EK4 Monster Truck

Technical Discussion Forum for Radio Controled Vehicles & Aircraft

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

GLWBEAR
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

EK4 Monster Truck

Post by GLWBEAR » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:41 pm

Is anyone running the EK4 Monster truck? I've got one and it's a major pain in the ***** to get running. Any comments?

GLWBEAR

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Winston Cup » Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:56 pm

Well, that truck is kinda of a pain from everything I hear about. They put a huge motor, from like a helicopter or something in it and its just tears up the car. **** fast when it runs though :shock: What are you having tuning problems or are things flyin' off it. Give me some more details and I'll see if I can help you.
Guy Chrest

GLWBEAR
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

EK4 Monster Truck

Post by GLWBEAR » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:43 am

Guy: Your right! The EK4 has a .70 Thunder Tiger motor and when it runs it is a screamer. The problem it is VERY touchy and need a lot of TLC to keep it running. I got fed up with my EK4 and put it away for a year and switched to FG 5th scale EVO COMP with 4 wheel disc brakes w/ ABS What a gas! Made in Germany and all Titanium and billet alumn. A very expensive car! If you thought the EK4 was pricey try $2700 a copy for a stone stock FG EVO Comp!

Any way, I just recently call ACE Hobby and cried and complained how ****** the EK4 was and they sent me over $600 in EK4 upgrades for FREE! I got cylinder head, front & rear Difs, frame braces, "A" arms, Clutch mod, brake mods, driveshafts, and a bunch of other parts that I haven't even opened yet. I was amazed at what thet sent me for FREE!

Everytime I tried to run the truck it stalled, and ran ******. I'm going to install all the new parts and upgrade to sealed bearings and see what happens.

How hard is the sand on running them in the sand? Do you have to use a special air filter? Give me some info on this.

What do you run?

Gary Williams
Silicon Valley, Ca.

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:05 am

Sounds like maybe you got one of the ealry versions of the ek4, with the copter heat sink, which was a serious mistake on their part. That head needed the blade of the copter blowing over it too cool it. I heard they are real finicky though, even more so than normal nitro motors.

Geez you got some pics of that EVO, that thing sounds cool. Man that's a pricey little thing too. ABS? You gotta be kidding me :shock:

The first thing I suggest is probably something you've already done and that is clean the carb real good, get to the base settings and stick a new glow plug in it, they were burning the plugs up real quick. I'll see what I can dig up on that thing, I seem to remember some good threads on the problems with the EK4's. A lot of people were pissed when they bought one. A ton of them got returned but they do seem to make an attempt to help people though. Not sure if that's ThunderTiger doing it or ACE, might just be ACE. For the sand you really gotta make sure you have a good foam filter and no matter what the sand is gonna get everywhere in that thing. I think the trannys exposed in those aren't they? I'll get some more info to you. Let me dig a little.

The T-Maxx is what I run for general pounding nowadays. This one's not exactly stock though, .21 8 port, arms, shocks etc, but then a lot of it still is too. These really are solid machines outta the box, you really can't beat em for hard abuse.

More T-Maxx Pics
Guy Chrest

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:16 am

Here check out this forum http://www.midmad.com/forum/index.php It seems more up to date with special sections just for the EK4. And there is a ton of info on the EK4 on there site as well at http://www.midmad.com/ I see specs on carb settings from the real world as well in the EK4 info section.
Guy Chrest

GLWBEAR
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

EK4

Post by GLWBEAR » Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:29 am

Guy, thanks for your efforts on the EK4. Your T-Maxx is beautiful! You've sunk a TON of $$ in that! I've got a T-Maxx that has every single piece of plastic replaced with Billet alumn parts. What A waste of $$

The 5th scale stuff is very expensive, yet it is the closest to a real race car. All of our toys are expensive. I've got ATV's where I've got over $10K invested in them. It seems if you want to go fast and do it in style it only costs money!

THANKS for the lead to the website on the EK4. Guy, it's late got to run. Keep in touch My e-mail is: gwilliams@interphasepi.com

I can hear my wife now......

Regards,

Gary

:D

sandman4free1
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sandman4free1 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:55 am

can you list what you are running plug wise and fuel? I have a friend with one that I worked on to get running right. also seal the carb and back plate if you haven't done so already. sand isn't the best for them but I haven't had any problems yet. keep an eye on the clutch bell bearings the clutch heats up fast and wears the bearings out fast. as far as air filters go I only use the RB filters they seem to work best but the ofna filter is close if you can get the 2 piece foam set in one bag (both white,outer thin) stay away from the big grey ofna outer foam filter it doesn't work well at all......sand goes through it!. I will try to post some needle settings as soon as I can ....midmadn is east coast so the settings will be way off.

banshee2001
1st Gear Member

Post by banshee2001 » Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:22 pm

Please post your carb needle settings I have been trying to get my EK to run for some time now and had no luck. I tried the settings that midmad has and hand no luck.

Thanks

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup » Thu Nov 06, 2003 1:24 am

When you guys say you can't get your ek4 to run, do you mean run correctly or run at all? Can you at least get it to fire a little? Is it hard to turn over when your trying to start it, maybe feels like it has a bunch of compression and just about locks up? The ek4 has that drill starter, right?
Guy Chrest

sandman4free1
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sandman4free1 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:30 am

I should have my hands on the engine tomorrow so I will post west coast needle settings with the larger head from msj.
if it hydro locks the best way to clear it is remove the plug and crank it for a few seconds(watch you eyes) then re install the glow plug. use the os8 plug it seems to work the best here.

sandman4free1
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sandman4free1 » Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:54 am

san diego needle settings top end 2 1/2-3/4 out from lightly bottemed. low end 3 out from bottemed. os8 plug and cool power 30% heli fuel. this was also useing the msj big head.
hope this helps

banshee2001
1st Gear Member

Post by banshee2001 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:11 am

Where do you get your cool power 30% heli fuel from?

sandman4free1
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sandman4free1 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:05 am

discount hobby wherehouse in sandiego off convoy street just south of balboa ave.

Return to “Radio Control Toys, Monster Trucks & Model Rockets”