Volunteers Needed for Research Committee

Issues Related To Volunteers, Membership Organization.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Volunteers Needed for Research Committee

Post by sbheg »

I the Research Chair am looking for some team members to assist with the below objectives. I am in need of two types of individuals for the team, Domain Experts ( Individuals that understand the problem, the players,etc.) and technically oriented (programmer types, power users, search engine wizards).

We are looking to fill the Vice-Chair position ASAP, I would like that person to be a Domain Expert to compliment my technical strengths. Please email me if you are interested.

Objective
Provide tactical information need for the Board of Directors and committees about individuals, groups, places, events, etc. We will use the Internet and libraries to gather the information needed. Review new information found on Government sites, Federal Register listings, environmental sites, and other off-road related sites. We will focus on using technology to reduce the amount of effort required by volunteers and empower committees to quickly receive descriptive information related to all information sources currently being monitored.

Approach
The Internet is our most powerful tool to acquire tactical information needed to combat extreme environmentalist groups. We can get up to the minute information related to the subject areas we are interested in. How do we best accomplish the objectives?
I propose that we create a collection system, which will monitor sites of interest, which will accept alerts from other websites, which will accept directed queries from news sources, etc. We will need an intelligent alert routing system, which will deliver information to the appropriate BOD member or committee member for review and action if necessary. We will need a searching mechanism for searching our archived data from various collected sources.

How
How do we get there? We will use technology developed by Imissary, LLC whom is willing to donate the use of their technology and experience in the domain of information gathering and understanding to further the cause of the ASA. We will also use Open Source tools and solutions to complete or complement the proposed above systems.

Whom
Who will be doing the above? First the research committee will be tasked with this activity and its chair will be at the forefront of developing the technologies, creating a team to assist in the objectives of the project. We will create a team made up of technologist and domain experts to accomplish the objectives. All volunteers to the team will be used to accomplish an objective of the committee.

Sincerely,
heg
Harold E. Gottschalk Jr.

ASA Volunteer
Research Assistant Chair
Work: 619-749-3665 Fax: 619-749-3666 Cell: 619-742-3665
E-Mail: heg AT imissary DOT com
11601 Osage Trail
Lakeside Ca. 92040[/u]
Proud ASA Volunteer

Ta2dGrrl
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ta2dGrrl »

I'm quite adept at research, but not quite sure if I have the capabilties you need. I remember that at some point we had a member who had access to Lexis/Nexus, maybe you can hunt them down as that would be incredibly useful.

I work well as a grunt~ let me know if I can help.

Nik
ta2dgrrl@yahoo.com
----
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

-Mario Andretti

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg »

Ta2dGrrl wrote:I'm quite adept at research, but not quite sure if I have the capabilties you need.
I will need individuals to review results, test the tools, etc.
Ta2dGrrl wrote: I remember that at some point we had a member who had access to Lexis/Nexus, maybe you can hunt them down as that would be incredibly useful.

I work well as a grunt~ let me know if I can help.

Nik
ta2dgrrl@yahoo.com
I agree and I will keep you posted on our activities so you can jump in and help.

Thank you,
heg
Proud ASA Volunteer

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

This is my first post on this site. I am a new member, and signed up for this very thing. I am a college student and already study a lot of governmental and enviormental orgainizations, as well as presenting collected data to large audiences on a daily basis. On top of that, I am a computer engineer for the Marine Corps. Many of the programs that you listed I have not worked with, however, Im sure that I can get the hang of them in a short amount of time. Please let me help in any way I can. I know Microsoft, Unix, Linux, Solaris, C++, and many other programing languages. I am not a programmer, but I am smart in terms of how to use programs to get them to jump through hoops for me.

My intrests lie in the political struggle that ASA and other duners are experiencing, and becoming more envolved in the struggle to keep the dunes open. After I finish my degree, I plan on attending law school.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks
Brandon Woodhouse
wooddogg57@yahoo.com
PM me for my phone number
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

Welcome to the ASA Brandon, and to the board Grumpy Wookie! :wink:

While the ad for help is a couple years old now, I am sure that your assistance can still be used in the same or similar area of the ASA.

