Introduction

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Short Bus
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Introduction

Post by Short Bus » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:11 pm

I’ve been lurking here for a while and thought I might introduce myself.

I got into duning back in the early 80’s as a young teenager and then spent several years enjoying Glamis, Dumont and Pismo. Then in my late teens my life turned a different direction and so did my hobbies till last year when I was reintroduced to the Glamis life style. I have now made a few trips out and I’m telling you that I am back I had really forgotten how much fun I had going to Glamis. One of the things I really remember about going out there as a teenager were the rules of Glamis… That bring that there were no rules... What in the world has happened (I have been doing a lot of reading and I do know but ****).

One of the threads on this site really had me thinking a lot about my involvement in my activities. Usually when I do something I am an all in type of person and I find myself in a very difficult position as I really wish I had the means to be able to become an active member here with the ASA but right now I am barely able to make a few trips out to the dunes and I scratch my pennies together to do that and if I break anything I’ll be out for a while.

Anyway thank you for what you are doing and keep up the good fight.

Brian Johnson

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Introduction

Post by Sandcock » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:42 am

Welcome to the aSa bbs Short Bus :wink: aSa does a lot of good in regards to off-roading in the Algodones and should be commended =D> There are many hot topics as of late, e.g. the RAMP and AB 1595 (new laws for UTV's), that aSa has taken a stand for. I encourage you to participate here on the bbs or turn to aSa's facebook page to keep informed and join in the other conversation.

In regards to outings to Glamis, the economy and fuel prices have taken their toll on me as well. However, I will still find a way to make it out there. I like to go out early ahead of the group to spend a day or two by myself and with my dogs enjoying the vast scenery, and the solitude sunrises and sunsets. Then when the group gets there, enjoying the company of my family and friends, prepping food and breaking bread together, the camp fire, the best riding experiences in the world and a cold one after the ride 8)

In regards to the laws and regulations, in my opinion, some are needed because some people will always be irresponsible, unaccountable and disrespectful. However, I do not like them and believe that they impinge on freedoms. Its the sign of the times and change is inevitable. Unfortunately, because of the few, we have them and its our choice on how we will go about to receive them.

I can honestly say that I have had nothing but good experiences with the LEO's out at Glamis. I know that isn't the opinion of many, but for me it is what it is. One time me and my buddy were caught red handed with a bottle of beer in our hand by a LEO. After a pleasant conversation and as he was leaving, he turned around and asked if we knew that it was illegal to have glass containers. We acknowledged that we did. He asked asked us to pour the beer into plastic cups and went about his business. It may have has something to do with us being older, I don't know. Or just the fact that we were respectful, I don't know.

I think if you educate yourself on the rules and regulations, are alert of your surroundings (LEO presence), make wise choices, accept responsibility for your choices, and respectful to everyone then you are less likely to have negative experiences out there. :wink:

I encourage you to continue recreate out there, grow closer in your relationships, make new friends, make for good memories and enjoy life :wink:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Booga-dune-poon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:11 pm

Welcome home Short Bus!

Do to economics, we are all forced to become more efficient during our visits. I think if we slow down to notice things, it'll make the memories that much stronger. Stop and smell the roses or castrol or camp fire smoke or... you get the idea. Don't take the sunrises or sunsets for granted. Feel the love that we all share in the experiences that make sand duning such a great family activity.

I call all of the above, "smiles per gallon". Yes, quality over quantity can make up the difference for fewer trips. Make those trips count.

Find a special moment, pause, close your eyes and look really deep inside. Like all of us duners, that voice inside your head screams YES to question: Was it worth it?

Y'all come back now. Y'ah hear?
Kevin

Short Bus
1st Gear Member

Post by Short Bus » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:26 pm

Thank you for words of encouragement. It is my life goal to create great memories and cherish them.

Booga ~ I really like your phrase “smiles per gallon” I am going to have to steal that from you and add it to my vocabulary \:D/

Sandcock ~ I too have had some non issues moments with the LEO’s. My last trip out I had forgotten to put my season pass in the window of my tow vehicle luckily I was on my back from a ride as the LEO’s were storming the camp :shock: . At first the officer was really visibly upset :evil: that I had not put the pass in the window and then continued to tell me that when you buy these things they tell you about putting them in a visible location [-X I agreed with him and explained that I was so excited to be here and that I totally forgot to put it up #-o . He continued with the bad cop attitude for a few more moments and let me off with a warning =D> . This could have gone entirely the wrong way and I think that part of the reason for giving me the warning was because I was not rude and was able to provide the pass the instant I opened my truck :D .

Return to “Wide Open Sand”