We Need Waldhiem Back on the commission!!!!

Issues relating to the California Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation / Green Sticker Fund

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Wayne_Nosala
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

We Need Waldhiem Back on the commission!!!!

Post by Wayne_Nosala » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:41 am

The OHV commission, the group that controls our green and red sticker
money, recently had a member quit. This group consists of seven
appointed people all appointed by the California Governor. The OHV scales
are still tipped towards Anti-OHV people. I think all have read and witnessed
the downright craziness of what has come of our green sticker program.

We NEED a Pro-OHV person on this commission or our
green/red sticker money
will continue to go towards non-OHV agendas.

CORVA President and former member of the commission, Ed Waldheim is
willing to go back on the commission. We need to let Governor
Schwarzenegger know “WE WANT ED WALDHEIM BACK.”

We Need Ed Waldhiem Back on the Commission that controls OUR Green
sticker money period, Ed is a leader, the OHMVR needs the leadership and
direction it has been lacking to get back on track.

Please write, fax, Email, Phone the Governors office As
Soon As Possible!

The following link has all the contact info for the Governors office…

http://gov.ca.gov/

Wayne Nosala
CORVA.org

Brewster
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Brewster » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:54 am

It's too bad that Commissioner Michael F. Prizmich resigned. He was usually the least biased Commissoner at the meetings. But, if we can get Ed back on board, that would be GREAT!
The governor appointed Prizmich and therefore is responsible for replacing him. Let the Gov. know that the OHV community is backing the return of Ed Waldhiem!

Keep informed and active

Ride on
Brewster
CERA...assistant LAO

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:39 am

Email sent. :) Are we sure he is our best choice? He has been on the commission before, so there may be some resistance by people of "the other side" that know him. Who are our other choices?

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by tomjeeps2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:25 pm

"Rich"
Do I understand this correctly? This link shows the total grants
distributed out of Green Sticker funds. The money we are forced to
pay to register an Off Highway Vehicle?

I did a little math and see that out of the $18 million available a
whopping $326,874 went to trail maintenance. That's 1.8% OBSCENE!!
Where else did the money go?

Restoration (taking back trails?) 42%
Law Enforcement 22%
Planning (Gov't employees?) 16.3%
Conservation 6%
Research 4%
FOM (WHAT is that???) 4%
Equipment (mostly for LE) 2.4%
Trail Maintenance 1.8%
Education 1.1%
Development 1%

Interesting, disheartening and sickening all in one!

Information is the oxygen of the modern age. It seeps through the
walls topped by barbed wire, it wafts across the electrified borders.

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short
phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if
it stops moving, subsidize it.

Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We
didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought
for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Email sent. Are we sure he is our best choice? He has been on the commission before, so there may be some resistance by people of "the other side" that know him. Who are our other choices?
I don't know you but this last statement comes accross as waffling and weaseling. "Kidding" :wink:

Just thought you shoud know. :D

I think our Govenor needs to just remember what party he's with, we saw wath happened after he left, Arnold just needs to correct an old error :!:
The Country is ran by the few that show up.
They are lead by the even fewer that step up.

http://WWW.TEAMSTEALTH.ORG Noise issue information.
http://WWW.OHMVR.COM Total Off Road Recreation!

Tom Tammone

crash

Post by crash » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:47 pm

I know you may be kidding, but there is ALWAYS some truth underlying a comical jab.

What I'm saying is that I trust the posters here to not steer me wrong and did what I could to support "the cause". At the same time, the only reason I wrote a letter of support for Mr. Waldheim is that he was a previous member of the commission and supported by people here and by a representative of CORVA. I don't know the man, or the other choices and wanted to be educated a little more.

There are VERY few issues brought up on this BBS that I feel comfortable supporting with letters etc. The robbing of our green sticker funds is one such subject, and I would like to know more about who our "friends" are, as well as our enemies. A few of the more detailed posts that have occured on this board, I feel, may have been better distributed with PMs. Again, as I have stated on this BBS before, I don't REALLY care for PMs and prefer transparency. However, when it gets down to political workings and particulars, sometimes it may be advisable to not post some of the things I would be interested in publically. So do what you like, just remember, the other side IS watching. I prefer to keep them guessing.

