The ASA is where it is today due to volunteer efforts.

Issues Related To Volunteers, Membership Organization.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

The ASA is where it is today due to volunteer efforts.

Post by Woodglue »

For some time now, I have held a fear of getting too involved in the ASA. Not because I didn’t want to be involved, rather because I didn’t want to be inundated with a bunch of work.
Over this time, I’ve slowly increased my involvement from Moderating the BBS [really a pretty easy ‘job’ thanks to those who are reading this, combined with the efforts of BHenry and LoBuck] to assisting the Press Release Committee. Beyond that, my fears have kept my involvement from increasing any further, despite my wants to better serve the ASA.

A few weeks ago, an opportunity was presented to me, and after some careful consideration, I had made my decision to decline it, allowing these fears to again consume me.

The following is an excerpt taken from the Chairman's Report written by Chairman of the Board, Bill Jones and published in the February 2008 Newsletter:
Bill Jones wrote:……The ASA will continue relentlessly with our fight for public access to public lands. The American Sand Association is a powerful, prestigious organization with a mandate to keep our land open. The war we are engaged in is a long and tedious process. Yes, I said WAR! We are engaged in a war of ideals. A war of freedom and liberty in the purest sense. We can not battle those who disagree with us alone. Our powerful foes continue to battle us in the media and the courts. We need help. Help from our membership. Help from you. Yes you. The time has passed when off roaders could sit back and do nothing and still have a place to ride. We have to continually fight for every acre we ride on. To fight for our right to ride means getting involved with organizations that stand for what we believe in. Belonging to off road organizations is only the beginning. After that you must get involved in those organizations. Volunteer to help these organizations. The ASA or any other off road organization can not have any hope of winning these battles without you being involved. Very soon you will receive requests from the ASA to write letters to help influence elected officials who make decisions concerning our dunes. We may ask for volunteers
to help represent the ASA at an off road show or event. Don't turn your back on us, I beg you to take these requests seriously. Without the commitment and passion of our members we are nothing. If you sit idly by and let others do the work for you we will lose our fight. We will use the few members who volunteer until they are exhausted and stop volunteering.
Our fight will continue for years to come and we need many more volunteers now and in the future. If you get involved and generously help, you will have the inner satisfaction that you contributed your valuable time and efforts to keep our dunes open for generations to come. If you can find it in your heart to volunteer a little, that is great. If you can volunteer more that is wonderful. Every bit helps our common cause. The ASA volunteer family is the greatest group of people I have ever had the pleasure to work with. They tirelessly give and give with little to no fanfare to help our cause. We need you.
Are you prepared to tell your children or grandchildren about all the fun we had in the dunes, but now there are no places to ride anymore? I am not. Are you going to let other people take away your sand dunes forever? I am not. How can you possibly describe the glorious beauty of a sunset at Glamis sitting with friends and family on a sand dune if you have never been there? It is up to you. Each and every one of you. Are you going to join me and other ASA volunteers in the fight or sit back and lose everything? What is it going to be?

If you want to get more involved with the ASA contact us at: asaboard@americansandassociation.org

You will not regret it, I promise.
:shock:
This letter sent me on my ear! It struck a cord in me, such to the extent that it provided the push I needed to accept the position that was proposed some weeks ago.

Within the past few days, I have filled a new position within the ASA to serve as the Volunteer Coordinator.

In this capacity, my task is to serves as the focal point for directing ASA members who express an interest in volunteering to the appropriate committees.

This would include my contact to members that have expressed a desire to volunteer their services to the ASA,. to discuss volunteer opportunities. The idea is to ascertain volunteer interest and abilities to better determine the appropriate committee fit.

Once a Volunteer / Committee connection is made, I will follow up to verify that the volunteer is receiving the directions needed and they are satisfied with the assigned volunteer assignment. If the volunteer is not satisfied, we would review other volunteer possibilities.

Sensitive to the fears of being over inundated, I will serve these interests with priority. To each volunteer, I can act as their 'Agent' or 'Union Rep', if so desired. :wink:

I am in great hopes that the Chairman’s Report strikes you in a manner that prompts you to Step Up and volunteer your valued time and skills in serving the ASA.

