Where is everyone?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Where is everyone?

Post by f-BOB »

Not that I have any room to talk but...what happened to all the activity that used to be in these forums? Even the 'regulars' appear to be taking a hiatus of weeks between posts. Is there nothing going on these days in the dunes? Are peeps just not goign as often as they used to so have less to chat about? I know that's the case for me and I know a few other people in the same boat or worse, they'ev stopped duning! How about it? Why aren't fols posting as frequently now as in the past?
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: Where is everyone?

Post by DuneRookie »

Wondering the same thing myself :?:

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

I'm still here, but like most people these days, things have changed quite a bit for me. I never posted a lot, but I do check the board almost everyday.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

I too have been wondering that Dune rookie and myself were talking about it the other day. What is up Duners?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

FE135
1st Gear Member

Post by FE135 »

I never post up much but am around.

bgwhtjp33
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by bgwhtjp33 »

I check in almost daily....but don't post much
Your just jealous.....cause the voices don't talk to you

Ed T.
93 Jeep Cherokee
07 Predator 500

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB »

Seems like lots of folks 'check in' but just don't have much to say these days. I can understand that. It's good to know peeps are still interested just a little disappointed that the volume of posts has dropped so much. Can't blame it on the economy, posting here is FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Posting & reading daily was like Crack for me. I had an intervention with myself, then asked BHenry to take over. :wink: I'm now a recovering BB Admin taking it easy. :mrgreen:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB »

LoBuck wrote:Posting & reading daily was like Crack for me. I had an intervention with myself, then asked BHenry to take over. :wink: I'm now a recovering BB Admin taking it easy. :mrgreen:
I know this bbs was very much like that for many of us and that things have changed with folks over the years. It is good to know that folks are still around and checking in.

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma »

Still check in...but haven't had anything to say. Haven't been able to make it out to the dunes this year and it's not looking good for the rest of the season either. Amy just hasn't been getting weekends off and with Katie now I can't do quick solo trips.

But we haven't even gotten to do any family trips due mostly to Amys schedule...plus she likes to go out in the rail as well but one of us has to watch Katie and Amy can't reach the pedals in the rail so until I get the Manx done (which she can reach the pedals on) it's not likely we'll be going out. And I haven't had time to do any work on the Manx since before thanksgiving due to our schedules :(

Will finally be doing our first camping trip of the season next weekend...but doing hardpack instead of the dunes. If I get the fresh tank re-installed in the RV in time. What I thought was going to be a quick easy 1 hour project has turned into a multi-day nightmare that still isn't over.

Mudkattgowfo
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Mudkattgowfo »

I too am one of the ones that just checks to see what is happening here and what others are doing. Since I am now in the great Pacific North West our season is more the spring summer fall months. So during the winter I live vicarously through the ASA as it seems to be more SoCal riding types. Not that I don't see other folks as part of the ASA.

I also think that Face Book and other social media seems to have taken away from the Quad/Rail/Dirt/Sand type forums. But since we don't use our Nick names there it is harder to find each other if not regular friends. That seems to be the case up here as well and you see some of the same posts, like I got my new truck and here are pics, posted on the Forum and Face Book and suprise Face Book has more hits or comments.

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Booga-dune-poon »

I must confess I've been lurking around this forum for about 3 years and have enjoyed reading what everyone else had to say. Many pearls of wisdon have been found too.

But to the point, it does appear that something has sucked the energy out of our tribe. Maybe the economy or many have grown tired of their toys? I think it's much deeper than that. For me to explain though, you'll have to bare with my strained methaphore.

For those who have seen the movie

Then you know what "The Nothing" is

I agree as was suggested earlier in this thread, that social media is where all the people have gone and that Face Book is "The Nothing".
Kevin

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

This is a good thread.........

Why do we keep the fire alive????????????????
between-the-J-tree.jpg
This use to be a file that I could post in all its glory. This pic . Now I have to reduce the file down to this level. Because some people here on these threads do not like me because ISPEAK MY MIND.
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I'll tell you the truth as I've been around here for a long time.

The decline in posting has very little to do with the economy, or the explosion for social network sites IMO.

It has to do with the fact that many quality individuals, outspoken maybe, have been driven away from this board for not agreeing with certain people, ASA philosophies, or for making passionate posts. I have seen many people censored, over moderated, banned, etc, over the years, which has caused many of them to move on to other sites. The loss of these personalities has had a detrimental impact on this board. It has taken the life out of.

