Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sandnavigator
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Who's not at Glamis

Post by Sandnavigator »

Who decided to play it safe and stay home?

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Winston Cup »

Vince made me stay home and watch the board. Just kidding. I don't go on the big weekends anymore. I am going Dec 8th. I have more fun that way.Guy ChrestBoard AdministratorRace Grafx T-Shirt PrintingASA Supporter / Volunteerracegrafx@aol.com

gasman1
1st Gear Member

Post by gasman1 »

I also stay away from the big weekends. I have way more fun when the atmosphere is toned down. Happy Tday guys. Hope everyone out this weekend is safe and represents the OHV community in a good way. Jason aka gasman1

Janine

Post by Janine »

Janine is here!! My husband wouldnt let me go. Ha Ha!! We have 2 kids and like them to have a chance to enjoy themselves as much as we do. No fare for them on big weekends and Mom is to nervous. Really wanted to be there this weekend to help though.Take Care JanineBe Informed to Keep Public Land Public

Duneguy
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Duneguy »

I prefer going to the dunes when I'M the only idiot out there. Big Holidays = Choppy dunesFinally, I go to the dunes to GET AWAY from people.

Sandnavigator
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Sandnavigator »

Sorry gang forgot to add the Happy Thankgiving!!!!I hope every one had a great day. Tom

Tom Simrak
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Tom Simrak »

After a few t-days of going, I have decided I have had enough. I go the weekend before t-day and a few weeks after. My family has a much better time that way and I can find a place to park my motorhome without worring about being stuck. Turn on those lazer stars and have a good time. be-safe stay-sober and lets get our dunes backhttp://www.sandcars.com

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

It's only about a 45 minute drive from my house to the Glamis store so I haven't left yet. In fact I just now finished some last minute repairs on my rail. And as I type my friends are finishing a rebuild on the carb for their rail. We don't really camp in the developed camp areas anways so the crowds don't bother us. If we want to people watch we can cruise out to the busy areas. Of course now that there are fewer distant areas open we may have to search a little harder for a camp spot this year. We've also got a little more diverse group goign out this time including some younger members of one of our families. I still say it dosen't matter where you go - if you want trouble you can find it. And we don't really like to get mixed up in it. I know there are going to be people out there setting a bad example. Personally I'd like to be a part of the group that outnumbers them and shows the good side of our community. And with the type of news coverage this weekend is going to bring I think we need as many good examples out there as we can get!----Jason Hitesmanjason@hitesman.comhttp://www.hitesman.com/jasonEdited by - jhitesma on 11/23/2000 10:15:49 PM

MR-660R
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR-660R »

My wife wouldnt let me go this weekend, I dont think I would want to be out there anyways. Unless it was for the sole purpose of helping out. I am going on Dec 8th also, hopefully I will see some you all there.BTW, so where is the good places to camp in Glamis other than Gecko, I hear people mentioning Gordon's Well, where is that?Also, are there any cool areas by the washes? I would like an area that has dunes similar to the ones in front of Olds Hill, with lots of good jumping spots.About 90% of the trips that I have taken to Glamis I have camped somewhere off of Gecko Raod (usually pad 4), so I am looking to try something new this next trip out.______________________________________________>The Uni-Bomber was also an Environmentalists!<Edited by - MR-660R on 11/24/2000 12:27:09 AMEdited by - MR-660R on 11/24/2000 12:28:56 AM

asa_rick
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by asa_rick »

Wifey had to work this weekend, plus, like a lot of others, I just don't think the crowds are worth the hassle. I'm going out next weekend. My boys have friends who go to Gordons Well and want me to try camping there. Anyone familiar with that area? Good spots to camp/ride????? Think before you act, and make sure that your brain is in gear before you let out the clutch!!Rick JenkinsForum ModeratorASA VolunteerRjenk49957@aol.com

ride4ever
1st Gear Member

Post by ride4ever »

Gordon Wells is north from Buttercup, great place for the family!. Just wondering if any of you seen the San Diego Union-Tribune yesterday? had an article about the dune closures, I think it was kind of lazy on there part to inform the public on Thanksgiving day. Why couldn't they report this information days in advance?! As for me, I'm one of the unfortunate ones that have to work this holiday weekend. To all of you offroaders have a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!

Janine

Post by Janine »

Ride4ever,Hey can you locate that story for us and post it?? Would be interesting to see.Thanks Janine

Paleale
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Paleale »

I would have liked to have gone, But my buggy isn't built yet and I have to work.Hope Everybody Had a Good Thanksgiving PalealeSAVE GLAMIS Dune on...

Intelliduner
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Intelliduner »

The Union-Tribune article is currently at:http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/unio ... x.htmlIt's relatively weak, casts a dim light on the off-roaders. The comment about the BLM posting signs and informing the public "for weeks" was just plain wrong. We were out there Nov 3-5 and the rangers hadn't done a thing. They had a map inside the trailer--that's it. Maybe the past two weeks they stepped up their effort, but the article implies that they've been out there for longer.Like others on this board, I avoid the big weekends particularly for all the crazies out there. Unfortunately for us, that means that the crazies may outnumber the good guys like ourselves this weekend, and that spells trouble :--dennis

Glenn
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Glenn »

This is the first time in 12 years that we have not gone to the dunes. The motorhome would not run with the stuck valve, so it's stay home time. I wante to be out there but the wife said I could not use her van to tow with and my old datsun pickup will not tow the trailer and rail,,,, so here I sit, wishing I could be there to help out... Hope it's still there next month, will have the big Dodge runnin again.... Glennkf6iat@aol.comThe sand we save must be our own!

