Crossing to the washes from Ted Kipf

Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

CombsCustomCooling
1st Gear Member

Crossing to the washes from Ted Kipf

Post by CombsCustomCooling »

I read and printed out the article on the washes. I found out that the cross over point is about 6.6 miles from the Glamis Beach Store. Then I went to mapslive and found a picture of a possible crossover point. The next step is to find out if any one has used it lately and if a 35 foot motorhome and a truck with 16 foot trailer can cross there. Also, the article says this is around wash 23. I want to take the kids out for thanksgiving and dont want to deal with any crowds. Is all my research accurate? Any suggestions? Thanks.

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Crossing to the washes from Ted Kipf

Post by WoodIsGood »

Click here to see some discussion about the Clyde Crossing - about 9 miles down Ted Kipf. I believe the Ruthven Crossing, which is shown on Google Maps as being around wash 23, does not exist any more (if it ever did?).

If you don't want to deal with crowds, you should use the Clyde Crossing and stay near wash 40. I've done that the past 2 years - crossed with a motorhome pulling a trailer with no problem.

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Washroad »

The Clyde crossing is the only one. Take Ted Kipf Road about 8.3 miles, watch CLOSELY, a white pole on right side JUST BEFORE you need to make a right turn. If you're unsure, stop, get out and walk it to make sure. Once you turn right, there is no going back! It's not scary, just a bit of rough road, doesn't last long, then up and over the tracks. WATCH FOR TRAINS!!!! After you cross, find "your" spot and have a good time! WoodIsGood has camped with us there! :D :D
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

Washroad wrote:The Clyde crossing is the only one. Take Ted Kipf Road about 8.3 miles, watch CLOSELY, a white pole on right side JUST BEFORE you need to make a right turn. If you're unsure, stop, get out and walk it to make sure. Once you turn right, there is no going back! It's not scary, just a bit of rough road, doesn't last long, then up and over the tracks. WATCH FOR TRAINS!!!! After you cross, find "your" spot and have a good time! WoodIsGood has camped with us there! :D :D
Washer I believe there is a crossing at N. Cactus also but it is way south of Clyde just north of Ogilby.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Gene, I think you're right.
It's called Cactus Crossing.
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Do you guys mean that I'm wrong? again? :lol: :lol: :lol: Jeez, you're not even my wife, either of you! :lol: :lol: OK, lemme rephrase.......

Clyde crossing is the first crossing south of the highway and the only one I've used.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

While at the Poker Run today (now yeasterday) Glenn (no Lobuck Just Glenn) reported that the crossing at 23 is closed, chained and locked up. He first called it Clyde Crossing, but then he said "Wash 23 by where the train derailed" I didn't get a chance to go see my self but I sure hope somebody checks this out before we plan to use it.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Washroad wrote:Do you guys mean that I'm wrong? again? :lol: :lol: :lol: Jeez, you're not even my wife, either of you! :lol: :lol: OK, lemme rephrase.......

Clyde crossing is the first crossing south of the highway and the only one I've used.
Brian dont you feel the love :?:
Woody, its been awhile since I have over that crossing. But as I recall there is a Cactus like you said, that doesnt have the crossing and a N. Cactus that does. But that seems to be my recollection.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

What is this talk about a crossing at Wash23???

I camp right there, and I've never seen a crossing there. :?
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”