Quarter Scale R/C Truck Pics. Anybody remember these?

Technical Discussion Forum for Radio Controled Vehicles & Aircraft

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Quarter Scale R/C Truck Pics. Anybody remember these?

Post by Winston Cup » Wed Feb 11, 2004 10:51 pm

These are some old pics of a Quarter Scale Specialties truck I used to race around about 1990 or so. This truck was the first of it's kind back then as far as Off road was concerned with a full tube chassis, solid rear axle w/quick change rear end, a-arms etc etc. Lots of travel. Fiberglass body patterned after the Mickey trucks. Powered by a weed eater motor this thing hauled. The nearest thing to it was the converted dirt track oval cars, but those were real heavy, had like zero travel and as long as we'd stay runnin we'd lap those trucks. Totally awesome truck and an absolute blast to drive. If you lost control of one of these things chances are you did damage to somebody or something, lol. Problem was, these QRS trucks were so fragile you couldn't keep em together for more than a few laps.

I still have the truck, although it's pretty much toast. The last run was at anahiem stadium for an exhibition race and right after taking the win while crossing the finish line jump me and one of the other trucks that I was racing against tangled and it went right into the concrete k-rail the genuises enclosed the track with. Chassis was totaled among other things. Haven't paid attention to whether or not they kept makin' these and if they're any better now, they have to be I would think, lol. I'd like to build another the right way sometime though.

These were taken just after one of the many times the fiberglass was fixed and repainted. A real hassel to keep up with. They didn't use lexan for these monsters back then.
In the pic below, the black number 5 truck in front of me is one of the converted circle track cars. Real heavy, no travel and not near as fast but they didn't break nearly as much as the QRS trucks like ours did though either. The man in the red ball cap to my left is the person who built the QRS trucks. Can't remember his name, nice guy from what I remember though.
Last edited by Winston Cup on Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Chrest

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:19 pm

:D I remember those! They were a real blast to watch, just stay alert because as you said they could hurt you really bad!
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:46 pm

Greg Hall wrote::D I remember those! They were a real blast to watch, just stay alert because as you said they could hurt you really bad!
Yep, I could tell ya some stories of a few times when that thing got away from me :lol:

Like the time the battery for the servos died and it shot across a major highway full tilt, right between two cars going in opposing directions. It was like some stunt from a movie. I couldn't of timed it better if I tried.

You'll be driving it around, the huge servos loose juice and it always seems to happen when the throttles WFO, probably because it's always at WFO :roll: , and then it's like "oh shhhhhiii..." :shock:
Guy Chrest

Return to “Radio Control Toys, Monster Trucks & Model Rockets”