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:57 pm

All I can say is look at the numbers, we saw it ED's way, and we saw it Daphne's way, just tell the Govenor what you want.

That's all it is our's to do...TJ
Last edited by tomjeeps2 on Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Tammone

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:21 pm

916-327-5296 FAX attn: appointments. The Governor's office.

In a phone Conversation they implied this was a "low priority" perhaps we can help them change that, also Stated ED would need to have an Application on file. Sounds like the old stone wall to me ](*,) , this again is not a JOB it's a political appointment, bottom line is if you want ED back on or even the vacancy filled any time soon, your going to have to make some noise...TJ :!:

Tom Tammone

Flipper
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Flipper » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:56 pm

Ed or Roy are my choices!
Did anybody ask Ed if he wants to do it? [-o< (Sorry got ahead of myself.)
I need to jump over to the CORVA site and check it out!
Plus I haven't looked around the ORBA site latley either :( .
Last edited by Flipper on Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We need to add some chlorine to the gene pool!

If you don't respect the dunes, who will respect you? Pack It In, Pack It Out

Wayne_Nosala
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Wayne_Nosala » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:46 pm

Flipper wrote:Ed or Roy are my choices!
Did anybody ask Ed if he wants to do it? [-o<
I need to jump over to the CORVA site and check it out!
Plus I haven't looked around the ORBA site latley either :( .
Ed was in Sacramento this morning, called me and asked me to
get on the web sites and post to support his appointment, so that is why I did.

Answer is yes, Ed wants to get back on the commish. Please
support him. It may take some persuading by the general public
as Tom says, but we need Ed back on this commission. We need
someone like Ed to steer this boat back on track, it has pretty much
already run aground

BTW, the Gov only appoints three of the members, one of witch is now open
Wayne Nosala
CORVA
Friends of Jawbone

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:25 am

It is my believe that the "green" still 4-3 Commission is paying us back, they our showing us the dispute the efforts to box them in, IE the scoring system they can still do whatever they want. Spitler has scripted the whole meeting, one the got by him was Goldrock outdoor schools, because of the "Y*" and "Y**" consent calendar deal even he didn't know it was going to be heard. Therefor he had no script on hand to counter it, being the numbers game this has become he just let it go, do to triage and time con-strengths. This is where our Governor really hurt us, Prizmich got reappointed in favor of Ed Waldheim, I'm certain Daphne Greene being the Governors appointee had at least some input on this. Prizmich was on tract with "the system" and ED while trying to work with it, clearly didn't like it, the Governors office is watching the program but is clearly having it's information filtered though Daphne, his appointee.

Don't get me wrong Prizmich is not a bad guy, I actually like him as a person and he is fair most of the time however, when Spitler needs the 4th vote for some key issue Prizmich is right there with him. I call this whole mess the Paul and Daphne show, she has actually not done a bad job of underhandedly trying to undermine his agenda, but she has failed. I supported the system and her at one time for this reason, but look at the numbers they got around it so in the end it failed. Don't get me wrong she works her tail off, but it would be so nice if Division could just administrate the grants, and we had a functioning Commission that we could trust to allocate the funds.

ED knew how to work with them, funny thing is the auditor's imply Spitler and ED crossed lines, in order to accomplish exactly what needed to be done. Which was expend the surplus restoration Dollars, and get as much where it was needed for trial maintenance or O&M. I never liked the idea of the audit and we have ORBAs press secretory to thank for that, Roy is a good guy but word I have is he's frustrated and ready to just throw up his hands. Let's be fair Daphne works her tail off, but again she has turned it into a prower struggle, ED at least new how to work with them and got the most done with the money that was available.

As far as the Completive process, that's what it's all about Division got lost in this scoring system, only because it was the most convenient for them, they could allocate the funds, and Deni any responsibility for making any decisions. Daphne is close to the Governors office, I'm certain her input had much to do with ED not getting reappointed, again he was just an inconvenience to her. Just like Paul Spitler needed to find a reason to cancel the Nov 18Th 2005 meeting, because it was just an inconvenience for him but at least he had a reason however, his Wife was having a kid that day.

