Just curious...Who are you?

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

yz426f
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Just curious...Who are you?

Post by yz426f »

Just wondering if we have a "ol farts" VS " young studs" VS "young kids" thing going on here. I hear alot of negetivity on some post about there thought and ideas. also, notice alot of "zoners" fighting like heck to save california's desert. (THANKS) so, if you all don't mind will you post your age and state your from and what you ride, just so we all know if were talking to a 10 year old kid or a 100 year older (fart) gentleman that is set in his ways. At least then we will know who to get the beer for at the beer carts in the dunes.yz426f is 40 years old from san diego, two wheelers all the way!!!!! run to the sun for fun!!!!! and promise not to roost my brothers!!! (Added to Subject name to better describe topic. -Ron)Edited by - Ron @ Lazer Star on 01/21/2001 03:11:32 AMEdited by - Ron @ Lazer Star on 07/03/2001 12:43:36 AM

The Oldtimer
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by The Oldtimer »

I'm dang near 60, ride a stout trx250r, live in Escondido, and the beer cart was my idea. I am an "Old Flatulance", but with five daughters I can't afford to be set in my ways or they will run all over me! My wife is dang near 50, she rides a trx250r stocker, and spoils me. I have been riding since "77", used to party at the first Glamis store, used to hang out at Boardmanville when it first opened, learned to ride on a "90", and as long as they make Motrin and beer for pain relief, I'll keep on riding hard...well, kinda hard!2001...and I'm still alive!!Edited by - The Oldtimer on 01/18/2001 3:49:57 PM

SANDMANIAC

Post by SANDMANIAC »

I'm 45 from So.Cal. with a brand-new Tatum Long Travel 4-seater rail that I assembled and motored myself and 3 quads that I ride with my two kids (boy 11 and girl 16). ....Not set im my ways, but with very strong opinions..I love the Sand Dunes and will fight to keep them...I'll also get very pissed when people infringe upon my rights!!SAND...Breakfast of Champions!!RIDE-ON SANDMANIACS!! Edited by - SANDMANIAC on 02/26/2001 11:17:24 PM

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad »

I'm 50. My wife is "a helluva lot younger" than me (3years!). We live in Orange.We ride Honda 250R quads, got a little Winnebago and don't consider "rap" to be music. We camp along the washes, usually 16, but sometimes clear down to 40.Went to Glamis the first time in '69 and camped at Clyde and Ogilby. I've been off-roading since I was about 5. I can't think of life without it!Edited by - Washroad on 01/18/2001 4:21:16 PMEdited by - Washroad on 01/18/2001 4:21:57 PM

jm102397

Post by jm102397 »

I am a 35 year young(female)from the Phoenix area (one of your "zoners" but we usually call them "zonies"). I first went to heaven-otherwise referred to as "Glamis"- 3 years ago. If there is anyway I could do it I'd buy the 80 acres next to BMV and live there full-time...I am definitely not set in my ways, but DO believe there are some people who need to learn how to care for ALL riding areas, whether they are 8 or 80! "Punks" come in all ages, races,and social classifications!I have two quads and a 4 seat sandrail (not long travel).

Dune Goon
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Dune Goon »

I'm 22 from Long Beach, CA. I've got one '01 YZ 250 and two '01 YZ 125s. I work for a MX/ATV pipe manufacturer.

JET
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by JET »

I'm 36. I have a 400ex and an LT250. I grew up in Grover Beach. That is Pismo.Jeff TaylorOrange, CA"Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite. " Karl Popper

dirt
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by dirt »

I am 30, from San Diego and have been going to Glamis for 26 years. I ride a motorcycle and a quad.

