Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

BOYCOTT COMP HILL?

Post by OBSESSED »

I really can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe it's time to boycott Comp Hill Thurs/Fri/Sat nites at Thanksgiving. I've gone there every year since 1982, had numerous 'night' pics published in different mags, so it pains me greatly to repeat what others have suggested. BOYCOTT COMP! Let the truck dudes have it for 1 year and with no action...maybe, they will leave? I'll be at Olds lookin for some great hill action, hope to see you there!-Steve Brooks

MR-660R
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR-660R »

I agree Comp Hill should be boycotted, but that alone wont make them leave. It has to be completely shut down to all traffic from Osborne Overlook and also from the otherside next to the highway. If you close off access from those points only quads and rails will be able to get in from the dunes. No trucks will be able to make it, and ATVs and rails wont be bringin in all the wood and garbage to burn either. No trucks = ALOT less trash, it will be kinda like the old days. Then when all these guys that ride dirt bikes during the day and drive their trucks in there to party at night realize that they cant drive trucks at Comp Hill they wont come back.This idea worked for Havasu, Huntington Beach and Palm Springs (to name a few).______________________________________________>The Uni-Bomber was also an Environmentalists!<Edited by - MR-660R on 11/16/2000 1:18:37 PM

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

Sounds like winner to me, but we need to remember that not everybody that rides a dirt bike by day drives a truck at night. We have several people in our group that ride dirt bikes(Checkered Flags Flying High)and drive their sand rails at night. Power to the Sand Dunners.Dunner Till I Die

A Family of 4
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative

Post by A Family of 4 »

Or there's people like me, who have bikes and a JEEP and use them whatever the mood might be and our friends have only Jeeps/Broncos/etc that strongly agree with cleaning up all of our dunes, one way or another that all fly checkered flags proudly.(for some, riding hard in their earlier years makes it very uncomfortable to ride now - there isn't enough medications in the world to take away the soreness...hehehe)

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

Good point Family of 3, and it is to the best of my knowledge that jeeps have been alterrain vehicles since way back when.I don't have a promlem with jeeps but I do with all the trucks(Fords,Chevy,Dodge,toyota,) that are full of out of control people in them that have no business being out there in the first place. I'm sure we all could share stories of close calls with these types of people. It seems as if I can't even take a trip out to the dunes with out having close calls with these truck people.(too close for that matter) I think we all want the same thing basically. I safe place to ride and enjoy our family and friends making memories to share together around the campfires for generations to come.Dunner Till I Die

dirt
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by dirt »

Some of the things I read on here are truly idiotic. First off, I have been riding dirt bikes for 25 years and I really resent the fact that you are lumping myself and others into the category of the jerks that go to comp at night in trucks. Get it straight you (now now, none of that) before making such assumptions.Like guys in buggies and on quads aren't the problem too. Try and distance yourself through generalization a little more!People like you are the problem with Glamis!

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

No need to get hostile Dirt. I don't think anyone is trying to step on any toes here. Just having a discusion about problems we see out there. One of which that got worse as more people in trucks started coming to the hill. There's no need for cussing we are all adults here. We're on the same side remeber.(?)Dunner Till I Die

Duner4Life
1st Gear Member

Post by Duner4Life »

I agree with Dirt that we cannot lump all duners into different categories. I ride a dirtbike, quad, 2 3-wheelers, and drive a truck by day along with by night (with the exception of the dirtbike). Of course not at the same time, but I have a variety of toys because I like them all. As I posted in the 'RE: Law Enforcement' forum, legitimate duners have good reasons for driving 4x4s. I don't just drive at night to go party at Comp. I agree that the situation at Comp is way out of control. We need to get the dunes back to the point they were 20 years ago. A place for family and friends to spend time together and get away from the stresses of city life. Let's not separate our fellow duners by bashing each other and grouping us with the idiots that want to destroy our dune haven. Sand! Your home away from home!

Jeepin
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Jeepin »

I also pretty much posted my thoughts on the RE: Law enforcement post also...Sandflea, I agree with you about jeeps being there from the beginning. Like I said in previous posts my family as been running jeeps in Glamis since 1954. I have several Willys jeeps. The only thing I disagree with is, I cannot take my Willys this year ( needs some more work) and I will be driving my Bronco. Am I now part of this stereotype??StacyBeauty is in the eye of the beer holder.SAVE GLAMIS. Lost Coast 4x4's.

duneyfz

Post by duneyfz »

There are already laws in place to fix the situation at Comp. All we need to do is enforce them. It is illegal to drink and drive, drink underage and ride in the bed of a pickup in CA. Not to mention littering fines. Enforcing just one of these would improve the situation greatly.

