High fuel prices = less crowds at the ISDRA?

Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Will high fuel prices cut down your # of trips to ISDRA?

Yes, I will make fewer trips.
26%
No, it won't make any difference. I will make my usual number of trips.
58%
I will make fewer trips but stay longer.
15%

Total votes: 53

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

High fuel prices = less crowds at the ISDRA?

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

Economists say that $3 per gallon is the magic number when it comes to folks cutting back on buying gas and diesel. I am wondering how this will affect crowds at the ISDRA this year.

For purposes of this poll - let's assume $3.50/gal.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by YFZ Bob »

Still making the same amount of trips... We just won't be going to any more movies or buy DVD's to support those EcoNut Stars. 8)

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Glamisbound »

What Bob said! Although I have been thinking about it more. In fact, I usually don't do this because I don't want to scare myself, but I calculated my fuel cost for my last trip to Pismo...

Coach - 81.25 gal x $3.10 per gal. = $251.88
Rail - 25 gal race fuel x $8 = $200

Grand total = $451.88 just for fuel. Like I said, when you don't calulate it out, it doesn't hurt as much.

Now, Glamis is about half the distance of Pismo for me but I'll burn more race fuel since we do a significantly more duning at Glamis on a typical weekend.

With two trips a month I estimate my wife and I will spend about $1000 per month just on fuel this season (that includes commuter miles and everything else). :x :x :x
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Fuel isn't that big of an issue for me. I burn more gas just driving around town in a week than I do on a trip to the dunes.

That's the nice thing about a fuel efficient rail and a 15 minute drive to get there :D

Vincent J Brunasso

That's the nice thing about a fuel efficient rail and a 15 minute drive to get there
Yeah, yeah. Rub it in.
Vincent J. Brunasso

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Just remember in the past my rail was fuel efficient because it would always break before using a tank of gas :D

Now at least it's gone a full season with no motor failures! And I've still yet to use a full tank of gas. Partially because of a bigger thank I added and partially because that 2.3 is a VERY frugal motor for the power it makes :D

I like to think I'm just finally being rewarded for the years of fighting with my car ;)

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

jhitesma wrote:Just remember in the past my rail was fuel efficient because it would always break before using a tank of gas :D
Ya but how many quarts of oil did you BLOW through? :lol:
Guy Chrest

Dune Shredder
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dune Shredder »

[That's the nice thing about a fuel efficient rail and a 15 minute drive to get there :D[/quote] :wink: ohhh bite me (ha hah)
If an endangerd spiecs eats another is it endangerd

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Vincent J Brunasso wrote:
That's the nice thing about a fuel efficient rail and a 15 minute drive to get there
Yeah, yeah. Rub it in.
OK, I won't add insult to injury. I'll just :lol: :lol:

:wink:
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

thor

Post by thor »

there was no traffic this whole weekeend.

it was great

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

I was thinking about this and one thing occurred to me.
If attendance is down this season will that cause a budget shortfall for the BLM?
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Sand Commander wrote:I was thinking about this and one thing occurred to me.
If attendance is down this season will that cause a budget shortfall for the BLM?
I would say that is a possibility.
'79 CJ5

Vincent J Brunasso

That is a good question. When sales of passes shifted from weekly to yearly, total dollar sales dropped. If it shifts back to weekly because some feel that is a better deal for them, we could see it shift back. It all depends on the total number of permits sold and what the mix is. However, skewing the outcome will be the new agreement with the new agency that will be doing the sales and enforcement coupled with new technology for enforcement and the ability to ticket a non-permitted vehicle without the owner present.

It will be interesting.
Vincent J. Brunasso

--Thomas Jefferson

Sand Commander

Post by Sand Commander »

the ability to ticket a non-permitted vehicle without the owner present.
Vince, When did this happen? I don't display my pass since there has been reports of them being stolen out of the vehicles. Is this something new or is it just now being enforced?
Bill Jones
Apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.
If you give in to fear and pain, there are thrills you will never know- North Dallas Forty
Government by the people has now been replaced by Government verses the people
The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter- Winston Churchill

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Sand Commander wrote:
Vince, When did this happen? I don't display my pass since there has been reports of them being stolen out of the vehicles. Is this something new or is it just now being enforced?
While this has been mentioned, when asked last season the BLM said that they had no reports filed of passes being stolen out of vehicles. They did say that people had claimed passes were stolen during enforcement.

The rules have always required that passes be displayed. Previously, the LEO's were ticketing the person, not the vehicle because the fee that was paid for was a "use permit".