Personally, I still believe in the ASA and still support it. I check in here regularly, but don't post nearly as much as I used to because it just doesn't feel alive anymore, no offense to any of the great friends I've made here!

GB
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Glamisbound wrote:I'll tell you the truth as I've been around here for a long time.

The decline in posting has very little to do with the economy, or the explosion for social network sites IMO.

It has to do with the fact that many quality individuals, outspoken maybe, have been driven away from this board for not agreeing with certain people, ASA philosophies, or for making passionate posts. I have seen many people censored, over moderated, banned, etc, over the years, which has caused many of them to move on to other sites. The loss of these personalities has had a detrimental impact on this board. It has taken the life out of.

Personally, I still believe in the ASA and still support it. I check in here regularly, but don't post nearly as much as I used to because it just doesn't feel alive anymore, no offense to any of the great friends I've made here!

GB
I tend to agree with you Loren. The question is how do we change it or can it be changed?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

@GB >BINGO
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I don't know if it can be fixed Gene. This board has always touted itself (I'm not saying its good or bad) as a "family" board. Passionate posts, and strong political views, have been dissuaded from the get go. I can think of several members off the top of my head that no longer post here because they were told to "tone it down". Personally, I enjoyed reading their posts, both ones I agreed with and ones I disagreed with...and it's sad that they are no longer around because so much left with them…
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer »

I'm still checking in every day or so...but since I have "retired" from Glamis, I don't seem to have the passion for posting anymore...and the old "names" are gone.

Besides we have beaten all the dead horses for years...
Frankie

Member of the ASA

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Time to circle the wagons

Kevin

proglamis
ASA Transportation Vice Chair
ASA Transportation Vice Chair

Post by proglamis »

I'm still here, too. Lots going on for me in Glamis, just not so much in the sand. Can't get there from here. Problems with access.

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Booga-dune-poon wrote:Time to circle the wagons

Where is this? It looks like Dumont from the air.

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

gelwell wrote:
Booga-dune-poon wrote:Time to circle the wagons

Where is this? It looks like Dumont from the air.
Yes, it is Dumont Dunes. In the center left of the photo is the valley that separates Banshee Hill on the left from Competition Hill on the right.
Kevin

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Not bad for recognition since I had only been to Dumont once and obviously on the ground. But I knew that it wasn't the ISDRA the big dunes were separated.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Dumont's a great place. High speed mountain. Only time to go now is when the temps are cold, 40's and below. The people and the crowds stay away and with the cold comes the wind....... :shock:

We know how to deal with the cold, so we have the place to ourselves and all the tracks are ours. Did I mention the part about High Speed............... :-^
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Cold-and-smooth.jpg
Shall we all regain some of the passion. 8)

I've never lost it. :-s
Pic-with-a-flaw.jpg
Sad I can't post these pic's in all their glory. :cry:

I have so many..................
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Glamisbound wrote: I have seen many people censored, over moderated, banned, etc, ...
For the record, only one person has ever been banned from this board. His username is Blue Sky and he is an extreme enviro-nut that wrought havoc to this board in it's early days. He has made a few attempts to come back using different usernames taking little time to show his true colors and raise the ire of the responsible off-roaders and ASA members. Even though Blue Sky was banned if you do a search of "Blue Sky" his posts from 2001, 2002 & 2003 will still come up although the username of those post will display as "deleted".

Moderating this board was very difficult at times, especially when I personally shared the views or opinions of the rule offending poster that I had to moderate.
gelwell wrote:I tend to agree with you Loren. The question is how do we change it or can it be changed?
...and then...
Glamisbound wrote:I don't know if it can be fixed Gene. This board has always touted itself (I'm not saying its good or bad) as a "family" board. Passionate posts, and strong political views, have been dissuaded from the get go.
I guess it may be changed IF, as an ASA member, someone wants to volunteer to join the Moderating Team and then take their suggested changes to the ASA Board of Directors. Then again, maybe not.

I'm not the BBS Admin anymore, Bryan Henry has graciously taken that role. I asked Bryan to to take over and recommended to the ASA BOD that they accept his offer to do it. I won't go into the details of the reasons I quit, but will say that I didn't agree with some decisions that were made by the ASA BOD regarding certain content posted on the board and actions taken to remove it without consulting myself and the Moderating Team.

