Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Tom Simrak
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

BOYCOTT COMP AND THE SAND DRAGS

Post by Tom Simrak »

As I wrote many months ago,Build it and they will come.(heard that before). I am referring to the drags at Gecko road. After last year at Thanksgiving many of us should have learned. It's not the real duners causing the problems. It's the so called "truck crowd." I don't mean to stereotype but you know who they are. They come to the drags and drink way to much then race their trucks back and forth. After the sun goesdown they head for comp hill. They only come to make fools of themselves and watch the buggies and quads. If you remove the buggis and quads they have nothing left to watch. How hard would it be to find a new spot in the dunes for sand drags. Maybe somewhere near old's hill or out that way anyway. If it is far enough out, the trucks won't show up and we could have some real fun. To me it sounds simple. The first step is to boycott the Gecko road drags. You can bet the "truck crowd" would soon leave also. If they leave the drags maybe comp hill won't be far behind. Turn on your lazer star lights(cheap plug), have fun, stay sober, be safe. We must take our dunes back!!!http://www.sandcars.com

Ron @ Lazer Star
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Ron @ Lazer Star »

Thanks for the cheap plug Tom! I concur with you. Both the drags and Comp should be avoided by us "real" duners. I for one will see you all at Olds!Ron ScottVice President, OperationsWeekend ConceptsGOL Forum Moderatorrscott@weekendconcepts.comwww.saveglamis.com

Doorlord
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Doorlord »

How to tell if you are part of the problem.1. If you ride a couch at the sand drags, you MAY be part of the problem. This goes for alltypes of furniture.2. If you stand up in the back of a truckand race a buggy with a couch strapped to itwith 5 guys with vibrating marital aids gluedto their heads sitting on same couch, you MAY be part of the problem.3.If your parents named you a sucky name likeSue (if you are a boy)or Moonbeam and all the cool kids with bajas & 4x4s wouldn't hang with you and you swore to get even withall off-roaders, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.Sand...Its not just forBreakfast anymore.

Sandflea
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandflea »

Well said. Doorlord you are too funny. Thanks for the evening humor. With all the BS going on it felt really good to laugh again.Dunner Till I Die

Paleale

Post by Paleale »

Doorland that was good I'm still laughing...PalealeSAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Winston Cup »

I think this is just a continuance of the original "BOYCOTT COMP" topic, and it really should have continued under that topic. That way, someone new to the discussion of boycotting comp or anything could have scrolled though the responses and understood how this idea has evolved. Lets try to refrain from making multiple topics out of the same discussion. Sorry to be so picky, but I am always thinking of the new people to the board, that are trying to understand what is going on and why.Guy ChrestBoard AdministratorRace Grafx T-Shirt PrintingASA Supporter / Volunteerracegrafx@aol.com

MR-660R
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR-660R »

ITS REAL SIMPLE FOLKS!! Dont Get Mixed Up With the Wrong Crowd!!We all know the trouble makers will be there, so make it easy on yourselves and the Rangers— DONT GO TO THE SAND DRAGS & DONT GO TO COMP HILL!Thanks______________________________________________>The Uni-Bomber was also an Environmentalists!<

Tom Simrak
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Tom Simrak »

4 times now, I have come to this post to make my point, all of which sounded antaginistic towards Jason. Sorry, Im not dropping down there. Just so the readers know, This post was made in 2000, years before DUNERs was even a concept. Dont take my post out of context, remember the topic here is BOYCOTTING the drags, not closing.Let me try to clairy my thoughts of 4 years ago...