PilotMike
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by PilotMike »

I couldnt make it either. Too much work. I'll be living in Yuma starting on December so from then on I'll be at Buttercup most every weekend. I hope everything went as smooth as possible at Glamis with the closures.PilotMikeMike's Honda Pilot Pagehttp://members.aol.com/dunepilot

glamis5150
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by glamis5150 »

Didn't and don't go on Thanksgiving weekend. Too many people and chopped up dunes...We went the weekend before and it was Great!! Still enought crowd at the hills to stop and admire other folks toys...yet when you were actually out duning....very few people..it was nice. Hope everyone ahd a great Tday

nascar#2
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by nascar#2 »

We didn't go because of the crowd. We are going Thrusday (30th) for the weekend with our group. Hopefully the crowd will be gone and we can enjoy the dunes. We plan on taking trash bags in our buggy while we are out riding so that we can do a clean up too at the Comp or Olds after all of the mess is made. See all that are going there.

SMP-ERIC
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by SMP-ERIC »

I WAS OUT THERE THURS-SAT IT WAS PRETTY CALM ACTUALLY ONLY ONE FATALITY AND EVERY ONE WAS STAYING OUT OF CLOSED AREAS THERE WERE ABOUT 25 TREE HUGGERS OUT HTERE WACHING THE CLOSED AREA OVERALL GREAT WEEKEND I WILL BE OUT THERE NEXT WEEKEND I LIVE IN BRAWLEY IM OUT THERE ALMOST EVERY WEEKENDGLAMIS IS THE BEST

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

You live in brawley huh? Soooo good buddy, how big a garage you got?Guy ChrestBoard AdministratorRace Grafx T-Shirt PrintingASA Supporter / Volunteer

Gina
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Gina »

I JUST GOT back from the volunteer staging area at Gecko/ Glamis.....am very tired and will make a posting later tonight with some info......Thanks for your patience.GinaGina S.

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

Well, I wasn't there and I wasn't home... opted for Ocatillo Wells (annual trip with a less "dune-ready" family). Spent a lot of time spreading the word to a much different kind of OHV user. The ranger station posted a copy of the Stipulation and had bunches of hand-outs about the closures. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

jkperkins
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by jkperkins »

Someone asked about Gordon's Well--Take the 8 fwy east about 35 miles past El Centro, get off at the Gordon's Well exit, make a left, down to the "Pair a Dice" sign, make a right, follow that rode across the canal to "Dune Buggy Flats." This is a huge, flat parking area at the base of the hill that heads up to the dunes. It's my favorite place to camp, and the ground is firm enough for 2wd motorhomes, and is large enough that I've NEVER seen it full. We were there this weekend, and it was relatively quiet but, as usual, a blast!If possible, bring some kind of unique lighted marker (or a GPS) for your rig and/or campsite if you go. Unless you're right at the base of the hill, finding your way back to camp--especially when the dust kicks up--can be a real adventure!Edited by - jkperkins on 11/27/2000 12:29:43 AM

Jeepster
1st Gear Member

Post by Jeepster »

I stopped going on holiday weekends years ago. My kids were younger then and I didn't feel safe taking them there. The last holiday weekend at the dunes I saw a little girl (10 or 11 years old) get hit by a buggy that was racing through the camping area near the store. They picked up a piece of bone about 3 inches long that came from her leg. From that day on I stopped going on big weekends and camp far away from the crowds. I hope to make it out Dec. 8th with my son and his friends.Help keep America Free.

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry »

I went out on Friday, and stayed over night. I decided to be part of the solution and volunteer my time to help make everyone aware of the closures and what happens if we violate them. From what I saw, most everyone was on their best behavior, staying out of the closed areas where they were well-signed. The small central closure, however, had no signs whatsoever. I did shoot some video footage in what I think was the small central closure. I am cautiously optimistic about our chances for saving the dunes. Everybody I talked to seemed to understand what was at stake. I also spoke with some of the BLM people from El Centro and Sacramento. They were very thankful to see duners out in force to help educate other duners. Also, Sabi deserves a great big THANK YOU for all of his efforts in organizing the boundary patrols.I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe

Janine

Post by Janine »

Just curious!!!!!! Did anyone think to take pictures or film the extremists in there Hummers??????Should'nt they have been backpacking into the Dunes to catch all those violaters???I would have hated to see them run over something. OH ARE HUMMERS ENVIRO FRIENDLY??????? I guess if we could all afford those we would be in them instead of our sandrails. NOT!!! Where do they get the MONEY???? That is the QUESTION OF THE DAY?????JanineBe Informed to Keep Public Land Public!!!

BHenry

Post by BHenry »

I did not see the Hummers, but I did shoot some footage while I was out there. It was so much quieter than I expected that I didn't wind up with as much as I was hoping for. I did have my picture taken by the BLM with the signs Sabi had for the volunteers. The BLM people I spoke with had very positive comments about duners, and again were thankful for our support. Also, I am not certain, but we did see two power sail gliders (cross between paragliders and ultralights) circle the small central closure boundary. Can't tell for certain who they were, but I did get them on tape.I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”