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

Well stated and understood Dunner4Life and Jeepin.Peace Dunner Till I Die

Ron @ Lazer Star
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Ron @ Lazer Star »

I'm for the idea of meeting at Olds at night. After all you do have those superior Lazer Star billet lights on your quads and buggies right? (Shameless plug!) Seriously, I am for us all going to Olds insted and let the BLM deal with the rowdys at Comp theres no way those guys will trek there at night. This way the Jeeps wouldn't be excluded. Just remember if your coming from Roadrunner to go AROUND the closed section!Ron ScottVice President, OperationsWeekend ConceptsGOL BBS Board Moderatorrscott@weekendconcepts.comwww.saveglamis.comEdited by - Ron @ Lazer Star on 11/16/2000 3:50:25 PM

wwbockjr
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by wwbockjr »

How about going to Comp, but not running it, as a show of support? Having a large controlled contingent might have a dampening effect on the rowdy element. Maybe make them uncomfortable enough to split? We'd also be there to give the BLM support if there were any confrontations or problems.William Bock

Ta2dGrrl
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Ta2dGrrl »

I also take my totally awesome '72 Blazer out to Glamis and occasionally use it off road. I would definitely classify myself as part of the solution, not the problem.I know what you all are trying to say, though. You are referring to the mostly young, mostly male group that piles all their friends in the bed, goes flying around, and basically don't know how to control their vehicles (or think that not controlling them is cool). All minus whips, etc.Nik_______________________I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

GetAirborne
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by GetAirborne »

I think the thing to remember here is that people who have been going to glamis for a while and respect the dunes can EASILY make it to Olds at night on any type of vehicle. It does not matter what vehicle you dune in (Bike, Buggy, Quad, Truck, Jeep) It is how you act. The inexperienced "Truck Dudes" will either get lost or stuck. Dont bring the people who dont Respect our sport.My OpinionEdited by - GetAirborne on 11/16/2000 6:26:53 PM

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

ON sat nite Halloween weekend, I noticed that there was at least 10 trucks near the sand hwy entrance to the Olds cet off, STUCK!REMEMBER, I'm not saying no to the trucks, this is America land of the free, but with the BLM unable to control the area, let them have it at night. All of you experienced truck drivers will/do go anywhere you want-right? Why give up a area that I love? I really can't understand my actions??? Except I'll be able to take pix without the possiblity of being run over!!!

Paleale

Post by Paleale »

Yeah and if all the truckies get stuck out in the middle of nowhere the will spend one heck of a cold night alone. Maybe that will change there attitude. We can only hope.PalealeSAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

fullborebanshee
1st Gear Member

Post by fullborebanshee »

I definitely am in support for everyone converging at Olds. I went to Comp. Hill on Sat. night on halloween weekend and am tired of all the idiots that have no respect for the sport. I feel sympathetic for all of those trucks,buggies and bikes/quads that are subject to driving through all the trenched fire laden trails at the hill. Just because we have machines that we are proud of and they dont, they take it out on us by spraying beer and throwing sand at us as we drive by.I for one am tired of it. I'd rather take the extra 15 min ride through the dunes.

Flipper
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Flipper »

(small history) 1993? Chevy short bed one toned out. (Mud Bogger) 40 inch tires and a dozen and a half friends with same style trucks. That year I saw probaly another two dozen trucks. Next year same trucks in our group, plus some atc's and week quad's. No difference in trucks at comp. Well now I do not dislike trucks or any other vehicle, but at comp over Hallowen I saw ten rows of more or less stock trucks. We still have the BIG trucks, plus quads, atc's, sandrails, and a few other toys/ Wait where was I? Ohh Yaa I saw maybe two dozen rails!! Where was everyone?? I think I'll go to Olds to find out! Never maid it. No one else wanted to go. Anyhow it's not the ride, it's the people that are uniformed/uncareing that cause the problems!!! Please do not stero type anybody (like my tired A** who can't spell! Any how Pack it In Pack it Out!!!

