Technical Discussion Forum for Radio Controled Vehicles & Aircraft

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

MCD? And Model Rockets

Post by crash »

Anybody have one of these? They look really cool......and should be for the $2500 price tag!!! :shock:

Here's a link: http://www.largescalerc.com/MCD4x4MonsterTruck.html

Only problem is, from what I can gather, it is made in Turkey? Seems like parts might be hard to come by, and in all the videos I have seen, no one has dared bash the things like I know you can with a Traxxas. I can also buy 5 Revos for the price of 1 of these. The no nitro and pull start thing is really cool though. If you watch some of the videos the size becomes apparent. This thing is BIG.

Any info at all would be great.

Also-MODERATORS-you think this would be a good place to talk about rockets? Maybe add that to the title?

In any case, I got out to OW this weekend and the neighbors were shooting off model rockets. My son LOVED them. So I guess I'm going to be doing some of those again. I haven't done those in probably 25 years. Any recommendations? I see that engines now come in "e" "f" and "g" sizes and the rockets are HUGE. I also see reloadable engines and burn times of up to 80 seconds with altitudes above 4000 feet. :shock: :shock:

Any you guys used these things?
Last edited by crash on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Hall

Re: MCD?

Post by Greg Hall »

Really cool but....$2500.!!! Just think of the trouble it would cause to play on the same playground as smaller scale trucks!

As for the rockets, my son got me back into those a couple of years ago and yes they have really changed since the days when I was first involved back in late 70's early 80's where we had to pour our own engines to get some real power.
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

crash wrote:Also-MODERATORS-you think this would be a good place to talk about rockets? Maybe add that to the title?
Easily done, and entirely appropriate

8)
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

crash

Post by crash »

Yeah, I just couldn't see spending that much coin on a toy I can't sit in. Although it's so big, my son might be able to sit ON it. :lol: For now I'll stick to the tried and severely tested Revo.

We were actually down at the Plaster City area of Ocotillo, not the OWVRA. It struckme that we were to the west of the El Centro military base and that they might get a hair about those high fliers. I don't think the neighbors flew anything over 1000 feet, but does anyone know the regs for the high fliers? I mean 4000 feet one must have to have some sort of license or something?

jhitesma

Re: MCD? And Model Rockets

Post by jhitesma »

The motors actually get a lot bigger than that...just not in CA due to the states super strict fire codes. In fact launching model rockets in CA legally requires that you do it as part of a club with permission from the fire marshal. DART flies at Plaster City and Mission Island on a regular basis (they're the SD based NAR club - models up to G size) and Tripoli San Diego is at Plaster City monthly (they're the TRA associated club who fly the BIG toys.)

The annual Plaster Blaster event at Plaster city is incredible. I've made it out there twice. Missed last year since it was a week before my wedding and Amy didn't want me looking like a lobster for the wedding (I tend to get pretty sunburned at PB!)

Here are some local resources:

http://www.dartrocketry.com/
http://www.tripolisandiego.org/
http://plasterblaster.com/

They don't usually update the PB website until a month or two before the event, so don't pay attention to the dates :D

Oh, not only are there bigger motors...but there are also fancier propellant formulations. Just about anything over a D will be an ammonia perchlorate based propellant - basically the same stuff the shuttle used in it's SRB's. But to get anything over a G you have to have to get licensed through a club, and to store motors over a G you have to have a BATF license with a storage bunker and give the BATF permission to search your location with no advance notice. Since 9/11 things have gotten even tricker so now most motor sales are done on site at events.

Some of the new propellant forumlations are really neat to watch though:

The easy way around the BATF issues are to fly Hybrids - they use inert fuel with nitrous oxide as an oxidiser:

Don't forget though...rocketry is a hobby for people who don't mind smashing their sometimes VERY expensive (G motors are about $20-$25 a flight. M's, the biggest they fly at Ocotillo, can be $150-$200!) toys into tiny pieces:

(that last one was a large scale BOMARC that flew on an M motor - note the missing wing)

If all you've ever seen are the old school Estes rockets you really should check out one of these launches. These things don't just "whoosh" like the little BP motors...they roar. And they don't just disappear off the pad either, the big ones with big motors do slow majestic lift-offs before they suddenly shoot off.

