Is the 78 from Ocatillo to Ramona better on my tranny

Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

CombsCustomCooling
1st Gear Member

Is the 78 from Ocatillo to Ramona better on my tranny

Post by CombsCustomCooling »

My motorhome can make it out to Glamis pulling a trailer from San Diego but in order to get home I have a friend pull the trailer back because my tranny can not take the grade right before In-Ko-Pa exit. I was told that the 78 from Ocatillo up thru Ramona does have a transmission "friendly" grade. My source tells me the grade is like 1 and a half percent. I dont mind taking an extra hour to get home if that means I wont have to rely on a friend bringing the 16 foot flatbed back. Is it true that the 78 goes thru a valley rather than going straight up and over the mountain like the 8 freeway does? What do you think the steepest and longest part of the grade is? Can my 35 foot motorhome and 16 foot flatbed with 4 quads and 454 chevy make it home okay on the 78 in 2nd at about 35 without shifting down to first like i would have to if i took the 8? Thank you for your help and advice. Ive been going to the Dez for about 8 years now and I wish i would have found this weblsite earlier in my desert career as this website and the people on here have been very useful to me.

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Is the 78 from Ocatillo to Ramona better on my tranny

Post by ChuckZilla »

What's wrong with going down to first if it's gonna save an hour of your trip? Turn on the flashers and putt up the hill! And what's wrong with your coach? You only weigh about 16-17K, I can't believe a decent running BBC can't muscle 2nd over a moderate grade, my V-10 (414cu.in.) Ford pulling 18ft enclosed would hump second over Cajon Pass in the upper RPM's (4K) no sweat, and that setup scaled 19,600 ready to camp and ride.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Sandcock »

The worst grade coming back via 78 is Teofulio Grade on the S-2. Sometimes it dogs me down to 35 mph, but it's only for a couple of minutes. The route is West 78 past Ocotillo Wells; through the Narrows; right on S-2; left at 79; follow 79 to Santa Isabell; right on 78 to Ramona; and then wherever you are going after that :D Or you can take the 76 off of 79 to I-15. You'll hit Palomar Grade going down and will need to run lower gears and brake some. The grades on 78 and 79 are not bad after Teofulio. Happy motoring :wink:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

For the record, I travel from Ramona too and have taken both routes many times. First of all, the route you are talking about is NOT an hour longer, it's actually SHORTER by about 15 minutes!!! Second, it will be easier on your rig!!!

While there are a couple grades that will slow you down, the majority of the route is less steep than highway 8. You definitely should try it and see how your rig handles it.

From Ramona:

1. 78 east out of town
2. 79 north at Santa Ysabelle
3. Right on S2 east
4. Left at the T with highway 78
5. Right on 78/111 all the way to Glamis

Keep in mind, even though you could take 78 the entire way, you don't want to go through Julian (that is why you turn north at Santa Ysabelle to bypass Julian) because the road becomes very steep and twisty.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

MattV
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by MattV »

Glamisbound wrote:
Keep in mind, even though you could take 78 the entire way, you don't want to go through Julian (that is why you turn north at Santa Ysabelle to bypass Julian) because the road becomes very steep and twisty.
But they have such excellent pies and buffalo burgers in Julian.
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

jce12ga
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by jce12ga »

I may have missed it in the other posts, but are you also running an external oil cooler on your rig for your transmission?
I have driven up and down all the major grades out of San Diego into the desert. Mountain Springs on I8 is probably the longest, Banner through Julian is the narrowest and windiest, followed closely by Montezuma grade into Borrego, The grade up S2 from Scissors Crossing is probably the easiest.

Back to the trans cooler: If you are not running an external oil cooler get one !! I run a stacked plate type that is about 8 1/2" X 11" in size. It may also be a good idea to run an external fan and trans temp. guage. Lot cheaper than a trans.
This will also help your engine run cooler, most factory trans coolers are in the radiator
and the radiator coolant is being used to cool both the engine and the trans. Less heat from the the trans means more cooling for the engine.
Get a book on your transmission, library, swap meet,....
I currently drive a 25 foot Class A MH with a Dodge 440 and a Torqueflite 727 trans. pulling a 20 ft. open trailer loaded with a buggy, quad and camping goodies.

Good luck and happy duning !!!
Been to El Yeti lately?

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry »

MattV wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:
You don't miss the Julian Pie Company this way, its right at the 78/79 junction.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

BHenry wrote:
MattV wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:
You don't miss the Julian Pie Company this way, its right at the 78/79 junction.
Yeah, you can get plenty of good stuff in Santa Ysabelle (corner of 78/79). Don't forget the jalepeno cheese bread from Dudleys...man oh man is that stuff good.

BTW, I think the restaurant on the corner there (the name escapes me) has changed owners. Stopped there on the way home last Sunday night for dinner...YUCK! It was horible.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

MattV

Post by MattV »

The one with old soda fountain?
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

BHenry wrote:
MattV wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:
Went there Sunday on the way home. I live in Ramona and take the S2 when I have the trailer. It's an hour and a half. On the 78 in just the truck, it's like 45 min. :D
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”