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

The BLM could stop the trucks coming into Comp. with; people in the back, no whip, pallets, glass bottles, ect. if they wanted to. There is only 2 ways in for most trucks. Maybe we can help them turn the trucks around???DO IT IN THE DUNES...

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

Good point Flipper.Also, Sanduners have the best idea I've heard yet. Simple and straight to the point.Dunner Till I Die

MR-660R
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR-660R »

The main reason why the truck crowd wont go to Glamis at nite is because they are newbies to the dunes and they dont know how to get there. Glamis is totally different to navigate at night, they use the 78 as a point of reference and that is why they all go to Comp. ATVs and Rails and Jeeps leave far less trash and destruction than trucks filled with people and beer.Sounds like Olds is the place to go...______________________________________________>The Uni-Bomber was also an Environmentalists!<

Duner4Life
1st Gear Member

Post by Duner4Life »

Better yet, why doesn't the BLM just set up a check point at the canal and turn away anybody driving a truck! That way all of us who drive trucks to tow our toys out to the desert won't be able to access the dunes at all. I think it is getting really rediculous that all of the blame is being put on the 'truck crowd'. I have many friends (including myself) that drive trucks. I also know that about 70% of the Glamis crowd use trucks to come to Glamis. I hope that some of you can get a clue and stop bashing the 'truck crowd', because you may be a part of that crowd yourself. If you are going to separate the 'problem crowd', maybe they should be referred to as the 'troublemakers' rather than the 'truck crowd' or 'dirtbike crowd'. All of this bashing of 'groups' that include loyal duners is getting really ridiculous! Sand! Your home away from home!

Paleale

Post by Paleale »

I think that all of us here on the board use the word "truck crowd", know who we are talking about. It is not about "everybody that drives a truck is a idiot" it is just a name for the undesirables that cause trouble. Please don't take any offense to the word "truck crowd" We all know who we are referring too.PalealeSAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

asa_rick
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by asa_rick »

Duner4Life, try not to take it so personal. I think it's fairly obvious that these posts are in fact targeting the "rowdy" element that do nothing but drink, drive like idiots, party and leave a big mess for others to clean up. I use a truck to pull my toy-hauler and I never once thought they were grouping me in with that crowd. I will be the first one to admit that trucks (two OR four wheel drive) have just as much right to the dunes as I do. After all, the issue here is the behavior of the people inside, not the vehicle itself. Think before you act, and make sure that your brain is in gear before you let out the clutch!!Rick JenkinsForum ModeratorASA VolunteerRjenk49957@aol.com

Duner4Life
1st Gear Member

Post by Duner4Life »

Understood. Sand! Your home away from home!

Jeepin
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Jeepin »

Duner4Life,I totally agree with and understand where you are coming from. Yes. We all seem to know the type of people being referred to, but it DOES seem a little infair to label then "truck crowd". I try not to take it personal, but it is hard. Can't we just call them the "bad element" or something. . . The problem isn't the trucks, it is the people in them.StacyBeauty is in the eye of the beer holder.SAVE GLAMIS. Lost Coast 4x4's.

dunefreak
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by dunefreak »

I used to think the Gordon's Well Hill got a little on the wild side. After reading waht you guys see at Glamis, it makes Gordon's look like a tea party. Think I will stay at Gordon's.dunefreakdunefreak@offroadbb.comAdmin http://www.offroadbb.com

Spookydust
1st Gear Member

Post by Spookydust »

I have been going to the dunes literally all my life. As a baby in diapers to bringing my own child out there. There is (in my opinion and I'm sure most of yours) that there is no better place for quality family time. However, in the past 5 years, I have seen the dunes go down hill....FAST! I am refering to "the bad-element". I used to look forward to going to Comp at night on a holiday weekend to see all the hill shooting. But, now I don't even ride at night. Mainly due to the "bad-element". If the true duners want to meet at Olds instead, I will be there! I really miss the good times and I want them back. I'm in favor of boycotting Comp. at night! If there is nobody there, then maybe the(the bad-element) will go away. It's at least worth a try! However, please remember to respect the closed off areas while making your way to Olds. I want the dunes to be there for my kid's-kids. Thanks!Roost-Ya Later!!

