Need Help School Project

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

migit13cts
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Need Help School Project

Post by migit13cts » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Hi my name is Connor and I was wondering if anyone could help me with a school project me and my machine shop friends were thinking about building a sand rail. We were thinking about using a 87 5.0 mustang engine. If anyone could give me tips and plans for a 4 seater sand rail it would be a big help. Thanks for your time.

Booga-dune-poon
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Re: Need Help School Project

Post by Booga-dune-poon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Connor,

Welcome to the ASA Forums. To transfer the horsepower from a 5.0L V8 you'll first need to consider what type of transmission is within your budget. But first, why a V8 engine?

The cost for the transaxel with the specs to carry that kind of horsepower exceeds the less expensive VW types. This is a major consideration for your budget. A good used V8 for a project like this might cost $500. A transaxel to go with it might exceed $3000. Then comes the suspension to carry that kind of weight. The heavier the car, the more expensive the suspension will need to be.

I would suggest you consider a 4 cylinder engine like an Ecotech or Subaru. You could use a VW 091 transaxel and the suspension costs would be much less.

But before we get all excited about a build project we need to set some goals. The first goal should be, don't start spending money on a project that you don't have the time and can't afford to finish. I know this all too well from personal experience. I lost a lot of money on my first failed attempt. Be realistic with your estimates, then double the cost just to be safe. If you still think you can afford to proceed, write back and we'll break this down to an action plan.

By the way, here is my current car that I built. Not nearly the cool factor as a V8. Yeah it's only a VW, but I get around just fine.
http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... 13&t=26717
Kevin

migit13cts
1st Gear Member

Post by migit13cts » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 am

The reason why we were thinking a v8 is because I have one that Im not using. Also I work at a Tool and Die shop and my boss said any steel we will need he could order and get for free. I was trying to figure out what other parts I would need and about how much it would cost

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 am

migit13cts wrote:The reason why we were thinking a v8 is because I have one that Im not using. Also I work at a Tool and Die shop and my boss said any steel we will need he could order and get for free. I was trying to figure out what other parts I would need and about how much it would cost
I'm no expert by any stretch, but if it were me, I'd go look at a buggy that most resembles the desired end result. Take a camera and a pad and pencil. Take note of every nut, bolt, gas pedal, steering wheel, steering wheel linkage, seat, seat mount, trailing arms, bearings, heim joints ... you get the idea. Make a list. You can start shopping on the 'net for used parts. Some you won't be able to find used. Add it all up and, yes, double it - at least.

You still need a frame. You can't just throw one together thinking it will work - there's a lot of engineering (math, trial and error, etc) that goes into one. That's why most guys buy a frame and build a buggy from there.

I agree with Booga-dune-poon's reservations about the V8 - that's a lot of weight to consider and now you're into a high end transaxle = $$$$. If you want to go fast, you need power. You'll have to build around that - everything must be stronger. If you just want to dune, you can do it on less HP and therefore less $$$. There's plenty of light-weight engines that will produce 250-300 HP without many mods. you can stay with a cheaper trans and a lighter weight suspension with them.

This gets back to setting goals and desired performance. You best answer those questions before designing anything. The type of steel your (fantastic) boss buys you depends on it.

Please keep us posted.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Wide Open Sand”