This board used to have a lot of traffic and good conversations. I miss that time. Maybe it will be back. One thing I'm certain of, I tried my best to keep it going, it was just too hard to win.
'79 CJ5

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

:-k I may have to take a Dale Carnegie course after this. :-^

Your ASA Board of Directors last logged in visit as of 1/14/11:

Bob Mason (BobMason) Last visited: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 pm =D>
Robert Gagliano (BeachHead) Last visited: Fri May 22, 2009 4:34 am #-o
Dick Holliday (Doc) Last visited: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 pm =D> =D> =D> =D>
Gary Jordan - not registered on the BBS :shock:
Scott Swenka (azpyroguy) Last visited: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:46 pm =D>
Michael Sommer (Hot VW Guy) Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:50 pm #-o

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Nicole Gilles (nixsternik) Last visited: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:24 pm =D> =D>
'79 CJ5

BHenry

Post by BHenry »

Thanks for chiming in Glenn about the "overmoderation". I've been a moderator for some time now, and I know we have always tried to come down on the side of less intervention. However, its still our job to enforce the rules here, and when someone breaks a rule, we do need to take action. Everyone knows that a disgruntled "customer" will tell 12 people about their bad experience, but how many satisfied "customers" tell their friends about their positive experiences? I think some of the complaints of heavy-handedness here come from that perspective.

That being said, if there is anyone who would like to volunteer as a Moderator, please feel free to contact me.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

I know I probably do more than my share of whining around here. Despite all my whining, I do appreciate the time others give to these boards as it can be a thankless job.

So Thanks for your time moderators. =D>
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

For me, I'd like to know my daughter can rip some of the same stuff I did. For me the 49,000 acres was a dream world of fast paced use your mind kind of dunning. Bring it. Shred it, kind of stuff.

It seams to me, the fire is dying out. Where is the passion. Oh well Danny Pattie-boy with his democratic party buddies have won this battle/war.

Just kiss the 49,000 acres good buy and hope to hold on to the rest ](*,)

Not me, you have to change the strategy, if your aren't winning the battles........

And that, PEOPLE, is POLITICS..........

Thake a stand. Or
Just-sitting-around-getting.jpg
Just sit around and get old.......... #-o
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

First, let me be clear, I appreciate the moderation team here, all of whom are volunteers, some of whom are my friends.

Second, what I posted, I believe to be pretty accurate. Maybe the use of the word "banned" was an exaggeration, but my point was valid.

I'm not saying the way this board is moderated is bad; I'm just saying it's at least part of the reason why the board is dying out. Would I like to see it "relaxed" a bit, yes I would. Do I think that would bring some people back, yes I do.

I think what the BOD has to consider is that this BBS is a very important aspect of the overall marketing strategy of the ASA. A popular BBS is very important to spreading the word of the organization.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

BTW, I'm here, for today.

Honestly, I stopped coming on for two reasons. First and foremost, I got a job that made me actually work. I used to get paid for sitting on my butt, but now they expect me to actually do something to earn my keep. Jerks!

Secondly, I felt like there were some opinions on this board that were not in line with my own, and I got tired of fighting with them. It seems hard to make any progress at all if we can not even stand together on the definition of what we are willing to accept. The government can not make everyone happy, and they are going to go with the majority vote. We will never be a majority if we are divided.

The CBD and enviro-nazis have it easy, they all want to shut everything down. We have it tough, some of us are not willing to accept any closures or changes, and some of us are just trying to minimize the damage done as much as possible. But if we can't make a stand as a group and draw a line in the proverbial "sand", there really is no fight to be had. We will loose, because we can't get out of our own way. I just decided to stop fighting with my own team.

See you in another 6 months or so...
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

My goal is to go over 2000 posts this year, so I'll posting to get there :wink:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Sandcock wrote:My goal is to go over 2000 posts this year, so I'll posting to get there :wink:
Should not be a problem... just keep up the pace and you'll make 2359. :wink:

Sandcock
Total posts: 1899
[0.88% of all posts / 1.35 posts per day]
'79 CJ5

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Glamisbound wrote:I'm not saying the way this board is moderated is bad; I'm just saying it's at least part of the reason why the board is dying out. Would I like to see it "relaxed" a bit, yes I would. Do I think that would bring some people back, yes I do.
This piqued my curiosity. Where would you, or anyone else, like to see it "relaxed" a bit'?

