So Are Things Really About To Come To a Head?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Mean Green
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

So Are Things Really About To Come To a Head?

Post by Mean Green » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm sure this should be posted somewhere else but I figured it would get more traction here. Anyways, I just received my email from the ASA BOD’s regarding the BLM releasing the new ISDRA Fee Plan and also soon to be released RAMP (heard that quite a few times over the last 13 years) and the soon to be battle with the environmental whack-jobs that will take place in court. So the ASA needs our money and needs it now to prepare for battle. I am here to say; that I have not given up on this fight and I will donate every possible penny I can to support the ASA in this battle. I really hope the ASA receives the support it needs during this time. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help. Thank you for what you do and continue to do!

nixsternik
ASA Executive Director
ASA Executive Director

Re: So Are Things Really About To Come To a Head?

Post by nixsternik » Fri May 17, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks for your support!
Nicole Nicholas Gilles
Executive Director
American Sand Association

accountrx12
1st Gear Member

Post by accountrx12 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:26 pm

Mean Green wrote:I'm sure this should be posted somewhere else but I figured it would get more traction here. Anyways, I just received my email from the ASA BOD’s regarding the BLM releasing the new ISDRA Fee Plan and also soon to be released RAMP (heard that quite a few times over the last 13 years) and the soon to be battle with the environmental whack-jobs that will take place in court. So the ASA needs our money and needs it now to prepare for battle. I am here to say; that I have not given up on this fight and I will donate every possible penny I can to support the ASA in this battle. I really hope the ASA receives the support it needs during this time. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help. Thank you for what you do and continue to do!
Thanks for your support and help! This was posted quite awhile ago, do you have updates for us since then? Thanks!

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:31 pm

From the ASA September newsletter:
The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD), which had originally filed the lawsuit that resulted in the current closures at Glamis, has exercised its right under the prior court order to challenge the new ISDRA Recreation Area Management Plan (RAMP). The Center for Biological Diversity (CBD) indicated that it was planning to ask the judge to keep the existing dune closures in place (or close additional areas) while the release of the new RAMP is being litigated. To avoid potential additional closures and to save time and money, the U.S. Attorney (counsel for the BLM) and the counsel for the CBD agreed that the current closures remain in place in exchange for an accelerated briefing and hearing schedule.

With this agreement, the new RAMP will be put on hold and there will be no changes in the current closures; however there will be an accelerated briefing schedule.
From the March 2013 ASA Email update:
ISDRA RAMP UPDATE: Still in Holding Pattern

The status of the ISDRA Recreation Area Management Plan remains unchanged. We are waiting for briefs to be filed by the parties to the lawsuit and the Court to consider those briefs. The process may have been delayed by the government sequestration, but the courts now seem to be back on track. Thus we hope the court will begin considering the briefs by late December or early January. Due to the accelerated schedule agreed to by the involved parties, the Court is expected to announce it's decision in April of 2014.

Several years ago, the Court issued explicit instructions to the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and the Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) on how to meet all pertinent regulations on this matter, and the BLM and FWS have met those requirements. Since the latest RAMP meets the regulatory requirements and is based on science, we have a positive expectation that the Court will allow the RAMP to be implemented as written. It is also important that the remaining RAMP closures will be limited to FWS designated Critical Habitat which has been tested by a court decision.

In the meantime, the closures remain in place and we ask that you please continue to stay out of these areas.
You can sign up for ASA email updates HERE.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Wide Open Sand”