HPI,Associated or the soon to be released CEN ??

Technical Discussion Forum for Radio Controled Vehicles & Aircraft

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Nic
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

HPI,Associated or the soon to be released CEN ??

Post by Nic »

So I am new to the world of nitro rc cars. I went looking at my local hobby shop and they showed me the t-max,savage, Associated's gas monster and the flyer for the soon to be released CEN Genesis. Has any body heard anyhting about these? .46 engin, 3 spd tranny. supposedly going to run $550 RTR. should I wait for this truck to come out or should I consider the other trucks? So far I liked the associated and the savage. Any help would be awesome.

thanks,
Nic

Goodwrench3
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Goodwrench3 »

Hey Nic I just bought the Savage and so far I love it. It was little tricky during the brake in period but now it works awsome, I still need to adjust more on the shifting but other then that its pretty fun truck.

Good luck

Ken

Bob Tenwick
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Bob Tenwick »

Stay away from the Associated... Go for the T-Maxx or the Savage, I haven't heard of the Genesis.

My vote... Savage.

Nic
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Nic »

Bob why stay away from the associated? Back in the day I used to love my rc10t. Apparently CEN makes alot of aftermarket parts for the big name guys and has the fastest rtr street car out. 73 mph. I liked the fact that the CEN has real working reservoirs. I will wait to see what I get in response to my e-mail to them.

Bob Tenwick
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Bob Tenwick »

I guess I've just heard the Monster GT breaks easy. Honestly I've never seen one run.

Did you say 3 speed tranny on the CEN?

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

Looks interesting....

http://www.cenracing.com/cars/genesis/genesis.html

Chassis and Transmission:
Chassis: Aerospace grade material throughout chassis components
Brake: 4 Disk Brake System
Drive Axles: Special engineered composit, Light Weight Telescoping Drive Shafts and center shafts
Drivetrain: Harden, Ultra "Gliding" Drive System
Transmission: 3 speed forward/reverse
Bearing: Full Precision Ball Bearings
Differential: Sealed, 3 fluids filled, low CG, Front, Rear and Center Differentials
Engine and Accessory
.46 Big Block Rear exhaust engine
Racing Tuned Pipe
High flow manifold
Fuel Tank: 220cc fuel tank
Electric/shaft Starting System (Optional)
Wheel and Tire
High 7 1/2 inch tires
Chrome Spacious Wheels
Suspension
4 wheel indenpendent suspension
"Dimension X" 10 coil-Overs system (8 harden adjustable Racing Shocks + Front and Rear dual center mounted shocks with reservoirs)
Electric:
Newly Engineered
CEN Impact C3 radio system with metal gear high torque servos

Front Susppension:
Adjustable Camber
Adjustable Toe
Multiple Shock-mounting positions (including upper and lower suspension arms positions)
Adjustable Shock mounts
Heavy Duty fron Skid Plate
High Torque Servos

Rear Suspension
Adjustable Camber
Adjustable Toe
Multiple Shock-mounting positions (including upper and lower suspension arms positions)
Adjustable Shock mounts
Heavy Duty fron Skid Plate
High Torque Servos

.46 Big Block Engine
7.7cc displacement
True ABC Construction
Rear Exhaust
Slide Carb.
13 fins Giant Cooling head combined with special designed external engine block ensured efficient cooling
Massive wheelie pulling bottom end Torque combine with massive top end power
Convient Pull Start system (Shaft start available optional)
High Efficient Foam element air filter
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

My suggestion would be to stay away from any of the ones that are simply stadium or buggy type chassis that have just been converted to run big tires. Those are a joke. Zero travel.

That CEN is a big truck, like larger than 1/8th scale but not quite 1/4 scale. Like to see it in person.

As far as the reservoirs, I've checked out a few of these shocks with reservoirs and they were nothing more than a hole going to another chamber that holds more oil. Basically they're a worthless marketing gimmick.

Don't make the same mistake alot of Thunder Tiger owners made. Big truck, tons of horsepower, but it can't stay together for more than 8 seconds at a time.

Another big thing to consider is availablity of cool aftermarket parts. In this category you can't beat the T-Maxx. " What's in my wallet?", not a **** thing after I leave the hobby store. :shock:

I personally haven't checked out the Savage yet but Bob seems to like his. Of course that may change after he see's the tail end of mine.
Guy Chrest

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

I might be wrong but it looks like there are a number of weak areas on the Genesis that may set it back some.

The four wheel steering is one of the main areas that I would take a closer look at.

For the $539.95 price I have seen, I would venture to bet that CEN is looking to make their actual profit margin on replacement parts instead of on the initial purchase.
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

Nic
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Nic »

Greg, Just out of curiosity where did you see the release price? I was conserned also about the four wheel steering. According to the local hobby store guy CEN has been making quality aftermarket parts for quite a while. Is this true? I havent been involved in RC's for a few years so I am very out of the loop and looking to get back in.

sandman4free1
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sandman4free1 »

4 wheel steering will not be fun to deal with. the biggest factor of this one is the weight!. it's heavy. heavy and big jumps= many broken parts. I think the money is better spent on a savage,maxx or the new xtm truck.

Nic
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Nic »

well I went with the Savage. After thoroughly breaking it in I have to say this thing is awesome. Alot better than the old electric cars I used to race. Thanks for all of your advice. What parts should I take with me on trips? Should I run four wheel paddles or just two when I take it in the sand?

sandman4free1
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by sandman4free1 »

I think that the paddles are just for show. if you must run then then only 2. with 4 it makes steering hard. best bet is run stock maxx tires backwards, they can be found on ebay real cheap too. I have a set of paddles that look real cool but I don't like to run them....it creates a wheelie machiene, and I spend more time flipping it over than driving it.

Return to “Radio Control Toys, Monster Trucks & Model Rockets”