Christmas in Glamis (and a first-timer)

Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Rob.G

Christmas in Glamis (and a first-timer)

Post by Rob.G »

I've never been to Glamis. So far I've only been to Sand Mountain in Nevada and Pismo. But now that I've relocated to SoCal for work, Glamis and Dumont are both pretty close.

With no Christmas plans, I'm getting a small group of friends to spend Dec 24-27 there. Since I've never been, I thought I'd post and ask for tips on what to expect.

The friends that are joining me suggested camping off of Wash Road. It sounds like this might be a good place since the road was just redone. I have a Keystone Raptor toyhauler, so I can't venture too far into the sand. It's a good thing I used a tent at Pismo or I woulda been hopelessly stuck (or wet). :)

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Rob

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Christmas in Glamis (and a first-timer)

Post by Sandcock »

I would suggest that you camp somewhere near the aSa guys. They are a great bunch with a lot of experience. They can give you some great information on do's and don'ts in the ISDRA, how to ride safely out there, landmark areas and how to get to them, etc. link here: http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... 90&t=25616

How did you find out about aSa :?:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

I was a member of ASA years ago when I first started dune riding at Sand Mountain. I got out of it for a few years (replaced it with snowmobiling). Now I'm back again, so I'll probably re-join.

I always ride with a GPS, even in the smaller dune areas. At Glamis, it's so big I can see it'll be mandatory.

Where do the ASA guys camp?

Rob

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

They are usually in 24 or 25 because it is less crowded. The closer to the Glamis Beach Store (GBS) you are the more crowded it gets. Go to the Duner Connection Forum in this aSa forum and you can see who's going out, i.e. Woodglue, GlamisSandDuner, and others. You can pm them for more info.

btw, good to see you back in aSa.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

Rob, Sandcock is right the asa guys are a great group to hang with and will help you with getting around. You really dont want to be by the store it is also by the hwy 78 train crossing and everytime a train crosses you get that loud train whistle that will move you right out of your bed.

Also once you go to the ISDRA you'll never go back to pismo or some of the other dune spots in the west. It is simply the best riding. You might want to try the south dunes too either Buttercup or Gordons.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

Cool, so down near the end of Wash Road, right? I saw the train tracks on the map and went, 'uh oh!'

Yeah I may go ahead and buy the season pass instead of the weekly pass. Depends how quick I can get it. I'm in between addresses right this minute and won't have one until next weekend to have anything shipped to (it's the one downside of living fulltime in an RV).

I went to Pismo once; I have no desire to ever go back. I love Sand Mountain. It's not a huge area by any means, but the dunes are so much fun. Tall and steep. It looks like Glamis has some of that too. I'm still dying to go to St. Anthony. Maybe in 2010.

I'll go over to the Dune Connection forum now. Thanks!

Rob

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs »

Rob,

Welcome to the board.

Agree with the others in that your first ISDRA trip will be better if you hang with folks who have been there and have experience. In talking with some of the BLM folks and vendors, the Christmas Holiday (the 23 to the 25) traditionally, the place is really DEAD. People don’t start showing up until AFTER Christmas and right before New Years.

So, if you can’t find a group to camp with, I would suggest camping closer to 78 in Wash 4 to 8. They won’t be crowded and you will be closer to what little ‘civilization’ there is out there. The trains are really not that bad. At least I don’t’ think so. I kinda like the trains.

Also, (though you may already know) it could be vewy, vewy COLD. Below freezing every night.

Good luck and have a great time.
L&L
It is not ours to decide the times in which we live.
It is only ours to decide what to do with the time given us.

Make the most of your time.

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

Wow if it's gonna be that cold at night, I will probably just run the generator all night and run space heaters in addition to the furnace. My batteries (and propane) wouldn't last very long in those conditions!! It's times like this when I really miss my truck camper. MUCH easier to heat than this monster.