In my right hand, I am assembling a list of Committee Volunteer needs. In my left hand, I need a dedicated team of volunteers to address these needs.

The ASA is where it is today due to volunteer efforts. No effort is too small and all are welcomed. It doesn't matter where you live either; we have many ways you can volunteer to help out. Please contact me with your Volunteer commitment and we will discuss your desires and find the best fit for you, your time, and your skills.

With high expectations,
-Mike Reber.
ASA Volunteer Coordinator
volunteers@asasand.org
Last edited by Woodglue on Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

ChoppedLiver
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by ChoppedLiver »

Congrats and thanks Mike! This is a position long vacant and badly needed for everyone who wants to do something has direction. Good Luck!!

alyshka
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by alyshka »

Way to go Mike

THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO!!!
Robert Hancock
"The task that has fallen to us as Americans is to keep alive the hope and dream of freedom"
Ronald Reagan
alyshka r.i.p. 1987-2004
Alyshka's Photos

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Guys, thanks of the kind words here, but this thread is not about that!

Please, Volunteer! :wink:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Congratulations and Thank You Mike. \:D/ =D>

Check out your new ranking by your avatar. :wink:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

LoBuck wrote:Congratulations and Thank You Mike. \:D/ =D>

Check out your new ranking by your avatar. :wink:
Thanks Glenn.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

Thanks for taking the job, Mike! Glad you did it!

Yes, the point of the thread is to get involved. Some of us can do a little, some can do a lot, and we all know life gets in the way sometimes.

Do what you can. If you can't donate money, donate time. Time is just as important!

Yes, it's war! Don't ever think of it as anything less than a full-on attempt to take away your freedom.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Woo hoo Mikes on the job.

See people...here is a perfect example of an asa member steping up, a little at a time, doing what he can here or there to help in the fight. Image

The ASA is kinda like the dunes. You see a guy out there and your willing to help them. In this case theres like five buggys, eight quads, and a jeep broke down that need help. Ya its kinda like that. :( Thats why this is such a huge task for Mike to take on.

I'm sure a lot of you have already sent him a PM or E-mail asking what you can do. [-o<

Thanks you Mike for steping up and THANK YOU ASA members for steping up more. =D> =D> =D>

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Thanks Jon, and I dig your analogy here:
Sloppyduner wrote:The ASA is kinda like the dunes. You see a guy out there and your willing to help them. In this case theres like five buggys, eight quads, and a jeep broke down that need help. Ya its kinda like that.
That's pretty spot-on.
Duners are the best in the world with helping a mid-dune breakdown. I've had guys just stop and give me some water, and hang out for a bit when I was broken down and waiting for my buddy to return. And for me, in that situation, that's all it took for me to endure the breakdown that much better. The same holds true here.
Sloppyduner wrote:I'm sure a lot of you have already sent him a PM or E-mail asking what you can do. [-o<
Sorry to say, not so much, in fact... NONE :cry: yet. <--but my expectations are still high! :wink:

What do YOU want to do to help the ASA?
Think about it, and let's talk.
PM me, E-mail Me or just post it here [I would say call me, but most who have my phone number already have a full plate =D> ]
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Rekd »

If there's anything more I can do, let me know. As you know I recently volunteered for some PR stuff, but if this last week is any indication, I should have a bit more time I can spare. (Unless you're planning on ramping up the number of PRs)

I PM'd Vicki a few days ago about helping with the Yamaha grant thing but haven't heard back.

Is there a "list" of things we need?
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Thanks Rekd, I'll be in touch shortly.
Just for some perspective, the PR Committee last week was probably our bussiest week since we started.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

Perhaps we can change that... :D
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Rekd, again, thank you for stepping up. =D> You have a PM! :wink:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Just an update:
In addition to establishing a Committee home for rekd, I have now been contacted by WoodIsGood, seeking to VOLUNTEER.
My hat's off to both of you guys!!
=D> =D> =D>
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Thanks to Woody for driving down to The ORBA super show to fill in for an ill volunteer. WAY to get hands on dude. Image

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

bUmP!
We're still seeking Volunteers! :wink:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Return to “ASA Membership / Volunteer Organization”