Radar Detector

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Radar Detector

Post by Sandcock »

I got a ticket on my way up to Oregon a few weeks back. So, when I got to Oregon I bought a radar detector. For you LEO's are they legal in California? I'm hearing yes and no.........
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

teebird
1st Gear Member

Re: Radar Detector

Post by teebird »

I thought radar detectors are legal in California, but it is illegal to stick anything, suction cup, to your windshield. Which is pretty stupid if you see all the GPS's on people's windshields.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Yes they are legal.

You can place it, like a GPS, in the left lower corner of the windshield. Anywhere else is a violation.

One type of devise that is illegal, is a radar jammer, which some dectors have the ability to do...but they are high dollar ones.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Loren, is that the left as you are sitting in the vehicle or left as you look at it?
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck »

Glamisbound wrote:You can place it, like a GPS, in the left lower corner of the windshield. Anywhere else is a violation.
:-k I don"t understood that. Seems with all the talk about drivers needing to pay more attention to the road and not their cell phones, etc. that the law would be OK with this kind of stuff (GPS, radar detectors, etc) being mounted in the center of the dash/windshield where the passenger can see it. Always best to let the navigator do the navigating. :wink:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Glenn, I'm glad you questioned my response because it prompted me to read the section again, which just went into effect as of January of 2009 thanks to the Gubernator. The law applies specifically to GPS units and does not mention radar dectors...so I'm sorry to say Scott, I made a mistake when I said that it was legal to place a radar detector on your windshield. While they are legal, placing them on your windshield could be consider a violation under section 26703 of the Cal. vehicle code and could be PC for a traffic stop.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

So, I could place it on the dash and there shouldn't be an issue? Problem is that the dash has contours. However, I wouldn't think the actual position of the detector matters, because it is able to pick up signals all around me.

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

Our detector sits in the lower/bottom of the dash a little right of center for the navagator/passenger.
If stoped for any reason and questioned it's A Weather Service Detector

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

:-s If your radar detector works right then you shouldn't get pulled over and the LEO won't see it. ](*,)

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

There are circumstances that occur, i.e. you round a corner and there's a radar on you that didn't get detected because of the corner. This happened to me around Yreka. I had to make some quick adjustments. Things happen sloppy, so no it isn't always what seems logical.

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

Sloppyduner wrote::-s If your radar detector works right then you shouldn't get pulled over and the LEO won't see it. ](*,)
True True, but I said If stoped for any reason and questioned about the detector.
Could be slowing for a traffic accident.
OR the Officer noticed what looked like a crack in the windshield as you passed him sitting on the road side at 60+mph.
OR Just becuase your car matches the description of a like car..........like 10,000 other cars :o

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

I always heard that radar detectors were pretty much useless. Since the radar hits the detector it already caught you while you were speeding. So whats the point in having them
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie »

And then you have the instant on. Kind of hard to pick up in time to slow.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

They actually work.

teebird
1st Gear Member

Post by teebird »

They do work if the officer is leaving his radar on. The CHP in cars do this quite a bit. The new point and shoot lasers are tougher. I think if spotted your car first with the laser you're hosed. But if you got some stray signals from another car you may have time to slow down.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

The main problem with radar dectors is that most people never turn them on...Why you ask...because they give so many false readings, people get tired of hearing them go off. This especially applies in urban areas. Now the CHP does still use radar on interstates quite a bit...in which case a dector can be helpful becuase it can pick up a distant radar activation. Keep in mind radar beams starts narrow from the radar gun but expands in a cone pattern out from the radar. The farther away you are, the wider the beam.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I've always just found it easier to drive reasonably. Over 18 years now and not a single speeding ticket. I have been pulled over for speeding a few times, but have always been let off with a warning. (even if a zero tolerance high enforcement zone remarkably.)

I don't exactly follow the speed limits exactly...but I don't normally go any more than 10 over.