Rob

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

Let me extend my welcome as well. One other thing to keep in mind is that the ISDRA has quiet time from 10pm-6am, so running a generator all night (unless its one of those super quiet ones like the Honda 3000) can result in a noise complaint and a visit from Mr. Ranger.

I usually roll out on the 26th, though I have been as early as the 25th, and it is VERY quiet and uncrowded. The crowd will build as it gets closer to New Years, but based on what I saw at Thanksgiving, I expect the New Year's attendance to be way down, so there will be plenty of space in the washes.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

I looked it up and it's rated at 67db at 3 meters at half-load. Aim the exhaust pipe away from anybody else and I doubt anybody would notice.

Sand Mountain has a "quiet time" too and nobody pays any attention to it, nor is it enforced. I don't like it either; I'm actually very quiet. I don't ride at night, or rather, past probably 9-10 pm. I don't race through camp, I don't blare music (I rarely even play it).

I'm just saying that temps may necessitate it, otherwise batteries will be toast. I think this will apply to most people, unless you have a bank of at least six batteries and more than my two 120-watt solar panels. The angle of the sun really sucks in the winter. :)

Rob

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

My motorhome is only a 25', so it's not big, but we only have 1 group 27 battery and one 9 gal propane tank and it works fine to set the thermostat to 60 at night and just run the Gen for 45 minutes or so the next day when noise isn't an issue - never a problem even for a 5 day trip in the middle of winter.

DuneRookie
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by DuneRookie »

Heaters?? I still do the tent thing. Just need extra blankets or good sleeping bags. Don't need no heaters. :lol:

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

DuneRookie wrote:Heaters?? I still do the tent thing. Just need extra blankets or good sleeping bags. Don't need no heaters. :lol:
you just don't know what you are missing...Once you go heater, frig, and shower, you never go back....
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

DR..........."heaters :?: I don't need no stinken heaters" :lol:

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Welcome Rob. I'm looking to get out to Wash Rd for New Years. Hope to see you if your still there OR if I can get out there early enough.

That will be my first time in a real rig made for camping. In the past its been about heat lamps, hot water bottles and lots of blankets. I'd hate your first trip to be messed up by the guy in the next camp over shutting off your genny in the middle of the night.

I'd say the wash 24 group of people are by far the best group of people I have ever camped with. Well except for Washroad. Hes a whinny little bast-erd \:D/ "Wheres my Jack?" "Whats up with the camp racers?" "Get my 2X6 I'm gonna get that guy" :lol:

Just mess'n. They're all great. Like everybody says once you do the ISDRA there's no where else you need to go. Hope to see you there.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

Sloppyduner wrote:
I'd say the wash 24 group of people are by far the best group of people I have ever camped with. Well except for Washroad. Hes a whinny little bast-erd \:D/ "Wheres my Jack?" "Whats up with the camp racers?" "Get my 2X6 I'm gonna get that guy" :lol:
I am whinny, really hate it when people try to mess with my Jack, and those 2 x 6s will stop a camp racer!

Rob, welcome!

Seriously, I only run my heater for a bit in the morning when I first get up (run the genny then also to make coffee). When my wife has had enough fun for the day and wants to go to bed, I run it again for a bit to get the coach nice and then shut it off. I, personally, prefer a few extra blankets to the heater, even at home we shut the heat off when we go to bed. I've never found it so cold that blankets won't keep you warm enough.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Washroad wrote:
Sloppyduner wrote:
I am whinny, really hate it when people try to mess with my Jack, and those 2 x 6s will stop a camp racer!

Rob, welcome!

Seriously, I only run my heater for a bit in the morning when I first get up (run the genny then also to make coffee). When my wife has had enough fun for the day and wants to go to bed, I run it again for a bit to get the coach nice and then shut it off. I, personally, prefer a few extra blankets to the heater, even at home we shut the heat off when we go to bed. I've never found it so cold that blankets won't keep you warm enough.
by "home" he means a shallow cave down by the river. By heat he means burning trash he found along the river. By blankets he means dogs, and cats. By morning he means sometimes around 2 PM.