Raptor
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Raptor »

raptorchandler, az38riding for 30yrsturned onto glamis in 1988rode 2 legged piss demons for 20 yrsowned 2 wheelers, quads, cheap rails and high dollar rails.current stable: 2 quads, 2 golf cartsan OHV is just that. like with people, why discriminate?the stars are in tune and the earth is eclipsed by the DuneEdited by - raptor on 01/18/2001 12:11:27 PM

R Scott
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by R Scott »

My wife and I are 29 and 28 respectively. We are from Peoria, Arizona (Phoenix area). I ride a TRX250R and she is on a Polaris Scrambler 400 2wd. When at the dunes, we live in our Weekend Warrior somewhere in the washes.

robbie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by robbie »

Robbie40 years oldI've been going to Glamis 10 years+I usually bring my son (13 now)I camp wherever I can. washes mostly this year.Drive an "older" sandrailA '86 class C RVgimmie a beer, and I'll turn down the musictell me to turn it up.. I'll give you one.I'll still be dunin when I'm an old fart...If they let me.Has anyone seen the beer cart?"quit stealing my gas cans...I'm running out of sugar."Robbie How long is Temporary?Edited by - robbie on 02/25/2001 12:21:53 PM

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I'm 25 and moved from Ohio to Yuma almost 2 years ago. I have a 2.0 Pinto rail (with the motor currently being rebuilt) which I bought this past summer. The ISDRA was one of the determining factors that convinced me to move to Yuma instead of a bigger city. I love all nature but have a special lust for the desert. I consider myself an environmentalist but refuse to support any type of organized enviro movement because I feel they all go too far. I want the land to be there for my children as well, but I want my children to be able to visit and appreciate that land as I do, not view it from some highway overlook.I also belive in fighting for our freedom and rights regardless of my own personal take on the situation. As I've said before I think you're a moron and should be removed from the gene pool if you ride a 2 wheeler without a helmet, but I'll fight against laws saying you must. Same goes for seat belts. The ASA battle happens to be one I agree on all sides.----Jason Hitesmanjason@hitesman.comhttp://www.hitesman.com/jason

Duner4Life
1st Gear Member

Post by Duner4Life »

I'm 24 from San Diego and I own a 2-wheeler, quad, and two 3-wheelers. I have been going to the dunes basically since birth. My parents used to strap me into a car seat in their Jeep and cruise around Glamis in the mid 70s.Sand! Your home away from home!

mshacked
1st Gear Member

Post by mshacked »

I'm 28 I currently ride a Polaris Scrammbler(No laughing) 400. I have been riding for 2 months. and been out at the dunes 3 time.I am currently looking at building a pilot/quad hybrid.I live in Las Vegas.and my favirote color is blue.I like lng walk on the.......oh wait wrong personal.

GetAirborne
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by GetAirborne »

35 years old and live in North San DiegoSandcars 4 seater and Quad for the kidsUse to ride a KX500 but then I smartened Up (Saw my life flash by too many times)Usually camp in the washes as far from the crouds as possible.More kids in our camp than adultsBeen going to Glamis for 20 years and love watching my kids enjoy the worlds biggest sand box.Edited by - GetAirborne on 01/18/2001 2:14:38 PM

Jeepin
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Jeepin »

Hi all.I am 20. Make my home in either one of the three: Long Beach, Banning, or Humboldt County. I am a forestry major in my junior year of college.Been going to Glamis since 1980, come from a family of duners and desert racers starting in 1955. I have original Willys Jeeps and other 4x4's, and a quad, but have had just about everything.I normally camp along the canal.Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.SAVE GLAMIS. Lost Coast 4x4's.

GlamisKat
1st Gear Member

Post by GlamisKat »

I am 49 and my husband is 50. He's the old guy in his rail and I ride a warrior. (That's cuz the rail breaks down everytime I get in it!) We have been going to Glamis for 16 years. Our two sons ride quads but a lot of the guys in our group ride two wheelers too. I think that we all need to stick together because we all share one passion and that is our dunes. Many times my husband and I are the only ones over 25 in our camp! Keeps you young at heart!Kathie Dike

duneyfz

Post by duneyfz »

duneyfz is 38 and rides a Banshee, my wife rides a Scrambler and my 9 year old son roosts me with his Blaster. We go duning as a family activity to enjoy wide open spaces and the stars.

