From the news: 2009/10 Accidents in the ISDRA

Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

From the news: 2009/10 Accidents in the ISDRA

Post by Woodglue »

This thread is where I will post any news articles that I come across pertaining to Accidents in the ISDRA.

Let's be safe folks!
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Re: From the news: 2009/10 Accidents in the ISDRA

Post by Woodglue »

From here
Man Killed In Violent Accident At Sand Dunes
Oct 26, 2009 10:25 PM PDT
Reported By: Rob Hughes (rhughes@kswt.com)

Imperial County, CA October 26- A man is killed at the sand dunes in a violent accident. Police say it's a tragedy that everyone can learn from.

Police say a 34 year old Tijuana man's life was tragically cut short Friday afternoon after his ATV plummeted 45 feet down a "cut slope" in Imperial County's "Dune Buggy Flats."

"It wasn't a razorback, it's just a cut slope, but because of the wind shift, it deletes one side of the dune, and it's unexpected, and when you fall it would be pretty steep and causes great damage to the body," said Officer Jose Sanchez with the California Highway Patrol in Winterhaven.

Sanchez is seeing lots of people hit the dunes this season, while riding their ATV's very fast in unforgiving terrain.

"The terrain is very dangerous out there, the terrain often changes due to increasing winds off and on; you can't expect a flat surface if you're going up a steep slope," said Sanchez.

Sanchez says no matter your experience level, a few time-tested safety methods could keep you out of the hospital, and save your life.

"Everybody should be aware to drive slow, get familiar with the area first, and then gain some experience before you take off and start riding," said Sanchez.

However, even if you follow safety precautions to the "T," Sanchez explains that there are no guarantees in the dunes, and encourages you to always be careful.

"My advice is to take as much information as possible, take classes on how to wear the proper equipment out there, even though you wear the proper equipment, it could get dangerous; you could break legs and limbs," said Sanchez.

Police say the accident is under investigation.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

From here:
Mexican man killed in off-roading accidentOctober 26, 2009 2:26 PM
BY JAMES GILBERT, SUN STAFF WRITER
A 34-year-old Tijuana man who crashed his all-terrain vehicle at the Imperial Sand Dunes was killed late Friday afternoon in what may be an alcohol-related wreck.

According to the California Highway Patrol, the man, whose name has not been released yet, was off-roading in an area of the dunes commonly referred to as Dune Buggy Flats.

Dune Buggy Flats is approximately one mile north of Interstate 8 and about one mile east of Gordons Well Road.

CHP Officer Eric Price said the man was riding a 660 Yamaha Raptor when he drove over a steep sand dune hill, which caused him to become airborne.

As a result, the man landed about 45 feet below the hill. Price said the man had been wearing a helmet, but due to the force at which he hit the ground, he sustained fatal injuries.

"He was camped with a small group of people and had gone out riding on his own," Price said. "Friends in his camp said he had been drinking prior to going out riding, but they didn't say how much."

Alcohol is considered to have been a factor in the accident, which was reported at about 4 p.m. on Friday afternoon.

The man who died is a Mexican national and a resident of Tijuana.

According to a search of the Yuma Sun's archives, two other people have been killed, in two separate incidents, so far this year at the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area.

The first occurred on Feb. 17, when an 8-year-old girl from San Diego died in a quad accident.

The second accident happened in March and claimed the life of a Yuma-based Marine, who was killed when his all-terrain vehicle toppled over and rolled down a dune.

James Gilbert can be reached at jgilbert@yumasun.com or 539-6854.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

YumaDune
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by YumaDune »

From what I heard and saw this weekend at Buttercup.... One buggy endowed crushing the drivers area of the upper cage, a Razor burned to the ground and one Arctic Cat Burned to the ground and thrown in a dumpster??? and from what we saw very few people compared to Halloweens past!!
It's Just Sand!!!

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

I just finished scanning though all the news alerts.
Looks like it was a good weekend out there. I didn't read about any accidents or injuries. Usually, they would be in the papers by now. So, all in all, this is great news!
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

The 3 Crosses at wash three, what happened to them? Seems that they've been removed or placed elsewhere?
Or, did I need to replace my glasses?

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Per here:
62-year-old dies off-roading
Written by George Gale
Monday, 09 November 2009
(Santee man dies in the Dunes)…Deputy Coroner Tommy Garcia says the man collapsed Saturday afternoon.

