infos for REAL newbie

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

infos for REAL newbie

Post by jonathanfromquebec »

Ok, let me explain. I'm from Quebec (Canada) and I'm planning a trip un silver lake for next year. I'm a bit lost with what's needed:
-orv registration
-voucher
etc

If I understand right, voucher is a kind of form filled in advance so it's quicker for the entrance? But for ORV registration of michigan, will I need it if I'm fully licensed from Quebec government? If I need it, where can I get it and how long will it take me to get it?

and for information, what's the best time to ride silver lake. A period not too busy with good conditions?

thanks
Jonathan

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

I just forgot, we'll be riding fourwheelers.

Gottaride
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Gottaride »

Hi Jonathan

You can buy your ORV sticker and Michigan State Park sticker at the entrance. They have everything at the entrance gate and it doesn't take much extra time. You can get two types of stickers, daily or yearly. Nothing is needed to get these, just pay your $$$$. You will need an ORV and state park sticker on anything you take out into the dunes. You will also need a state park sticker on your vehicle you bring into the parking lot.

The vouchers . . . vouchers are needed for Sat and Sun and any holidays. You cannot get a voucher until the night before.

Silver Lake is always crowded however it is less crowded during the week.

You will also need a 10 ft flag. You can buy them at the stores next to the dunes along with most parts you might need. Don't forget your spark arrestors, they check for them and sound test you on the way into the dunes.

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

Welcome to the board jonathanfromquebec! :wink:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

thanks for those precisions. it's really appreciated. for the spark arrestor, what does it look like. If I have the original exaust system, is it included...
thanks
Jonathan

jonathanfromquebec
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Ok, what are the must have on an atv for a duning trip to silver lake(I know for the flag and spark arrestor, voucher, etc).

Paddle tires (what brand is the best)?
tire pressure?
special fluids (specific oil, coolant, etc)?
special cautions for air filter?
suspension adjustement?
Am I forgeting something ?

thanks for your time

Jonathan

spectrumsandsports
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by spectrumsandsports »

jonathanfromquebec wrote:Ok, what are the must have on an atv for a duning trip to silver lake(I know for the flag and spark arrestor, voucher, etc).

Paddle tires (what brand is the best)?
tire pressure?
special fluids (specific oil, coolant, etc)?
special cautions for air filter?
suspension adjustement?
Am I forgeting something ?

thanks for your time

Jonathan
Jonathan,

Here are my recomendations:
Paddle tires: Skat Traks are great tires

Tire Pressure: 5-10lbs depending on sand condition. lose&dry lower.

Special Fluids: If 2 stroke use the same oil. mixing oils without replacing the pistons isn't recomended. Crank case oil isn't as important. Some guys run regular motor oil, brand specific oil and even ATF

Special Cautions Air Filter: Make sure you filter is clean and you may want to purchase a nylon bag to cover your air filter. K&N makes a nice one which I use on my TRX450.

Other stuff to bring:WATER! Leave your wallet in your truck. I like to wear a backpack if there is nobody with a truck in my group. It makes it easy to carry WATER, camera, a few tools, sunglass', MP3 player (if you rock out while riding) and anything else. Just tighten it up good and ride!

I enjoy the early season ride more because the dunes are more peaked and it's cool so you don't roast all day long. There is a place to buy lunch walking distance from the parking lot. Get your vouchers as soon as you get to Silver so you can get the earliest entrance time. Before entering the dunes all vehicles and ATV's must have an ORV and Flag if entering the actual dunes. All vehicles entering the including ATV's must have a state park pass. Day pass' are $7 and annuals are $25 (I think).

A spark arrestor is a screen inside your exhaust to keep your bike from catching the sand on fire. Yeah it's rediculous. The DNR will insert a long stick into your exhaust to make sure the screen is in place. Your vehicle is not allowed to be over 98decibles but last year they stopped checking due to a cut in state funding.

If you are looking to meet some people before going you can check out sandtalk.com to meet some locals. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Keep the rubber side down!

Steve @
Spectrum Sandsports

Return to “Silver Lake Dunes”