Listed below are the Bulletin Board Rules Of Conduct. I highlighted in RED the rules that are either not enforced now or are "relaxed".

Copy, past and highlight in another color the rules any of you think could be relaxed and how you would go about doing it.
American Sand Association Bulletin Board Rules of Conduct

MISSION STATEMENT:
The purpose of this Bulletin Board System (or BBS) is to Unite, Inform and Mobilize the Sand Dune Community and to allow the free exchange of diverse ideas, positions, opinions and dialog.

The American Sand Association wishes to promote communication in an atmosphere of mutual respect and common courtesy. In an effort to maintain the integrity and family atmosphere of this bulletin board and to provide a comfortable level playing field that encourages all to participate, we ask that you please follow the rules of conduct when posting on this bulletin board. We remind all of our users that you are entirely responsible and liable for all your activities conducted on the ASA Bulletin Board. Any comments posted on the ASA Bulletin Board that violates our standards are routinely removed.

We reserve the right to close the accounts of persistent violators of these standards at any time and without warning.

*Profiles must include your full real name, city, state and a valid e-mail address. While screen names are used on this bulletin board, in order to maintain the integrity of the information posted on this bulletin board, input of your full real name, city, state and a valid e-mail address in your profile are mandatory. The methods used for verification of authenticity of this information are done on a random basis and may include, but are not limited to, private submission of a personal unblocked phone number of which a moderator or administrator can contact you directly, faxed copy of drivers license or ID or some other form of identification upon the request of a moderator or the administrator of this bulletin board. Failure to do so will result in termination of your account. No impersonation of public figures, trademarks, companies or other participants is permitted. One screen name or account per person. Individual exemptions may be given with written permission from the Bulletin Board Administrator to law enforcement personnel, government employees or to those deemed by the administrator to have a valid reason to remain anonymous.

*Profanity or obscenities are not permitted in any way shape or form, not even if disguised with symbols (i.e.: asterisks or dollar signs). Slanderous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, insulting, threatening and harassing comments are not tolerated.

*No Inappropriate, Unrelated Material
Any matter determined to be inappropriate, unrelated or not within the intended scope of this bulletin board will be removed without notification.

* Content:
Any post that disparages, denigrates, or degrades any person or organization will be deleted. Vague criticisms not based upon facts are not allowed. The rules of common courtesy and decency shall be applied at all times.

Any content deemed contrary to the mission and goals of the ASA will be deleted.

Disputes shall be pursued via private channels and not in public forums.

Forum moderators have to option to create private forums upon request but are not obligated or required to do so.

*Images, material or links to images and or material whether real, satirical or implied depicting obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, insulting, or threatening in nature are not permitted on this bulletin board. This includes Gifs or cartoons.

*No personal attacks or "flames" are allowed. Flames are defined as comments that reflect upon the person instead of their opinion. If you dislike someone, please do not call them names or speculate on their personal lives.

* Information Accuracy
Any information posted on this bulletin board must be accompanied by a reasonable attempt to verify accuracy along with identification of the source or a link to the source. If accuracy cannot be verified, it must be stated as such by the author.

* No Spam, Soliciting or Junk E-mail
Use of our message boards or chat rooms for the purpose of sending junk email, chain letters, duplicative or unsolicited messages or spamming of any kind is prohibited.

*No Unauthorized Advertising Allowed
Although we do allow the occasional heads up about something new, useful or interesting relating to our sport, no advertising of any kind, including non-profit organizations, is allowed without express written permission from the administrator of this bulletin board.

<<NOTE: The Teen Sand Forum was removed on Wed Jun 03, 2009, due to inactivity - LoBuck>>
*Teen Sand Forum

There is a clear need to get the younger crowd involved in the effort to save our dunes. That is what this forum is for. Kids your comments and opinions are welcome here, please take advantage of this Forum.

The Teen Sand Forum is restricted to those 13 thru 17 years old. There shall be no posting by legal adults 18 years of age or older.

Your age must be listed in your profile in order for you to use this forum. If it is not listed, or if it is found to be incorrect, your post will be deleted and you will be removed from the board without warning.

