Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Jerry Seaver
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
Please enter the middle number: 5

floating Border Fence Holding Strong

Post by Jerry Seaver »

KVBC News 3

It has been one year since the U.S. Border Patrol's built its floating fence in the Imperial Sand Dunes. Stretching 11 miles long and 15 feet high, its steel metal beams separate Mexico from the United States. Designed to sit on top of the sand and have sand blow through it instead of pile up next to it, agents say it has been doing its job.

Vik also says, "It's one of the busiest areas. This place in particular was notorious drug trafficking."

Before the fence was built, smugglers and illegal immigrants would have easy access to Interstate-8. Vik says, “All they would have to do is walk a short distance and get picked up by someone on the other side or hop in a four wheel drive and across the sand."

Vik says activity in the area is almost nothing. “We have had in the entire fiscal year of 2009, only 66 attempts to cross the fence."

Vik praises the engineers who designed the fence. “They actually had to think way outside of the box to create this and it has exceeded expectations."

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Re: floating Border Fence Holding Strong

Post by Glamisbound »

Excellent =D>

I had my doubts at first, but it's doing its job :!:
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

I am with you GB I really didnt have any idea how they were going to build a fence thru the dunes. That fence really changed my duning world. We have abandon the Greys area for Ogilby because of the fence.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I'm still curious what the cost of maintenance on that section of fence is compared to the rest of the fence sections.

I'm glad they built it. I just want to know what the full and actual cost of it is.

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

Good fences make good nieghbors :wink: Friends & Family like the Fence :) I didn't realized how much of the good riding was in MX :shock: Still fun just a smaller area to ride & maybe a little safer :|

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Astro wrote:Good fences make good nieghbors :wink: Friends & Family like the Fence :) I didn't realized how much of the good riding was in MX :shock: Still fun just a smaller area to ride & maybe a little safer :|

Astro 8)
I agree but the set just below the border was the best. The other sets had no rhythem. But wont be able to go there again with the fence unless you go into Mex and that just aint worth it. Still too many good dunes on this side.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

gelwell wrote: Still too many good dunes on this side.
There is such a thing? :shock:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Woodglue wrote:
gelwell wrote: Still too many good dunes on this side.
There is such a thing? :shock:
I was thinking of quality of sets not the chop. Unfortunately everything is chopped. The east side of the dunes near Ogilby has less chop which is why we head there. Whilst Mex may have virgin sand only their first set has good flow and rhythem. It's a quality issue.

rinehart_mitch
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by rinehart_mitch »

I was there amonth ago, camping at gordons well. We decide to go ride into buttercup one day, my first time over at buttercup, and we cross the highway, and the 2 canals, we start riding towards the dunes, along the fince, not on the little rode, but close to it, the sign says, keep back 100 feet, but the thing is that we had to be MUCH closer than 100 foot away to read the sign, then we back off and 20 seconds later Border patrol comes FLYIN along that road... Is there sensors on that fence? i am assumin so, also if someone is reading this and has anysay in what goes on with that fence MAKE THE SIGNS BIGGER
Mitch
2006 Z400 White
Far From Stock

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Dunepilot »

Is there sensors on that fence?
They have a couple of mobile cameras, to the North and East of the Old Plank Road historical marker, to which they observe the area.
DunePilot

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Dunepilot wrote:
Is there sensors on that fence?
They have a couple of mobile cameras, to the North and East of the Old Plank Road historical marker, to which they observe the area.
They also have permanent cameras, as well as a number of other technologies that let them know when someone is near the border. It's the main reason why the fence isn't there to stop people from crossing, but rather to slow them down. That way there's time for the guys in trucks to catch up to them. For years now they've known whenever someone crossed the border - but too many duners were ignoring the border and making it easy for smugglers to blend in with them. With that many people flaunting the border they didn't have the manpower to stop them all even if they could watch them all do it.

Jerry Seaver

Post by Jerry Seaver »

Here is some of the technology that allows the Border Patrol to know what is going on at the Border.

New technology helps BP prevent illegal entries

November 29, 2009 2:26 PM
BY JAMES GILBERT, SUN STAFF WRITER

A mobile radar and camera system has been playing an important role in preventing illegal entries into the country for the Yuma Sector Border Patrol by allowing them to see things they have never been able to see before.

Agent Shaun Kuzia, a spokesman for the Yuma Sector, said the mobile surveillance system (MSS) lets agents in the field detect and identify people and vehicles illegally entering the country from as far as seven miles away.

"They allow us to be more efficient and effective," Kuzia said. "They allow us to detect an entry, get our agents in position and bring the incident to a law enforcement conclusion more rapidly."

Built and developed by Telephonics Electronic Systems, with the assistance of the Border Patrol, the mobile surveillance system is equipped with daytime video camera, a nighttime video camera with thermal imaging, ground surveillance radar, a GPS unit and a laser range finder.

"We still use the traditional methods of agents out patrolling the border," Kuzia said. "What this allows us to do is cover larger areas with fewer agents."

In explaining how the mobile surveillance system works, Kuzia said the radar makes a 180-degree sweep every 10 seconds across a 10-mile-wide swath, and its two cameras can see nearly seven miles out.

Kuzia said once the radar gets a hit, the cameras automatically focus on that location. At that point an agent will be able to use the camera to identify what what type of radar hit it was — whether it is wildlife, a vehicle or a group of illegal aliens or drug smugglers walking with heavy bags - possibly carrying backpacks of marijuana.

"If the subjects are close enough, the cameras operators can even tell if the subjects are carrying weapons," Kuzia said.

The GPS locates the radar hit precisely, and the laser range finder can be used to lock a point of light on a subject or target that will be visible only by agents who are wearing night vision goggles.

Mounted on the back of a flatbed truck, each unit can be raised 18 feet into the air. The passenger seat in the truck faces backwards, which allows the agent to view computer monitors and operate a control console, which are also mounted inside the cab of the vehicle.

Although he wouldn't give an exact number due to operational security, Kuzia said the Yuma Sector has several mobile surveillance systems deployed throughout the sector at any given time.

Kuzia added the mobile surveillance system's effectiveness is also making it a deterrent against illegal entries and drug smuggling attempts.

"We can respond exactly to where the threat is and shut it down as soon as possible," Kuzia said.

Earlier this month, a mobile surveillance system spotted the heat from torches being used to cut away a large section of the border fence near San Luis on its thermal imaging and notified agents in the area.

"They didn't get very far because the mobile surveillance system operator led agents to their vehicles," Kuzia said. "They knew they were going to get caught."

Border Patrol agents from the Yuma Station were able to seize two vehicles and more than a ton of marijuana as a result of the detection.

Kuzia said the national strategy of the Border Patrol has been to find the right mix of manpower, technology and infrastructure to secure the nation's border, and that the Yuma Sector has done that well for the past two to three years.

"We feel we have done a good job of accomplishing that goal," Kuzia said.

Kuzia said the mobile surveillance systems are moved around frequently, based on the amount of activity occurring in any given area of the sector.

Being able to see the incursion, Kuzia said, also allows agents to send an appropriate response, which leaves other agents freed up to handle other responses.

James Gilbert can be reached at jgilbert@yumasun.com or 539-6854.

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”