He says 62-year-old Michael James Rorke was driving his sand rail in Glamis, near Oldsmobile Hill when he collapsed. Medical Aid was summoned at just before 1:00 pm. Garcia says he received a call at around 2:00 pm. An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday to determine the exact cause of death. The Deputy Coroner says it appears to be natural.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

Woodglue wrote:Per here:
Written by George Gale
Monday, 09 November 2009
(Santee man dies in the Dunes)…Deputy Coroner Tommy Garcia says the man collapsed Saturday afternoon.

He says 62-year-old Michael James Rorke was driving his sand rail in Glamis, near Oldsmobile Hill when he collapsed. Medical Aid was summoned at just before 1:00 pm. Garcia says he received a call at around 2:00 pm. An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday to determine the exact cause of death. The Deputy Coroner says it appears to be natural.
here we go again another statistic not indicative of a sport related fatality. I am sure this will get counted as a ISDRA fatality even though it should not be entered at all.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound »

RAD4EVER wrote:The 3 Crosses at wash three, what happened to them? Seems that they've been removed or placed elsewhere?
The crosses were removed from the old location since they were on RR property, access to which is now very liminted. The croses will be moved and set at a new location on 11/14 by many of the same people that set it the first time. If you would like more info on to help with the move go to Glamisdunes.com, or let me know and I'll get the info for you.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

Thank you for update. I'll look at the site for info, but if not, would like head out to new spot and lay down some silk flowers the wife usually leaves. Your input will be appreciated.
Later,
RAD

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

RAD4EVER wrote:Thank you for update. I'll look at the site for info, but if not, would like head out to new spot and lay down some silk flowers the wife usually leaves. Your input will be appreciated.
Later,
RAD
Here you go...

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/ind ... pic=189553
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

From here:
Two Die In Separate Off Road Accidents
Written by Carroll Buckley
Saturday, 14 November 2009
The Imperial County Coroners Office is investigating two separate off-road accidents that claimed two lives Saturday. The first accident was reported at 10;06 a.m. Saturday along Gordens Well Road just north of Interstate 8. The Bureau of Land Management ( BLM ) , Imperial County Sheriffs Department, Yuma's Rural Metro Fire , REACH helicopter and the County Coroners Office all responded to the incident. The 43-year old victim was pronounced dead at the scene. The second accident occurred in the Glamis area near Gecko Road and the First Loop. Initial reports indicate that a motorcycle went out of control and rolled causing fatal injuries to the rider who was pronounced dead at the scene. Both accidents remain under investigation and no further information is available at this time.
:(
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

More news about one of the two that I posted of earlier this morning. From here:
Off-Road fatality identified
Written by George Gale
Monday, 16 November 2009
(23-year-old San Dimas man identified)…The County Coroners Office says Nicholas Mollard died Saturday.
The California Highway Patrol reports Mollard was riding a quad all terrain vehicle at the time of his death. He was riding at the Glamis Dunes, just east of Gecko loop. Mollard reportedly went up a dune, but was unaware of a 60-foot drop down the other side. The quad went out of control. The CHP says the 23-year-old was ejected, and suffered fatal injuries. The tragedy was reported at 2:45 Saturday afternoon. Mollard was pronounced dead at the scene.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Another bit of news about Nicholas Mollard. From here:
Fatal ATV Accident

Glamis, CA November 16 — A 23-year-old inexperienced ATV rider died Saturday of unspecified injuries. He was thrown after an off-road accident in an area not far from Gecko Road, according to a press release.

The man, a San Dimas resident is not being identified pending notification of relatives. Officers say he died at the scene.

They believe he lost control of his ATV while trying to descend a steep sand dune.

There were no other vehicles involved in the incident.
I've still not seen a update on "The 43-year old victim" who reportedly died in the South Dunes on Sat.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Woodglue wrote:Another bit of news about Nicholas Mollard. From here:
Fatal ATV Accident

Glamis, CA November 16 — A 23-year-old inexperienced ATV rider died Saturday of unspecified injuries. He was thrown after an off-road accident in an area not far from Gecko Road, according to a press release.

The man, a San Dimas resident is not being identified pending notification of relatives. Officers say he died at the scene.

They believe he lost control of his ATV while trying to descend a steep sand dune.

There were no other vehicles involved in the incident.
I've still not seen a update on "The 43-year old victim" who reportedly died in the South Dunes on Sat.
The 43 was a woman who was duning on quads with her husband and son. Not sure of more details.

Very sad times in the dunes.