We do need ED back, it's whats right for the program and not just what's convenient for Division, or the Governors office. Tell Division if their not going to help us them stay the hell out of it, as far as Daphne as soon as the regs are done the Governor should send her packing...TJ

Tom Tammone

crash

Post by crash » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:57 am

Here's the link to send an email.

http://www.govmail.ca.gov/

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:03 pm

Roy has been saying he's fed up and ready to give in since I got started in this fight 8 years ago. IMHO he's just crying wolf because it's the most effective way he's found to win support. Frankly I don't believe a word of it anymore having heard it far too many times. He's too committed to just give up - but awful good at making it sound like he's on the edge when he feels he needs more support.

As an off-roader I 100% agree that we need to make sure that someone pro-ohv gets this appointment.

But as a duner I sure don't think Ed is the right person to fill that slot. I don't have the time or energy to explain why I feel this way. But a search on here for "Waldheim" will give quite a good indication. Or for the Cliffs Notes this thread is a good starting place:
http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... t=waldhiem

I'd rather see an appointee who actually dunes and cares about the various dune areas in CA that desperately need attention. I'd love to see a George, or Brunasso, or McMillian or any of a number of other last names that actually frequent a wide variety of off road areas INCLUDING dunes.

Ed would be good for OHV users in general. I'll readily agree to that.

But IMHO his re-appointment would have no benefit at all to those of us who's primary form of OHV recreation happens in sand dunes. Ed's actions have spoken louder than his words and it's readily apparent that he is not a fan of sand dunes and will not lift a finger to help a dune area if he could more easily work with hardpack.

This being a sand dune board I think that's a VERY important distinction.

Yes we need all CA duners to make their voices heard and let the governor know that we want a pro-ohv appointee. But even more important is that it be a pro-dune appointee!

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:50 pm

I understand the frustration with the dunes and the Glamis area, yes I look at the big picture and supported McMillian appointment but forgot about ED, this time I supporting ED. With the current make up I feel the Dunes will have plenty of representation with ED added to the Commission (if the duners show up for the meetings). I also fought the soil loss standard changes, that would have applying for O&M funds uneconomical all together and no one from the dunes was there, come to think of it so was CJ Stewart who got ran off this BBS. ED is the only grass roots person that really understands this stuff, we could ether big up old bones forever or move on, the biggest problem EL CENTRO has right now is the funding caps, ED had nothing to do with that.

If we all wanted an appointee that just represented our part of the sport, nothing would get done, ED is the perfect balance between the cozy little inside group, and the Off Road public in general. Roy is also part of what you folks's would call the hard packers, think about it this is really the only workable option. Also it's good we do have a public forum like this, where we could air our differences, ED and myself have had ours but we forget it, when it comes down to doing what's in the best interest of the sport. One thing you can't accuse me of is pulling punches, or talking behind your back, I just come out with it when I say ED is your best option I really mean it, that don't mean I'm right but I will guarantee you this, it's real...TJ

Tom Tammone

Wayne_Nosala
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Wayne_Nosala » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:28 pm

Funny, I read all the Ed bashing on that other thread, And
I just received an Email From Ed from the DUMONT DUNES TRT meeting.

I honestly think we should stick together on some
of the issues that are out there, We may not
all agree on things, but we do need to stick together,
hence the reason we all contribute to the same legal defense

BTW, personally, I live in the dez, I love the dez, I also love the sand
My buggy and two quads have both paddles and desert tires.
I also like Desert racing, fishing and some target shooting

Just My two grains of sand worth :D

Wayne Nosala
CORVA Field rep
Friends of Jawbone canyon

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:47 am

http://www.corva.org/

March 5,2007

The OHV commission, the group that controls our green and red sticker money, recently had a member quit. This group consists of seven appointed people all appointed by the California Governor. The OHV scales are still tipped towards Anti-OHV people. I think all have read and witnessed the downright craziness of what has come of our green sticker program.
We NEED a Pro-OHV person on this commission or our green/red sticker money will continue to go towards non-OHV agendas.
CORVA President and former member of the commission, Ed Waldheim is willing to go back on the commission.