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

I may be a despicable old guy, but at least they named a road after me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Now, now, girls, behave :lol:
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

MattV

Post by MattV »

You two are going to scare the new guy off.
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

Wow, more replies! I guess the site doesn't keep emailing you about them after a certain time.

Hey, I have a nice big down comforter on the bed, so I'm fine to a point. :)

I did some research and my generator is supposedly "after-hours rated" so that should be a good thing. I just need to get a new carburetor on it before the trip, since the old one is messed up and is non-serviceable. **** Onans generators. My next generator is going to be fully serviceable, by gosh.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the best route from Torrance. I just got here yesterday, and the 405 freeway down here was unpleasant to say the least. I think I need new rear shocks (I have Bilsteins now).

Anyway, Google Maps says 405 to 5 to San Diego, then 8, but that appears to be the southern end. Ah here we go, found the directions on duneguide.com. I-80 to 86 to 78.

Rob

MattV

Post by MattV »

I too have an Onan, and quite honestly the only other one I would consider is a Kohler.

Before you drop money on a new carb, take this one off and clean it as best you can. Carb cleaner through it, etc.

Several years ago, I had a carb issue with mine. "Probably has junk in it, and there's no way to clean one of these," said the counter-man. I bought the new one since I was planning to leave that afternoon, but before replacing the old, I took it off and gave it a thorough cleaning. It worked perfectly after that and I returned the new carb and got my $120, back.
Since then, I've added a petcock in the fuel line so I can turn the fuel supply off and run it dry before it sits for a long time. No problems since.

Just set the furnace at 60 or so to take the edge off, and remember to shut it off during the day. If you do any cooking inside, at night, don't be leaving the door open afterward. That will help, too. We easily make it through the night on the batteries, and can easily get two dune trips (3-4 nights each) on one filling of propane (two 7.5 gal. tanks).

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

We had to replace the carb on our Onan within a year due to fuel varnishing :oops: Yes I did try a rebuild kit first & it was a little better, but wouldn't run consistantly or start easily :( Rebuilds even @ the factory have a 50/50 sucess ratio, so you can give it a shot & if it doesn't work put a new carb on it :wink: My nieghbor who owns an Onan repair center says it's due to the small passages etc... on the newer more fuel efficent/clean generators :roll: We just keep Stabil in our tank now & run it one a month to keep everything working :)

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

I've put way too much time and effort into this piece of junk, it's time for a new carb. I've done 4-5 treatments with Quicksilver Power Tune, and while it did help get the thing running, it hasn't cured the problem. Since you can't get into it to clean it, I think it's toast.

Plus, if I had known a new carb was only $163 on eBay, I would have done it much sooner. Instead, I listened to some parts shop in San Jose who said one was like $300-400, and instead sold me another part for it that they swore would fix it (for $120) but didn't. And of course they wouldn't take the part back.

If I get another generator, it'll be a Honda. They make two RV-specific models -- a 3000 and a 6000. I hope to get another Lance camper in the next year or two, after I pay off some debt. Instead of getting the factory Onan in it (propane), I will probably put that Honda 3000 in it instead. Quieter, and won't eat up all my propane. The one upset of a propane generator, though, is it doesn't gum up.

The guy who is joining me at Glamis over Christmas suggested Wash 10 for a place to camp. Maybe I should suggest to him that we go down near Wash 25. He won't even show up until late on the 24th.

Rob

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Rob.G wrote:Anyway, Google Maps says 405 to 5 to San Diego, then 8, but that appears to be the southern end. Ah here we go, found the directions on duneguide.com. I-80 to 86 to 78.
Not sure why you'd want to head up to San Francisco (where I-80 originates) to get to Glamis? #-o :lol: :lol: Guessing that was a typo. From Torrance I'd suggest the 91 to the 60 to I-10 to 86-S to 78. Just be aware that the 91 east sucks most evenings. I live in north OC and if I'm leaving on a Friday night I wait until 7:30 or so to hop on the 91 - driving a motorhome with a trailer in stop-and-go traffic isn't my idea of fun.