RIP Fellow duners!!!
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

Glamisbound wrote:
RAD4EVER wrote:The 3 Crosses at wash three, what happened to them? Seems that they've been removed or placed elsewhere?
The crosses were removed from the old location since they were on RR property, access to which is now very liminted. The croses will be moved and set at a new location on 11/14 by many of the same people that set it the first time. If you would like more info on to help with the move go to Glamisdunes.com, or let me know and I'll get the info for you.
GB, either the post is buried deep in GlamisDunes or not hitting the right topic/forum? Could use a quick link if possible?
Thanks,
RAD

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

gelwell wrote:
Written by George Gale
Monday, 09 November 2009

here we go again another statistic not indicative of a sport related fatality. I am sure this will get counted as a ISDRA fatality even though it should not be entered at all.
Heres the thing Gelly. Medics still need to be on hand for incodents like these. Lets say I have a heart episode in camp. You call the ranger station and they say Its not an OHV related injuury we'll have to call someone in from Brawley. That would suck for me.

I do know from the DACSG meetings the calls are seperated and gone through at the end of the season. In the press perhaps its all thrown together, which is wrong. But within the BLM I know they are seperated. In my opinion, Staffing still should include for all incodents.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

RAD4EVER wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:
GB, either the post is buried deep in GlamisDunes or not hitting the right topic/forum? Could use a quick link if possible?
Thanks,
RAD
I already did in the other thread in which we were discussing this....let me see if I can find it again.
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Oh, here it is RAD...it was posted above actually.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/ind ... pic=189553
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Slop I disagree. Our advisaries use those numbers against us as being OHV fatalities when they have no business as a statistic at all. Got no problem with medics being on hand for "incodents" or as I like to call them "incidents", they are in the area anyway. What I take umbrance to is a crash on 8 in the dune area being counted or someone visiting the area dying and having nothing to do with duning at all. Or a guy whose time has come and having a heart attack while in the dunes. The guy had a heart attack, the dunes didnt cause it. But somehow that gets counted when it really should not be.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Mudkattgowfo
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Mudkattgowfo »

Woodglue wrote:More news about one of the two that I posted of earlier this morning. From here:
Off-Road fatality identified
Written by George Gale
Monday, 16 November 2009
(23-year-old San Dimas man identified)…The County Coroners Office says Nicholas Mollard died Saturday.
The California Highway Patrol reports Mollard was riding a quad all terrain vehicle at the time of his death. He was riding at the Glamis Dunes, just east of Gecko loop. Mollard reportedly went up a dune, but was unaware of a 60-foot drop down the other side. The quad went out of control. The CHP says the 23-year-old was ejected, and suffered fatal injuries. The tragedy was reported at 2:45 Saturday afternoon. Mollard was pronounced dead at the scene.

For those of us that are not in the Dunes every weekend and do not know them like our own backyard, does anyone know where, approx from Gecko Loop as starting point, this "Steep" dune is? It seems like this is the second time I have read about someone cresting a dune and hitting a steep "slipface" being ejected and dying. I cannot imagine anything steeper than China Wall in Glamis or Choke Cherry in St A's and people seem to ride those. Thanks

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

I think what they are referring to is a dune that isn't flat on top, but rather is steep on both sides. A person who rides straight up a dune like that thinking they'll do a jump at the lip and land on the flat top gets a rather frightening, and sometimes deadly, surprise when there is nothing to land on but air for many feet down. Dunes like this exist throughout the ISDRA which is why you should never crest a dune straight up the face unless you've already seen what the top is like. And even then you should have a spotter so you don't hit someone coming up the other side.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

From about about the Gecko Loop south towards Roadrunner there is a somewhat gentle slope on leaving Gecko Road going east. That slope comes to crest/razor. On the east side of the crest/razor there are major slides. You definitely don't haul straight over the top of them. Those that do pay for it. You either transition them somewhat parallel to the razor or go over at 90 degrees cautiously. The bottom line is that you either familiarize yourself with the topography and adjust to your riding skills, or ride with someone that is a competent experienced and good leader.

It is very unfortunate and sad when we as a dunning community here about accidents where someone has hauled straight over a crest/razor which ends in tragedy. Those types of accidents are definitely preventable.

My heart felt condolences to those that have lost their loved ones :cry:

In this photo you will see Gecko Loop and the first crest east of it. Steep slides.
Attachments
GlamisGeckoCamp-5.jpg
GlamisGeckoCamp-5.jpg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 22542 times
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Glenn
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Glenn »

When camping at Geko, the north loop has a flat section going east and a dune with a large sharp drop off on the other side. When going directly east from the north most section of the north loop, there is a saddle in that dune, with the same sharp drop off. I think that is the area that was in the accident.

