Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Target Shooting

Post by jhitesma »

Just a heads up since I know this has been raised several times in the past. Apparently the BLM's current stance in regards to target shooting in the dunes is somewhat stricter than previously believed.

I received an e-mail from someone telling Salvador Nieblas at the BLM to ask me to update Glamisonline.org (which I had to forward to Vince since that's his site) saying that the "Ask a Ranger" page has incorrect information.

The person contacting Salvador Nieblas was refering to this glamisonline page:
http://www.glamisonline.org/dunes_law_e ... t_faqs.asp

That page is fairly dated and I believe the source of the answers is no longer at the El Centro BLM. I know we've had at least two head rangers for enforcement since it was written. Vince would know more about the source of those answers and how recently the page was updated and may chime in.

Anyway the response Salvador gave in this exchange was:
By you asking about Glamis I will assume you mean the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area. Areas immediately outside the ISDRA have different rules and or regulations.

If you want to "shoot" within the Imperial Sand Dunes, it is prohibited under 43CFR8365.2-5. See below.

43 CFR 8365.2-5 Public health, safety and comfort.
On developed recreation sites and areas, unless otherwise authorized, no person shall:
(a) Discharge or use firearms, other weapons, or fireworks

43 CFR 8365.1-4 Public health, safety and comfort.
(a) No person shall cause a public disturbance or create a risk to other persons on public lands by engaging in activities which include, but are not limited to, the following:
(2) Creating a hazard or nuisance;

I forwarded the message to Vince since he maintains Glamisonline. But also replied to Salvatore that if this is the new policy the BLM may want to update their own FAQ:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/elcentro ... l#shooting
Where is it legal to target shoot?
On BLM land, you can target shoot anywhere it is not otherwise posted providing you meet all county, state and federal guidelines concerning safety, weapon bans, and trash clean up laws/regulations. Any question in regards to a specific location should be addressed by phone or in person.
I've never heard of Salvator before, his signature says "Supervisory Law Enforcement Ranger" from El Centro. After I pointed out what the BLM's FAQ says he replied back saying he would have a look at it.

This seems like a fairly major policy change that I know a number of people on here would like to know about.

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Target Shooting

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

All the pages on GOL are dated. Any volunteers out there interested in sprucing things up?
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

This was brought up on another site as well. I'm unclear on where the BLM stands on this but would like clarification since I've enjoyed the right to shoot out there in the past.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

The person contacting the BLM who forwarded this to me (who's reply to the BLM included the line " I love your FAQ's section on the internet. It proves that stupid people have stupid babies and they want to play with high speed vehicles in the sand with little regard to their own safety. ") questioned the legality of shooting because the ISDRA is a "Developed recreation site" and that seems to be what Salvatore was responding to.

However, as we've learned before in researching the fee issue the dunes are NOT a developed recreation site. To be classified as such they'd need to add things like picnic pavilions, showers, camping pads, fire rings and the other amenities common to national park style recreation areas.

I don't know if this is just one ranger who's new to the beat and made a mistake...or if it's a new policy from above. Just thought I'd bring it to everyones attention since I know there are a number of people on here who it affects. If it does affect you I'd highly suggest contacting Keenan Barios (if he's still the head ranger, and I haven't heard otherwise and I've been listening since our group has no interest in going back until he's gone) directly and getting the answer from as high up as possible.

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”