If you're over 17 years old, and you post in the Teen Sand Forum, your post will be deleted and you will be banned from the bulletin board without warning.

Moderators may post in the Teen Sand forum from time to time in accordance with their duties, or to answer questions brought up by users of that forum.

Should you or any parents have any questions please contact BBSAdmin@americansandassociation.org

*Photo Gallery
The gallery is provided for the enjoyment of our members and for displaying pictures on our Bulletin Board System and website only. By posting your photos here you give the ASA permission to use them throughout our website. Whenever possible, we will provide credit for the photo. We ask that you follow these rules and guidelines when posting:

* Pictures of riders must be wearing safety gear and cannot show irresponsible behavior
* No nudity or scanties
* No sexually suggestive material
* Pictures must not be copyrighted material
* No videos (too big)
* Photos may be deleted without warning
* Off-site links to the gallery are discouraged, excessive bandwidth use may result in all off-site links being removed.

Gallery users who violate these rules in any way will have their privilege to post pictures in the gallery revoked without warning.

*You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit without notice.

*Disagreements With Moderating Actions Shall Not Be Posted On BBS
Should you have any disagreement with an action taken by any of the moderators or the administrator of this BBS, or if you would like to bring a certain post or item to their attention, please contact them directly via private e-mail only to discuss the matter, available through their profile or here at BBSAdmin@americansandassociation.org. Any post's of this type on the open bulletin board will be removed.

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums are that of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster and hence will not be held liable.

Use of this bulletin board and your speech on this bulletin board is not a right. It is a privilege granted you by the American Sand Association under the terms of this agreement and can be revoked at any time without warning.

In accordance with the privilege of using this bulletin board granted you by the ASA, we request that you abide by the terms and conditions of our Rules of Conduct when using this bulletin board. We reserve the right to change the nature of this relationship at any time.

Users who violate the terms of our Rules of Conduct, or our Privacy Policy, will have their privilege of using of the American Sand Association Bulletin Board interrupted, suspended or terminated at any time without notice and your internet service provider will be informed of the violation. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions.

As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered, they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The email address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one).

The opinions and statements on this Bulletin Board System are not the official stance of the American Sand Association unless stated as such by an official representative of the ASA.

The ASA Bulletin Board is moderated by volunteers on a regular basis and we ask that you please respect their efforts.
'79 CJ5

aphantomduck
1st Gear Member

Post by aphantomduck »

I still visit here, but don't post.

I am a rather controversial person that prior management of the BOD and the forum chose to delete posts, and prevent me from logging in under another moniker. Some of the management found that my prior user name was an attempt to mislead. It never was.

I was brand new to forums and chose the name as a way to honor a long time friend and activist for motorized recreation.

This forum has been a bit too "starchy" for my taste. When one disagrees with the ASA line, posts get deleated or the "troops" get in line to attack that person.

Instead, I went on to glamisdunes.com. I was free to express my opinion and often have a challenging discourse with some of the more vocal in the dune community on the issue of the day. I enjoyed being a part of Glamis Dunes.com and the freedom to express one's view, no matter how controversial it may be.

But even now the Glamis Issues section has slowed to a crawl.

I'm of the opinion that the fire is gone from the belly of many in the dune community for the primary issue that united them in the first place. The CBD lawsuit and the resultant closures at the ISDRA.

Frankly, I had to do some hard thinking about even making this post. Its my first on this forum for many years.

This post is not intended to attack anyone or the org. The intent of this post is to share my perspective.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

aphantomduck wrote:I still visit here, but don't post.

I am a rather controversial person that prior management of the BOD and the forum chose to delete posts, and prevent me from logging in under another moniker. Some of the management found that my prior user name was an attempt to mislead. It never was.

I was brand new to forums and chose the name as a way to honor a long time friend and activist for motorized recreation.

This forum has been a bit too "starchy" for my taste. When one disagrees with the ASA line, posts get deleated or the "troops" get in line to attack that person.

Instead, I went on to glamisdunes.com. I was free to express my opinion and often have a challenging discourse with some of the more vocal in the dune community on the issue of the day. I enjoyed being a part of Glamis Dunes.com and the freedom to express one's view, no matter how controversial it may be.

I'm of the opinion that the fire is gone from the belly of many in the dune community for the primary issue that united them in the first place. The CBD lawsuit and the resultant closures at the ISDRA.

