CBD Now Going After Red Rock Canyon

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

CBD Now Going After Red Rock Canyon

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

Center for Biological Diversity Encouraging the closure of Red Rock Canyon to Vehicular Use.

Red Rock Canyon State Park is amending their General Plan.

Comments needed in support of designating the route system throughout the Park to keep the roads open.

Red Rock Canyon State Park is not only rich in beautiful geology, but it is even richer in it's mining history and culture and we the people deserve to be able to responsibly tour the Park by motorized means.

CBD is on a all out letter writing campaign to ban all vehicle access to the park
Here is link to CBD release http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/21 ... _KEY=26365

Pretty scary stuff.

Letters and emails must be received by January 5th.
Please write your comments to both of the following,

Rdingman@Parks.Ca.Gov

RedRock@edaw.com

More info. http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

The El Pasos received some recent snow, the last time we remember it being like this is (6-8" at Burro Schmidt's) in the mid-90's (92?) and it is really beautiful in the mountains around Ridgecrest. The Red Rocks State Park Management Plan is in its comment period, and we need your input. The following note came in from one of our members and I thought it important enough to pass along.
"The Center for Biological Diversity is urging it's members to write letters encouraging the closure of the entire 27, 000 acres of Red Rock Canyon to vehicular use. The Center notes the Management Plan will govern use of the area for the next 20 years, and cites 2 endangered plants and the Mohave Ground Squirrel as some of the reasons to close the area. They are using buzzwords such as "defacto roads" and stating vehicles are destroying the pristine environment and killing desert tortoises.

Please see if you can make the time to write your own letter supporting the continued use of vehicles in Red Rock Canyon. Email your comments to: http://www.RedRock@edaw.com

or mail them to:
Russ Dingman,
California State Parks, Tehachapi District,
43779 15th Street West,
Lancaster, California, 93534-4754.

For more info go to: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

Here's an example of one person's comment:

I have been visiting Red Rocks State Park for over 20 years at least
once a month. I have never seen NEVER evidence of a tortoise killed on
one of the existing access roads to this beautiful area. I do suggest we
should limit access to roads that were established by the 1980's, such as
the 4wd routes through lower Last Chance Canyon. Thank You
Charles Hattendorf
Friends of Last Chance Canyon
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: CBD Now Going After Red Rock Canyon

Post by Sandcock »

done..............this is not going to stop............all who enjoy the great outdoors should become activists..........even if it is in a small way, i.e. a letter to Mr. Dingman. If you don't, CBD et al will coerce the government into taking away, resticting, and limiting our pleasure to recreate in the outdoors.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

Used to go there when I was a kid with the Tumbleweeds Jeep Club :D Rode an ATC for the first time there the all new Honda US90 :) Why they can't leave us alone :evil: They make it sound like we're getting more OHV areas all the time & they've convinced a large portion of the letter writting donating public that it's true :^o Get up & do something even something little like writing a letter & sharing the issue with a friend that may not be active yet =D> When we walk away the thieves left at the table will take the day [-X

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Astro wrote:Used to go there when I was a kid with the Tumbleweeds Jeep Club :D Rode an ATC for the first time there the all new Honda US90 :) Why they can't leave us alone :evil: They make it sound like we're getting more OHV areas all the time & they've convinced a large portion of the letter writting donating public that it's true :^o Get up & do something even something little like writing a letter & sharing the issue with a friend that may not be active yet =D> When we walk away the thieves left at the table will take the day [-X

Astro 8)
Let me add on something to what Astro said... At the off road shows I do, often times people pass right by our "sand" booth. They say they don't go to Glamis and keep walking. What I try to explain to them is we're all fighting the same fight. If we don't send these groups like the CBD a message on how WE ALL will be fighting against them, then they'll just go after the smaller areas here, a small area there. When they try to close ANY area if we go there or not, we ALL should treat it like we've been going there all our lifes.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

crash

Post by crash »

Thank you Sloppy. That is exactly the point I was trying to make when I was a little irate about the gate closure to an area that, while I had visited the area once or twice, I don't regularly use. It was/is a little bite of the elephant, and I for one am seriously POed about any and ALL of those bites. IT HAS TO STOP!! MITIGATION FOR ANY CLOSED AREAS SHOULD BE MADE A LAW!!

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Personally, I'm not for mitigation anymore. In my experience, it has been two acres for one. On a project that I am involved with, it is $40,000 for an acre. The kicker is, if for any reason an area is not maintained and habitat is allowed to re-establish itself, then you are back to square one. So, you just lost two acres and you lost the mitigated acre (even if it is because of your own negligence). IMO, the off road users, outdoorsmen, and others need to find justifications to sue our advisaries so that they have to come up with the money to justify their means.
Last edited by Sandcock on Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Sand Commander
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Sand Commander »

I sent in my comments.
Come on gang.
Get those comments in or we might loose this riding area.
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

Vincent J Brunasso

ttt
Vincent J. Brunasso

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Wayne_Nosala
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Wayne_Nosala »

Folks, They want it all closed to motorized use.

Compliance with current rules has been excellent, the smokescreen tact that CBD
claims is pure BS. The park is in great shape.

CBD is also appealing recent opening of two trails in the Rand mountains
by the volenteer efforts of Friends of Jawbone

I practically grew up riding the Red Rock area.

I attended the first scoping meeting in December , We out numbered the greens 8-1

But This is a war of comment letters

Please submit comments Deadline Jan 5th 2009

All we are asking for is the current routes we enjoy in the park, Most of it is alredy closed to OHVs

Rdingman@Parks.Ca.Gov

RedRock@edaw.com

More info.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25064

This will going to be a battle of comment letters

Great letter posted #17 at the following
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showth ... 129&page=2

The guy offered others to use some of his writings for template

Thanks
Wayne

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

Email sent

Vincent J Brunasso

ttt
Vincent J. Brunasso

--Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Wide Open Sand”