I'm glad to see there are so many willing and wanting to boycott comp and the drags. I have seen many replies about shutting them down with the rangers and calling it an illegal gathering. I have NO problem with this.(referring to the discussions) (the following is posted for discussion purposes)But it is one thing to say it and another to accually do it. What I am wondering is, how can we make this happen. Is it even possable to get the rangers to shut these two places down. Would this take a letter campaign? What can we really do to show the rangers we want to help and support them?. I know about the checkered flag thing but as far as really making it happen? Then if we do get these areas shut down, how do we know it's only temporary? Will they ever let it open up again? I think we all like to turn on our ( another cheap plug) and enjoy comp at night. I would be willing to give it up for a season or two to save our dunes. Would you?we must take back our dunes!!!http://www.sandcars.com

Just because something is openly discussed and options are explored, does not mean it is advocated.
Last edited by Tom Simrak on Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

asa_rick
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by asa_rick »

I don't necessarily think shutting them down is the answer. Once again, it's the lack of LAW ENFORCEMENT that is the problem. Were the BLM to crack down on the out-of-control drinking,(and driving) fires, fireworks etc., then a "shut-down would not be necessary. As Mr. Simrack suggests, a "boycott" of the drags & Comp at night might have some effect, but it could take many seasons for the word to get around that "these places are just not that much fun anymore" without all the buggy's & quads to watch. On the other hand, a forceful crackdown by the authorities would send an immediate message throughout the ranks of the "bad element"!! Now, a boycott in conjunction WITH a crackdown in law enforcement might be just the ticket......Think before you act, and make sure that your brain is in gear before you let out the clutch!!Rick JenkinsForum ModeratorASA VolunteerRjenk49957@aol.com

Tim Wight
ASA Public Safety Vice Chair
ASA Public Safety Vice Chair

Post by Tim Wight »

If all the responsible duners boycott those areas it will make it easier for the BLM to police those areas. When you have large numbers at a location, it is intimidating for several rangers to try and go in there to arrest someone. They don't know whos on their side. People get brave when there is a large crowd. If only the 'bad element' was there, it would make it easier for them.Tim WightMesa, AZ.Forum ModeratorDune On!

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I agree that less people in the area could help the BLM rangers feel less threatened. However if all the responsible duners stayed away and I was a BLM ranger I would feel even more threatened. Why? Because now you've got a concentrated group who you know is against you. At least with the responsible duners out there (flying their checkered flags) the Rangers know there are at least some people on their side. We may not be backup but we are support.Also who says they're there to watch the buggies and rails? That's nonsense they bad element is there because they can get away with practically anything PERIOD. That is the only reason. Take away the rails and buggies and they'll still go out there, blow things up, get wasted, hurt themselves and others, cause problems for the rangers....They're not there to watch the responsible duners. There're there because they know the BLM can't/won't enforce the laws. The only idea I've seen on the board that sounds reasonable is checkpoints going in/out of comp valley. And a zero-tolerance policy against people in truck beds - drunk driving - fireworks (which I myself love but I keep them to areas where they are allowed...all of which I gave up when I moved to the desert) - and other activities we already have laws against.----Jason Hitesmanjason@hitesman.comhttp://www.hitesman.com/jason

Jeepster
1st Gear Member

Post by Jeepster »

JasonI think you are correct in stating that the bad element will still be there. I personally know some of this bad elememt. They go there to party and drive as fast as they can in their trucks. I've tried talking to them and their parents but they just won't listen. I've tried to get the responsible kids in the neighborhood to talk to them but they just don't care. They don't have whips on their vehicles, they drink and are under age, they don't pay the Glamis fees. They do burn furniture, pallets and anything else they can find and are the same ones that dig trenches at Comp. The only way you will get them to leave is hit them in their pocket book. Fine them, impound their vehicle, lock them up and make their parents come down and bail them out.P.S. I stopped going to Comp two years ago because of the bad element. I would love to see Glamis the way it was 20 years ago. It's going to take law enforcement to make it happen. Help keep Freedom in America

supersport
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by supersport »

I have absolutely no problem boycotting comp. hill. I spend very little time there anyway,and the morons make it unpleasant.I wish the BLM could get more funding for hiring more help. I simply love dunin' and I want to do my part.

Ranger Bob
1st Gear Member

Post by Ranger Bob »

What if 50 or so checkered flag folks gathered at the entances to Comp to show support for the Rangers. That might give the Rangers some moral support and encourage the undesireables to obey the law.

Jim Frantz
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Jim Frantz »

I agree with all that is said above, But I also think that people who go to comp or drags know what they are getting into and it is up to them. It has all been part of the dunes since I was 6 years old the good and the bad. I think people should be held accountable for their actions and dealt with immediately.

