Rhino Discussion: Practical Dune Vehicle or Not?

Technical Discussion Forum

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Rhino Discussion: Practical Dune Vehicle or Not?

Post by norocksplease »

<NOTE: Due to a hijack :wink: , this Topic has been split from the ORBA Super Show Topic - LoBuck>

they have a rhino hall :lol:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

norocksplease wrote:they have a rhino hall :lol:
Its nice when they have let you know what halls to avoid :roll:

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by norocksplease »

Sloppyduner wrote:
norocksplease wrote:they have a rhino hall :lol:
Its nice when they have let you know what halls to avoid :roll:
Or which to spend your time in :-^

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by crash »

Funny, I heard there is now a Rhino show every weekend just to the east of Gecko. :lol: Complete with high speed stunts, a clown show, and helicopter fly ins. :lol: :lol:

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

I see the Rhino popularity as somewhat of a backlash to the big, expensive cars that we've seen the last few years.....people have a hard time figuring out what it takes to go out and have fun.....some guys can have fun on a skate board or pogo stick, while some others, can't attain that emotion in a Ferrari or Porsche :lol:
The Rhino's make sense, but they need some attention to the safety aspects in several areas, particularly in containment of occupants.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

FunRunner wrote:I see the Rhino popularity as somewhat of a backlash to the big, expensive cars that we've seen the last few years.....people have a hard time figuring out what it takes to go out and have fun.....some guys can have fun on a skate board or pogo stick, while some others, can't attain that emotion in a Ferrari or Porsche :lol:
The Rhino's make sense, but they need some attention to the safety aspects in several areas, particularly in containment of occupants.
Then why do so many of the Rhinos cost as much or MORE than all but the the biggest most expensive cars?

That's why the Rhino thing doesn't make sense to me. Why spend $50k on a golf cart when you can get a full long travel buggy for the same or less.

crash

Post by crash »

jhitesma wrote:
FunRunner wrote:I see the Rhino popularity as somewhat of a backlash to the big, expensive cars that we've seen the last few years.....people have a hard time figuring out what it takes to go out and have fun.....some guys can have fun on a skate board or pogo stick, while some others, can't attain that emotion in a Ferrari or Porsche :lol:
Then why do so many of the Rhinos cost as much or MORE than all but the the biggest most expensive cars?

That's why the Rhino thing doesn't make sense to me. Why spend $50k on a golf cart when you can get a full long travel buggy for the same or less.
Come on now....the REALLY tricked out ones are ONLY like $25k!!! (That's about 5 TIMES the cost of an average dunable Jeep :shock: )

crash

Post by crash »

For the record, I don't understand the Rhino thing either. All I can imagine is that, we don't live in a rational world, and people certainly don't buy things rationally.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Even at $25k you can get a great mid-travel rail that will be safer, faster and more capable than a Rhino.

Rhinos aren't about entry level duning.

They're status symbols.

They're to dune vehicles what the H3 is to off road vehicles.

crash

Post by crash »

jhitesma wrote:

They're to dune vehicles what the H3 is to off road vehicles.
ROFLMAO :lol: :lol:

Amen, brother!! :D

RX 4 INSANDITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by RX 4 INSANDITY »

I own a Rhino and I am not sure that I get it either. :shock: 8) :oops:

I said that I was buying for my wife, but I really wanted it too. My wife made me promise to keep it stock and not to make it so that she was afraid to drive it, like all the other toys I ever bought her. My view on all the other toys was that my back up had to be capable. So far, I have only added a CDI and saftey equipment like 4 point seat belts.

We have probably only driven it about 10-15 miles since we got it (bought it last May). It is fun to drive, but it is not fast at all and will be able to get most places, but only if you take a different line. 8) :lol:

It is all what you want. The Rhino is a fun slow motion off road vehicle in the dunes. I would not own a low to no travel buggy, due to the ride and the maintenence. At least a stock Rhino should be pretty reliable. I also have a stock Jeep Wrangler, that is great on the roads of Anza Borrego, but needs work to be as much fun as the Rhino in the dunes. In my opinion, it was never meant to have 4 seats. Not stable enough and not enough power to haul one, let alone 4. :shock:

All that being said, like it or not, the Rhino is here to stay. and the Desert mentailty is to look cool no matter what the cost, so the $12,000 unit goes to $35,000 in a hurry. Also in my opinion, the insandity grows with each additional dollar you put into it. :shock: 8)

--Mike
Offroading and Concern for the Environment are NOT Mutually Exclusive

crash

Post by crash »

And, like I've said previously, what better vehicle for a bunch of newbies than an underpowered little vehicle that takes WORK to get where you might want to go? :D Who knows. Maybe someone will LEARN something besides "use the right pedal" to get you up that hill. :D

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

I cant wait till the bottom falls out of the market and they become cheap.

When the EFI 700 comes out all of those 25k rhinos will be cheap!

Its like looking in the trader for a banshee....Tons of them all going down in price!

I love it!
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

norocksplease
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by norocksplease »

I use the rhino for the desert, duning, utility, and a camp/river cruiser. Fact is , at least for a 2 seater, you can go anywhere if you can pick a good line and actually know how to drive. If you can't drive you will need to learn quickly. I 've only gotten mine stuck once, my father did it the other time. I slowed down for another vehicle in front of me, and this can happen to an $80,000 sandrail too.

In the desert, the rhino is an absolute blast, well... until you hit the speed limiter which hasn't been removed yet. Otherwise it's great to dart around the trails and I haven't gotten it stuck yet.

At the river the rhino takes us to our friends houses all around, and moves all our toys for us without any trouble.