Plaster Blaster usually includes a couple of special events. Like BIG models:

2005 featured a large scale Little Joe.

(They kept the flight low on purpose - they wanted people to be able to see the entire flight including the ejection of the escape tower.)

That same year they also broke another record, one for most rockets launched at one time. (They already held the record previously but wanted to one-up themselves.)

They gave out prizes to kids for bringing back the rockets to make cleanup easier on that one!

2005 they had a large scale soviet moon rocket, a large scale Saturn V (that unfortunately didn't get to fly) and a 1/4 scale Space Shuttle with R/C glide on the orbiter. Unfortunately the shuttle flew before I got there and made a less than graceful landing into the side of a Volkswagen. Those tubes on the table in front of the Soviet rocket are the motors that would be going into it.

All of my photos from 2006 are here:
http://www.dunephotos.com/gallery/1982651_ujJP8

And 2005 is here:
http://www.dunephotos.com/gallery/853328_cUoWA
It's usually the 1st weekend in October. Since it's Ocotillo riding is available and quite a few people bring out ATV's and buggies.

For the real big rockets though...look up BALLS and LRDS. They fly out of Black Rock NV (Where Burning man happens) and other places outside of CA so they're not restricted to M motors.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Oh yeah...my own fleet...not as impressive as the big guys:

The two stager with the flourscent orange upper stage isn't finished...it's a prototype known as a "piston stager" that tries to recapture the exhaust gasses from the upper stage to give it an extra boost. It was a little ahead of it's time though. Designed in the mid 80's before the electronics to do the kind of staging it needs were readily available in a small enough package.

The grey one and the black/green one have never flown. The grey one is a scale Sandia Sandhawk...I really need to finish painting it one day. It can fly on up to an H motor. The black/green one is almost all motor mount and can take some VERY big motors. Both of them are based on a 3" body tube. The Sandhawk can take up to a 29mm diameter motor while the black/green one can handle up to 56mm (2.25") motors. They're both built to handle any length of motor that will fit in the body tube and they both come down in two parts with separate chutes. The black/green one is designed to survive supersonic flight.

They're also both rather hard to find. The sandhawk was made by a company called Mountainside Hobbies that made some outstanding and affordable kits. They designed them so they could be flown on smaller motors in smaller fields or bigger motors in open areas. Unfortunately they grew too big too fast and closed down. The Black/green one is a Sonic 3100 from USRockets who are a VERY controversial company due to their very outspoken founder who does not get along very well with the leaders of most rocketry organizations. (many long stories there - but basically it all comes down to his interpretation of BATF regs are not the same as most peoples.) Side note: USR did all the rocket effects for The Running Man. http://v-serv.com/usr/therunningman.htm

After spending as much time and money as I did on them it's kind of hard to get up the nerve to fly them. Plus I didn't have access to a large enough field. And the motors are $$$$. One of these years I'll fly the sandia at Plaster Blaster. The Sonic...I dunno...maybe someday...but it will be a ways off!

Oh and that big triangle in the back of my fleet photo? That's a Edmunds Delta Thunder. Rob Edmunds makes some of my favorite kits...they're all gliders of one kind or another and are usually very affordable and easy to build/fly. I've had two of his Deltie's which are the smaller version...but one flew too far and disappeared while the other was a casualty of an excited kid who sat on it. I haven't flown the Thunder yet...only because I haven't found a big enough field.

For now I'm really enjoying the unusual kit designs from Fliskits like their legendary Deuce with it's angled motors:

Their UFFO is also a lot of fun...flys on small cheap motors and is super cheap to repair:

It also makes for a dandy tree topper:

But what I'm REALLY having fun with lately are the Micromaxx rockets. The motors are TINY but cheap. When I find them on sale I buy them by the dozen. I can easily fly them in my own backyard. Heck I launched one under my RV shade! (It hit the roof and scooted around for a second since it could have gone higher.)