The area is shown at the top of the photo Sandcock posted. I have ridden off that area several times even at night and always take it slow. A friend was going for the bottom back up to the top westward and had the throttle stick on his rail and flew about 40 feet past the ridge. Not hurt in the landing but damaged the rail.

When we camp at Geko I always am nerves about the kids ridding that ridge and “falling off” down the back side. When my son was little on his LT80, he did go over and could not get back. I was riding with him and we had to go south a ways to get over the ridge and back to camp.

It is always sad to hear of a passing, If I was to have a hart attack and be called home, being in the dunes doing what brings peace to my sole would be a good thing. Lets hope that there are no more.
Glenn
KF6IAT
Go fast, turn left, and look both ways and have FUN

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

From here:
California boy dies after dunes accident
December 29, 2009 8:53 PM

A California boy died Tuesday morning after an accident in the Imperial County Sand Dunes. According to the California Highway Patrol, the 13 year old child was from Santee, Calif.

Police said the boy was driving a 2006 Suzuki Quad Racer R450 at about 10:20 a.m. California time in the open desert area of the sand dunes north of Interstate 8 and east of the Coachella Canal.

According to police, the boy went over a sand dune crest and became airborne. Upon impact he lost control of the vehicle and was ejected, sustaining fatal injuries.
CHP said the boy was air lifted to the El Centro Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead due to internal injuries at 11:55 a.m. California time by an attending physician.

CHP said the boy was wearing a helmet, and added alcohol or drug impairment is not suspected to be a contributing factor in the accident.

CHP is currently investigating the cause of the accident.

Chris McDaniel can be reached at cmcdaniel@yumasun.com or 539-6849.
That's a big bike!
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Here is another article about the same 13 yr old boy:
VALLEY POLICE BEAT: Santee boy, 13, dies in off-road incident at Imperial Sand Dunes
By SILVIO J. PANTA, Staff Writer

Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:36 AM PST

WINTERHAVEN — A 13-year-old Santee boy died from internal injuries Tuesday after he rode a off-road vehicle over the crest of a sand dune and was ejected, a California Highway Patrol officer said in a press statement.

The boy, whose full name was not released, was pronounced dead at El Centro Regional Medical Center following the 10:20 a.m. report of the crash that occurred at the Imperial Sand Dunes north of Interstate 8 and east of the Coachella Canal, Highway Patrol Officer Justin Jones said.

The boy was wearing a helmet when he went over the dune and lost control of the 2006 Suzuki Quadracer, Jones said. The incident is under investigation.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

The 13yr old boy is Frank McCullogh
Per here:
Tuesday 13 year old Frank McCullogh from Santee suffered fatal injuries in an off-road incident in the Imperial Sand Dunes, east of the Coachella Canal and north of Interstate 8. Autopsies are being conducted to determine the exact cause of death for both individuals.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

I wasn't sure, so I looked it up.
Per here, this is a 2006 Suzuki Quad Racer R450:
:shock:
129_0611_03_z+2006_suzuki_quadracer_r450+front_view_with_rider.jpg
And it's a flat out RACE BIKE :shock:

There's a lot of talk on the web about this, and it's pretty easy to lunge out right here. But, this thread isn't the place for it.
For Frank McCullogh, this is noting short of being absolutely unfortunate. From what I've read in other places today, he was a bright kid, and a experienced duner.

While our emoticons cant do it justice....
:cry: :cry:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla »

On our very first ride of my NY's trip on Tuesday morning we passed the crash scene, I think the helo was just getting ready to leave, did not find out until last night that the accident was fatal for the rider. I have some issues with what I'm reading but this is not the place to discuss it. God rest the young man.
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

GlamisSandDuner
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Post by GlamisSandDuner »

Haven't seen anything about this on the news, but yesterday (Friday) afternoon we went by Oldsmobile around 3pm to find a quad wedged 1/2 way under a buggy and an individual in a body bag in the Blm buggy. If you are at the bottom of Oldsmobile looking up it was on the far right side about 40 feet from the top. I asked a person that had been there a while what happened and he told me that the buggy was going down hill and the quad up hill, then he said that the buggy T-boned the quad which spun the buggy around 180 degrees so it came to rest pointing up hill. Sounds like the quad may have turned in front of the buggy. This is the kind of thing that I think might happen on a major weekend, not on an off weekend on a Friday afternoon.

