Gecko Camping Pads

Be safe and prepared.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

chino350
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Gecko Camping Pads

Post by chino350 »

The numbered area's along Gecko Road. Are there really pavement/pads there that has been covered with sand? I have been through there not camping and it all looked like dune sand. I am trying to minimize the chance of getting stuck! Thanks

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Gecko Camping Pads

Post by Woodglue »

I don't know about the numbers you're referring to, but I can confirm that it is 100% possible to get your 4wd truck and Toy-Holler completely stuck in 6" of sand on pavement!

I've seen me do it, last April, on Gecko Rd. #-o
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Most of the "pads" are improved with decomposed granite, or something similar, so they are much more solid than sand. But if you go off an end or edge of the improved stuff you will easily get stuck.

chino350
1st Gear Member

Post by chino350 »

The numbers are painted on the road in. Pad 1, 1.5, 2, etc. I am sure that I could get stuck in 3" of sand as well! That is why I am asking for any tips about setting up camp and not getting stuck! Thanks

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

Yes you will get stuck!!

Gecko road is really not that great of a place to camp either. I've heard some call it a "Sand Swamp" because you can sink down to your knees in some places. Almost everyone is digging themselves out by Sunday afternoon. I've seen 4X4's nearly submerged on what is called a "Pad".

There is much more room at the washes and best of all, you will not get stuck.

Save yourself the grief & aggrivation of all this. If you want to minimize your chances of getting stuck then clearly the best place to camp is at the washes.

:^o :^o :^o

The pads are fine. No worries - just don't drive off them.

MattV
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by MattV »

MR. PETE wrote:Yes you will get stuck!!

Gecko road is really not that great of a place to camp either. I've heard some call it a "Sand Swamp" because you can sink down to your knees in some places. Almost everyone is digging themselves out by Sunday afternoon. I've seen 4X4's nearly submerged on what is called a "Pad".

There is much more room at the washes and best of all, you will not get stuck.

Save yourself the grief & aggrivation of all this. If you want to minimize your chances of getting stuck then clearly the best place to camp is at the washes.

:^o :^o :^o

The pads are fine. No worries - just don't drive off them.

No, the washes are horrible. Filled with rude, loud people who run generators and stereos all night long, not to mention the powder like consistency of the sand. Don't camp there, stay at Gecko! :^o :^o :^o
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

chino350
1st Gear Member

Post by chino350 »

Thanks for the tips guys! You had me for a second. How do I tell where the pads are? I guess sinking to China will tell me where they are not. No worries about camping in the washes. Too many people and If I am worried about Gecko there is no way I am going to no-mans-land!

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

chino350 wrote:Thanks for the tips guys! You had me for a second. How do I tell where the pads are? I guess sinking to China will tell me where they are not. No worries about camping in the washes. Too many people and If I am worried about Gecko there is no way I am going to no-mans-land!
Actually, getting a good campsite in the washes is usually easier than anywhere on Gecko (or the campground loops). You do need to know where you are going, just as you need to pay attention to the pads. If you don't like crowds, just keep going down towards the south and you'll soon run out of people. :D
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Sandcock »

The pads are hardpack. Sand drifts occur on them and sometimes its hard to distinguish where the pad is. I like Pad 4 the most, but have gotten stuck becuase of my stupidity, i.e. if it looks like soft sand it probably is soft sand #-o Roadrunner has hardpack also. I like Pad 4 because I'm able to work some riding skills with my daughter in the small dunes on the west side of Gecko. You're in the bigger dunes off of Gecko real quick, but I found out last Feb that you can access China Wall and Brawley Slide faster from Wash 23. On a busy weekend don't even think you will get a pad on Gecko. The washes are your best bet and really no worry of getting stuck unless stupid is what stupid does :lol:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Return to “Dune Safety • Survival • Camping”