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

In case you missed this post by Grant George of Funco; Quote;Funco has made it company policy to not be attending the "Ranger Station Sand Drags" or Competition hill at night. These places should be about hanging out and rubbing elbows with fellow duners and having a chance to see the new toys. During the drags we will be out sand buggin, and at night we will be at Oldsmobile Hill. We hope to see you there!GRANT@FUNCOIT'S ABOUT SAND-BUGGINHELP RE-OPEN THE CLOSURES... JOIN THE A.S.A.

dunatic
1st Gear Member

Post by dunatic »

I agree completely about the "bad element" After almost 20 years of duning my family and friends have stopped going on big week-ends because of these troublemakers. We have the same crowd here at Lake Havasu with the same problems; party until your stupid and dump your trash wherever. Don't get me wrong, we all like to have a good time but these idiots have gotten the sandbar where all the locals hang out shut down completely by law enforcement on big week-ends and will do the same to our beloved dunes. The tree huggers love this kind of free ammo. These morons have no idea of the pure euphoria of carving it up on the ultimate rollercoaster....I for one hope we survive this.

don worsfold
1st Gear Member

Post by don worsfold »

You people amaze me, your rights to the dunesare being striped from under your feet and all you can think about is taking away the rights of others to enjoy comp. I bet you said "good" when the smoking ban came, You said "I don't smoke, what do I care? then I bet you said " I don't care if they take away the gun's, I dont own a gun".Well now they are taking the dunes and youpeople still don't get it. If everyones rights are not worth fighting for then yoursis not either!!Remember, united we stand!I don't smoke,I don't like gun's but I think I will join the NRA just to start protectingthe rights of others and feel better about myown cause (Imperial sand dunes).When you learn to respect others, others will respect YOU, when you respect the enviroment, then it will respect YOU!We can't fight one another, we have to fight together.Suport groups like ASA. learn what you can do, save are sport and save the world!!!Before you leave from your vacation at Glamis, pick up your trash and twice that amount, don't just leave it to others.Don't tread on plants and DON'T TREAD ON ME! DWW

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

Hi Don,I think you misunderstood. I think we all got things cleared up on the "truck people" on page one and two. I know I'm not trying to disrespect any of my fellow dunners. I also believe that most of the people posting on this site probably do pick up more trash than they bring in(I know I do,and I teach my kids the same)so just try to remember we are all on the same team and are just as upset as you with the closure. Peace Dunner Till I Die

Paleale

Post by Paleale »

We are not taking away the rights of others we are just boycotting Comp hill because we are sick of the bad element that goes there and ruins it for others. If you want to go there and add to the melee go for it but if you want to enjoy hill shooting at night go to Olds and leave the "Bad Element" to themselves at comp. We are just sick and tired of the few people that cause all the trouble at Comp and instead of going to Comp and maybe getting into a confrontation with the "Bad Element" We choose to go elsewhere. Also we are not fighting each other we are looking for ways to get rid of the "Bad Element" that go to Galmis whether that is through education or heavenly ticketing them or outright banning them that is what we are talking about. I'm all for good fun but when you have people out there that don't give a **** about there actions that could possibly get someone (other than themselves) hurt I am for getting rid of them. I don't speak for everybody on this board but I do know that some of them think along these terms. Paleale SAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

Well stated Paleale.You go boy.Hope to see ya at Olds. [:8]Dunner Till I Die

mark
1st Gear Member

Post by mark »

I'm in for the boycott of comp hill this weekend. If any trucks with rowdies in them decide to fall in behind my rail on my way out to Olds hill, they are going to find themself stuck deep in nowhere land.

A Family of 4

Post by A Family of 4 »

Don, I understand how you feel but most everyone here is looking for some way to get rid of the 'bad element' as Paleale said. I don't think that if there was a boycott of Comp and of the drags, that would take care of the bad element. They would still be there because the group is large and they like watching eachother do stupid things. It's my 2 cents that the rangers need to do something else to 'clean house' and that could be done a number of ways....use the current laws like others have stated (dui's, riding in the back of p/u's, underage drinking, glass containers, etc). This is just thinking out loud and if you have any ideas on how things can get back to normal so the paper pushers in Washington DC or even the radical environmentalists don't have this ammo (the bad element) to use against us, then please put your opinion in too.Thanks and have a safe Turkey Day weekend!!Stay united and don't give up!HereThereEverywhere@hotmail.com

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

Way to go Family of 3. Cleaning House is exactly what needs to happen and you said it best. Dunner Till I Die