The little pink squares have been flown dozens of times. They're folded out of a piece of heavy weight paper and cost next to nothing. The motors I found on sale at 6 for $2 and stocked up. But that was a one time deal from someone closing out on carrying them. Best deal right now is from Fliskits who will sell you 5 six packs for just under $30. Still the best deal in rockets!

crash

Post by crash »

I just ordered an "E-liminator" E powered rocket and a couple Aerotech E30-7Ts. Don't now if I'll have the balls to fly that engine, but the ad said that this rocket could be flown on Ds also. I have a three inch tubed "AIM" replica that has a triple D cluster setup. I only flew it once about 15-20 years ago. It ripped all the wings off. I repaired it right after and it's just been sitting. I just bought about 40 motors and a couple smaller rockets for the kids. I also got one of the SR-71 kits as I always wanted to build one of those. Yeah they're alot of work, but ya know what? They were built to fly, not just look pretty on the shelf. I'll take pictures so I can remember them when they were in one piece. :D

I know it's not really kosher, but in my younger days I used to make large bottle rockets out of the 1/2 A engines and me and my buddies would see if we could hit targets. Lots of fun, not very safe. Don't think I will show the kids that one......I'm sure they'll figure it out for themselves. :shock: :D

crash

Post by crash »

The hybrids look pretty cool. :D

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

crash wrote:I just ordered an "E-liminator" E powered rocket and a couple Aerotech E30-7Ts. Don't now if I'll have the balls to fly that engine, but the ad said that this rocket could be flown on Ds also. I have a three inch tubed "AIM" replica that has a triple D cluster setup. I only flew it once about 15-20 years ago. It ripped all the wings off. I repaired it right after and it's just been sitting. I just bought about 40 motors and a couple smaller rockets for the kids. I also got one of the SR-71 kits as I always wanted to build one of those. Yeah they're alot of work, but ya know what? They were built to fly, not just look pretty on the shelf. I'll take pictures so I can remember them when they were in one piece. :D
The E30's aren't that much different than a large D. The techniques for building for the bigger motors are a little different due to the higher specific impulses encountered. Heavier tubing for the body or sometimes fiberglass, phonelic or even carbon and kevlar fiber reinforcement...and in some cases even used for entire airframes. I had an all phenlic 24mm minimum diameter and height model that was incredible. Could fly on A's and B's with an adapter since it was so small and light - but was strong enough to handle E's and some F's (not many F's available in 24mm at the time though IIRC.) I flew it on an E once. It was a clear day and we had 6 people tracking...but no one was able to follow it completely so we lost it. Wherever it landed it's probably still there since it was all composite material with a paint job designed to protect it's vulnerabilities. Had my phone number and address in the waterproof nose - but I haven't lived there in a long time now :D

Back on track though...the fins are usually going to be either composite sheets or aviation plywood. Instead of being attached to the body the fins will usually pass through the body and attach to the motor mount. So instead of one glue fillet holding each fin you'll ideally end up with 3 if you build carefully. Except in minimum diameter kits where the bodytube is the same size as the motor tube - on those you just about have to use some kind of composite reinforcement to keep the fins from ripping off - and quite often an entire composite unit is used for the fins and motor mount.

I'm not familiar with your kit...my first larger rocket was the Aerotech initiator which you can see in my photo. It's the black one with white fins and nose in the front. It no longer looks like a normal initiator due to some unintended modifications after it's first flight (my first higher power flight.)

Moving up in power I was a little wary and wanted to play things safe. So I went with one of the smaller motors recommended for the model. The store I was buying from only had the longer delay in stock and I thought that would be fine. I had smaller fields back in Ohio and usually tried to use as long of a delay as possible so it wouldn't drift away and into trees. What I didn't know was that Aerotech was notorious at the time for "bonus delays" that burnt too long - so my already aggressively late opening ended up happening just after it hit the ground.