That being said, God rest his or hers soul....... my heart goes out to their family.
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

GlamisSandDuner

I found this on the other website

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/ind ... 98304&st=0

Rest In Peace fellow duner [-o<
'05 TRX450R

old flatty
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by old flatty »

I.V. Press This Morning
GLAMIS — An Arizona man who died in an crash over the weekend was identified Monday by the Imperial County Coroner’s Office.
Cory Herbert, of Prescott Valley, Ariz., rode a quad that collided with a sand rail Friday in Glamis, Imperial County Deputy Coroner Eric Frazier said.

Herbert died at the scene of the noon collision, Frazier said.
real Jeeps have flatfenders

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Per here:
Fatal accident in Glamis
A day at the dunes takes a tragic turn... when two riders collide in glamis.

Imperial County Sheriff's deputies say 20-year-old cory herbert from Prescott valley came up a hill in his sand buggy and smashed into an atv.

Neither driver saw the other coming.

Herbert died at the scene -- the other driver was not hurt.

No charges have been filed yet -- but the California Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
:? So they said rail driver passed away? I would bet that the article is incorrect.
--------------------------

The one that Old Flatty posted, Per here seems more accurate.
Arizona man who died in quad accident identified

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:12 AM PST

GLAMIS — An Arizona man who died in an crash over the weekend was identified Monday by the Imperial County Coroner’s Office.
Cory Herbert, of Prescott Valley, Ariz., rode a quad that collided with a sand rail Friday in Glamis, Imperial County Deputy Coroner Eric Frazier said.

I am amazed at the sparce media coverage of this! These are the only two articles on the web as of now, and even these are just 8 hours old! It's really rare for the media to not cover something like this, especially with 4 days passed since it occured.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Fatal accident in Glamis
A day at the dunes takes a tragic turn... when two riders collide in glamis.

Imperial County Sheriff's deputies say 20-year-old cory herbert from Prescott valley came up a hill in his sand buggy and smashed into an atv.

Neither driver saw the other coming.

Herbert died at the scene -- the other driver was not hurt.

No charges have been filed yet -- but the California Highway Patrol is investigating the crash.
:? So they said rail driver passed away? I would bet that the article is incorrect.
--------------------------

The one that Old Flatty posted, Per here seems more accurate.
Arizona man who died in quad accident identified

Tuesday, February 2, 2010 1:12 AM PST

I am amazed at the sparce media coverage of this! These are the only two articles on the web as of now, and even these are just 8 hours old! It's really rare for the media to not cover something like this, especially with 4 days passed since it occured.
My guess is because it was an off weekend, if it was a holiday weekend it would have been covered

old flatty
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by old flatty »

yes, it is surprising about the coverage.
IVP only has e-reporting on Mondays.
I've noticed Tuesday is the day most news hits their paper.
(or they read it somewhere else and then print it)

just a terrible accident for those involved
real Jeeps have flatfenders

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

There is no date on this news release, but I can only assume they are referring to this past weekend.
From here:
Two die in sand dune crashes
It was a deadly weekend in the Imperial County Sand Dunes. Two accidents took the lives of two young men. The first crash happened Friday night at the Buttercup dunes killing 20 year old Dayton Widick from Glendale Arizona.

Then on Sunday -- Jose Antonio Flores Junior died at Superstition Mountain. Flores was from El Centro and was just 24-years-old. Both men were tossed out of their quads.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Sad news. RIP brother offroaders!
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Hmm, Superstition is a hundred miles west of the dunes and they are saying an accident happened there. Not very accurate reporting. Condolences to the families.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

It says "Imperial County Sand Dunes" and Superstition is technically a sand dune in Imperial County.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Jerry Seaver
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Jerry Seaver »

Imperial Valley Police Beat: Sun City man dies in Glamis
By IMPERIAL VALLEY PRESS STAFF

Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:07 AM

GLAMIS — A Sun City man died Friday from injuries sustained while riding a quad here, the California Highway Patrol reported.
The man’s name was unknown as of press time Friday.

While riding a quad the man went off of a sharp edge and flipped his quad in an open desert area, said Highway Patrol Officer Pablo Torrez.

It is unknown what time the incident occurred, but the Highway Patrol received the call at 2:50 p.m. Friday. The man died at the scene from his injuries.

Vincent J Brunasso

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

On the other hand...

Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

those numbers look good for today, But I guess it depends on what date "YTD" is for.....
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Jerry Seaver wrote:Imperial Valley Police Beat: Sun City man dies in Glamis
By IMPERIAL VALLEY PRESS STAFF

Saturday, March 27, 2010 1:07 AM

GLAMIS — A Sun City man died Friday from injuries sustained while riding a quad here, the California Highway Patrol reported.
The man’s name was unknown as of press time Friday.