Spookydust
1st Gear Member

Post by Spookydust »

It seems to me that everyone is in agreement with what needs to be done, but here online we are only getting out to about 5-10% of the people that actually go to Glamis. I was at a trailer supply store last Friday when I heard some guys talking about going out to Glamis for Thanksgiving. I chimmed in from across the room and asked if they knew about the closure and neither one did. They listened to what I told them and seemed very concerned, but it just goes to show you that not everyone is informed yet. I really keep to myself usually, but that day in the store, I just butted my way into their conversation without regard to what they would think, just because I wanted to get the info out there.....this means that much to me!!!!! I received a flyer from the BLM in the mail on Sat. regarding the closure at Glamis, but I don't know how they got my name or address. I'm just glad someone is on the ball. So, what I am trying to say is spread the word to as many people as possible, as quickly as possible.Roost-Ya Later!!

A Family of 4

Post by A Family of 4 »

Spookydust....you better be careful where you plan to "roost-ya later"! lol The flying sand could hurt a plant (not that Mother Nature makes the sand blow 40 times worse!!!) and we don't want that to happen, you know, like I read somewhere "rubber tires and flying sand". heheheeOMG, did I just say that outloud??? Sorry...bad joke.Stay united and don't give up!HereThereEverywhere@hotmail.com

Glenn
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Glenn »

It's been said a lot here, the "bad element" must be stoped, and the only for it to happen is to have the only ones that can enforce the laws do there job. Thats why we have laws, and with out them being enforced, they mean nothing. I have friends that I ride with that are cops, great people, and would like to help out but the amount of "paper work" that would have to fill out they tell me is to much. Last month when we were out at pad 2, the smell of the pot smoking, and other drug use was overwhelling. We did ask the group to trun down the tunes at 10:30 pm and they did, said that were sorry the next day, and asked us not to call the rangers, but left a big mess that we had to pick up. Never once during the weekend did I see a ranger. I know a lot of people go out there to "enjoy" themselves, but riding when loaded is not safe for you, me and them. Comp hill will only change when we the users have the ability to help the rangers and other enforcers do there jobs to up hold the current laws, and insest that they do! I will be out there Friday for 1/2 the day, and will stand near a sign to help out for part of that time, and when I leave Friday night, hope that the amount of red lights at comp hill is from the long arm of the law doing what needs to be done, clean up the "bad element" so that the rest of us "good elements" can enjoy it. The trucks/buggy/quads/atc/motorcycls/dunaboat/golfcart/gocart/anything-elce-out-there good element. See ya at Olds!.. I have my GPS and know how to use it!

MR-660R
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR-660R »