Some people avoid the steep climb through the badlands area of the 60 (a 3 mile climb between Moreno Valley and Beaumont) by staying on the 91 to the 10, but that adds 5 miles and you still have to gain elevation to get to Beaumont.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

I have a WW that I bought used and didn't have a genny. I bought a craftsman 3600 that I'd carry out in the bed of my truck to use, but because it was so loud I tried not to use it much. I bought a Honda 2000i and plan on getting another one and hooking them together to get 4000 watts. The 2000 will run the AC with nothing else turned on. Having the 4000 capability will allow me to run other things at the same time. I'm not sure if you will get the needed wattage out of the 3000. The 2000 ran me somewhere around $1100. The kit to hook two up is around $150. The 2000 is super quiet and gets 3-4 hours on full load per gallon or about 7 hours per gallon without a big load. It's light and very portable. I'm a happy camper with it :wink:

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

Whoops, yeah, typo. :)

So 7:30 is a good departure time? I'll keep that in mind. I figured on leaving here around 7 PM at the earliest for the same reason. Now, isn't 91 a toll road? At least that's what I think Google Maps said. Five axles could get expensive.

Rob

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

You can drive 91 without paying a toll. Its more or less the carpool lane that they charge a toll, but only part way.

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

The toll lanes of the 91 are only available for those that have purchased the toll transponder.

Mudkattgowfo
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Mudkattgowfo »

MattV wrote:I too have an Onan, and quite honestly the only other one I would consider is a Kohler.

Before you drop money on a new carb, take this one off and clean it as best you can. Carb cleaner through it, etc.

Several years ago, I had a carb issue with mine. "Probably has junk in it, and there's no way to clean one of these," said the counter-man. I bought the new one since I was planning to leave that afternoon, but before replacing the old, I took it off and gave it a thorough cleaning. It worked perfectly after that and I returned the new carb and got my $120, back.
Since then, I've added a petcock in the fuel line so I can turn the fuel supply off and run it dry before it sits for a long time. No problems since.

Just set the furnace at 60 or so to take the edge off, and remember to shut it off during the day. If you do any cooking inside, at night, don't be leaving the door open afterward. That will help, too. We easily make it through the night on the batteries, and can easily get two dune trips (3-4 nights each) on one filling of propane (two 7.5 gal. tanks).
Couple of Questions here - What do you run on propane that is using all your gas? I have a 30ft WW and run the bejeebies out of the heater, oven, stove, and BBQ outside is hooked to my WW tanks as well. I only fill up maybe 3 times a year (2 7.5 bottles) and we are in Oregon Dunes couple of times a month from Feb to Turkey day.

As to Generators I have the Kohler and finding service is an issue as you need to find a Kenworth/Peterbilt dealer usually. Most RV places just work ONAN. Must have to do with the "just replace it, don't fix it" When My Kohler breaks I'm going to 2 Honda 2000's as they work great and you just can't hear them running. They will both fit in my current Generator hole and I can get rid of my Gas tank in the WW.

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

First, I live fulltime in my RV... It has two 7.5 gal tanks.

While in a park, the only propane I use is the furnace and the water heater. I only run the water heater when I want to shower, and I also plan dishes around that same time so it only gets run once a day.

Heat-wise, at least up in the Bay Area, it was getting cold enough at night (30's) that with it set to 60-62, I was still burning through one tank in about two weeks. In the warmer months, I used one tank a month, if that. I carry a third tank with me as a spare too, so if I'm dry camping, I can run down two tanks and still have a third to rely on til I can get two filled. That way the fridge can stay running.