Paleale

Post by Paleale »

I am 37 and in the process of building a 5 seater standard travel Toyota powered rail. Currently bending the frame up. Live in Hemet, CA. Introduced to Glamis in 1990 with a borrowed 250r. Paleale"You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. What do you want to be?" SAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

glamis5150
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by glamis5150 »

hi all. 39 years old here. I ride a banshee, my son rides one as well.. my wife drives the sandrail(I get it on Sundays...when my body's beat up)...been going to Glamis since 86...love it!

Danman
1st Gear Member

Post by Danman »

I just turned 36 and I've been doing this for about Four years. I also ride the "hard pan: in the high desert.I go out with two different groups.One group has everything from two sandcars to a quad and a two wheeler.The other group has an assortment of bikes, quads and three wheelers.

Bigred1
1st Gear Member

Post by Bigred1 »

I'm 31 got 2 quads and a Sand Car Unlimited. Just my second year dunning and enjoy it alot. Live in Pasadena and rode mostly quads all my life, until I got to Glamis.Sand, It's not just for kids...

Flipper
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Flipper »

30 year old single maleCAHonda TRX 250rTen year old rail that I have not had in the dunes yet (or running lately) I have no idea which company built the frame.78 Chevy truck (on 40 inch tires)I make it to Glamis, if not at any other time, Thanksgiving weekend, and have been doing so for 8 years.BUD LIGHTIf you don't respect the dunes, who will respect you? Pack It In Pack, It Out

Sandhopper

Post by Sandhopper »

I'm 29, and my husband is the ripe old age of 31! We have two Warriors, 2 kids, and two trucks, and more tread in our garage than we know what to do with! Just discovered Glamis last year - it's so close -we live in Phoenix - can't believe it took 29 years for me to get there! I think I'm an addict. It's nice to know I share my affliction with so many others!

Cruiser
1st Gear Member

Post by Cruiser »

My wife cruiser and her family introduced me to the dunes back in 1984.She had been going years before I was in the picture.Her Dad drove a 1835 dune buggy(thats what they were called back then).Frame was built in 1976.Since then I have bent her a new frame and use some of the parts off that old buggy.I ride a 1989 trax 250r that I just reworked the entire suspension.Anyways the story gets longer.I love the dunes it is a HUGE part of our family life.We camp at family land(Gordons Well)most of the season.My six year old daughter loves to drive the buggy in the flats.Her and all her friends take turns driving with my assistance of coarse.SAVE THE DUNES ITS A WAY OF LIFE!!!Signed Long WindedEdited by - cruiser on 01/18/2001 9:16:04 PM

Doorlord
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Doorlord »

I'm 34 with a 1986 Sand Sprite III, 1998Ford Ranger Supercab, crappy modifiedT-trailer, 2 tents (one known as "Chalupaville").From Redlands/San Berdoo, but living inPasadena for the last 4 years.Gordon's Well is a long putt from Pasadena,maybe I should move to Santee.Sand, it not just for breakfastanymore....Edited by - doorlord on 01/18/2001 9:21:49 PM

long time duner
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by long time duner »

I'm 50 years old and live in Big Bear. First trip to Glamis was with husband of coworker in 1975, bought first buggy within a month. Now have 2 midengine rails, one for me, other for 21 year old son, and 125 quad for mom. We dune with a club with duners from infants to 70+ year old retirees.