No one is going to want to keep Glamis open at the current rate the dunes are getting trashed. We can continue to have these clean-ups after every big weekend but all we are really doing is putting a band-aid on the real problem. Our beloved recreation area is getting raped and its time to say no more! We have a situation we a great number of people that have no respect for the environment or others come into our little bit of paradise. 1.) These people keep others who quietly camp up all night, 2.)2.) Most don’t even have any OHVs, just the trucks that they drove out there in. 3.) The great majority of them you can find under the influence of Alcohol or other controlled substances while they are in the dunes, 4.) They also operate vehicles while under these conditions. 5.) They don’t equip their vehicles with the proper safety equipment for traversing in the dunes. 6.) They leave waste throughout the dunes and litter in their own campgrounds. Basically these people have found every possible way to break all the rules of camping at Glamis. Don’t get me wrong, I know a lot of you guys like to have a beer or 2 after dinner and then take a ride in the dunes, but theses guys have taken the rules and shattered them completely. Without addressing this issue first, we are going to have a much harder time keeping Glamis from being closed. Ok, so here is my proposal—It is based on the tactics that other law enforcement agencies have used in the past to keep recurring crowds from coming into an area and wreaking havoc for others. 1.) Shut down Competition Hill on Friday and Saturday Night starting at 4:00pm for Thanksgiving and declare it an unlawful gathering. Without a place for these unruly idiots to congregate they will be forced to return to camp and get drunk. Yes, they will still be getting loaded but it will be more manageable if we can disperse this crowd. No fights, no injuries (or deaths), no trenches being dug or vehicles set on fire, no stolen property—Plus we wont have a huge trash situation here the next morning. If we take away what they are coming for they won’t return in the future.2.) Shut down the Sand Drags in the afternoon on Saturday, also declare this an unlawful gathering. What we are trying to achieve here is to make it as uncomfortable as possible for the **lawless** crowd.3.) Ticket anyone in the dunes that does not have a buggy whip attached to their vehicle. This solves the buggy whip problem, it solves the problem of guys in trucks driving into the dunes. Basically post some Rangers at Comp Hill during the day and along Sand Hwy next to Olds ready to ticket these people.4.) Ticket people for riding in the backs on trucks, this is a California Law, right? While the Ranger is writing a ticket for no whip he can also include this as well, and he can send them back to their camp or get the vehicle impounded.5.) Start a campground patrol mainly looking for vehicles (OHVs) that don’t have buggy whips mounted on them. During these patrols the Rangers may uncover other infractions such as bottles, drugs, etc. Obviously if some campers just recently arrived to their site and the quads or bikes don’t have whips then they wont be cited, but if the Ranger comes back the next day and still no whips then tickets will be issued. I suggest the Rangers using binoculars to checkout camps for these infractions before setting down upon them.6.) Any vehicle found without a green or red sticker registration will be impounded. There are too many people trying to get away with this. 7.) Ticket campers with litter in their camp area, all camp areas must be kept CLEAN, if a camp area is filthy then cite those people. 8.) After 10PM if there is very loud noise coming from one camp group in an area of other quiet campers a notice must be issued to those people and if it is not obeyed then a ticket must be issued.I realize that some of the steps I have mentioned (#3, #5 & #7) are going to be implemented but I don’t think that those steps alone will solve our problem. The unruly crowd goes to Glamis because they CAN break all the rules, they CAN do whatever they want, and its all at OUR EXPENSE! If Glamis is no longer a place where these people can create total mayhem for themselves and others then they will just seek out another locale to do so. Yes, it will be a little uncomfortable for all of us for a little while, but Glamis isn’t comfortable for any of us right now anyway! At least what we have to look forward to is a cleaner Glamis and nice people, who knows— maybe we can take the kids out to Comp Hill at nights like in the old days.If I can be of any assistance to help, or you would like me to elaborate on any of these issues please let me know. ______________________________________________>The Uni-Bomber was also an Environmentalists!<

Paleale

Post by Paleale »

To Mr660r How did your meeting or phone call go with Roger Bruckner of BLM law enforcement and Greg Thompsen, Field Manager for the El Centro BLM Office ?Just wondering. Thanks PalealeSAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

Jeepster
1st Gear Member

Post by Jeepster »

Mr666RI wanted to comment on the 2 posts you left here. The first had to do with the "TRUCKS". I half to agree with you as far as those individuals that come to the dunes with ONLY their truck. These appear to be the "Bad Element". However there are those that bring their off road vehicle in their off-road truck that DO respect the dunes. I visited your WEB sight and noticed you have a picture of you arriving at Glamis with a quad in the back of a truck. (Nice looking truck too). I also noticed a picture of your son on his little bike. When my son was 2 years old he started going to the dunes with me. At night I would take the whole family to Comp in our "TRUCK". Now my son is 17 and has his own "TRUCK" and rides a "BIKE". When he goes to Glamis I not only worry about him riding but also because of the people that may put him in the class with the "TRUCK DUDES". My son was brought up to respect the dunes and others. He attended the BLM meeting in Barstow with his cousins, uncle and myself. He has been trying to educate his friends and classmates on how they should act in the dunes if they want to keep them open. He has also participated in several Dunes clean-ups and Jr Ranger program. Yes...there is a bad element that usually shows up in a truck. But not all bike riders with trucks are bad elements.The second thing I wanted to mention is your list of things to do to help drive out the Bad Element. When my son and I were at Glamis last weekend we noticed that many of the vehicles parked around Gecco and behind the store did not have a tag hanging from the mirror. I feel that the rangers should also check and ticket those that didn't pay their dues. Expecially since some of the money collected is used to clean up after them.Oh well... I just had to say something about the "TRUCK" thing as I have a lot at stake...my son.Help keep Freedom in America

cldftwrmhrt
1st Gear Member

Post by cldftwrmhrt »

I have been going to glamis since I was 12 I am now 18 and am not a real veteran to glamis...but I do hate all the trash nad all the trucks...I think that whatever it takes to do what we have to do to win our dunes back lets do it. If you see a couple of beer cans pick them up and stick them into your cooler the more poeple do this the cleaner it will be...as for comp, we mostly go to olds anyways so close it if it will work

