New DNR noise restrictions for 2002

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

wisandman
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

New DNR noise restrictions for 2002

Post by wisandman »

Has anyone out there heard what the final DB noise levels will be permited by the DNR for Silver Lake this year?

Roger R. Berte

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies »

This is what I found out, straight from the rules and regulations book for 2002. "Exhaust noise shall not exceed 90db; or 94db on vehicles manufacured after Jan 1, 1986." Nice to see someone active on the MIchigan board besides me. Still trying to find out where everybody is at. Just because its winter doesnt mean the fun has to stop right! Anwyay I hope that info helps..

Work hard, Play Harder...

wisandman
1st Gear Member

Post by wisandman »

I received a E-mail yesterday from Peter Lundborg-Silver Lake State Park with all the new Rules for 2001. You can also get them by E-Mailing Peter at LUNDBORP@Michigan.gov

Roger R. Berte

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies »

Thanx for that one.

Good luck on the dunes this year, I'll see ya out there!

SANDUNERS
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by SANDUNERS »

As this forum is fairly new, it will take time to branch out the ASA mission. Inform, Unite and Mobilize the dune community...

Your just the start of the process, thanks.

Jim
ASA CA Membership Director.

ARE YOU AWAKE YET????

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies »

Jim its people like you that keep us motivated. Thanx.

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey »

Anybody know if they will enforce the 94dba level? Was that part of the new regs proposed for '02? The Silver Lake State Park page had the proposed new regs for '02 on its website a few months ago, but it's not anymore. So maybe they ditched the proposals?

wisandman
1st Gear Member

Post by wisandman »

It was my understanding from the E-mail and regs I received last week from Peter Lundborg(DNR rep Silver Lake) that the noise regs were going to be enforced and if you didn't pass you will not enter the dunes.

Roger R. Berte

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey »

Mr. Lundborg e-mailed me this season's new regs, and unfortunetly, the 94dba limit is for real. I asked Mr. Lundborg a number of questions regarding the change. When I get answers, I'll be sure to post them here. Stay tuned . . .

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey »

This season's new regs are a result of a petition by some locals. The locals threatened to sue the state of Michigan to enforce the existing sound laws (94dba). So now all vehicles must pass the test or they will not be allowed to enter the dunes. Spark arresters are also mandatory.

Opinion: this rule is bogus. For those of you who have ridden the Silver Lake dunes, you know that sound isn't an issue. There is nobody to disturb. OK, maybe one house on the north end, but that's it. There is Lake Michigan to the west, forest to the east and more dunes to the south. Probably just some more tree huggers trying to infringe on us. I'll be that the economy of the area is going to be hurt by this. If guys can't have aftermarket exhaust, they probably won't come. And how about guys who ride MX dirt bikes. They won't even pass the noise test with stock exhaust! I hope the DNR advertises this new change. Think about all the people who don't know about this stuff, show up and then are denied access to the dunes because their machines are a little loud.

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies »

I know exactly how u feel. This really sucks. Just like u said there isnt a da*n thing around those dunes except WATER.

Just the DNR, or for that matter the local GOV, trying to take away more of our privelages. Its *********t, and if we want to keep our dunes we have to be active in our communities and local govs....

Just my 2 cents.. Where u from?

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey »

Actually, there was very little that could have been done to avoid this situation. The 94dba rule is a state law, and for years the DNR did not enforce it. A group of locals submitted a petition to the township board, threatening to sue so that the noise law would be enforced. The government really didn't have any choice but to enforce the law. This is all according to Peter Lundborg.

So if you think about it, off-roaders have gotten away with breaking the law for years. The noise rule has been in effect since the mid-70s, again according to Lundborg.

As for the DNR and local government trying to take away priviledges, I cannot comment. I don't know enough information on the officials. Peter Lundborg, however, seems like a good guy. He knows the facts and gives answers straight-up.

I'm from Minneapolis, Minn. How about you?

Check out my web page on Silver Lake.
http://mf3984.homestead.com/silverlake01.html

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey »

turbotoyota007,

Do you have a checkered flag? I have them for both my quads and plan on proudly flying them this year during my dune trips. If you don't have a checkered flag, you should get one. They are only $5, shipping included. Even though we don't ride Glamis all the time, the checkered flag program applies everywhere.

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies »

MB, No I dont have a checkered flag. That sounds like a good idea though.

I dont know this Peter Lundborg, is he a DNR rep? My uncle is a Congressman for Michigan so our family associates with a lot of poloticians and officaials. I have never heard of him.

Anyway let me know how to go about getting one of those flags!! I want 3!! Thanx!

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey »

Peter Lundborg's official title is "unit manager" for Silver Lake State Park and Hart-Montague-Berry Junction Trail.

I hope your uncle is sticking up for us off-roaders!

Visit http://www.glamisonline.org/html/premiu ... Form.shtml to buy checkered flags. They're only $5 per flag. Tell your riding buddies to get some!

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies »

Hey Mb, does Peter have an e mail address? Sounds like he has some useful info! Dale Kildee supports and participates with us duners and offroaders!!

mbfrey
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by mbfrey »

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies »

Thanx :) :)

bansheeracer
1st Gear Member

Post by bansheeracer »

If they enforce the 90 or 94 db,s no quads or bikes or any trucks that are not stock wont pass last season they were doing test and no 1 was passing ..if thats the case will have some quads for sale every where is stoping us from racing milan dragway closed their sand track last season ...did not like running on the asphalt even though did go 103 mph on my banshee lol

KingGlamis

Post by KingGlamis »

up

Return to “Silver Lake Dunes”