It got dark before we could find it...and it then rained for 3 weeks before I could get back out to search again. We found it laying on the ground with the top 3" of the body crushed from the front next to a perfect 3" hole. 3" down in the hole we found the nosecone and parachute. The original nosecone is about 2" shorter than it originally was and I had to cut 3" off the body. The replacement nosecone I'm using now is about 4" shorter than the original. So my initiator is about 7" shorter than it should be. But it's still a very stable and reliable flyer!

I also had a 4" diameter rocket make a 90 degree turn off the top of the launch rod and come right at us due to an underpowered motor. (I used a black smoke motor with lower impulse - but the super wide rocket needed more kick to get off the pad instead of the long sustained burn my choice gave it.)

Flying at the bottom end of a rockets ability can be just as challenging as flying at it's high end, sometimes more. The jump from D to E isn't much different than D to F due to the jump going from BP to AP propellant. So I say dive in :D
I know it's not really kosher, but in my younger days I used to make large bottle rockets out of the 1/2 A engines and me and my buddies would see if we could hit targets. Lots of fun, not very safe. Don't think I will show the kids that one......I'm sure they'll figure it out for themselves. :shock: :D
Pretty much as long as you can provide for a means of safe recovery and stable flight it's kosher. There are guys who fly M powered versions of the little mini-cube's I folded out of paper. They had a drag race of them one year at Plaster Blaster even.

For a stick you have to provide some means to make sure it doesn't come in ballistic. Look at the small tumble recovery models - the same techniques can be used with bigger motors too. I'll admit to having made a rocket out of one of my crutches and a G motor to celebrate no longer needing them - but I won't try to pass it off as model rocketry either [-o<

FWIW - A motor on a stick is actually a very stable rocket. The stick acts like one long fin and shifts the center of pressure (CP) past the center of gravity (CG) resulting in stable flight. (or did I get that backwards....it's been a few years...I forget if it's the CP or the CG that shifts and which is supposed to be more forward. It's an easy google though for those who are interested.) The big issue with flying one legally is providing for safe recovery. Super easy on an A or smaller model...just make it pop out the motor and it will go unstable, it's all light and cool enough to usually be safe.

But not necessarily in the dry southwest. And bigger motors stay hot longer at higher temperatures sometimes even with red hot metal parts. So just popping them out isn't a smart idea. Not to mention past 29mm you tend to buy reloadable motors instead of single use. So that's an expensive re-usable casing you want to protect, not just drop on the ground from a 1,000ft up.

Plus the size of stick you need to stabilize a motor that size is substantial....not the sliver of bamboo you find on a bottle rocket which is more likely to give you a splinter than a lump on the head.

A lot of people have fun in trying to find the limits and engineering a way to lower them ;)

crash

Post by crash »

Thanks for all the info J. I'm pretty sure the E rocket I got is standard construction as it only cost $20. I did look at some that were a couple hundred bucks. I was wondering if upgraded materials was the cause of the expense? Sounds like it probably is. In any case, I mail ordered so they won't be here for a couple weeks due to HAZMAT rules.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Yeah I did a search on the rocket you got. It appears to have a solid plastic fin canister with molded fins and appears to be pretty close to minimal diameter for a 29mm motor...but I'm guessing it's sized to only accept 24mm motors.

I'm guessing it still has a lighter weight bodytube. Estes only recommends their E9 motors with it which aren't much more than a high end D. Infact a common D12 will have more specific impulse. The E9 has more power overall...but it's spread out more. Kind of like a lower gear on a transmission. The D12 has less overall power but delivers it in a shorter more powerful burst.

The E30's you have on order are MUCH more powerful motors and may well rip the entire fin unit right off - they may not even fit as Estes usually uses dual ended motor hooks that limit the length of motor you can use.