And quite often on trips I see someone blow past me going well over the speed limit...but end up passing them later on at my same steady pace and reaching the destination first. Using less gas to get there sooner and without a ticket is just a big win in my book.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

It's been like 7 years since I got a ticket!
Today, I drove up to riverside, mapquest directions in hand to find my Insurance Company. I need to take the new trailer up there tomorrow for them to photograph it. Wanted to make sure I could get the trailer into their place.
Following the mapquest directions, I turned left onto a street and continue up where I see a police car with lights on parked on the side of the road. The LEO directs me to pull over behind her car and I did. She tells me that I was not allowed to make a left turn back there, that the lane was closed for construction. :? I didn't see any sign saying that a left turn was not allowed.
So, she wrote up the ticket and I was on my way.
After leaving the insurace company, I drove back by the same way that I came in.
:shock: Apparently, I drove right around the "no left turn / no u-turn" sign that was IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LEFT TURN LANE while I was making sure that I was turning onto the correct street.

#-o
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

That sucks Woody. I haven't even gotten pulled over in like 6 years. Last time I got a ticket we Dec 6 1999. Got out of it because it was for unsafe lane change, but it was the morning I had my stroke and I was on my way to the Dr. But still I think I have been pretty lucky.

Now when its a temporary no turn situation because of construction will the fine be doubled? Or is it always a no left/U turn?

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

I don't know, but I'm expecting the fine to be doubled.
Don't know if it makes a difference, but it was "Railroad Construction", not CalTrans.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Woodglue wrote:I don't know, but I'm expecting the fine to be doubled.
Don't know if it makes a difference, but it was "Railroad Construction", not CalTrans.
Look on the ticket...there should be a box with "construction zone" (or something similar) next to it. If that box is checked, your hosed.

Bummer about the cite. But that is not the first time I've heard of peope breaking the law by following their GPS.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Thanks Loren,
I don’t see that kind of a box on the ticket.
There are two unchecked boxes….
One is labled “C.V (V.C.15210b)”
And the other one is “H.M. (V.C. 353)”
:?
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Woodglue wrote: (V.C.15210b)
Driving a chevy instead of a Ford...huge fine”
Woodglue wrote:And the other one is “H.M. (V.C. 353)
listening to that techno stuff. You just get laughed at for that. Get caught a second time and you have to register with local law enforcement and notify your neighbors” :lol:

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Sloppyduner wrote:
listening to that techno stuff. You just get laughed at for that. Get caught a second time and you have to register with local law enforcement and notify your neighbors” :lol:
Very funny!

Those section are not in the California vehicle code and I'm not familiar with them :? It's been a couple years since I wrote a traffic cite :wink:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

MattV

Post by MattV »

Glamisbound wrote:
Sloppyduner wrote:
Very funny!

Those section are not in the California vehicle code and I'm not familiar with them :? It's been a couple years since I wrote a traffic cite :wink:
You know it's funny. I just recently disposed of my copy of about 300 cites that were 10 plus years old. I kept a few of them that were especially meaningful. Most because they brought back fond memories of people and funny experiences. One, because it was written along with an officer who was murdered the following day.
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

Its been almost six weeks and no notification so I called Merced Co. Traffic Div. to find out what was happening. The gal told me that they were overwhelmed and late getting the notifications out, but mind had been processed on 28 Sept. She took my drivers license number and told me what I would be fined...............................$509.00 for towing a car trailer at 77 mph :shock: I'm crying :cry:

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie »

Holy c***p batmnan. :shock: Thats enough to keep me driving slower.

