Cinder Hills OHV Flagstaff, AZ

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

honda davidson
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Cinder Hills OHV Flagstaff, AZ

Post by honda davidson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:15 pm

The Forest Service has closed part of the Cinders... We need your Help! Here is a letter I sent to Senator Mccain......................
Dear Senator Mccain, January 18, 2011

My name is Joan Seff and I live in the neighborhood of Fernwood in Flagstaff, AZ. We were impacted by the Schultz Fire and the flooding that followed last summer. Our neighborhood was flooded primarily because of a water retention basin owned by the Forest service that was poorly maintained. Not to mention the County has not maintained our flood control ditches in 30 years! The basin failed and water was pouring onto our streets. Neighbors called to report this but it wasn’t until a neighbor called 911 did anyone respond. Since then the basin has been pumped and the Forest service has no intention of any maintained on it. The Forest Service also dug 2 big ditches to help divert water, one which washed out Forest Service road 776 off Highway 89 and one off Copeland that runs out to Cinder Lake. If you are familiar with the area Cinder Hills is an Off Highway Recreational Area. Since the closer of Forest service road 776 to access the area you must go 2 miles north to Sunset Crater National Park and go another 15 miles on a dirt road that has not been properly maintained. The road has felt showing which should be covered with 4 inches of material. They also closed our neighborhood access form Sunset Blvd. This closure includes vehicles, horses, bikes and pedestrians. On November 12, 2010 we invited Forest Supervisor Earl Stewart and Mike Chavez to meet with us and representatives from Summit Fire, Guardian Ambulance and Theresa from the Board of Supervisors office. One of our concerns was response times of the medical personal to an accident at the Cinders. Earl Stewart told them they could use Sunset Blvd in an emergency but first they will have to remove the barricades and boulders that block the exit. Earl also said he was concerned about the ditch that extended out into Cinder Lake. Earl didn’t know about the Big Craters that NASA blew in Cinder Lake to drive the Moon Car in, the craters are still there. We suggested moving boulders around the ditch. During the meeting I interrupted Earl one time and he said, “If you continue to interrupt me this meeting is over.” Earl was so unprofessional even the Fire Department remarked. I spoke with Mike Chavez today and asked him for an update, he said the closure has been extended until next December 31, 2011 because they were concerned for public safety and that they were waiting on funding to fix Forest Service road 776 that would maybe be in the spring or summer. That, I don’t understand, they have the equipment, manpower and lots of dirt they dug from the ditch. I told him if they were that concerned why the signs still said closure in effect until December 31, 2010, Expired 18 days! We the residents have suffered enough and want to be able to access our Forest. Our taxes have gone up 18%; we pay $25.00 for OHV stickers. Senator Mccain I invite you to come out and take a look. Why should one man, Earl Stewart decide that we the public can’t use our natural resources. Please call me, my family and I would love to show you what is going on up here!
Thank You,
Joan Seff

Cc Tom Vilsack Sec of Agriculture, Harris Sherman Undersecretary for Natural Resources, Tom Tidwell Chief of Forest Service, Corbin Newman Regional Office, Earl Stewart Forest Supervisor,Chief Don Howard Summit Fire, Mark Venuti Directer Guardian Ambulance, Cyndy Cole Az Daily Sun

RobC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Cinder Hills OHV Flagstaff, AZ

Post by RobC » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 am

Please keep us updated on what happens. I'm surprised they haven't fixed the road yet. We love going up there in the summer months.
Save the Dunes!!
Rob's Dune Site
My Pics

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by HSSC » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:42 pm

This has a bad smell to it. I watched a show on tv that was talking about the crater and the camera panned towards the offroad area and made some kind of remarks about it being an open offroad area................

You know, we offroaders are scum to the liberal left/Sierra Club/tree hugger/wild horse/Democrat/yadda yadda yadda, crowd....... :shock:

I suspect these true Americans would like to see one of their favorite signs. Closed.

AZ is a steadfast Republican strong hold. If Cinders was in the lovely state of California, with us outlaw/rightwing wackjobs running around on our heathen offroad machines.................

The closure signs would be in abundance.

Go Abama. Go Abama. Go democrats. Go............Danny Patty-boy.........

Democrats would be proud....................... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I forgot, its Oduma, please for give me, won't you................................ #-o

The letter Oshound go some place here :-k
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

honda davidson
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by honda davidson » Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:30 pm

They don't plan on fixing the road anytime soon! Thats why we need your help........... Contact Earl Stewart and tell him that you want to come use our public Forest! Please everyone squeaky wheel gets the road fixed and Forest open! =D>

ddmcdo
1st Gear Member

Post by ddmcdo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:17 pm

may we have phone, address & e-mail contact for him. If I do a Google search on "Earl Stewart" - the first few pages are about some import car dealer in FL - I doubt it's the same guy. Can't wait till it thaws out a bit more - & can then sneak up the backside of 100 dollar hill.......

honda davidson
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by honda davidson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Earl Stewart 928-527-3505 estewart@fs.fsd.us His boss is Corbin Newman 505-842-3300 cnewman@fs.fed.us

Thanks. the weather is Beautiful up here now!

RobC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RobC » Sat May 07, 2011 9:34 am

Does anyone know if the forest road has been fixed yet?
Save the Dunes!!
Rob's Dune Site
My Pics

Jerry Seaver
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Jerry Seaver » Sun May 08, 2011 6:46 am

http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... 44&t=26809

The information below comes from the Cinder Hills Rough Riders,

"Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that the 776 road is opening this Sunday May 1st. yippee. Kat&Larry"

Return to “Wide Open Sand”