Another true story, from a former duner

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sand_Dude4X105
1st Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Another true story, from a former duner

Post by Sand_Dude4X105 »

So, it’s a few years ago…Early December Dune Trip, we decide to camp out in the Washes, maybe around W-15 or so…
It was a no wind sunny morn when Frank cruised into our camp…
I had met Frank a few times before, he worked with my X wife, whom was still my wife at the time…
Frank was a low keyed guy, drove a nice older JSC Invader, with a 2180 VW powered, dual Webbers…
“Hey Sand, how’s it goin?” He asks me as he unbuckles his five point harness…
“Ok Frank, I be try’n to get motivated for a cruise over to China Wall, you want to follow us over?”
“Sure… where’s Candi, and Laura?”
I point in the direction of my motor home…
My MH had a curb side window where you could sit in the dinette, and see what was going on in camp…
Laura see’s me point at her, so she waves her crazy [girly] wave at Frank…
Candi and Laura along with Neal, [Candi’s BF] are already doing shots and it ain’t even lunch time yet…
Candi, Laura, Neal, and Frank, all work at the same manufacturing plant in OC, they make Rubidium powered time clocks… Rubidium is only found here on earth, where a meteor has hit the earth, a mined element, that is very rare… I digress…
Next thing ya know Frank is joining the others with a shot of To-kill-ya or as some call it Tequila …
I don’t drink… so the thought of going on a little dune ride with four drunken fools is starting to bother me, but hey, whom am I to stop someone from having a good time, I am more of a Libertarian, so, to each his own, if they can hang, so be it… It won’t be the first time Glamis has had drunken idiots around…
“Is any one ever going to go for a ride” I yell to no one in particular… I like to yell, so whatever… I’ll go gas up the rails, and help Neal get ready on my quad…
It is going to be an easy cruise over to China Wall, Neal’s new to the sport, and I do not know Franks abilities…

The ride starts, with me leading by myself, Laura and Candi next in her rail, and Neal and Frank to follow…
I start my engine, and let her warm up… I love the first ride after a wind storm, we are going to make fresh tracks…
I idle out of camp, and Candi ridding shotgun with Laura, gives me the thumbs up sign…
So we are about 200-250 yards from camp, and I see no Frank, in my mirror, as I am scanning the rolling wash terrain behind me…
I see that one of my paddles is throwing up a little more sand than the other, I yell over to Candi, “Is my paddle throwing sand…”
Laura slams on her brakes and stops… I circle back, a quick turn around, and park right next to Candi’s side… “What did you say?” I yell it again, and this time Neal’s quad makes too much noise and they still can’t hear me, as Neil pulls up and… Neal kills the quad, and I ask quietly: “Is my paddle on the drivers side throwing…”
Closer and closer a VW 2180 comes and just then, Frank, comes storming into my mirror view, and BLAM!!!!! He hit’s the back of the Neal’s quad [my quad, which I am loaning Neal].. Neal’s leg is pinned between the peg, and the flattened and smashed rear right paddle… SH1+! F$%#&!! Neal is hurt… He limps off the bike…
Frank says he couldn’t stop… Right…. I’m waving my arms, looking at the damage…
One quad down, at least I have a spare back in camp…. The girls start bickering with Frank..
“Hey Neal, can you ride that broke mess, or is your foot too bad?”
Frank says hell be fine, I want to get him back to camp, and get his boot off…
I leave the drunkers laughing, yelling, talking… Franks rail wouldn’t start, and Candi hops in, to start it, and she can’t even drive a stick…
Neal’s quad wont start, so I hook up tow rope to get Neal back to camp…
“Going back to camp, girls, meet you back there…” I yell as we drive off…
Mean while, I air up my low paddle tire yep, drivers side had 8 lbs of air, and passenger side had 10 lb… So my roost was a tad more on my drivers side….
I see here comes Laura and Candi, towing Frank… All I hear is Laura, I can’t make out what she is saying…
“I can’t stop, I got no brakes” Finally I hear Laura yelling as they enter through our caution tape cone gate to camp…
I see Laura’s buggie, the tow strap is around her axle, of her swing axle, on one side.
She’s laughing, Candi’s laughing… it’s a gloriously funny time, and within 45 minutes of Frank being near, he has disabled two of my toys…His tow rope, which he hooked up back at the accident site, to Laura’s rail, has snapped off the aluminum 90 brake line fitting, which broke off in the caliper. Anyone have an EZ-OUT?
I figure my BP is way to high now to enjoy myself on this ride, so, I grab some tools and see if I can fix her…and maybe someone else getting to camp later will have an EZ-out…
I tell Laura, look babe, Franks just wrecked us… Before I can finish, Laura jumps up, and says: “Why do ya have to be a Debbie downer, we’re at Glamis” Then she let off a shreik and a fist pump...… Frank gets his rail going and leaves camp slowly…

I fix Laura’s rail, and Candi and her spend most of their time cruising Vendors Row…
The rest of the weekend goes off without a hitch, we have a really fun time, [the next day anyway] and the weekends over, and we are on the long drive home…
“Laura, listen to me, when you see Frank at work on Monday, tell him you expect him to pay for a new set of paddles, and rims, and I’ll not worry about the bent axle…”
I tell her again, every time, I look over at her in the passenger seat of my MH, as she nods off, I say: “Don’t forget to tell Frank…don’t forget…”

