sound levels for s.l

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

bansheeracer
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

sound levels for s.l

Post by bansheeracer »

my friend went up on saturday and they were allowing 98dbs he some quads tested and the raptors with after maerket pipes not sure of the brand but the high end race pipes and T5,s were passing right at 98

Gottaride
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Gottaride »

Were the T-5 pipes passing with Sparkies on them? We put the Sparkies on the end of our T-5's and they are louder now. Were they testing every bike or were they just picking some out? Need a sand fix real bad, it's been a long, cold winter.

bansheeracer
1st Gear Member

Post by bansheeracer »

yes the T 5,s were passing but like i said at the max level and no they were spot checking had all our quads checked for future ref.. only 1 didnt pass but the way the check i think might have alot to do with your rear fenders the 1 that dint pass had cut fenders on rear and a different pipes not sure of the brand like bigbore pipes or something ..and yea i need a fix too lol

KingGlamis
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by KingGlamis »

up

JeepJD79

Post by JeepJD79 »

Hey guys, Just got my Jeep all set on saterday and drove her to the lake for the season! Hope to get back out and play. Anyone heard about Jeeps? buggies not passing sound checks yet?
I think those of us running chambered muffs won't have a problem passing. But if you guys have heard I would really apreciate it,
Jason

79' CJ7
360 AMC

Smiley
1st Gear Member

Post by Smiley »

I wouldn't sweat the noise limits if you have a bike with freshly packed muffler and a spark arrester. 90% of everything is getting on the dunes, some are adding spark arrestors in the parking lot to be legal.

I drive 4x4s and was most interested in how those were doing. So I went up there and found out what criteria they were using for testing. They use a Radio Shack Decibel Meter (about $20) set on slow in the C scale. The hold the end at 20 inches from the end of the muffler/tailpipe at a 45 degree angle from the end of the pipe. The nose of the meter faces perpendicular to the tailpipe, so it is not held facing the pipe. V8s test at 2500 RPM and V6s at 2000 RPM. Bikes vary depending on size - half of rated RPM is the norm.

I found that baffled mufflers, like Flowmaster 3 chambers, would pass most of the time, but always passed if they had full tailpipes to the rear of the vehicle. The 4x4s that were being turned back had glasspacks or headers with downturn glasspacks. I'd say 90% were allowed to enter the dunes both times I've been there this spring. We bought our own meter and we tested 15 trucks of our own, all pass.

My truck is right at the limit of 94 dB.

The big boys are calling SuperTrap and getting engineered mufflers to fit their headers - proper size and end rings to meet noise limit and have the best flow at that limit. The two I talked to said that they found no noticable decrease in performance.

Edited by - Smiley on 05/17/2002 6:53:48 PM

MT Buggies
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MT Buggies »

Nice! Good to know, thanx. Who is heading up this weekend?

Work hard, Play Harder...

TLB
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by TLB »

I haven't gone to the Silver Lake Dunes since they started checking sound levels. Where do they check you, when you are in line or at another place?
Mirage 2 seat, 2.8 multiport fuel injected V6 Chevy

aSa Supporting Member 8)

Smiley
1st Gear Member

Post by Smiley »

They check at the entrance trail to the dunes at the corner of the parking lot. Mostly they just check on busy weekends from what I've seen. They do require a spark arrestor of some form. Even a baffled muffler works for that though, like a Flowmaster.

TLB
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by TLB »

Thanks Smiley, I have a single Supertrapp with a spark arrester on my V6 and to some people it might be loud, well I did take some packing out of it :twisted:

I think just to be safe I should get some new packing material and repack it.

Terry
Mirage 2 seat, 2.8 multiport fuel injected V6 Chevy

aSa Supporting Member 8)

Return to “Silver Lake Dunes”