Separated and Lost

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Separated and Lost

Post by Sandcock » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:12 pm

So last weekend we were out at Ocotillo Wells camping off of Commune Rd. We (guys) went out on a fast (69.3 mph at top speed) two hour ride in the late afternoon, e.g. Cahuilla Trail to Artesian Well, to Gas Dome, down Pole Line to Tule Wash, down Tule Wash to Pumpkin Patch, down the backside trail of Pumpkin Patch to Crossover Trail to Shell Reef, through the hills over to Gas Dome Rd. to Cahuilla Trail where we see the gals driving toward us. Sick feeling that something is wrong. Well, we stop to find out what it is and we find out that a 8th grade girl is lost. It is my understanding that the group camping across the road from us were out riding and came back to camp and apparently she must have fallen behind and got disoriented and rode past the camp. We started searching the area looking for her as did the Rangers, a helicopter and a rescue team. About for hours later and after dark had set in they found her on Hwy 78. That is a good thing. The whole incident made me think about what had happened. I generally lead when riding and I always take the time to check to ensure everyone that started out on the ride is there whether it be dune riding or hard desert riding. It is never a good idea to assume that you can go b%$$^ to the wall and everyone will be good to go. Don't expect the last rider to be keeping up as many things go on back there to slow them down. Just a reminder, let everyone know that's going on the ride that whoever goes out in the group comes back in the group, e.g. no one left behind.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Sandcock

Re: Separated and Lost

Post by Sandcock » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:58 am

The post should probably be in the Safety forum, but I thought it would get more traction here.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 am

Sandcock wrote:The post should probably be in the Safety forum, but I thought it would get more traction here.
I think it's fine right here...
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:13 pm

It all goes to show leading is a learned profession and is a talent in and above itself, especially in the dunes. In the dunes the leader should be picking lines so the rest will a) have a safe ride b) keep everyone together c) have a fun worthwhile ride. If you are going on night rides stopping often to make sure everyone is together is essential. The time to get lost in the dunes is at night. Typically our group hangs it up at night and the party begins. Just too many problems associated with night rides and it is very difficult for a leader to find good safe lines in the dark. So as a chosen practice we just don't do it.

In hard pack riding the leader and subsequent group behind him should ALWAYS stop and wait for the last person to show at a turn or different trail other than going straight. This keeps everyone knowing where the ride is going and will keep everyone in communication in the line and avoid someone missing the turn/trail. This is a cardinal rule for leading in the hard pack.

Had this been in hot weather who knows what kind of tragedy this could have been. Bikes tend to break more often in the hot weather. Or if this girl came off her bike and got hurt would have been devastating.

The upside is good leading is happening since people being lost fortunately doesn't happen that often. Have fun be safe.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

sandman829
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by sandman829 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:49 pm

When ever I lead I make a turn at , or close to, the top of the dune just to make sure every one is still there. On the flats I will zig zag and on trails we stop every once in a while just to make sure every one is there. We also have a rule that if some thing happens you try to yell out, usually does not work, and you stay put.
Keep the rubber side down.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Thumbs up Gene :wink: We were out last New Years. I went out on a short spin by myself and encountered a group of quad riders while running a bowl. I detoured around them doing s few more bowls. As I popped out I could see a young rider from that group stopped on top of a small dune with his group out of site. I rolled up to him and had him stay put until we could see the group or until they realized that he was not with them. About five minutes went by before they back tracked to get him.

gelwell

Post by gelwell » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Scotty good job hanging with the youngster. =D> That was good training for him to get to a high spot to be seen and wait. I'm sure that you being there gave him a little less anxiety about being lost.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Return to “Wide Open Sand”