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

Sandcock wrote:Its been almost six weeks and no notification so I called Merced Co. Traffic Div. to find out what was happening. The gal told me that they were overwhelmed and late getting the notifications out, but mind had been processed on 28 Sept. She took my drivers license number and told me what I would be fined...............................$509.00 for towing a car trailer at 77 mph :shock: I'm crying :cry:
Well, don't you know that you aren't allowed to drive faster than 55mph while towing ANYTHING in California? #-o #-o

I feel bad for you. My last speeding ticket in a commercial vehicle was for doing 77mph driving a set of doubles through Corona (I was on the 91 freeway and it was 3am)! I think that was back in '87 and it cost me about $300 at the time. :(
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Washroad wrote: My last speeding ticket in a commercial vehicle was for doing 77mph driving a set of doubles through Corona (I was on the 91 freeway and it was 3am)!
That's about the only time that you can do 77mph on the 91 in corona. Any other time, you're doing the Corona Crawl! :roll:

Washroad wrote:I think that was back in '87
:shock: Dang!

You're old! :lol:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Sandcock wrote: towing a car trailer at 77 mph
Ya man what the heck? I've towed at that speed before but that was in my 20's. Your over 40 at least. Forget the radar detector slow down.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

I have already slowed down, but I have a heavy foot. I still like to drive in that 60-65 range. That is where I'm comfortable at. In Oregon the vehicle towing a trailer is 65 mph unless posted. The speed signs are for trucks only. I was told that many other states are like Oregon. Wonder why Cal is different?

btw sloppy, just cause I'm old doesn't mean that I should creep along :-k It will all eventually catch up to me and I'll be going sloooooooooooooooooooooow and thinkng I'm really going fasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst :lol:

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Sandcock wrote: Wonder why Cal is different?
All the states are different. Arizona, all vehicles can do 75mph with no lane restrictions. Montana has no speed limit. Ohio has a speed limit for cars, one slower for certain other vehicles, and one even slower for trucks; they have a lot of accidents from people running into the backs of trucks. Some states allow trailers to be 57 feet long, California allows only 53 feet. Gotta check the guide book before you cross state lines.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Actually I just drove from Cleveland to Cincinnati and back this week and apparently Ohio now has one level speed limit. They still have the signs for the split limit but it was the same for cars and trucks on all of them now. Not sure when that changed.

Got beamed by a laser on my way down, almost soiled my pants when my dad's detector went off it was so loud. Had the cruise set at 9 over the limit though and they didn't even give me a second look. Over 16 years since I was pulled over and almost 18 since I had a ticket. Seldom follow the limit but always try to keep it to no more than 10 over. Seems to be working well for me. I pass more people than pass me, get to my destination faster than the GPS says I should and my insurance premiums keep going down down down.....

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

:shock: Quick... knock on wood!
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

In regards to Jason's comments, most cops do have an over limit threshold. Mine was almost always 10 + over. Anything less than that, got a pass, unless there was something that made it unreasonable at that time. Some cops are 5+ over, most are 10+ over, and some are 15+ over or ???.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

...BTW, I usually roll the speed limit plus 8 mph...never got a ticket :mrgreen:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Woodglue wrote::shock: Quick... knock on wood!
When I realized it had been that long I told Amy - "Watch, now I'll get pulled over for going 2 miles over in a construction zone in heavy traffic when I have no choice but to keep up with everyone around me and the cop won't cut me ANY slack."

The last time I got pulled over was for doing 37 in a 25 on a residential street in college. According to the guy who pulled me over the residents had been complaining and they weren't supposed to be ticketing ANYTHING over 25 for a week to send a message. But when he saw my record was clean he said he just couldn't bring himself to write me up since I seemed like a good kid and even his wife does 35 through that stretch. (it was a two block 25 zone on a street that was 35 everywhere else.) I knew it was 25 but since everyone ignored it and just did 35 I usually did too. I even admitted it to him and told him I knew I deserved the cite, I figure that was part of why he let me off. Thankfully since then I haven't even been pulled over.

There was just an article in the local paper in Yuma about AZ highway patrol being told they can't write you up for speeding unless you're 11 over. They can still pull you over, but can't cite you. Apparently it's due to some law they passed to allow the speed cameras that had language saying the cameras can't issue a cite unless you're more than 11 over - and to keep things fair the courts said they either have to get rid of the cameras or instruct DPS to follow the same rules. And no way they're getting rid of the cams.