My point is, not to worry; someone will be along soon to scoop you up!!

Thanks for volunteering! =D>
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Welcome to the board Grumpy Wookie. :D

sbheg hasn't posted for over a year and I'm not sure he's still heading up the research committee. Please email him directly. You can also contact the ASA Board of Directors at asaboard@americansandassociation.org

Thanks for stepping up!
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

Sorry about the late post. If I could have, I would have been more envolved a few years ago. If it wasnt for Washroad, I would not even know about the ASA.

I will contact the board of directors, as requested, to find out how I can help. I just want to do my part.

Thanks
Brandon
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Grumpy Wookie wrote:I will contact the board of directors, as requested, to find out how I can help. I just want to do my part.
That's Great Brandon. \:D/
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg »

Brandon,
I still live :-) and volunteer, just have not been on the BBS in quite a while.

I could use help, due to time constraints, I can orchestrate the solutions and can use someone with your abilities to take some technologies and ideas I have and do the diligence that is required.

I will contact you personally, Thank you for choosing this group!

heg
Grumpy Wookie wrote:This is my first post on this site. I am a new member, and signed up for this very thing. I am a college student and already study a lot of governmental and enviormental orgainizations, as well as presenting collected data to large audiences on a daily basis. On top of that, I am a computer engineer for the Marine Corps. Many of the programs that you listed I have not worked with, however, Im sure that I can get the hang of them in a short amount of time. Please let me help in any way I can. I know Microsoft, Unix, Linux, Solaris, C++, and many other programing languages. I am not a programmer, but I am smart in terms of how to use programs to get them to jump through hoops for me.

My intrests lie in the political struggle that ASA and other duners are experiencing, and becoming more envolved in the struggle to keep the dunes open. After I finish my degree, I plan on attending law school.

Let me know how I can help

Thanks
Brandon Woodhouse
wooddogg57@yahoo.com
PM me for my phone number
Proud ASA Volunteer

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

Anything I can do to help.
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

sbheg wrote:Brandon,
I still live :-) and volunteer, just have not been on the BBS in quite a while.

I could use help, due to time constraints, I can orchestrate the solutions and can use someone with your abilities to take some technologies and ideas I have and do the diligence that is required.

I will contact you personally, Thank you for choosing this group!

heg
Ok, so it has been several months and I still have not been contacted. Lobuck/Woodglue/Bhenry, do you know how I can either contact sbheg or anyone that does still work on the research committee? I would really like to get envolved more, and due to my hectic schedule, most of the events that have been posted come on at a time where I have other commitments. The research committee seems like it is something that I can do when I find the time from a remote location, and something that I feel I could be good at. I have some good contacts with school (attending CSUSM) and I work full time on a computer. That means I have a lot of time in research enviroments.

Lastly, I am a talented public speaker if I know the subject at hand. Researching these issues would give me the comfort to speak at meetings and so on at length if needed. My mother always said I should be a lawyer, maybe I will and represent the ASA someday.

Anyways, any help given would be appriciated.
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Sorry to hear this Brandon.
I sent sbheg an e-mail, and also alerted 'the big guys' of your concerns.
I'm sure someone will be contacting you shortly.
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

I still have not been contacted. I have some phone numbers now, and will make a round of phone calls tonight. I have been doing a lot of research and gaining background education, however, I dont know if I am focusing my studies in the right direction. If I could just get more direction in what is needed in terms of research so that I can contribute to this team it would be helpful.
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma »

Hey Brandon, any luck yet?

Grumpy Wookiee
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Grumpy Wookiee »

Yes, I have been contacted by Julie Krogh to help with the research committee, however, it has been a while since we talked last and I have changed my phone number...

If someone needs it, they can PM me and I will send out my new number.

I have also been contacted by Mr. Bill Jones to help with some researching grant oppritunities as well as Jim Collins to help with a database.

So, in short, I am being contacted. Thank you for your concern and thanks to all that helped me get involved...
"The Grumpy Wookiee"

Return to “ASA Membership / Volunteer Organization”