Tim Wight
ASA Public Safety Vice Chair
ASA Public Safety Vice Chair

Post by Tim Wight »

I am 36 years old and have been coming to the dunes since 1988. I ride a Banshee and my wife rides a Pilot. We normally camp in thesouth dunes (Buttercup & Gordon's Well) We live in Mesa, Az.Tim WightMesa, AZ.Forum ModeratorMount a whip, the life you save may be your own!Dune On!Check this link out!http://www.sharetrails.org/

Spyder

Post by Spyder »

Hey everyone, I am 31 yrs., my wife is 27, and we have two boys, 2.5 & 4.5 yrs. They love to go to glamis. They play on a Honda 70 and ride in our four seater with a Turbo Corvair, Hence the name Spyder. We used to go to Ocotillo Wells All the time But now I only want Glamis.....got Long Travel?

RobC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RobC »

I am 35 years old and have been going to the dunes for about 10 years. I ride either a CR500 or a TRX250R. My girlfried and her son (16 years old) also ride TRX250Rs. I just got my 5 year old daughter an E-Ton 90 to start riding. We live in Mesa, AZ. We have a 22' Wanderer Trailer we just bought for the dunes.Save the Dunes!!

Jeepster
1st Gear Member

Post by Jeepster »

JeepsterI'm 45 and drive an 89YJ. I live in Southern California and have been coming to Glamis since 74. I have ridden ATC 90's, 185's, 200x and still own a 250R, although my son rides it more than I do. I used to own a 2 seater Corvair sand rail but sold it when all my friends switched to ATC's. Now we go out and ride in the Jeeps while the kids ride.P.S. My son is 17 and rides a YZ250 (With a Flag). He also drives a raised truck with big tires. He has been coming to Glamis since he was 9 months old and respects the dunes. He attended the DAC meeting in Barstow and is a member of the Junior Rangers at Glamis. We were all out last weekend for the clean up. I am adding this just to let you know all 2 wheelers that show up in big trucks are not bad.Help keep America Free.

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry »

I am 29 and my wife is 28. I made my first dune trip to Dumont when I was 3 and my brother was a newborn! My dad is always telling the story about giving him a bath in a bucket! We stopped duning when my folks split up, but then got back into it five years later when my dad bought us a Honda 90. I have since repented my four stroke ways, and have owned a 94 Banshee for the last three years. I have just gotten my wife started in off-roading, and it will take a while to get her up to the hardcore big dunes! If you saw me at T-G 2000, I was riding her Recon 250, since the Banshee was down and I knew I would be carrying stuff (like a professional quality videocamera).I have camped all over Glamis, and have found things to like about the both the washes and Gecko road. I am looking forward to my next trip (President's Weekend?) and really hope to have a big blowout at Glamis for my 30th (Friday October 19th!). I not only live in Orange County, CA, I am a third generation native here.I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe

Kevin
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevin »

i am 26 live in upland ca, a friend introduced me to sand about 3 years ago. only went twice that season ina rail that i threw together and beat the heck out of. after many weld jobs at sweet maries and at home i sold it and bought a 400ex. broke my back april last year a month after buying the thing(i t was on my 5th trip and towards the end of the season at least) near roadrunner(hit one of those "tracks". been out 6 times since halloween this season. i am currently looking at getting a weekedn warrior, and am also laying out the plans for a new sandrail. once in a while i beat up my 93 ford lighting(prerunner lift) in the sand too.kevin"I Love the Smell of Race Gas in the Morning"

Janine

Post by Janine »

Hello All,Well I am 33. Hubby is 35. Our first time to Glamis was 12yrs ago. Then bought a house had kids etc etc. Got back into it about 5yrs ago. We have a 4seater,4guads and a pw50 that my 4year old rides. Also both my kids ride 2 of the 3 Suzuki 80s we have. I ride a 250 suzuki as well. Then we all take turns on the other 80. Fun!! Love our 80s.Live in Glendora Ca. But hubby grew up in Pasadena and I in Arcadia. Take CareJanine

Charlie
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Charlie »

Just turned 46. San Diego native living in Lakeside in east SD County. Married, two daughters, 8 & 17. Desert fanatic for over 30 years, avid duner since 1990. Sand Toys 4-seater 2460cc Type 4 and Suzuki LT80.Looking forward to taking delivery of our new Funco Big5 Gen3 that we're gonna win here pretty soon. Usually camp at Gordy's with the best friends and greatest kids anyone could ever wish for.We love the dunes. It's what we do. It's a hobby we do as a family and share with our friends. It's our social life and our way of contributing to the local economy and lowering the national debt. Look at what you've done Mr. Patterson. Shame on you!