Frankly, I had to do some hard thinking about even making this post. Its my first on this forum for many years.

This post is not intended to attack anyone or the org. The intent of this post is to share my perspective.
And this post is right on target.

This web site has gone stale. Glamis Dunes .com has liberial moderators now too, so the California thing is running the show.................

So we should create a new web site called...............LETS MAKE A DEAL .COMMIE......DOT #-o
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

LoBuck wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:I'm not saying the way this board is moderated is bad; I'm just saying it's at least part of the reason why the board is dying out. Would I like to see it "relaxed" a bit, yes I would. Do I think that would bring some people back, yes I do.
This piqued my curiosity. Where would you, or anyone else, like to see it "relaxed" a bit'?

Listed below are the Bulletin Board Rules Of Conduct. I highlighted in RED the rules that are either not enforced now or are "relaxed".

Copy, past and highlight in another color the rules any of you think could be relaxed and how you would go about doing it.
American Sand Association Bulletin Board Rules of Conduct

MISSION STATEMENT:
The purpose of this Bulletin Board System (or BBS) is to Unite, Inform and Mobilize the Sand Dune Community and to allow the free exchange of diverse ideas, positions, opinions and dialog.

The American Sand Association wishes to promote communication in an atmosphere of mutual respect and common courtesy. In an effort to maintain the integrity and family atmosphere of this bulletin board and to provide a comfortable level playing field that encourages all to participate, we ask that you please follow the rules of conduct when posting on this bulletin board. We remind all of our users that you are entirely responsible and liable for all your activities conducted on the ASA Bulletin Board. Any comments posted on the ASA Bulletin Board that violates our standards are routinely removed.

We reserve the right to close the accounts of persistent violators of these standards at any time and without warning.

*Profiles must include your full real name, city, state and a valid e-mail address. While screen names are used on this bulletin board, in order to maintain the integrity of the information posted on this bulletin board, input of your full real name, city, state and a valid e-mail address in your profile are mandatory. The methods used for verification of authenticity of this information are done on a random basis and may include, but are not limited to, private submission of a personal unblocked phone number of which a moderator or administrator can contact you directly, faxed copy of drivers license or ID or some other form of identification upon the request of a moderator or the administrator of this bulletin board. Failure to do so will result in termination of your account. No impersonation of public figures, trademarks, companies or other participants is permitted. One screen name or account per person. Individual exemptions may be given with written permission from the Bulletin Board Administrator to law enforcement personnel, government employees or to those deemed by the administrator to have a valid reason to remain anonymous.

*Profanity or obscenities are not permitted in any way shape or form, not even if disguised with symbols (i.e.: asterisks or dollar signs). Slanderous, defamatory, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, insulting, threatening and harassing comments are not tolerated.

*No Inappropriate, Unrelated Material
Any matter determined to be inappropriate, unrelated or not within the intended scope of this bulletin board will be removed without notification.

* Content:
Any post that disparages, denigrates, or degrades any person or organization will be deleted. Vague criticisms not based upon facts are not allowed. The rules of common courtesy and decency shall be applied at all times.

Any content deemed contrary to the mission and goals of the ASA will be deleted.

Disputes shall be pursued via private channels and not in public forums.

Forum moderators have to option to create private forums upon request but are not obligated or required to do so.

*Images, material or links to images and or material whether real, satirical or implied depicting obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, insulting, or threatening in nature are not permitted on this bulletin board. This includes Gifs or cartoons.

*No personal attacks or "flames" are allowed. Flames are defined as comments that reflect upon the person instead of their opinion. If you dislike someone, please do not call them names or speculate on their personal lives.

* Information Accuracy
Any information posted on this bulletin board must be accompanied by a reasonable attempt to verify accuracy along with identification of the source or a link to the source. If accuracy cannot be verified, it must be stated as such by the author.

* No Spam, Soliciting or Junk E-mail
Use of our message boards or chat rooms for the purpose of sending junk email, chain letters, duplicative or unsolicited messages or spamming of any kind is prohibited.

*No Unauthorized Advertising Allowed
Although we do allow the occasional heads up about something new, useful or interesting relating to our sport, no advertising of any kind, including non-profit organizations, is allowed without express written permission from the administrator of this bulletin board.