MR-660R
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR-660R »

Paleale: Not well, I ended up speaking with Robert Zimmer, Chief Area Ranger for the area. I probably shouldnt have spoke to him, he is just the guy caught up in the mess out there. The people above him are the ones that should realize that this area is HUGE and needs more law enforcement. Unfortunately, until the "Anything Goes" attitude at Glamis is gone, I think that they should adopt a strategy that conssistently enforces the law at the dunes. Mr. Zimmer expressed to me that it is *impossible* to enforce the rules out there. Its pretty sad, and I think that he should be more vocal to his superiors in getting more personnell out there to help him out. My opinion about it is, if someone gives me a job and I am not doing it properly I am going to ask for assistance, if they dont give it to me and will scream for assistance— the squeaky wheel always gets the grease.Jeepster- I am not trying to paint people that drive trucks in the dunes as all bad— BUT if they drive in the dunes (like I have) they should also follow the same rules. You cant see it in that picture of my truck but I had a buggy whip with a light on it for when I went into the dunes. Even back then I made sure to obey the rules. Ok, I have a new name for the PROBLEM, - "TRUCK NEWBIES"All these "Truck Newbies" need to figure it out that they need to obey the same laws in the dunes as a quad or rail.______________________________________________>The Uni-Bomber was also an Environmentalists!<

wwbockjr
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by wwbockjr »

MR660R-I don't know Mr. Zimmerman's constraints. BLM must be pretty tight with resources or it just doesn't care (subject of numerous posts).It might be considered impossible to enforce but really not if you put your mind to it. A blockade across the drag area for instance with a few rangers standing by would do the trick. Also cutting off access to comp hill, again a blockage or string of vehicles. Just the notion that Glamis is heading toward more enforcement will drive off the unruly crowd.William Bock

E8A
1st Gear Member

Post by E8A »

I AM IN. IN FACT WE WILL NO LONGER GO TO GLAMIS ON THE HOLIDAYS. THE PEOPLE WHO COME TO PARTY AND WRECK GLAMIS HAVE MADE IT TOO DANGEROUS FOR THE FAMILIES LIKE US. LAST YEAR I FOUND A 22 YEAR OLD WHO IS PARALIZED BECAUSE SOME OF THESE PEOPLE WHO HAVE RUINED GLAMIS CUT HIM OFF. THANKS FOR NOTHING. YOU PEOPLE KNOW WHO YOU ARE....I WANT OUR GLAMIS BACK. GO HOME YOU PEOPLE....

CSForest
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by CSForest »

Please, don't lump all the truckers into one category. By doing so, you are alienating many of us who enjoy utilzing our 4WD trucks at nite for "family" runs. Those of us who are reponsible, no matter the ride, need to respect each other. We don't need to be getting into pissing contests with each other.While it's true that many of the problem at Comp are due to truckers with truck-loads of guys, that doesn't mean ALL the problems are caused by this crowd. A previous poster made a VERY good statement, & that is wrt the proximity of COMP to Hwy 78. It's EASY to get to.I haven't been to COMP in my 4WD truck in over 2 years nor on my quad in over 3 years (it's actually more dangerous on the quad) because of problems. I'll defintely try for OLDS, but it will definitely be in the TRUCK!Dune Safe!Cindy S.

nascar#2
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by nascar#2 »

Like I said on a previous post, 2 years ago (new years) at Comp, we were sitting there as a family of 4 minding our own business and right in front of us the wall of fire went up and the people who went through it, with no other way out, got stuck and got sand thrown on them. A fight broke out and a young man pulled out a gun and was waving it around. We then were frightened and left quickly. My children saw what happened and question the whole thing. It was something that was a subject in our camp the whole weekend. Going to Comp at night to just sit and people watch has always been something that we have been doing ever since we have been going to the desert. My husband has been going since 74 and he says that the changes that have been made are rediculious because of the people who go out there and destroy Glamis. Those of us who respect glamis and enjoy dunning will fight and get it back so that we can enjoy it for years to come. It's not over till the fat lady sings...no pun intend. Keep fighting and we will go to Olds at night and try it. We are not going this Thanksgiving..Thankgod..but will be next weekend. Stay safe and have a good turkey day.

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”