A Family of 4
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative

Post by A Family of 4 »

My turn!!!I'm 29 and my hubby is 32. I'm from Rancho Mirage and he's from Escondido but we now live in Murrieta (nice half way point). I only have been going to Glamis for 8 years now and he's been going almost all of his life. We have a 4.5 year old son that has been going since he was a bun in the oven and now is found either on his quad (suzuki 50) or in the back seat of the 79 CJ7 Jeep in his booster seat. My husband still has his 250R and will never part with it and I prefer the comfort of the Jeep (like the heat when its cold and the windshield when its windy). We are expecting another child come July, so I guess I'll have to change my alias here to "A Family of 4". We'll be out there with the newest edition to the family just as we were with our 4yr old.We camp about 1/4 mile east of Gecko (we even have the infamous PMV in camp so we all are very educated at to what it looks like) with a huge group of friends, (motorhomes, 5th wheels, etc) but from time to time our camp will just be a couple of Jeeps and maybe a bike or two. Everyone used to be on bikes, but they have found that they don't heal like they used to so now our camp is full of Jeeps, Broncos, A Suburban and a Travel-All. The majority of our friends all have kids now so we have a camp full of pre-schoolers, 50s and love every bit of it. We all are teaching them as our parents taught us - to respect the land.You can find us at the river during the summer doing the same family thing.Stay united and don't give up!HereThereEverywhere@hotmail.comEdited by - A Family of 3 on 01/19/2001 11:12:21 AM

Roxanne
1st Gear Member

Post by Roxanne »

I am 26 and ride a Suzuki LT250R Quadracer, my finace is 28 and rides a Suzuki 500 Quadzilla. I have been camping in the ISDRA since I was born, and he got turned on to it about 2 1/2 years ago, now we can't keep him out! We also just bought the little one a Polaris Scrambler 90, and we all sport our checkered flags!

jeeperz
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by jeeperz »

I'm 29 from Riverside CA-Been riding since I was 8 - been at glamis since '83 with my parents, still have my '86 Tecate but primarily run a big block Jeep CJ5 w/4 paddles while the "wifes" Jeep is a '46 flat fender with a 406 Chevy & 4 paddles - usually camp at Gordons these daysREAL JEEPS ARE BUILT NOT BOUGHT!

tomsker
1st Gear Member

Post by tomsker »

I'm 44 yrs old and ride a 86trx250r my wife rides a 85 odyssey we have been going to glamis for 22 yrs now. we have a 3 yr old girl and live in garden grove ca.

gotdunes
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by gotdunes »

Hi all, I am 32 and my hubby is 33, our kids are 14 yr. old Girl and 9 yr. old boy from Stanton CA.. I drive our 4-seater Sand Cars Unlimited buggy, my hubby on his quad, my daughter on my 110 ATC, my son on his 80-quad. My hubby and I have been going out to the dunes since we were little kids and now we have introduced our kids into this great place. We go out to Glamis most of the major holidays to enjoy the dunes and being a family! On the off weekends and some times during the summer when it not to hot or early in the morning, we head out to White Water (Windy Point) for a day trip! But that is now being taken.Please do your part to help keep yours/mine/our dunes clean and open! If you pack it in, then pack it out!Edited by - gotdunes on 07/03/2001 12:28:29 PM

AlxCook

Post by AlxCook »

I am 33, wife is 34, we have 2 little desert rats. I grew up in La Canada, wife grew up in La Mesa. We now live in Carlsbad. I started riding in Jawbone Canyon in 1972, raced at Indian Dunes and District 37 until 1990.Started going back to the desert 5 years ago and ISDRA is now my choice. I have been on two-three and four wheelers. I now drive a Johnny's 4 seat buggie. And I won't tell you guys where I camp, because I like my quite time.