With an E30 in that model I wouldn't expect more than one flight. If it doesn't shred the model it will probably never be retrieved without a radio tracker. Should be a heck of a fun flight either way though :D

This is rocket science so I won't go too far into details and exceptions. But in general the letter rating of a motor gives you an idea of the overall power delivered - each letter you go up you double the possible power delivered. The number however tells you how that power is delivered. Smaller numbers indicate longer burn times and more sustained boost while larger numbers indicate short, "explosive" releases.

The letter can be misleading though, it doesn't show the actual overall power delivered, just the highest possible. The number can also be misleading as it's the average thrust rather than the maximum thrust achieved.

The NAR has info on all legal motors which includes graphs of the impulse delivered to help pick good motors for a rocket.

Here's the page on the E9 Estes suggests with your rocket:
http://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/E9.pdf

The E9 is still a black powder motor like the A-D offerings from Estes. They also have a reputation for CATO's (rocket term for big boom on the launch pad) as a result. Packing the BP in that size gets much more difficult making the motors less reliable. The motor has an over 3 second burn time which is quite long. But it maxes out at 20newtons delivered for a split second in the first half second it's burning - then it drops down to 10newtons for most of it's burn.

For comparision here's the common D12 that you probably remember as the largest available motor the last time you probably saw rockets:
http://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/D12.pdf

Not it actually makes more peak power than the E9 hitting 30n, and it has the same 10n sustain for most of it's burn. But burns for less than 1.75 seconds total.

Now the E30's that you have coming, those are the most powerful E available. In fact in some ways they're more powerful than some F motors:
http://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/Aerotech/E30.pdf

The burn profile is also MUCH different. Instead of the instant kick and then low sustain of a BP motor you get more high power sustain at the begining that slowly tapers off the entire burn. But that burn is over in less than 1.25 seconds! It makes nearly 50n at it's peak and for over half it's burn it's above 40n - 10n more than the instantaneous force the recomended E9 delivers! This is a MUCH more aggressive motor than the E9 estes sells!

The E30 delivers more power in 1 second than the model you've purchased is designed to withstand over 3 seconds. That's a HUGE difference at these scales.

Looking at numbers instead of graphs:

E9 - Total Impulse about 28newton seconds
E30 - Total Impuse 40ns.

I'd highly suggest getting a different model to fly those E30's in. Even in my Initiator I'd be wary of one of those motors in most flying fields.

crash

Post by crash »

Yeah that's pretty much gonna be the capper to the flight session......the E30! :D I figured the plastic wing assembly has a better chance of holding together. I only ordered two and figured I'd be lucky to get one off. If that works and is retrieved, it most likely won't handle a second flight, but I will probably give it a try. I like to finish things off with some excitement.......while everyone, including me, is hiding behind some cover! :D Thanks for the info on the engines. I always thought the first number corresponded to the amount of burn time and the second number to the amount of coast time before ejection. I guess 12 seconds of burn time WOULD be pretty ridiculous. :mrgreen: Do you know if there are smaller Ds available than the 12? I haven't found any, but would like to so as not to blow my cluster rocket apart again.

crash

Post by crash »

Doesn't look like Estes offers much in variety in the D size. I think the Aro D9 would probably suit the cluster pretty well. Comes on soft and tapers off soft. What do you think? For the triple cluster, that is?

BTW- I HATE the clips, and pretty much won't use them. I haven't done this in 20 years, but I DO remember that. I'll just use a block tube and spacers for the smaller engines.....it says the E30 is shorter than the E9. :)

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I don't fly many D's...so I'm not sure what all is out there in that size. The NAR list is a good comprehensive list of everything that's legal to fly...but that doesn't necessarily mean you can find them. Eventually they drop motors off the list if they're no longer commercially available, but even then they keep them on for awhile so people can use up the ones they've already bought.