I had heard from other officer friends that they all have their own "trigger" speeds (conditions depending) and my choice of 9 over is pretty safe. The people who blow past me usually make me feel a little more secure with my 9 over as well, and considering how many times I then pass them while they're on the side of the road having a chat with the black and white I guess my strategy works :D

FWIW Amy has been pulled over 3 times in the past few years for speeding, and once for a burned out license plate light (that was just an entirely friendly warning stop since one light was still working)...but managed to charm her way out of a cite each time. I think her luck will probably run out sooner than mine!

MattV

Post by MattV »

A big part of the reason for the 11 over thing is that officers typically cite 28-701A-Speed not reasonable and prudent. It would be tough to sell to most judges that less than that is not R&P under normal conditions. Of course, this makes it entirely possible to get cited for going 45 in a 65 if the conditions make that speed unsafe. (Think flooded roadway, blowing dust, etc.) There are also prima facie speeds in certain areas, like school zones. In other words, the 15mph speed limit in a school zone is absolute.

The photo radar tickets are usually issued under an entirely different statute.

In Arizona, at least...

When I was in patrol, I typically wouldn't write anyone unless they were at least 15 over, although they may have been talked to about things at slower speeds. Exceptions applied to certain stretches of road, like neighborhoods, or other areas that had special hazards, and my rule was also dependent on driving conditions. I've cited a couple of people for non R&P (speeding) who were actually going slower than the posted speed limit. Customer attitude played a significant role sometimes, too. I was taught that the purpose of a traffic ticket was to encourage voluntary compliance with traffic laws. Most of the time, if it appeared that my telling someone to knock it off was going to be sufficient, I left it at that, assuming everything else was as it was supposed to be.
Last edited by MattV on Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MattV

Post by MattV »

Glamisbound wrote:...BTW, I usually roll the speed limit plus 8 mph...never got a ticket :mrgreen:
I have found that to be the case in California, even with the trailer. That is 8 or so mph over the 55mph limit.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

MattV wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:...BTW, I usually roll the speed limit plus 8 mph...never got a ticket :mrgreen:
I have found that to be the case in California, even with the trailer. That is 8 or so mph over the 55mph limit.
Affirmative :mrgreen:
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

MattV

Post by MattV »

I've always found it best to fly under the radar... So to speak. 8)

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Well, made it back from our trip and despite several hundred more miles of 9-10 over driving logged I'm still clear on my 16 year record of not getting pulled over. Didn't even remember to knock on that wood.

Though I will say scheduling the majority of our driving days on non-weekends meant that only on the CLE-CIN leg (which was last Sunday) did I really even see any enforcement activity. Only black and whites I saw yesterday on the PHX-YUM leg as two DPS cruisers parked at their station in Gila Bend.

Actually saw more duners heading out than officers, and I only saw 3 duners (maybe 4...but one only had knobbies on their quads so I couldn't be sure!)

r erfert
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by r erfert »

Returned from a Laughlin trip last week where I had to out run :roll: a set of flashing lights from just outside Quartsite to MCAS...radar detector went off a few times on the hill peaks :lol:
Were they after me :?: Will never know
I was about 14 over on the 65 mile streach for the whole route. (78 is the usuall sweet spot of the car)

Last ticket I got was in Maracopa county for driving 68 in a 55 (one of 4 cars in the middle following a truck from Texas) the DPS going the other way picked me out of the crowd :?: :?: driving an old 1984 delta 88 with 4 people in it (me and 3 milionaires)
The cop asked if I had any weapons?
I told him I did not >> not sure of the rest #-o he steps back with big eyes :o hand on his pistol.....I told him easy were just headed to the Phoenix car auction.....I got wrote for Wasting a Finite resorce even as I explained to the office the car had an overdrive transmission and taller rear end gears than factory making it actually better than stock at saving fuel.....
True it would save more at the posted speed.
I still say bs one that one, but never the less the ticket was not worth taking the day off work during the week to drive back to Gila Bend and fight it.

Return to “Wide Open Sand”