Dirtwheel66
1st Gear Member

Post by Dirtwheel66 »

I'm 21 and I have an '88 Ford F150 4x4. When I go out to Glamis I spend more money in gas pulling out my friends than I do having fun. Is it wrong of me to charge them to pull them out even though they are my friends.

supersport
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by supersport »

Hi all. I'm 46. Live in LA on the westside. First starting ridin' bikes thanks to my friends. We'd go on day trips to Gorman. My first bike was a '73 Yamaha 360 that I bought from my friend. Later got a 86 YZ490,(that thing was scarey!) Then my buddy got a Warrior and I rode it and liked it,so I ran out and bought one. Then we got introduced to Glamis in I think late '86. We were hooked. Been duners ever since. Got my Banshee in '89. Still go to Gorman,Jawbone etc, but the sand is my favorite. I enjoy the board,especially keeping up to date on things and sharing opinions. Larry Edited by - supersport on 01/20/2001 12:26:52 AM

Raptor Dude
1st Gear Member

Post by Raptor Dude »

I'am a 44yr. old dude (no wife she hated sand. see ya)with two boyz 22 & 20 between the three of us we have 1 raptor,a banshee500 zilla, 250lt, 250cr and a long travel rpm car in the making we've been going since 1987 my first dollar is still hanging in boardmanville.all the many years people have been dunning the plant still exists whats the problem now that we are aware of it lets move on. enviromentist the pet rock population is in trouble, quick go save them.

dunefreak
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by dunefreak »

I'm 29 from Chula Vista, CA,and have only been going to the dunes and such for 10 years. Fell in love with it when I rode an employees Banshee in 1987. I knew then I would have one (I rode his at a storage yard and it was love at firt ride!). Bought my first Banshee in 1991. My wife has been going to the dunes since she was little. I have two kids, a 4.5 year old girl and a 2.5 year old boy. My wife also rides a banshee, my daughter an LT80. My son wants to know when he will get a motorcycle. I mostly ride a yz400f. We have a rail and hopefully I will be getting an xr650r (please). Love the dirt and the sand, but mostly the friendships with those we ride with.dunefreak@offroadbb.comAdmin http://www.offroadbb.comFree Web-based e-mail http://www.sandmachines.com

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

I'll be 47 in March (although at times I act 19 and at others 60). My first desert toy was a Suzuki 185 in 1972, then a '74 Elsinore, at the same time a '74 750 Honda K4 ( shoulda never sold that one!) and I can't remember the rest - too many of 'em (20 or so). Went from 2-wheelers to 3-wheelers to quads to the geezer-mobile (stock golf cart).As most of you know, I'm in La Verne, Ca. I ride a Honda Pilot in the dunes now.Vincent J. BrunassoPresident ASA

Ron @ Lazer Star

Post by Ron @ Lazer Star »

Hiya,I'm 31, reside in Whittier, CA and have been going to Glamis for 28 years, since I was 2. I can remember getting an ice cream and gas out of the old glass top pumps at the original Glamis store.My family started out with my dad's old Corvair powered 4 seater. In '85 he bought the Sand Toys 4 seater (now converted to a 2 seater w/coolers in the backseats) he has today. My riding experiance started on a '83 Suzuki 4x6 (the orginal 4 wheeler), then on to a '83 200x,then a '85 350x when I was in High School. About 6 years ago I picked up my rail a Sand Toys 2 seater that was originally given away on the Price Is Right. I still have the rail and the 350 is my backup.Our group spends most of our duning weekends at Glamis with the occasional trip to Dumont and our annual trip to Gordon's at New Years.Me, my family and my business have a lot to loose if the enviros have their way. I have pledged to spend as much time and resources me and my company can muster to fight for our cause. It won't be as much as STU but I'll guarentee you'll see my face often.Ron ScottVice President, OperationsWeekend ConceptsASA Forum Moderatorrscott@weekendconcepts.comwww.saveglamis.com"Hey, that's a GREAT IDEA! So... Why aren't YOU doing it?"Edited by - Ron @ Lazer Star on 01/21/2001 03:14:30 AM

troykennedy
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by troykennedy »

