Technical Discussion Forum for Radio Controled Vehicles & Aircraft

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

THE BOMB
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

WHICH TRUCK/BUGGY?

Post by THE BOMB »

I'm looking at getting a gas RC to play with at the dunes, but which one is best suited for sand dunes? Should I get 4WD or 2WD? Do they make paddle tires or isn't it neccessary? Also should I get a monster truck or a buggy/rail. The regular RC sites aren't much help. Any comments or advice are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I want to be able to climb any dune but not get carried away with price.

RiChiERich
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by RiChiERich »

There is a new truck out that may be of some interest to you. Its called the HPI Savage. It is a 1/8 scale 4wd Monster Truck. One of the great things about the Savage is that it is compatible with Traxxas Tmaxx wheels, tires and bodies. And they do have paddles for the Tmaxx. As you can see. I have a couple pair myself. There are a few things to check with the Savage. There have been reports of the 2 speed set screw coming loose in the tranny and locking up the drivetrain. But, it can simply be fixed by locktiting the screw. HPI claims to have done that, but there have been numerous reports of it coming loose. Now if you want to go with something that has been out on the market and it support by abundant amount of aftermarket parts. The Tmaxx is the way to go. As you can see Ive have quite a few things done to mine(too much..lol). The new Tmaxx does come with a new powerful engine. But is nothing compared to the Big Block power of a Savage. A Savage is also able to handle .21 size engines and larger. The Tmaxx will have to be modify extensive to do this. As far as buggies, if you want one that truly hauls butt and is not overly expensive. Go with the XTM Xterminator..it comes with probably one of the best big block engines available. The XTM 24.7. I guarantee you wont be disappointed with it. Well hope you enjoyed reading that all. Good Luck and Have Fun.

Rewipe
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Rewipe »

If you don't want to go with the monster truck or a buggy, you can always get a stadium truck. Lower profile and less likely to spend most of the time on it's roof. I have the Team Associated rc10 GT and love it. The motor is powerful enough to pull wheelies in the sand with paddles and they are proven vehicles that have been around for years. The best part is, they are a couple hundred bucks cheaper than T-MAXX and you dont need to drop a grand on hop ups to keep up with the next guy. :lol: Check them out. They also have a new monster truck that makes the T-MAXX look like a Hot Wheel.

http://www.teamassociated.com
Kevin

Return to “Radio Control Toys, Monster Trucks & Model Rockets”