The rhino works for us 8)

prince glamis
1st Gear Member

Post by prince glamis »

I keep hearing about $25K rhinos... sheesh... they dont cost that much to build right. Sure you can spend $25K building a rhino just like you can spend $80 building a rail.

I personally dont like the trick paint rhinos with the big stereos and lots of bling... most of those are just glorified GOLF CART CAMP CRUISERS!

Now a long travel Rhino is a different story, dunes, desert, mountains, snow, etc... way more places than a rail could go or be willing to go and you can take your wife and little kids with you... if you do your homework and get good deals this can be done for $16,000... but if money is meaningless to you then its going to run you about $25K.

Rhinos are the new Sea-doos

When Sea-doos came out everyone sold their boat or bought one to go with their boat. Now all the manufacturers make a "sea-doo" like PWC.

The same thing is going to happen with the side by side ATV market. Watch and see...

Nuff' said...

crash

Post by crash »

prince glamis wrote:I keep hearing about $25K rhinos... sheesh... they dont cost that much to build right. Sure you can spend $25K building a rhino just like you can spend $80 building a rail.

I personally dont like the trick paint rhinos with the big stereos and lots of bling... most of those are just glorified GOLF CART CAMP CRUISERS!

Now a long travel Rhino is a different story, dunes, desert, mountains, snow, etc... way more places than a rail could go or be willing to go and you can take your wife and little kids with you... if you do your homework and get good deals this can be done for $16,000... but if money is meaningless to you then its going to run you about $25K.

When Sea-doos came out everyone sold their boat or bought one to go with their boat. Now all the manufacturers make a "sea-doo" like PWC.

The same thing is going to happen with the side by side ATV market. Watch and see...

Nuff' said...
There's NOTHING in this post that can't be done by a Jeep or Suzuki, and they will arguably do it cheaper and more safely.

doznfire
1st Gear Member

Post by doznfire »

crash wrote:
prince glamis wrote:I keep hearing about $25K rhinos... sheesh... they dont cost that much to build right. Sure you can spend $25K building a rhino just like you can spend $80 building a rail.

Nuff' said...
There's NOTHING in this post that can't be done by a Jeep or Suzuki, and they will arguably do it cheaper and more safely.

This is still arguable :roll:

mbacon
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by mbacon »

I can't fit a Jeep or Suzuki in the 10' garage of my toy hauler! Love my Polaris Ranger!

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

Whats with all the Rhino bashing? Is it mostly from people who own sand rails? Is this what it was like when the 3-Wheeler ATC came out and the motorcycle group scoffed at them?

I didnt buy my rhino to dune, I have the DS for that, and it cost me around $11,000, not $25k or $50k. Allthough it is fun to ride sand with it, I prefer to trail ride & rock crawl with it. Because its 4WD these things can pretty much go anywhere and go on narrower trails than a Jeep could.

This reminds me of the old Jeep motto. "Its a Jeep thing, you wouldnt understand". Now insert Rhino in place of Jeep :lol:

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

A Jeep or Sammy won't fit in Our Hauler, a Rhino Does.

I don't have a 25K showpiece, just a stocker with Harnesses and Doors to protect Us in the event of a mishap.
Besides I have seen more "Posers" in very expensive sand cars than "Posers" in Rhino's

I spend alot of time in the Dez and also pit for some Dist 37/38 races, works just fine for that.

There NOT for everyone, but it works just fine for Us.

"To each His Own"
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

phx450
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by phx450 »

I'm not bashing at all. I really want a rhino, its just that the price for what they do doesnt line up for me.

Yes it will fit in my toyhauler, and i would drive the crap out of it.

The problem for me is that it is similar to the banshee when it comes to upgrades.

Long travel 6k
engine, clutch, etc upgrades 2k
headlights, seatbelts, roll cage etc 3-4k

You see I'm sick in the head. Banshee = $$$$$$ Rhino =$$$$$$$$$$

But yes i will eventually have one. They will get cheaper, just like golf carts.
1987 Drag Banshee.

2004 400ex for the girlfriend.

Looking for a Baja Bug or something similar.

Solar Sales here in Phoenix. Get Rid of your APS and SRP bills!

GO COWBOYS!!!!!

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

I have a nice paint job but it gets dirty. I'm with you on the long travel. I would buy one of Yoshi's rails before I put that kind of money in a Rhino, but thats just me.

This is how we roll.

teebird
1st Gear Member

Post by teebird »

In my opinion, the same people who bash the side by sides are the one's that call jet skiers "Lake Lice." I have jet skis but know how to use them. I have seen young people on jet skis that have no business on them. I have also seen nimrods in their $100k+ boats and these stuck up people are the one's using the lake lice acronym. I wonder what they will do when their adjustable mortgage kicks their butt outta their boat. I do not have a side by side, YET, and ride only a two wheeler in the dunes. I'm 42 and wouldn't have it any other way. We're all in the dunes having fun no matter what you have. I don't think others are wussies for using four wheels instead of two. Just not as skilled or brave. :wink:

crash

Post by crash »

I don't know if the "bashing" label is directed at me, but, really, all I was trying to do here is bring up the other side of the coin and compare the two. It is my personal choice that, for the money, a Sidekick or Jeep is a better deal. Especially since they can be registered and driven on the street in CA.

OK, I DID crack one joke about them, but all in all I was simply trying to be factual and compare the two. I understand that these vehicles will fill a niche. Just didn't think that niche was all that main stream and couldn't be filled more practically by vehicles that were already out there......at less cost. :wink:

Return to “Rhinos • RTVs • Golf Carts”