WOW ! ! !It's like a reunion with old friends we never met before. Thanks to all for this little insight to who we are and why we love the sand.I'm 52 and my wife is 51. We raised 5 children in the sand. 4 girls and one boy all adults now and going their own way but some are still going to Glamis.My parents brought us to Glamis the first time in 1961 and the love affair began. We drove cut down detroit iron with v8 engines for years. At the high point our family had 6 big waterpumper buggies. Imagine the logistics of moving them to Glamis from Oceanside for the season. We stored them behind the old store during the season. After my father's death in 1974 most of us stoped going except for my brother Tom. He built his first rail in 1974 and still drives it today. Corvair thru and thru. He got me back into Glamis in 1984 and I soon bought a VW rail and the rest is history.I currently drive a Sand Toys rear engine that we haul in our fifth wheel Weekend Warrior. We camp on Gecko road somewhere depending on the crowd. The group of friends that we camp with call themselves Desert Snakes and fly a green pendant with the snake logo on it along with our checkered flags. We are a group with old farts and young studs all enjoying the sand together.I want to take this opportunity to thank all of the friends I never met because when we break down or have a problem there is always some duner who comes to our aid.Thanks to all.troy

Cathi
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Cathi »

I'm 36, husband 35, son 3 1/2Live in San Dimas, Ca.Husb. drives sand rail dragster (green teal) #17x --husbands money pit! We race ASDA at Laughlin and Blythe in the pro 1 class. But it can dune too! Don't go to drags anymore at glamis too dangerous.. our car can go 100mpr in 100 yards. Makes me nervous-I so don't want to see ANYONE get hurt! HE rides '98 Honda 500 drt bike, Yam 426f & 350 Banshee -when car is broke. He's been going to Glamis & Dumont all his life. He even lost his dad there. :(Me grew up following my bro and dad, on a xr75 and yz80 in Death Valley and Stoddard Wells area.. then hubby took me to Glamis 10+ yrs ago.. ride a my purple powder coated Banshee 350..not stock :) and a Kawi KX250 drt bike- in the dunes..love it! Son has a '01 Suzuki JR50- drt bike (like Travis Pastrana's) he says..and a yamaha 80 moto4 quad. He rode in the rail w/car seat since mo.s old. Summer we boat. Lake Mead,Needles,Havasu.Enjoy life. Say Hi' if ya see us. Hope we get our land back! What, we don't GOT SAND?Cathi, Sand Cat~ Covina Area Rep.Edited by - cathi on 05/18/2001 3:01:27 PM

Larry Jowdy
ASA Forum Administrator

Post by Larry Jowdy »

I guess I'll jump into this mess, I'm 55, and my wife Patti is 48. I have been going to the dunes since 1966, just before I entered the military. I introduced Patti to the dunes in 1992, a year before we got married. We live in Ontario and I work for the Los Angeles Co. Sheirff's Dept. (33+ years) and can't wait until I retire so I can spend more time in the dunes. I've riden them all from 2 wheelers, 3 wheelers, quads, and buggies. Due to some severe medical problems that my wife has had to endure, I built a 2 seater long travel car to make her outings more comfortable. I was selected by the BLM to sit on the Technical Review Team after the Fee Demo Program was initiated and I hold the Vice Chairman position on that committee.Larry Jowdy TRT Vice Chairman
Last edited by Larry Jowdy on Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Wide Open Sand”