the aSa on line store have them?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

Wait? an out of state permit is $30? I thought I only paid $20 last time for my in state green sticker. That seems californian. Charge someone more, maybe I should just renew green sticker. Just like CA to find a way to stick it to you. I work in texas for a year and for some reason STILL had to pay CA income taxes.... i didn't even work in the state. I suppose if i do get a temp sticker I need to go to DMV?

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma »

Out of state stickers used to be $20...but just like CA raised green sticker fees they raised the out of state sticker fees as well.

ASA used to sell the out of state stickers, but stopped when the accounting of where OHMVR money goes to became apparent. Instead the ASA decided to encourage people to register in their home states as best as possible to keep from feeding CA's broken system more funds.

RichB

Post by RichB »

jhitesma wrote: ASA used to sell the out of state stickers, but stopped when the accounting of where OHMVR money goes to became apparent. Instead the ASA decided to encourage people to register in their home states as best as possible to keep from feeding CA's broken system more funds.
I can understand where they're coming from but I wonder if that decision is worth another look?

Reason:

All of us Nevadans NEED to buy them anyway. I would prefer to buy mine from the ASA, have them make something off it, and perhaps pick up some new members when word of mouth spreads the ASA is a good place to buy a Non-Res pass.

The ASA can still encourage folks to register in their home state but for thousands of us in NV we have no option, let us give some business ($$$$) to the ASA. Also, I've met plenty of folks that only ride in CA even though they live in other states, for those folks it'd probably make logistical sense to run the CA permit, and could very well be cheaper for them too.

I agree with the ASA on the politics of this issue but don't give up on collecting money that's going to be spent one way or another.

More money for the ASA, more word of mouth about the ASA, more web traffic to the ASA site = WIN (regardless of the politics on the other end).
ASA Member

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

The number of people who CAN register in their homestate (and in most cases legally NEED to do so) far outnumbers the number of people who can't.

So by selling the passes they'd not only be making the available to NV duners who need them...but also to a lot of people in other states who are just trying to get around their states rules. (AZ people are a big issue with this...even though registration has been required in AZ since '97 most people here still think it's optional.)

Even if you only ride in CA you're usually still required to be registered in your home state. And CA recognizes other states registrations so registering in your home state is ALWAYS a better option than buying a CA out of state sticker where most of the money collected goes towards shutting down OHV opportunities.

RichB

Post by RichB »

CA (and UT) and probably most every other state that sells out of state permits for anything don't give a hoot about the home state (not their business); CA, UT etc will sell you a non-res sticker/plate in a heartbeat. It's the individual's responsibility to comply with laws back in their home state. Now if the state .gov's don't concern themselves with what is or is not being complied with in another state I don't see why the ASA would take such a radical stance as to turn away legal money.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree but HATE to see the ASA turn away business. The fact that the ASA isn't selling them does not deter anyone as they just pick them up at their local out of state shop, at the dunes, or from any number of vendors within CA. Sounds like a case of the ASA falling on a sword that doesn't belong to them.

Thanks for your take though.
ASA Member

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dunepilot »

My out-of-state green sticker is only valid for a year. Isn't the in-state green sticker valid for a longer period of time?
DunePilot

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

AZ has a mandatory OHV sticker comming out in January :shock: Altough most of us hate more FEES :( it will help fund OHV projects in AZ & is supposed to be valid in other states keeping us from buying CA & UT tags for dune trips etc. :wink: We'll see how much $$$$$$$ gets hijacked :evil:

I have AZ RV plates all the way back to 1988. :roll: My understanding is that you go to the MVD after January 1, 2009 with your title & get a sticker for your RV plate if you have one or get a new plate & sticker :idea: :?:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Nevada has been trying to set up a program here, they just can't figure out who's going to enforce it, so it never makes it out of the legislative process.
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

Well if the out of state registrations is the same cost as the temp I may as well just keep renewing the green stickers every year, as much as I hate to send money to the CA government. Texas has no registration for the vehicles. It kind of bites that I only plan to ride in CA once a year yet am going to be forced to pay another $120 for the registration... on top of camping permit fees.

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

$120 huh? The Calif green sticker is $25
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie »

gelwell wrote:$120 huh? The Calif green sticker is $25
It's $50 now every 2 years.

MattV

Post by MattV »

This is going to cause some issues, I'm sure. One version of the new Arizona sticker, allows the OHV to be operated on a public road, so long as it meets the legal requirements (mirror, horn, insurance, etc.).
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

The tag for the road & the OHV tag are different :wink:

AZ has let OHV's get road tags for years with certain requirements including, light, horn, insurance, etc... The new OHV tag is completely different :shock: I still run into people who think the RV tag they have lets them ride on dirt roads in AZ [-X not true designated trails & open OHV areas only :shock: The new OHV tag will be the new version of the RV plate in AZ similar to the Green Sticker in CA. Legally riding dirt roads and making pavement connections are why so many people had us put the required equiptment to register for the street on new quads & rangers when I worked @ Polaris :idea:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Brian_A
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Brian_A »

"120 huh? The Calif green sticker is $25"

Multiple vehicles.... although now hearing about the increase.... looks like that figure is $250 for 5 vehicles... OUCH! No wonder half the people I meet in Houston moved here from CA.

Return to “Wide Open Sand”