Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: From the news: 2009/10 Accidents in the ISDRA

Post by Sandcock »

We made a ride from Pad 4 to the South Dunes this past Thursday and there was an accident in the dunes. We also saw the helo when we were coming south. Not sure what happened as I didn't go over there and start rubbernecking.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

Sandcock wrote:We made a ride from Pad 4 to the South Dunes this past Thursday and there was an accident in the dunes. We also saw the helo when we were coming south. Not sure what happened as I didn't go over there and start rubbernecking.
Don't know if this is related, but from here:
Camper's death a mystery
Written by George Gale
Monday, 19 April 2010
(Camper found dead)….Sheriff’s Deputies found the man.

The Deputies were asked by fellow campers to check on the man. They said he had not been seen for a couple weeks. When they arrived at his campsite near Winterhaven, they found him diseased. Chief Deputy Coroner Sergeant Charles Lucas said the death is under investigation. He said not much information could be released at this time. He said more will be known following an autopsy Tuesday. He said the man appeared to be in his 50’s. Also over the weekend, a 46 year old Off-Roader was taken to an area hospital where he died. Lucas says Jack Oaks of San Bernardino was in the Glamis area when he complained of chest pains. He was taken to Pioneers Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday.
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

The Deputies were asked by fellow campers to check on the man. They said he had not been seen for a couple weeks. When they arrived at his campsite near Winterhaven, they found him diseased.
or deceased :?:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

I think you're right.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Woodglue wrote:
Sandcock wrote:We made a ride from Pad 4 to the South Dunes this past Thursday and there was an accident in the dunes. We also saw the helo when we were coming south. Not sure what happened as I didn't go over there and start rubbernecking.
Don't know if this is related, but from here:
Camper's death a mystery
Written by George Gale
Monday, 19 April 2010
(Camper found dead)….Sheriff’s Deputies found the man.

The Deputies were asked by fellow campers to check on the man. They said he had not been seen for a couple weeks. When they arrived at his campsite near Winterhaven, they found him diseased. Chief Deputy Coroner Sergeant Charles Lucas said the death is under investigation. He said not much information could be released at this time. He said more will be known following an autopsy Tuesday. He said the man appeared to be in his 50’s. Also over the weekend, a 46 year old Off-Roader was taken to an area hospital where he died. Lucas says Jack Oaks of San Bernardino was in the Glamis area when he complained of chest pains. He was taken to Pioneers Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead. An autopsy is scheduled for Tuesday.
Came across an article about one ofthe the sons of last season's final loss... Jack Oakes.
Cajon's Oakes perseveres after father's death

10:00 PM PDT on Saturday, October 23, 2010

By JOHN MURPHY
The Press-Enterprise

SAN BERNARDINO - San Bernardino Cajon's Keenan Oakes deftly caught the high-arching pass with his left hand in the corner of the pool and flipped the ball to teammate Tyler Derbish in front of the goal.

Derbish whipped it to Barron Stangl at the right flank, who easily deposited it in the goal en route to a 22-1 victory against Rialto Carter.

That goal and water polo in general is the easy part for Oakes, a 15-year-old sophomore. He is second on the Cowboys with 43 goals and is lauded by his coach, John Chamberlain, for making everyone on a 14-7 team (8-2 in the San Andreas League) better.

The tough part for Keenan is looking in the crowd at Cowboy home games and seeing only his mom, Judy Oakes. Keenan's father, Jack Oakes, died suddenly of a heart attack the morning of April 17 in Glamis after an off-road mishap.

"It's like I lost my mentor," said Keenan recently as he sat in a Cajon classroom, his eyes welling with tears. "There's no person I can go to with questions about homework. My dad was really good at math."

Jack Oakes and sons Keenan, Adam (21) and Casey (18) and others were on a get-away to Glamis, a popular desert outpost near Brawley.

The group enjoyed riding quads up and down the rolling dunes and Jack relished his sand car. But the CV joint on the sand car broke.

The men struggled mightily to push the vehicle over a few small hills and then Jack walked ahead of the others to survey the situation. That's when his heart gave out, with the 6-foot-5, 335-pound man slumping to the hot sand.