Just realized I forgot to include the link to the full list:
http://www.nar.org/SandT/NARenglist.shtml

There's also a good page there about how to read the codes:
http://www.nar.org/NARmotors.html

That D9 is a reload, so you'll have to buy the casing ($20-$30 or so last time I checked) and will want to make sure you get it back. If you're flying a cluster you'll need a casing for each motor. Gets pricey quick. The other problem is AP motors don't ignite as reliably as BP motors. So they can be risky in clusters unless you use some tricks to make sure they ignite.

As for getting rid of the motor hook, masking tape is your friend. The way most of the high power guys do it is to wrap a few layers of tape around the end of the motor to build up a ring the same thickness as the OD of the motor tube (Remember they're not using the paper thin Estes tubes but rather 1/16-1/4" thick tubes) And then just a layer or two of tape over that to keep the ejection charge from popping it out. That way you can use any length motor.

The catch is on some smaller models you have to be careful that you don't end up making the motor stick too far out when you do it that way. The weight shift can toss the CG/CP relationship out of whack and cause the model to go unstable.

Here's some info on stability and how to make sure you have a safe flight:
http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/educati ... tstab.html
http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/educati ... stabc.html

Finding the center of gravity is easy, just find the point where the model hangs level when tied on a string. Finding the center of pressure is more difficult. Your best bet is modeling software. But on simple models a cut-out test can get you close. Basically you cut out a flat "shadow" of the rocket and find the CG of that - which is usually close to the CP of the actual model. You need the CP to be at least 1.5 times the diameter of the model behind of the CG for stability. So if you have a 3" body tube you need the CP about 4.5" behind the CG.

On the size of models we're talking about moving the motor back 1/2" (by taping it instead of using a clip) you can sometimes shift the CG quite a bit. On a simple rocket like your E-liminator that shouldn't be a big issue, you should have quite a bit of leeway. But on some more exotic models very small changes can cause big problems. Thankfully there's a super easy solution - just add some weight to the nose to shift the CG forward.

The most common quick stability check is the "Swing test". Just tie a string around the rocket at it's CG and then swing it in a circle around your head. If the rocket tracks straight and flys level you're good. If it goes sideways or backwards...you need to get your CG closer to the nose.

It isn't cheap...but if you get into a lot of your own designs or want to experiment with motors that aren't recommended a copy of Rocksim is a great idea:
http://www.apogeerockets.com/RockSim.asp

It lets you use the actual motor burn data from the NAR to simulate flights complete with atmospheric conditions. Wish I had used it on that 4" model that came straight at us...I would have known that the blackjack motor I picked was way to gentle of a burn for a safe flight!

They have a 30 day free trial, could be enough for you to model your cluster model and see how it would do:
http://www.apogeerockets.com/rocksim_demo.asp

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

BTW - here's a model file for your E-liminator if you want to give Rocksim a try:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/rocksim/es ... inator.rkt

And a review of it:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/ki ... ator.shtml

That site has a TON of info on commonly available (and some not so common) kits. The flight logs on there for your e-liminator show that it can survive an E30...but it can even fly on a big C in a smaller field.

One of my all time favorite models was this one:
http://v-serv.com/usr/kits/fire_forget.htm

Thanks to googles usenet archive my flight report of that kit being flown on A-D motors still survives:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.mode ... 91c974c756

crash

Post by crash »

Maybe I could shim up some Bs or Cs instead of using the Ds in the cluster. Whata ya think? Do they have simple adaptors for this, or do I need to go the masking tape route?

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

24mm-18mm motor adapters are very common. Just takes a tube and 2 centering rings of the proper size. Most hobby shops that have rocketry supplies can sell you what you need for a buck or two. Or like you said, a few wraps of masking tape can do the job.

In fact, on <D sized models friction fitting the motors is common, just using a wrap or two of masking tape to make a tight fit without using any tape to hold the motor in. The forces are low enough that friction works just fine. But don't try that on anything over a D, some form of retainment is pretty much required at that point!