It’s Monday…
I have an easy day of work, so I call up Laura, and ask: “Did you talk to Frank yet?”
In a whisper she says back to me: “I can’t talk right now, Frank had a worse time after he left our camp, I’ll tell you all when I get home…” Click… Wow… What could of possibly been worse that smashing into a parked quad sitting on top of a dune, in plain site, hurting your co worker etc… sure, Frank had a worse time…I smell BS…
Now Franks not dead, so hummmm, what could have gone worse… I’ll guess I’ll have to wait for a couple more hours for Laura to get home…

I meet Laura in the driveway like a puppy dog… “What happened-what happened next to Frank” as I kinda snicker…
“Well, he made it back to camp, over at Pad 4, which is a straight across the Dune System at Glamis from where we were camped. He sat around camp waiting for his sons to get there… Around 4:30 -5 pm he decides he has time to cruise down to the Drags near the Ranger Station…”
From Pad 4 to Drags, is a straight shot, you could probably walk there with your eyes closed. Too bad Frank didn’t do that…
“It seems that Frank got turned around, and when he was duning, the small dunes near Pad 4, he started driving south…”
“Then what then what” I ask with baited breath…
“Well, he then runs out of gas”
“What?” I start laughing... ****, bad luck follows this guy...
“Yes, he runs out of gas and it's night fall. So he has left his glasses in camp, but everything is just a little blurry… He looks in the distance and sees some lights, so he walks towards them”
“Go on… faster”
“Well, he goes up a little burm, and he sees what he thinks is Roadrunner Campground. He steps towards the lights, and he falls head first into the Canal!”
“What, Oh NO!” I cant believe what I am hearing…
“What he has seen are the lights of Holtville in the distance… now, he is semi floating/with heavy coat, he is sinking, and all of a sudden, sober as hell. Down the canal he floats. He has never been in the canal before, and he can swim, however he has no idea, about the ladders to get out, until he has floated past a few ladders”
“I inject the ladders are ¼ mile apart, so he has floated at least a ½ a mile or more at the 5 miles an hour the canal floats on by” what next, I wonder…
“Anyway, he get’s out of canal, and figures out where he has camped, and walks over. Well his sons are there, and are worried, and want to help. So they hop on their quads and fan out looking… Sons girlfriend, who is a novice rider, has never ridden in the dark. So they are looking, time goes by, they can not find his rail. As they turn to go back, Son’s GF hit’s a little pucker bush and flips off her quad, and rips the flesh off her leg, in a peg gouge…”
“OH no, holy sheiot, now what?”
“Well they go take off for Brawley Hospital, and get her fixed. They figure they will find the rail in morning”
“Do they? Do They? What happens next, Tidal wave on the canal? Earth quake centered on Pad 4?”
“They decide to try and find rail in morning”
“Wow, that’s probably the best decision they have made yet!”
“Now, the next morn, they all get up early, and again fan out from camp, Frank says he was on way to the Drags, so, from Pad 4 they look over every hill and valley, and dune between Gecko Camp to Roadrunner…. Finally, Frank says enough, he decides to go to the Brawley airport, and see if someone will give him a fly over the dunes”
“What, really, A Flight over the dunes? Cool…”
“Yes, he finds a flyer who will give him a flyover for $40.00 cash per hour…”
“Seriously”
“Yes, and they find the rail, about 2 ½ miles south of Roadrunner Campground. Frank had gotten turned around, and was way off course”
“Oh My Gawd wow…did ya tell him to forget about paying for the broken wheel and paddle?”
“No, however, he has given all his dune stuff to his sons, even his Mini MH. And…. He swears, he will never drink again”

I never ran into Frank again after that day, probably for the best…
Candi and Neal, broke up in a few months…
I met Franks son Frank Jr. on a job site, and he collaborated the story…
He told me: “I guess when you see Gawd, you change your life…”
I guess so… Yes, Laura and her mid morning shots and I have split up. I just wasn’t up for that fun anymore…
There is no lesson to be learned here, sometimes, you just think about the past…
Hear I sit 2700 miles from Glamis, wondering, if I’ll ever get there again…
I hope so…Most trips were better than this… so how come, you remember the one that’s so weird…

Have a good one, thanks for reading !

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Another true story, from a former duner

Post by gelwell »

Quite the novel but a fun read. I have seen those kinds of things happening in the dunes unfortunately too much. It all goes to show that you should dune first party and park later. Rescue rides end up for the rescurers more often than not. I love the December canal plunge part had to been nice and chilly
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Another true story, from a former duner

Post by HSSC »

Yep, had a guy, about my age, twenty years ago, tell me Sand Mountain Nevada was on the other side of HWY 50...... We were sittin around the camp fire and I had no idea who he was......and I still don't care....... :^o

Sometimes you have to just let things go. EZ'er now then, then....... :roll: Create space....... #-o
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Return to “Wide Open Sand”