While riding a quad the man went off of a sharp edge and flipped his quad in an open desert area, said Highway Patrol Officer Pablo Torrez.

It is unknown what time the incident occurred, but the Highway Patrol received the call at 2:50 p.m. Friday. The man died at the scene from his injuries.

From here:
Sun City man killed in Desert
Written by George Gale
Monday, 29 March 2010
(28 year old killed in off-road accident)….The California Highway Patrol says Donald Morgan died at just before 3:00 pm Friday.

Morgan, from Sun City, California was riding a Yamaha Banchee in the open desert in the Glamis area at a high rate of speed. The CHP says Morgan rode the Yamaha up a hill, but failed to observe a sharp decline on the other side. The Highway Patrol says the Banchee launched into the air before colliding with dirt terrain. Morgan was ejected from the vehicle and suffered fatal injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The County Coroners office says an autopsy will be performed Tuesday to determine the cause of death.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Condolences to the family. Man o man only 28, a real shame.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

From here
Fatal injury victims identified
Written by George Gale
Monday, 05 April 2010
(Two deaths Friday)…The County Coroners Office identifies both victims.

Deputy Coroner Eric Frazier says Andreas Lopez Fernandez was killed after the vehicle he was in rolled. The man was driving on Coachella canal Road when he lost control. The vehicle rolled, ejecting the driver. The vehicle landed on top of the man. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Frazier says the driver was an undocumented migrant, but he had a wife in Northern California. Friday evening a sand rail collided with a quad in the Sand Drags area of Gordon’s Well. The 37-year-old rider of the quad suffered fatal injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Frazier said he was identified as Jason Knoes of Lakeside. Autopsies will be conducted this week.

I don't know if the accident on Coachella Canal Road is within the ISDRA. Much of the road is, but some of it is not. At any rate, I would not consider a death with a truck on a dirt road to be a OHV related situation.

37 year old Jason Knoes of Lakeside was a friend of a relative of a ASA bbs member. A loss this close to home is certainly more painful for our community. :cry: Dune on Jason!
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

GlamisSandDuner

Woodglue wrote:
Friday evening a sand rail collided with a quad in the Sand Drags area of Gordon’s Well. The 37-year-old rider of the quad suffered fatal injuries. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Frazier said he was identified as Jason Knoes of Lakeside. Autopsies will be conducted this week.

Woodglue wrote:
37 year old Jason Knoes of Lakeside was a friend of a relative of a ASA bbs member. A loss this close to home is certainly more painful for our community. :cry: Dune on Jason!
Jason was a close friend of my sister. From what she has told me about him, losing him was a tremendous loss to everyone who's life he touched :cry: . He was one those special individuals who always had a great outlook on life O:) . My heart truly goes out to the whole Knowles family [-o< . Jason left behind a wife and two kids :cry: . I will keep everyone posted if there is a way to help out his family during this difficult time.
Last edited by GlamisSandDuner on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'05 TRX450R

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Sad news for all of us. Condolences from the GB family!!
GLAMISBOUND

'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50

RX 4 INSANDITY
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RX 4 INSANDITY »

Very sorry to hear about another death at the dunes. Condolences to the family.

Is this the first death at the "drags"? I know there has been lots of talk about people getting hurt at the "drags", but I can't remember any deaths there. Got to wonder if a death will have an impact on the "drags" event each weekend?? It is a difficult subject.

--Mike
Offroading and Concern for the Environment are NOT Mutually Exclusive

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Sorry to hear about Jason's unfortunate fatal accident. There are a lot of ways a person can be injured in circumstances that arise when riding in unmarked areas and amidst unknown quantities of participants and the chance of something unforeseen occurring....I think perhaps that describes the off-road scene "unforeseen circumstances"....Prayers for Jason and sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

From here:
55 Year old dies in Sand Dunes
Written by George Gale
Monday, 12 April 2010
(Santee man dies in the dunes)….The County Coroners office says he was pronounced dead in the Glamis area.

They say 55 year old Phillip Meyers was in the Glamis Sand Dunes Saturday. At around 2:16 in the morning Meyers complained he was not feeling well. Fellow campers began to transport the man out of the dunes when he stopped breathing. They attempted CPR and called for help. Paramedics arrived, but could not revive the man, He was pronounced dead. An autopsy is pending to try and determine the cause of death.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”