When I had my Lance camper (a 2000 model, 11' floor length, no slide-outs), it also had two 7.5 gal tanks. If I ran the generator, which was propane-powered, it would drain one 7.5 gal tank in about 12 hours if it was under a good load, i.e. running the A/C.

Rob

BHenry

Post by BHenry »

WoodIsGood wrote:The toll lanes of the 91 are only available for those that have purchased the toll transponder.
Plus they don't allow vehicles pulling trailers in the toll lanes. Part of that "in California, vehicles towing are restricted to the right two lanes"

From Torrance, you're really kind of stuck heading east on any freeway during rush hour(s). If you can get out earlier (like around 9 or 10am), it will be easier as most commuters are at work by that time. Plus you'll be able to get to Glamis when it's still light, making it easier to find a camp site (I'd strongly recommend that for a first timer, as the washes can be deceiving at night).
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

MattV

Post by MattV »

Mudkattgowfo wrote:
MattV wrote:I too have an Onan, and quite honestly the only other one I would consider is a Kohler.

Couple of Questions here - What do you run on propane that is using all your gas? I have a 30ft WW and run the bejeebies out of the heater, oven, stove, and BBQ outside is hooked to my WW tanks as well. I only fill up maybe 3 times a year (2 7.5 bottles) and we are in Oregon Dunes couple of times a month from Feb to Turkey day.

As to Generators I have the Kohler and finding service is an issue as you need to find a Kenworth/Peterbilt dealer usually. Most RV places just work ONAN. Must have to do with the "just replace it, don't fix it" When My Kohler breaks I'm going to 2 Honda 2000's as they work great and you just can't hear them running. They will both fit in my current Generator hole and I can get rid of my Gas tank in the WW.
That probably has more to do with making sure the tanks are full every couple of trips, then it does their actually being empty. I tend to have them filled every couple of trips whether they need it or not. Either way, my point was that there shouldn't be any problem with running out of propane in the dunes.

No one I know with a Kohler has ever needed a service center, so I have never heard that complaint. As for my Onan, other than my initial carb issue that I fixed, it has never needed anything beyond routine maintenance which I do on my own.

You could also keep the gas tank and convert it to a fueling station.

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

Hey, does anybody have a text list, GPX file or similar, of the various waypoints around Glamis? I see them on duneguide.com, but thought I'd ask here first, before creating them all by hand. :)

Rob

Mudkattgowfo
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Mudkattgowfo »

MattV wrote:
That probably has more to do with making sure the tanks are full every couple of trips, then it does their actually being empty. I tend to have them filled every couple of trips whether they need it or not. Either way, my point was that there shouldn't be any problem with running out of propane in the dunes.

No one I know with a Kohler has ever needed a service center, so I have never heard that complaint. As for my Onan, other than my initial carb issue that I fixed, it has never needed anything beyond routine maintenance which I do on my own.

You could also keep the gas tank and convert it to a fueling station.
OK That makes sense to me now about the propane. I needed the service center to ID the type of Genny I had as all number plates seem to be missing/smoothed over? And I was looking for a service manual. Found a place right down the street.

As to the fueling station, I ride Banshees, one needs Race gas with it's oil and the other needs oil with its Pump gas. So it's cans for me for awhile. Also the tank is way in the back and I am always worried about scraping it out of the trailer even with the axles flipped so I am higher.

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

I have a filling station in my trailer, but since the generator feeds off the same tank, it seems silly to put 91 octane in it when the gen only needs 87. So the only time I use the filling station is with my Sportsman or Grizzly, which run on 87. The Outlaws use 91.

Plus, the Outlaws get surprisingly good gas mileage -- as in 35-45 mpg (compared to 23-25 on the Sportsman and high teens on the Grizzly).