Adam administered CPR for 45 minutes, but his efforts were in vain. The helicopter bound for Pioneer Memorial Hospital in Brawley arrived quickly after the incident, but Jack Oakes, 46, was already gone.

"Casey knew when they put him in the helicopter that he had died," Judy said. "Adam said 'I can't believe my dad is gone.' "

Judy, who was attending a seminar in Sacramento at the time, flew home immediately.

The tragedy was a shock for the community. Jack Oakes was a third-generation San Bernardino native, who played basketball at San Bernardino High. He met Judy at SBHS when they were 15 and they became sweethearts.

Six months later, the family is still reeling from the loss.

"My dad was overweight, but he had never been sick," Keenan said. "I couldn't believe that he died right in front of my eyes. Nothing prepares you emotionally for losing such a close family member."

A mountain of a man, Jack Oakes was formidable in many ways, including in his position as the Ramona-Alessandro Elementary School in San Bernardino principal. He spent the last eight years of his life there.

Family members referred to Jack as "Our MacGyver" (after the TV character) because of his ability and tenacity in completing household projects.

"Once he started a project, he couldn't stop until he was done," Keenan said. "If he had to stay up until midnight, he would."

Following in their father's footsteps, the Oakes boys finished what they started last season. Within days of their father's death, Keenan and Casey were in the pool, swimming for Cajon. So was Adam, who competed in the conference swim finals for Chaffey College.

"The boys never stopped competing," Judy said. "Their father wouldn't have wanted that."

Keenan has been forced to grow up quickly. The 5-foot-11 driver with the sandy-blond hair agrees things aren't all about him anymore.

"I can't just be the snobby little kid any more," Keenan said. "I used to make the smart-aleck remarks and be rude. Now I know I have to watch my tone and my attitude and show my mom respect."

Judy Oakes forges ahead. She still works for the Rialto Unified School District food division as an accountant. She still attends her three boys' aquatic events, including Keenan's games at Cajon, played under a scoreboard that says "In Loving Memory of Jack B. Oakes, 1963-2010."

The tragedy has served as an unfortunate reminder that nobody's time on this Earth is guaranteed.

"It makes you think," Keenan said. "I've had a few friends who have had family members die, but you don't think it will happen to your family. But really, it can happen to any one of us."

Reach John Murphy

at jomurphy@PE.com

Very sad! :(
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Jerry Seaver
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President

Post by Jerry Seaver »

Camper dies during motorcycle incident in Glamis

By SILVIO J. PANTA
Staff Writer

2:41 p.m. PST, November 23, 2010
GLAMIS -- A Bay area man suffered fatal injuries Monday when his motorcycle landed on top of him during a freak accident while riding up Oldsmobile Hill, an official said today.

Michael Neher, a 47-year-old Benicia resident, died of his injuries during the 4 p.m. incident that occurred when his motorcycle went over backwards, said Imperial County Supervising Coroner Charles Lucas.

Campers in the area said it was Neher's first time in the recreational area and that he camped alone, Lucas said.

jannypan
1st Gear Member

Post by jannypan »

I didn't read about any accidents or injuries. Usually, they would be in the papers by now. So, all in all, this is great news!

alyshka
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

From the news: 2009/10 Accidents in the ISDRA

Post by alyshka »

Off-roader suffers fatal injuries
Written by George Gale
Monday, 19 November 2012 08:14 (Arizona man killed in off-road incident)…It was reported at 7:20 Friday evening. Deputy Coroner Green says 54-year-old Michael Ryan was riding down hill at Gordon’s Well. He was in a Kawasaki ATV, similar to a Rhino. Ryan was ejected from the ATV, suffering fatal injuries. Green says an autopsy is pending to determine the exact cause of death. Large crowds have already begun arriving at the Imperial Sand Dune Recreational area to celebrate the long Thanksgiving Day Holiday. The Bureau of Land Management says the Thanksgiving Day Holiday is one of the biggest off-road Holiday weekends of the year, second to, and possibly equaling the New Years Holiday weekend.

Let's all be safe this week
Robert Hancock
"The task that has fallen to us as Americans is to keep alive the hope and dream of freedom"
Ronald Reagan
alyshka r.i.p. 1987-2004
Alyshka's Photos

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”