I probably have a 24-18 adapter here somewhere, just not sure where all that kind of stuff is boxed up. For my Sonic 3100 with it's 54mm mount I have a 38mm adapter, a 29mm adapter, and a 3-24mm adapter. I think I know where they are...I'll try and dig them up tonight to get some photos. I think they're in the box with my 1/72 scale Shuttle (one of these days I really need to finish that beast!)

BTW - I think this may beat your motor on a stick:
http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/sc ... _hat.shtml

crash

Post by crash »

Yeah, well, I also HAD to buy a Porta Pot Shot rocket because it was so funny to me. :mrgreen:

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

Ok...Plaster Blaster is on my schedule! October 2,3,4 & 5

Looks like a blast!
Greg Hall
KG6IAT

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
LT 500..all mine

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Greg Hall wrote:Ok...Plaster Blaster is on my schedule! October 2,3,4 & 5

Looks like a blast!
Did you find an official announcement of this years dates? Or are we just going on history/momentum in setting our calendar dates?

Dwayne (djw) came out a year or two and with his son and had a great time, we were going to meet up there again last year but since he was doing the DJ thing for my wedding and I was doing the groom thing neither of us made it. But this year looks wide open.

Maybe we can get a camp of dune people together? Hopefully someone will have an RV and A/C this year too :D

crash

Post by crash »

Just bought my adapters. Only found one place online that hadum. Plenty for the bigger engines but not for the D and smaller stuff. They were $2.50. I got a couple extra. :D

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

jhitesma wrote:
Greg Hall wrote:Ok...Plaster Blaster is on my schedule! October 2,3,4 & 5

Looks like a blast!
Did you find an official announcement of this years dates? Or are we just going on history/momentum in setting our calendar dates?

Dwayne (djw) came out a year or two and with his son and had a great time, we were going to meet up there again last year but since he was doing the DJ thing for my wedding and I was doing the groom thing neither of us made it. But this year looks wide open.

Maybe we can get a camp of dune people together? Hopefully someone will have an RV and A/C this year too :D
From the Tripoli-San Diego website:

2008 Launch Dates
January – 4, 5 & 6
February – 1, 2 &3
March – (Feb) 29, (Mar) 1 &2
April – 4, 5 & 6
May – 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Annual joint launch with DART)
June – 6, 7 & 8
July – no launch
August – no launch
September – 5, 6 & 7
October – 2, 3, 4 & 5 (Plaster Blaster)
November – (Oct) 31, (Nov) 1 & 2
December – 5, 6 & 7
Greg Hall
KG6IAT

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
LT 500..all mine

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Ahh, I didn't think to check their schedule :D Too obvious ;)

Putting it on my calendar now. Maybe I'll even get a membership with their club and see if I can't get some paint on my sandhawk so I won't feel bad about flying it ;)

djw
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by djw »

We had a great time in 06.

Our camp was back from the fire line, but still had a few visitors. 8)
Well, unlike that caravan that Little Joe landed on.

The night launches were alot of fun, low power fm to listen in on the events.
I believe there was a wireless sat pop too.
djw
W8AME

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

djw wrote:We had a great time in 06.
The night launches were alot of fun, low power fm to listen in on the events.
I believe there was a wireless sat pop too.
Yep, there were actually two people with open Wi-fi off their satellite out there.

And I had my DRM radio running for RNZI (Radio New Zealand) when it came on...but by then we were ready for bed :D

crash

Post by crash »

We musta launched 40 rockets this last weekend. The largest was a G in a rocket that was about 18" long and designed for a D. :mrgreen: It had balsa fins that were epoxied on and did well. We flew it twice with only minor repairs needed. The cluster just wouldn't ignite properly no matter what I did. The E I had was definitely the biggest punch engine there. It almost sounded like an explosion when it took off. If you look at the power curve Jason pointed me to you will see why. Almost 50 newtons in the first 1/10 of a second!! :D :shock: Only lost one, and had a BLAST! :mrgreen:

Return to “Radio Control Toys, Monster Trucks & Model Rockets”