We need to let Governor Schwarzenegger know “WE WANT ED WALDHEIM BACK.”

We Need Ed Waldhiem Back on the Commission that controls OUR Green sticker money period, Ed is a leader, the OHMVR needs the leadership and direction it has been lacking to get back on track.
Please write, fax, Email, Phone the Governors office As Soon As Possible!

The following link has all the contact info for the Governors office… http://gov.ca.gov/site/contact-governor

Email the Governor: http://www.govmail.ca.gov/

Tom Tammone

HozayKwarvo
ASA Board of Directors • Vice Chairman
ASA Board of Directors • Vice Chairman

Post by HozayKwarvo » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:05 am

What cahnged that made Ed want to go back to the OHMVR commission?

He published a letter in December 2005 that stated that he was entirely done with it and that it should be abolished.

What has changed his mind?

The entire system was broken and in 2005 they did the OHMVR audit. Many OHV leaders signed a letter in September 2005 (?) regarding the audit and it's findings. Ed was one of those leaders.

At that time there was talk about abolishing the commission... but instead we were swayeed to support it and let some major overhauling ttake place. Well, that overhual looked good.. but when it came down to it the system failed miserably AGAIN... on just it's first full grant cycle since... the commision proved once and for all that it is totally corrupt and biased.

Why are we not fighting to have this thing sunset in January?

Again, what has changed Ed's mind?
Brian

ChoppedLiver

Post by ChoppedLiver » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:31 am

I'm sketchy. Ed sold us out the last time he was a commissioner. He was against the now all famous audit and he made deals with Spitler so his "baby" El Mirage would get most of what it was asking for. This caused him to get a severe and public scolding from the ASA.

However, if its between Ed and an the unknown, I'll take Ed.

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:13 pm

ME,
Far as I’m concerned it’s make it or break it, or "the grenade round" as they call the last quaffing round in top fuel, when you make the cut or you bring it home broke. These numbers don’t make the cut, let’s go for broke…TJ
ME,
Now I hear the number is 80 people for lobby day, I'll be frank bills like sb742 will sail right though (unchanged) if we don't have a good showing. The way it looks right now to me is if we can't turn this around, the only option is to just let the program sunset, it's that bad we should have over a thousand people show up for this. Less than 2% for trail maintenance come on folks, if this don't wake us up than forget about it, personally if we don't have a good turn out I'm just going to just stand down, let the program sunset...TJ
HozayKwarvo
Why are we not fighting to have this thing sunset in January?
Been there, done that...TJ

Tom Tammone

Brewster
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Brewster » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:15 pm

Thought that you folks would like to see the lists of positions that the governor and legislature appoints. It may help you to realize what level of significance the OHMVR Commission has in the overall picture.

http://gov.ca.gov/appointments/list

Keep informed and active

Ride on
Brewster
CERA...assistant LAO

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Precisely why I'm pushing folks to make some noise, my gut feeling on this is we did just that, perhaps it's just good timing that were all going to lobby day this weekend. Personally short of wining the lottery looks like this is going to be my last Howrah, I hope we make the best of it and things at least turn around, I feel I for-filled my promise to make this my big stand it life.

Be it right or be it wrong, I can say in all honesty I did my best, so to all of us the best of luck, let's kick some donkey...TJ :wink:

Quack Quack Quack.........Don't look Back.........

PHAMTOMDUCK strikes agian............... http://quietbike.org/ftp/ducks.mpeg

Tom Tammone

tomjeeps2
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by tomjeeps2 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:17 am

Just talked to Phil at the appointments Dept in the Governors office, he at least did say ED is one of the names being considered, however their not getting the message about the need to expedite this appointment. If you contacted them about this be sure to ask them to do everything in their power, to shunt the system and fill this seat before the March 24Th meeting...TJ :P

Tom Tammone

Return to “Ca. O.H.M.V.R. / Green Sticker Fund”