Just my .02 worth
Last edited by Jim Frantz on Tue Oct 29, 2002 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

SANDRUBY
1st Gear Member

Post by SANDRUBY »

[red]I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU ALL, BUT I AM STILL TRYING TO CLEAR MY THROAT FROM THE DUST AT THE SAND DRAGS AT GORDON'S! IT WAS FUN BUT, WE'LL PROBABLY GO TO THE DUNES ON MORE "OFF" WEEKENDS IN THE FUTURE. THE CHECKER'D FLAG WAS A GREAT HIT, WE LOVE TEST HILL, BUT THE NUMBER OF DRUNKS WAS ALARMING! GREAT JOB TIM WIGHT WITH YOUR SIGNS & TRUCK!~SANDRUBY[RED]~ROOST U

Raptor
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Raptor »

well done checkered flaggers. feels like there is a positive momentum building. i have not gone to comp or the drags for a few years due to the "eliment". comp used to be such an experience at nite, when you could cruise thru the other duners checking out the cars and bikes of all types. meeting fellow duners without fear of being covered with sand or stuck in a flaming trench. the boycott has begun, the "eliment" has been given a small taste of the consequences of their unwanted behavior. it didn't grow into this overnight and it wont go away that quickly either. we can continue to stay away, we can continue to support the authorities and in time the "eliment" will move on. I support roadblocks, fines, arrests and a overpowering law enforcement presence. it wont stop anything that i go to the dunes to do. i just know the law enforcement people have a huge job in front of them for many reasons.the stars are in tune and the earth is eclipsed by the Dune

Cathi
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Cathi »

Agree with all proposed. We used to go to the drags to race our car. We have a very fast sand buggy frame-dragster car. Since the quads, trucks, dirtbikes etc..have left the track bumpy and dangerous..no more fast cars will drag there anylonger. Gone are the Blue Thunders, Top Dogs, Charelstons-which used to be the quick cars who camped and raced there. Now we can only race barely at Olds and w/the ASDA (American Sand Drag Assoc.) That was what the drags were about..quick quads also, I remember..but it was not so dangerous and out of control. This is why most do not go to the drags anylonger. Comp Hill is the same..most responsible duners kick it at camp..w/a fireand some drink. Wish all would do that more often.. Also, for the serious draggers..there has been talk of getting the fast guys together and changing the drag spot to keep the rif-raf from knowing where it is happening. Still think to be safe stay away from Comp. and the drags.

Jeepin
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Jeepin »

I agree that a boycott may be in order. The sad thing is that all the "oldtimers" who are fed up with the behavior there and are boycotting these areas, are the ones who started the traditions. People have been going to the drags and comp for over 30 years with no problems, I guess we can start new traditions.Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.SAVE GLAMIS. Lost Coast 4x4's.

Roxanne
1st Gear Member

Post by Roxanne »

Well, I have to agree with boycotting the hill at night. When I went for Halloween, I all saw at the hill was a bunch of young, shaved-head punk kids sporting confederate and German flags on the same whip. To be honest, it may me very uncomfortable, I almost wanted to cry. When I first started going to Glamis, (when I was still in my Mom's tummy), there was only about 2-3 rows of buggies and ATC's. Everybody was there to race up the hill and show off their goods, now it's just, jeez, I don't even know what to call it. Not right, that's for sure. My fiance had decided to go on to Oldsmobile while I opted to go to the hill with our friends, I regret that decision. Those lawless kids with absolutely no supervision or guidance in life made me so upset I had to leave, that or I was going to start something that I probably couldn't finish. Anyhoo, the drags, on the other hand, well, let's just say that I personally haven't seen anything that can compare to what I saw at the hill that night. Besides, I love to race my quad! I am finally up and ready to ride again after an ACL surgery 3 months ago. I started my bike last week without any pain, and without any hesitation! We are going to be out there for 6 days over Christmas and I am more excited about that than I am about Christmas itself! I just wanted to get that off my chest.Have fun, Be smart, Ride hard, and do what you can to help the ASA, Sabi and anyone else who may call on you for help!See ya in the sand!

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”