Rob

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Plug time. Check out my Glamis Dunes Storage banner and look up what they have available gas, race gas, and propane needs. I have only used them for storage, but I know they have gas over there YES it might be more than in Brawley, or around your house. And its alot nicer than taking 2 hours to go into town. Infact with a phone call ahead of time you might even be able to ride your quad across the 78 (at a 90degree angle) and go fill it up right out of their pump. If you HAD to, it would be real easy to take a motorhome over there (once you unlevel it) I'd even go so far as to say even with a trailer(to put your cans on) there is pleanty of room to manuver over there. While your there you can dump AND refill your water.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to call them before you leave home to get a ruff idea of prices and set up a way to get in their gate.
And if you have it in your heart please mention you heard about it from the Below 10K guy. [-o<

MattV

Post by MattV »

Rob.G wrote:Hey, does anybody have a text list, GPX file or similar, of the various waypoints around Glamis? I see them on duneguide.com, but thought I'd ask here first, before creating them all by hand. :)

Rob
Hmmm Won't let me add a data file. PM me with your email.

MattV

Post by MattV »

Glamisbound wrote:
DuneRookie wrote:Heaters?? I still do the tent thing. Just need extra blankets or good sleeping bags. Don't need no heaters. :lol:
you just don't know what you are missing...Once you go heater, frig, and shower, you never go back....
Sometimes it's nice to throw the tent and sleeping bags on the rail and hit the trail. Dirt won't hurt you. :mrgreen:

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

I do that off of my Sportsman 850. I can pack pretty much everything I need for a couple nights on the trail into my storage box and a small duffle on top of it.

Are there any good trails around there? It looks like there might be some riding to the east up into those mountains, but I know there's a wilderness area up that way too.

Rob

MattV

Post by MattV »

Trails around Glamis? I don't know. If you fid your way to AZ, I know a bunch, though.

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Rob.G wrote:I do that off of my Sportsman 850. I can pack pretty much everything I need for a couple nights on the trail into my storage box and a small duffle on top of it.

Are there any good trails around there? It looks like there might be some riding to the east up into those mountains, but I know there's a wilderness area up that way too.

Rob
Tons of riding east of Glamis especially on the other side of Ogibly road near Gold rock and Tumco. There is the Indian wash road just of Ogilby road that has miles of riding. Most those roads were made during Pattons training days before WWII. Indian Wash road takes you all the way down to the Colorado River at the Picacho State river park. ATV's arent allow in the park though.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

I thought it was Indian Pass Road.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Washroad wrote:I thought it was Indian Pass Road.
yeah you're right I just couldn't think of it when I wrote the response. Thanks

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

My Christmas grip to Glamis is falling apart. My (soon to be ex) wife is having a cow. She told me flatly two weeks ago that I was NOT welcome home over Christmas so I was out of luck.

NOW she's changing her tune and is acting like she wants me there, but at the same time doesn't want me to actually be around, or something. I don't quite get it. Her big thing is for me to be there for my daughter (whom I DO want to be able to be with on Christmas, but it seems to me that my soon-to-be-ex is making that nearly impossible).

So anyway, after that bit of TMI needed to preface this question... if I end up NOT doing Glamis over Christmas, I'm DEFINITELY going to do it over New Years'. How early should I realistically get there in order to find a decent site somewhere between Wash 10 and 25? I MIGHT be able to leave as early as Tues night, but it might be Weds night.

Rob

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

If you're camping in the washes Rob, Wednesday night is good to get a place to camp. It will be especially good if you're hooking up with a group that is already going to be there. Washes always have room.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Rob.G

Post by Rob.G »

I won't know anybody over New Years; I was hoping to meet up with other ASA folks if possible.

Rob

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Rob.G wrote: I was hoping to meet up with other ASA folks if possible.
Be patient guys (LSOutInTheStreet & Rob.G) ... the committee is coming to a consensus. (i.e. voting). :lol:
You seem like good folks, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Stand by for an invite. :wink:
PS: I camp in a family loop near the ASA Camp. So, I can't invite you into a camp that I'm not camping in. :lol:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

count me in.................if my 660 runs. I plan on a day ride to ocotillo next week. if she rides sweet I'll meet you guys out there

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”