What is different this season is that the pass is a "camping fee" wth enforcement tied to the parked vehicle by an Imperial County ordinance. I don't know the ordinance #, but expect to see a press release about the sales and enforcement of the passes in the near future.
'79 CJ5

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider »

I wonder how a street legal vehicle being hauled in will be handled. I'm looking for a Suzuki Samurai to put in my trailer as my "gold cart" and so we can go to town if needed.

Will they think I need a pass for that vehicle too?
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

Vincent J Brunasso

New upcoming season
I wonder how a street legal vehicle being hauled in will be handled. I'm looking for a Suzuki Samurai to put in my trailer as my "gold cart" and so we can go to town if needed.

Will they think I need a pass for that vehicle too?
I have this concern with my Jeep, too. I just make sure there's a whip on it and park it in off the pavement.
Vincent J. Brunasso

--Thomas Jefferson

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider »

What about driving it in and out of the ISDRA?

The way the law is written, If I transport all my stuff with my primary vehicle, my RV, and have a secondary vehicle, a jeep or Samurai in the trailer, and leave it parked in camp, does it need a pass? Does it need a pass to go to town and back?

The official answer in the past was no, as it was transported in, but now there is a new administrator with a lot more enforcing power. This needs to be solved and answered by the BLM AND ICSO prior to the season.

We need the answer in writing and posted.

I will ask at the SSSS too.
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

Vincent J Brunasso

The way the law is written, If I transport all my stuff with my primary vehicle, my RV, and have a secondary vehicle, a jeep or Samurai in the trailer, and leave it parked in camp, does it need a pass? Does it need a pass to go to town and back?

The official answer in the past was no, as it was transported in, but now there is a new administrator with a lot more enforcing power. This needs to be solved and answered by the BLM AND ICSO prior to the season.
We definitely want to get this cleared up before the season. We can ask Neil at the SSSS.
Vincent J. Brunasso

--Thomas Jefferson

Voice

Post by Voice »

Unfortunantly the CA Blm Website is conviently down at the moment so I'll try to paraphrase as best I can concerning the street legal vehicle issue.

Originally they charged for all "Primary" vehicles and did not define "Primary".
When people would use their Jeeps or trucks to go out of the area and then attempted to come back the BLM found that they could not distinguish between a vehicle that was towed in (and therefore, not a primary vehicle) and one that was driven in and may have used a borrowed permit.
So the BLM defined "Primary" to include any street legal vehicle which is driven out of the Glamis area onto the legal highways. In other words, any vehicle used to go to town or otherwise leave Glamis even if it was towed in would require a pass to re-enter Glamis.
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

A Family of 4
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative
ASA Legislative Affairs Representative

Post by A Family of 4 »

azsandrider wrote:What about driving it in and out of the ISDRA?

We haul out our Jeep with the bikes in our trailer. We have our pass for the truck, not one for the jeep. We just don't drive it back down the washroad. I have in the past and they stop me, I state this was trailered in. One guy started to give me a hard time and I asked him, does it look like this jeep is safe to go down a paved road????? duh! Oh, that's beside the point...

My best opinion is to avoid going through the check-points in the trailered vehicle, but if you have to, take the pass from the primary for the short trip to the store, Sweet Maries, etc. Then you won't get any grief for it.
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

-Ronald Reagan

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Just to save money I'll be buying an annual pass, and I'm sure A lot of people will be too. So If there are fewer trips or not will that really effect the over all monies as far as permits?

I plan on becoming truck trash at least once, taking my Dakota over to Olds, ya know just to say I duned my truck. This will be when I use it to tow something out there. I guess from what VOR said it'll need a pass anyway. If not I guess anybody could just go dune what ever tow vehicle they bring. I'd like to see a WENNIE out at Olds, although I'm sure there's been one out there.

Yes I'll be cutting back the number of trips this year. I HAD plenty of money bugeted for my rail to get done, I was just squeeking by and on scedule to geting things ready at what I budgeted, But I got to spend an extra $200 when someone took my tranny apart, didn't mark anything, said he'd put it back together, but I ended up having to buy a known good tranny. That was a trip worth of fuel for my tow vehicle. So there goes ONE trip. Fricken Idiot :x Either me for trusting him Or Him for being a moron that thought he knew how to work on cars.

I'm TRYING to stay away from credit cards too. I got one in the mail the other day. Hmmm I COULD use this for Gas???? Oh Hell no!!! They aren't adding 18% on to $3.00 a gallon.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”