<<NOTE: The Teen Sand Forum was removed on Wed Jun 03, 2009, due to inactivity - LoBuck>>
*Teen Sand Forum

There is a clear need to get the younger crowd involved in the effort to save our dunes. That is what this forum is for. Kids your comments and opinions are welcome here, please take advantage of this Forum.

The Teen Sand Forum is restricted to those 13 thru 17 years old. There shall be no posting by legal adults 18 years of age or older.

Your age must be listed in your profile in order for you to use this forum. If it is not listed, or if it is found to be incorrect, your post will be deleted and you will be removed from the board without warning.

If you're over 17 years old, and you post in the Teen Sand Forum, your post will be deleted and you will be banned from the bulletin board without warning.

Moderators may post in the Teen Sand forum from time to time in accordance with their duties, or to answer questions brought up by users of that forum.

Should you or any parents have any questions please contact BBSAdmin@americansandassociation.org

*Photo Gallery
The gallery is provided for the enjoyment of our members and for displaying pictures on our Bulletin Board System and website only. By posting your photos here you give the ASA permission to use them throughout our website. Whenever possible, we will provide credit for the photo. We ask that you follow these rules and guidelines when posting:

* Pictures of riders must be wearing safety gear and cannot show irresponsible behavior
* No nudity or scanties
* No sexually suggestive material
* Pictures must not be copyrighted material
* No videos (too big)
* Photos may be deleted without warning
* Off-site links to the gallery are discouraged, excessive bandwidth use may result in all off-site links being removed.

Gallery users who violate these rules in any way will have their privilege to post pictures in the gallery revoked without warning.

*You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit without notice.

*Disagreements With Moderating Actions Shall Not Be Posted On BBS
Should you have any disagreement with an action taken by any of the moderators or the administrator of this BBS, or if you would like to bring a certain post or item to their attention, please contact them directly via private e-mail only to discuss the matter, available through their profile or here at BBSAdmin@americansandassociation.org. Any post's of this type on the open bulletin board will be removed.

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums are that of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster and hence will not be held liable.

Use of this bulletin board and your speech on this bulletin board is not a right. It is a privilege granted you by the American Sand Association under the terms of this agreement and can be revoked at any time without warning.

In accordance with the privilege of using this bulletin board granted you by the ASA, we request that you abide by the terms and conditions of our Rules of Conduct when using this bulletin board. We reserve the right to change the nature of this relationship at any time.

Users who violate the terms of our Rules of Conduct, or our Privacy Policy, will have their privilege of using of the American Sand Association Bulletin Board interrupted, suspended or terminated at any time without notice and your internet service provider will be informed of the violation. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions.

As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered, they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The email address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one).

The opinions and statements on this Bulletin Board System are not the official stance of the American Sand Association unless stated as such by an official representative of the ASA.

The ASA Bulletin Board is moderated by volunteers on a regular basis and we ask that you please respect their efforts.

You left out your favorites/ personal / club section. Remember everyone, they decide, who will post. That is their call.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

My last post may be a bit abrasive. But that is my intent. We need this discussion.
a-12-year-old-with-out-a-cl.jpg
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

HSSC wrote:My last post may be a bit abrasive. But that is my intent. We need this discussion.
Not a problem with me... and I agree. We do need this discussion.

HSSC wrote:You left out your favorites/ personal / club section. Remember everyone, they decide, who will post. That is their call.
This one that is there and still in force? The one that some people think is 'overbearing' and some other people think is too 'relaxed'.
Bulletin Board Rules of Conduct wrote:*No personal attacks or "flames" are allowed. Flames are defined as comments that reflect upon the person instead of their opinion. If you dislike someone, please do not call them names or speculate on their personal lives.
Actually, this IS one of the rules that the Moderating Team does struggle with. At what point do the Mods decide if this is a case where these are adults that can defend themselves and should have the chance to counter something someone else said; or is it a case where something is flat out nasty and vicious that needs to be moderated? Sometimes its plain and simple one or the other. Other times it starts out as former and ends up the later.
'79 CJ5

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

aphantomduck wrote:I still visit here, but don't post.

Thanks for posting up!! Good to have you back, whoever you are 8)
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

I quit posting for lots of reasons.....

I haven't been to the dunes since Thanksgiving of 2009 and have no plans to return.

I quit my position as Coordinator for the SSSS. Don't have the time anymore.

