CA DMV registration

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

SDune1
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

CA DMV registration

Post by SDune1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:09 pm

Looking for advice.
I'm trying to register my buggy with CA DMV.
Buggy was given to me by a family member from Idaho. Problem is the buggy didn't need registration or sticker when he moved there and he didn't drive it. However, a few years ago Idaho required registration/stickers. Since he didn't use it he never processed.
Now I'm faced with trying to register in CA. All I have is a bill of sale and DMV is saying I need an inspection and a title which I don't have.
Anybody run into this situation. Any advice?

Thanks

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: CA DMV registration

Post by HSSC » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Leave.......

I did 35 years ago.......

Great state......

Then the libs took over......

I'm sure you can fix it with $$$$$......

Kali is cash starved......

Good luck...... :shock:
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: CA DMV registration

Post by Booga-dune-poon » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:17 pm

I built my sandrail and registered it as "special construction". Other than filling out the forms, I had to visit the CHP office and get an inspection where they assigned a VIN and rivited it to the frame.

Your bill of sale could be your "proof of ownership" for the major components parts (engine, transmission, etc). You don't have anything to hide and want to be leagle and up front. I don't think it will be that big of a deal. I've also done this with home built trailers. Even a 1941 Willys 1/4 ton military trailer that did not have a VIN. Showed the DMV guy the factory name plate that was riveted to the trailer. The guy said it did not matter, I needed a VIN. Asked him what to do? We ended up licencing it as home built. Yep, now I've got genuine new VIN riveted next to the Willys name plate. Go figure.

From the California DMV website:

Documents needed to register an OHV that has never been registered in California

If you purchase a new or used OHV from a California licensed dealer, the dealer will collect the fees due from you and provide the department with these fees and documents to transfer or register the OHV for you.

If you purchased an OHV that has never been registered in California from anyone other than a California dealer, you will need:
• An Application for Title or Registration (REG 343) (PDF).
• A vehicle verification by an authorized DMV employee or law enforcement officer, vehicle verifier, or authorized auto club employee.
Evidence of ownership, which may be: ◦ The Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin endorsed to the nonlicensed dealer and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you.

or
◦ An original or certified copy of the factory invoice to the nonlicensed dealer and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you.

or
Out-of-state titling documents and any bills of sale needed to establish a complete chain of ownership to you.

•Off highway vehicle fees and use tax, if due

or

Registration requirements for a specially constructed OHV

NOTE: An OHV built by a licensed manufacturer cannot be registered as a specially constructed vehicle, regardless of after-market modifications or added components.

To register an OHV that was specially constructed, you will need:
•Application for Title or Registration/Verification of Vehicle (REG 343) (PDF).
• A vehicle verification done by the California Highway Patrol (CHP). You must start your application process with the DMV prior to contacting the CHP for vehicle verification.
•Statement of Construction (REG 5036) (PDF).
• Proof of ownership, such as invoices, receipts, manufacturer’s certificates of origin, bills of sale, or junk receipts for the major component parts (engine, frame, transmission, and body).

NOTE: A motor vehicle bond is required for the total value of the vehicle when proof of ownership cannot be obtained for parts valued at $5,000 or more.

•Off Highway Vehicle fees and use tax, if due.
• Visit your local DMV office to begin the application process; make an Appointment(s) for faster service.
Kevin

Return to “Wide Open Sand”