Freaking spammers

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Freaking spammers

Post by jhitesma » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:11 pm

Some of you may have noticed the past few days that there has been an increase in spammers trying to flood the site with their ads.

The moderation/admin team is working on adding new measures to the board that will help cut down on this. In the meantime we are trying to remove them as soon as possible but we can't be on 24/7 watching.

If anyone spots any spam the best thing to do is use the "report" function of the board (It's the button with the little red circle with a line through it under each post.) to mark the spam. Doing so makes it easy for moderators to find and remove as quickly as possible. PMimg us just means we have to spend time checking PM's instead of deleting this stuff...and there's no guarantee that whoever you PM will be the first to log back in. Using the report function all moderators can see the problem posts and deal with them as soon as they login.

Thanks for your patience and help while we work to stop this.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Freaking spammers

Post by Kevlar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Has been happening on my forum too and a few others I visit as well. Whats the connection and why all of a sudden on multiple sites???

jhitesma

Re: Freaking spammers

Post by jhitesma » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:51 am

I've been seeing it on a number of servers I maintain. Don't know why but there's been a BIG push by the spammers lately, it's not just forums but blogs and e-mail that are getting hammered as well.

I put some extra protections in place on our signup page and it seems to have helped block the current crop on here. But I'm sure that with time they'll adapt and be back :(

Return to “Wide Open Sand”