Motorhome parking at Gordons?

Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

CombsCustomCooling
1st Gear Member

Motorhome parking at Gordons?

Post by CombsCustomCooling »

We are going out to Gordons March 7th. Are there any hard packed areas or cement pads to park a 35' motorhome thats pulling a 16' 2 axle trailer? I ask this because I am worried about getting stuck in the sand. I got this rig stuck in the dirt at Ocatillo on a slight up hill. The wheels just would not start turning. I had to unhook the trailer then put the jacks down in order to raise the tires off the ground and put carpet under them. Still wouldnt turn. In the end I had another truck pull me with a tow rope just to get the wheels to turn on an unnoticable grade. I have been out to Gordons a few times before, but never with a motorhome. Any information would be appreciated.

DS650
1st Gear Member

Re: Motorhome parking at Gordons?

Post by DS650 »

You would probably be safer if you went to Gray's Well; there's quite a bit of hard packed places to park right off the asphalt road.

Good luck!

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jhitesma »

I've always found the camping areas at Gordon's to be more hard packed than those at Buttercup...but I know a lot of people who disagree with my opinion on that :D

My friend has a 35' RV with a 25' enclosed trailer and has never gotten stuck at Gordon's. Just keep moving and let your momentum keep you up. He even cruised through a soft patch that had me worried in my 4WD truck (with 4WD engaged) and single axle trailer. I haven't had my 25' RV out there yet (just got it in December) but I'm not worried about taking it out there.

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by gelwell »

The biggest problem used to be leaving Gordons right at the canal bridge. Before they put the gravel in a lot rigs used to get stuck before climbing out from the flat to the road. There are still some soft spots but nothing different than anywhere else.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”