My life has changed a great deal.

My motorhome has a semi-permanent resident. My brother had a cardiac arrest about 8 months ago. He had no job and very little $$$ in the bank and no insurance. He is now in my motorhome until further notice.

I sold my trailer. I'm trying to sell the quads.

Just don't want to do it anymore.

My wife and I have made the decision to leave California within the next 2 years. Nevada is out, no where there I want to live. Arizona is pretty much out as the weather is just too extreme for us. Oregon is out as their politics are mostly worse than California's. Washington, we have no desire to go there at all. New Mexico, maybe, if the crime isn't that bad. Looks like it's down to Utah or Texas with Utah in the lead.

The company I had worked for brought me in for a meeting back in May. Told me I had a job for the next 2 to 5 years. Then, in July, they brought us all in and told us end of September 2010 the company was closing it's doors for good. Well, that really threw a monkey wrench into my plans. I didn't even get a severance package after 18 years. Oh well......

I found a job quickly but it's a dead-end going-nowhere kinda thing and it's a 30% cut in pay. But hey, like everyone keeps telling me, at least I have a job. BFD.

It seemed to me the fight to regain the land lost at Glamis went away and it became a situation where it was "just holding on" to what we had in an attempt to not lose more. Then, with the election of the obamanation, I just knew there was no winning. Period. Only way to win, revolution and that isn't going to happen.

So, at my advanced age, and the not enough $$$ in the bank to retire here, I'm leaving as soon as possible. I'll get a Jeep and a few more firearms and go from there.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Wow Washer a lot of changes for sure. I wish the best for you, wife and brother. Check in with us every once and awhile to let us know how things are going for you.

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

gelwell wrote:Wow Washer a lot of changes for sure. I wish the best for you, wife and brother. Check in with us every once and awhile to let us know how things are going for you.
X2
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Washroad, that is a very personal post. I wish the best for your family. I think if we were sitting around a camp fire we would have alot of things to clink our respective GLASS CONTAINERS ABOUT.................

Don't give up on Northern Nevada. It is one of the greatest places on the planet to live. If you are healthy and are willing to work there just might be a place for you here. But, I can't blame you for looking at Utah, they ant looking for NO FED bailout #-o
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

A-happy-point.jpg
Wide-open-Nevada.jpg
This is why I'm here.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Working-our-way-down.jpg
Mister-top-hat.jpg
We found this place on our Quads.............

These pics are only the tip of the ice.......burg...................

So really, where is everyone?

Is our sport, dead.................. :shock:

[-o< NOT
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

crash

Post by crash »

I think you all know why I'm gone.

And for the record, I was one of the lone few, well maybe one, that was absolutely against the banning of Blue Sky. He came on here, fired all of us up, gave us something to talk about, and occasionally tipped his hand to what was coming down the pike.

IMHO, banning him was a mistake.

As has been said by others, the other REALLY BIG mistake was that no one seemed to have a back bone about THE ISSUES. Sure everyone would ***** and moan about what was being done to us and how we were getting anally fornicated, but everybody left the room when someone actually suggested something like legal action.

I got REALLY tired of the gutlessness of the forum members and, as I said when I left, there were/are bigger battles to fight than for a pile of sand.

We are seeing some fundamental changes in our governments structure, and unless we go fight THAT fight, the fight for the dunes will be pointless.

Again, I just felt I could better spend my time, money, and efforts elsewhere.

Adios Amigos! ;)

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider »

I'm still here and read the forum several times a month. I still do some volunteer work for the ASA, especially at the Sand Sport Show. I still go to the dunes and I also have a 4X4 quad and a Jeep Rubicon. I try to split my off roading time between them.

There hasn't been much to post about until an issue pops up. It doesn't seem like there is much going on right now with the ASA for the issues. I bet the economy has affected the ASA as well all of us. Its hard to continue mounting legal challenges with out the funds.

The best thing we can do is to stay involved and encourage fellow duners to join the ASA. I know the ASA BODs are still passionate about the dunes and are doing their best to keep our duning experience intact.

Hopefully the new RAMP hanges will be reasonable and we will have something to discuss.

I noticed that other web sites have slowed down a lot as well.....
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

Mudkattgowfo
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Mudkattgowfo »

Still Lurking now and then..........Need more pictures.......

Return to “Wide Open Sand”